UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Any help would be greatly appreciated !!!
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Big spike hamme
UKC Forum Member

Any help would be greatly appreciated !!!

Got two x bred 1yr olds .......never been outside the pen ...never seen a coon and when I say green I'm talking John Deere green gentlemen !!!!! Never wore a collar never been on a lead never seen the woods or anything of the such !!!!! Now then with that being said .....showed them a caged coon never had any interest in it.....barked once or twice acted shy around it...took them to the timber...ran played noses to the ground walked up on two shined coon trees with coins in them ...never cared...no interest at all... took a trapped cat in a cage ...once again go up smell it bark once maybe twice cat moves in cage and they shy away .....should I give up ??? Any advice would be greatly appreciated !!!! Thank you in advance ...

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-28-2017 05:34 AM
Big spike hamme is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Big spike hamme Click here to Send Big spike hamme a Private Message Find more posts by Big spike hamme Add Big spike hamme to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
POTOMAC
UKC Forum Member

Let the pups run during the day would be best for them ! They know nothing and you have to treat them as such!!also you can take a coon and turn it lose during the day where the pups can see it run from them that will trigger a lot of pups to get fired up but do not make them go to the trap or force them on anything ! You could also bring another dog and he the other older dog barking at cage might get them fired up but my guess is they know nothing but the cage that they have been raised in . Not there fault and they might end up being culls but without having a decent chance to make it before making that call isn't fai to the pups , 571-233-5819 if I could help give me a call good luck but they are no different then 8 week old pups for no more that has beendonewoththem! Get there trust in you and then you will see what they have in there dna

Old Post 04-28-2017 10:52 AM
POTOMAC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for POTOMAC Click here to Send POTOMAC a Private Message Find more posts by POTOMAC Add POTOMAC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bk1977
UKC Forum Member

Be patient

Sometimes advice doesn't come easy on this forum, although there is tons of knowledge here if you can tap into it. I would let the pups have as much time loose as possible, don't worry about not them not caring about the coon or cat. That's not out of line for pups with no exposure. Chances are they have no confidence loose, I know it sounds crazy. I have seen several green pups that acted like" the man on a chain", or in the kennel, where they are comfortable. You turn them loose and they become complete goof balls. They may look at that coon for 10 minutes and act scared, or not care. Then flip and eat a hole in the cage. What you have is a lottery ticket, hope you hit it big. Be patient, take them out in the daytime. When you see them start to gather their thoughts, take them with a good steady finished hound. Good luck,

Old Post 04-29-2017 05:42 AM
bk1977 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bk1977 Click here to Send bk1977 a Private Message Click Here to Email bk1977 Find more posts by bk1977 Add bk1977 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Big spike hamme
UKC Forum Member

Appreciate that bk. Thanks you have enlightened me and gave me some hope ...i think I will start taking them to explore the timber in the daylight run play act stupid then start with some drags and just love them up a bit and see how it goes !!! Any other advice on what steps to take to help me out I would greatly appreciate !!!

Old Post 04-29-2017 05:48 AM
Big spike hamme is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Big spike hamme Click here to Send Big spike hamme a Private Message Find more posts by Big spike hamme Add Big spike hamme to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
OldRook
UKC Forum Member

A year in and now you are asking for advice? Why did you do this to two pups who never had a chance ?

Sad

Old Post 04-29-2017 07:22 AM
OldRook is offline Click Here to See the Profile for OldRook Click here to Send OldRook a Private Message Find more posts by OldRook Add OldRook to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Sorry but you have me totally confused. Just a month ago you posted you hunt 5-6 nights a week and wanting to charge $450 to hunt dogs for people. This month you have two pups a year old that have never been out of the pen. Sorry but this seems confusing to me.

This was your post
Il put your dog in the hunts or the timber!!!
I can hunt your dog 5-6 nights a week !!! what you would like to have done .?? ..I can make it happen !!! I charge $450 a month and will hunt hard ..!! I live in southern illinois I have feeders and lots of heavy timber to push a dog in .....pm me ... I can take young dogs to be started ...finished dogs to tune up ....or can push one in the hunts .. just let me know how I can help you out !!! 618 322 8251

Old Post 04-29-2017 01:08 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CHEWBACH
UKC Forum Member

Re: .

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce m. Conkey
Sorry but you have me totally confused. Just a month ago you posted you hunt 5-6 nights a week and wanting to charge $450 to hunt dogs for people. This month you have two pups a year old that have never been out of the pen. Sorry but this seems confusing to me.

This was your post
Il put your dog in the hunts or the timber!!!
I can hunt your dog 5-6 nights a week !!! what you would like to have done .?? ..I can make it happen !!! I charge $450 a month and will hunt hard ..!! I live in southern illinois I have feeders and lots of heavy timber to push a dog in .....pm me ... I can take young dogs to be started ...finished dogs to tune up ....or can push one in the hunts .. just let me know how I can help you out !!! 618 322 8251

Now thats funny!! there is a few in my area Younger guys put on this board!! thats into training for public!!!! but really dont know much about the sport!! about what to do with dogs !! other than take money from people!!Good catch Bruce!!

