UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Need Help on sudden blindness TW dog
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
JK_Kennels
UKC Forum Member

Need Help on sudden blindness TW dog

I am in search of advice, here's my problem. I have a 15 month old female Walker. On Monday April 17th I noticed the dog hadn't eaten that day but acted like her normal energetic self. Tuesday she still hadn't eaten anything but once again still acted like herself. On Wednesday, she was out of her box, in what I thought was sunning herself and that's why she didn't get up to greet me but she still hadn't eaten anything. Made rice and chicken still wouldn't eat. Thursday she wouldn't come out of her box and still had not eaten. Later that day we went to check on her and she opened her eyes and they were completely blued over and she clearly couldn't see anything. First thing Friday morning she was at the vet. They did blood work to rule out Hepatitis Blue Eye, after all this they chucked it up to being some kind of allergic reaction to what they believe to be cedar chips. They gave eye drops, steroids, pain pills, and an antibiotic. Was back to vet yesterday and was better but today the left eye is back to blue and the right eye looks good but still can't see anything. Any help or advice would be great. Because our vet is at a loss with what it could be. Thanks in advance JK Kennels

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-29-2017 03:21 AM
JK_Kennels is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JK_Kennels Click here to Send JK_Kennels a Private Message Click Here to Email JK_Kennels Find more posts by JK_Kennels Add JK_Kennels to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MIKE CARDER
UKC Forum Member

Vets

Is there a better vet around. Maybe someone else can run more test.

Phone number 270-820-5560

Old Post 04-29-2017 04:05 AM
MIKE CARDER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MIKE CARDER Click here to Send MIKE CARDER a Private Message Click Here to Email MIKE CARDER Find more posts by MIKE CARDER Add MIKE CARDER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JK_Kennels
UKC Forum Member

If she isn't better Monday she goes back in but to a different vet. I am just wondering if some of the veteran houndsmen have every seen or heard of this before.

Old Post 04-29-2017 04:11 AM
JK_Kennels is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JK_Kennels Click here to Send JK_Kennels a Private Message Click Here to Email JK_Kennels Find more posts by JK_Kennels Add JK_Kennels to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Things I would check ... look for allergen in the eyes, has she been exposed to any pesticides maybe where hunted? Has she had recent heartworm treatment or wormer that involves ivomec, it can cause temp blindness in to high of a dose . Blastomycosis can cause blindness so make sure she is tested for it, blasto is a very serious fungal infection that can involve the eyes and can cause sudden blindness it is a very serious disease, treatment is long and involves antifungal medication. There are a couple of good threads on here on it.
If she were mine tomorrow I would put the water hose on very low pressure and flush each eye out thoroughly them I would squirt a little penicillin in each eye and over the counter allergy eye drops won't hurt and could be a simple sollution if it is caused by a foreign object, pollen etc or an infection of the eye. If no better get to the vet Monday and have them run full blood work and also check for blasto. Good luck with everything.
Jen

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 04-29-2017 05:40 AM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

I also would stop the steroid until blasto is ruled out. I am sure your vet have it to help in case it was caused by an allergen. A steroid would be the proper protocol to stop the bodies natural immune system response to anything allergy related, the problem is that if it is not allergy related is does no good and your dogs natural immune system has just been blocked and the condition can worsen.
Jen

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 04-29-2017 05:45 AM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JK_Kennels
UKC Forum Member

Thanks Jen, yes we flushed the eyes at the vet. She is on antibiotics, eye drops, steroids, anti-inflammatory meds. She hasn't been hunted recently due to her being in heat. She has been laid up for about 5 weeks. However, about 3 weeks prior to this "allergy" we turned a coon loose, she treed it and shot it out to her. That coon tore her up, when we got her off the coon her face was all bloody from the coon biting her on the face. I have told the vet about this as well as the cedar chip being used now it's warmer out. They didn't seem to concerned about it being the coon that did this... we don't use ivermicen... and blasto she doesn't have any other symptom's other than not eating..

Old Post 04-29-2017 05:51 AM
JK_Kennels
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Redneck Mafia
I also would stop the steroid until blasto is ruled out. I am sure your vet have it to help in case it was caused by an allergen. A steroid would be the proper protocol to stop the bodies natural immune system response to anything allergy related, the problem is that if it is not allergy related is does no good and your dogs natural immune system has just been blocked and the condition can worsen.
Jen

Also have ruled out Hepatitis Blue Eye as well.. so just assumed they checked the blood for blasto as well.. the vet is really at a loss we have a second opinion Monday...

Old Post 04-29-2017 05:54 AM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by JK_Kennels
Also have ruled out Hepatitis Blue Eye as well.. so just assumed they checked the blood for blasto as well.. the vet is really at a loss we have a second opinion Monday...

I doubt they ran an antigen test for blasto and he most likely didn't run any kind of a tissue test. It is not very common so isn't the first thing most will look for.

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 04-29-2017 07:33 AM
JK_Kennels
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Redneck Mafia
I doubt they ran an antigen test for blasto and he most likely didn't run any kind of a tissue test. It is not very common so isn't the first thing most will look for.

I will be asking on Monday this isn't the first time I have heard this blasto as a possible cause. I took to social media which I knew would be a mess but I did anyway.. so I came on here to get more of a veteran houndsmen opinions. Just wanting to get back with a vet with some other info for other possible causes. Now if it's this blasto will the other dogs in my kennel be affected as well?

Old Post 04-29-2017 09:00 AM
pigsit
UKC Forum Member

Just curious, what do you use in place of ivomec?

Dual GRNTCH Wendy
GRNTCH Cola
GrNtCH Honky Tonk Rock and Roll
Dual GRCH Bumper
Dual CH June
Dual CH Jill

Old Post 04-29-2017 02:51 PM
pigsit is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pigsit Click here to Send pigsit a Private Message Click Here to Email pigsit Find more posts by pigsit Add pigsit to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JK_Kennels
UKC Forum Member

Trifexus.. all in one pill

Old Post 04-29-2017 02:55 PM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by JK_Kennels
Now if it's this blasto will the other dogs in my kennel be affected as well? [/B]
no it's not contagious

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 04-29-2017 04:46 PM