Old Post 04-29-2017 01:29 PM
CHEWBACH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CHEWBACH Click here to Send CHEWBACH a Private Message Find more posts by CHEWBACH Add CHEWBACH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wjoey
Banned

Boys I will hunt your dogs for $300 a month plus feed I will hunt them from my couch 7 days a week , guaranteed they will get hunted just as much as my personal dogs, this great deal is only good while its hot

UKC PREFORMANCE SIRE Nt ch pkc ch BAM BAM The only one out of WORLD CH BIG D X GRNT SKIPPERS UMFORGIVEN SAIGE she has 21 pups 4nt ch 5 grnt ch thats 42.85%
He is a coon dog!
Nt ch ch Insane Minnie MouseInsane cain x Malden Branch Mouse

HOME OF 2 TIME AQHA HORSE OF THE YEAR
World champion working cow horse snaffle bit
SMART LITTLE LEGEND
ETCHA CHAMPION
HCHA CHAMPION
Top 16 NCHA WORLD Champion
Home of GHSRA All Around Cowboy Champion Chris wilbanks

Jerico Rebel our Movie star horse hes been in three films now 35 years old
Just passed away February 4th 2016

MY OLD DOGS GONE BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN
The one I will allways miss now deceased 01/09/2013
GR CH GRAND NT CH Handosme Trudy
SIRE PKC WLD CH GR NT WHATS UP DOC
DAM GR NT HUTCHINS SUGAR

GRCH GR NT CH COBBLER CREEK WENDY
GR NT STYLISH TUFF - WENDY X STYLISH LIPPER
GR NT STYLISH TACK - WENDY X STYLISH LIPPER

NT CH SOUTHERN STYLE - JP'S HIGH STYLE X HOUSES LADY

Old Post 04-29-2017 01:39 PM
wjoey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wjoey Click here to Send wjoey a Private Message Find more posts by wjoey Add wjoey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Big spike hamme
UKC Forum Member

To start off ...i can hunt 5-6 nights a week I'm retired military and have no job I have to be at !!!! I do have land to hunt and run dogs for the public !!!! I didn't do this to these two dogs !!! I got them 3 weeks ago !!!!! And that's why i don't know how to handle the situation ..they are bloodhound coonhound x bred hounds...and I've never handle a dog that is in these two hounds situation!!!...... so I'm guessing since I took a chance on these two hounds and have hit a road block and was asking for some advice somehow that makes me incapable of hunting someone else's hound or pushing one in the hunts ??? Please explain to me why you feel this way Bruce Conky??

Old Post 04-29-2017 04:46 PM
Big spike hamme
UKC Forum Member

Cause if your saying ...... that your confused about me asking for help with two 1yr old cause i have an add saying i will run hounds for $450 a month on feeders or push them in the hunts .......that would be just as i could ask anyone who has a gntch or that comp hunts ...why I should believe them cause they ask one month about a rule they don't know then they turn right back around and go hunt yet another hunt !!!! Or talk about how they are freeing on spider eyes squirrel nest etc...but yet still seem to always be in the winners circle.........sorry I reached out for a bit of help !!!! And thanks for running me in the dirt Bruce by copying my add and making a big deal bout it !!! Highly respected you till I read your post !!! Have a good day gentlemen ...hope you all walk a lil taller today

Old Post 04-29-2017 05:10 PM
Big spike hamme
UKC Forum Member

Cause if your saying ...... that your confused about me asking for help with two 1yr old cause i have an add saying i will run hounds for $450 a month on feeders or push them in the hunts .......that would be just as i could ask anyone who has a gntch or that comp hunts ...why I should believe them cause they ask one month about a rule they don't know then they turn right back around and go hunt yet another hunt !!!! Or talk about how they are freeing on spider eyes squirrel nest etc...but yet still seem to always be in the winners circle.........sorry I reached out for a bit of help !!!! And thanks for running me in the dirt Bruce by copying my add and making a big deal bout it !!! Highly respected you till I read your post !!! Have a good day gentlemen ...hope you all walk a lil taller today

Old Post 04-29-2017 05:31 PM
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

It just surprised me that someone getting $450 a month train dogs would need advice on how to start two.

Like a NASCAR driver going to a drivers school to help get his drivers license.

Old Post 04-29-2017 05:39 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Big spike hamme
UKC Forum Member

I understand ....but you can't call me out on not be able to train a you d unless you k ow or understand the whole situation ...your taking what post I posted and making a complete story I've only had these two hounds for going on 3 weeks now and never have messed with a bloodhound cross at all....i started hunting when I was 9 but I'm yet to have ever seen a hound that wouldn't bark at a caged coon !!!! Usually its instinct ....and also never have I ever seen a hound that hasn't even gotten out of a pen until over a yr old....gueas as far as this goes yes I'm over my head and I admit it ....ive started plenty of hounds and have finished hounds as well .....just feel like you falsely accuses me of not knowing what I was doing or not being worthy of $450 a month to handle someone hound....but by all means don't take my word for it ...i have more land and more time.than 85% of the people on this board as well as won't have my integrity quistioned....so if you want someone who will push your hound start your pup or run your dog !!! Il do just as i said I will do and the proof will be when you see it !!! When the owners sees how much time I've spent in the timber with his hound as well as the progress the hound has made !!! But I'm sure this post has ruined the chances I have at marlin that possible due to the lack of anyone on here carering about who or what there opinions are !!!!

Old Post 04-29-2017 05:49 PM
Ron Jackson
UKC Forum Member

Big Spike

I apologize because l was in question of the two posts when l read them also. Those that have been here for a while have seen a lot of new registers lately that are of bogus origin. All things have a way to right themselves. Welcome back to hunting with the hounds. It is good practice to include your real name with you handle. Thank you for your service to our country. Sincerely Ron Jackson

Old Post 04-29-2017 07:19 PM
Ron Jackson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Jackson Click here to Send Ron Jackson a Private Message Click Here to Email Ron Jackson Find more posts by Ron Jackson Add Ron Jackson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Big spike hamme
UKC Forum Member

My name is mark Dodson I have nothing to hide and I appreciate the apology it does mean a lot to me the advice in which has been given just hit a snag and was reaching out for guidance!!!

Old Post 04-29-2017 07:24 PM
Big spike hamme
UKC Forum Member

I believe my Springer could run a coon better than these hounds lol.....i refer to the breed cause of the bloodhound in them I've never worked with bloodhound I have been told they are not nearly as gritty or aggressive as a standard coknhound.... so I believe that has a lot to do with the origin of the problem as well as all other things going against them ...and as far as solving a problem pulling up short or anything of this nature I can work with those problems as I've had to do in the past however the only thing I was inquiring about is the fact they had no interest in a coon and I've never had that issue from a hound in the past most often it comes naturally ....im not mad at Bruce...im upset at the fact of how it was handle to make me look like a fool who had no business handling a hound for the public ....i understand how it looked from the outside but there is always more to the story than the question at hand on the board ....

Old Post 04-29-2017 07:38 PM
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

And this is why I dont like selling pups.

Old Post 04-29-2017 08:33 PM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Big spike hamme
UKC Forum Member

Why is that Josh???

Old Post 04-29-2017 08:36 PM
Big spike hamme
UKC Forum Member

Took a coon hide I trapped last year let the male play with it and chew on it ....as I was dragging it away from him he was barking at it ...i ties it up in a tree bout 15 yards from him and turned him loose he smelled and stood up on the tree...didnt bark on tree but showed interest ...so I took it and ran it around where he couldn't see me ...turned him loose he tracked it once he came across the track and stood on the tree smelling for it but once again came off and went back to playing lol...guess it's a bit of progress

Old Post 04-29-2017 08:42 PM
CHEWBACH
UKC Forum Member

yep

Good job Spike!! yadkintar and mike carder need to send you some business your way!!sounds like you know whats going on with these hounds!! keep up good work!! YADKINTAR where fort are there!! YADKINTAR!!

Old Post 04-29-2017 08:56 PM
CHEWBACH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CHEWBACH Click here to Send CHEWBACH a Private Message Find more posts by CHEWBACH Add CHEWBACH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Big spike hamme
UKC Forum Member

Lmao...yep I'm accepting anyone's hounds now that I got it all figured out !!!

Old Post 04-29-2017 08:58 PM
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Big spike hamme
Why is that Josh???

Because you make a cross you know should work, go through all the trouble of raising them, than sell them to whoever has a few hundred bucks, and they stick them in a kennel and dont let them out for a year.

There are way more coon dogs than coon hunters

Old Post 04-29-2017 09:07 PM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Re: yep

quote:
Originally posted by CHEWBACH
Good job Spike!! yadkintar and mike carder need to send you some business your way!!sounds like you know whats going on with these hounds!! keep up good work!! YADKINTAR where fort are there!! YADKINTAR!!

Got to sleep somtimes !

Old Post 04-29-2017 09:38 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Big spike hamme
UKC Forum Member

That is true Josh ....but as I stated before this was not my actions ....i got them 3 weeks ago !!!! But showed some improvement today so better than nothing

Old Post 04-29-2017 09:39 PM
Bill(Chew)
UKC Forum Member

Bloodhounds are normally very non aggressive dogs. They love to trail but have little to no treeing instinct.

Old Post 04-29-2017 10:12 PM
Bill(Chew) is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bill(Chew) Click here to Send Bill(Chew) a Private Message Click Here to Email Bill(Chew) Find more posts by Bill(Chew) Add Bill(Chew) to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote