UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Beat way to getg a hound fired up on a coon??
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Big spike hamme
UKC Forum Member

Beat way to getg a hound fired up on a coon??

Have two 1yr old hounds that show lil interest in a caged coon ...bark maybe 1 time at it then shy away....turn it loose lol to no excitement ...

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-29-2017 12:27 AM
Big spike hamme is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Big spike hamme Click here to Send Big spike hamme a Private Message Find more posts by Big spike hamme Add Big spike hamme to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

You said on an earlier post that these two one year olds had "never been out of the pen", "never had a collar on", "never been on a lead", "never been to the woods". I cannot imagine why people do that to pups but I know it happens. It is generally accepted that pups learn more in their first year of life than all the rest of their lives.
These pups are probably functionally brain dead by now. Their fate was sealed when whoever owned them kept them completely shut off from the world outside the pen for the most important year of their life.
I'm not saying they have no chance but I can't imagine why anyone would choose to stack the odds so heavily against a puppy.
The only advice I have is to treat them as weanling pups and start from there. Good luck against the worse possible odds.

P.S......I'm guessing these pups were given to you. You will prolly learn more from this experience than those pups ever will.

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Old Post 04-29-2017 01:23 AM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Big spike hamme
UKC Forum Member

Yes they were free....but I was without a hound and the opportunity came up ....to be honest I'm very disappointed with what I've gotten myself into.....i drove to tenesee cause my son and my family love to coonhunt and " run " dogs ...its something that has bonded my step son and I to gather since day one and wanting to always keep that he came from a fatherless past and I will do anything possible to show him I care and want to spend time with him....they are " majestic" hounds supposed to be top notch lmao.....when I got to the guys house he had over 60 dogs in woven wire goat pens...and it was a drastic difference from the picture I had drawn in my head...but somehow I got two black n tan big eared Louth mouthed 1yr old hounds that have never seen anything besides a plastic tub in which all hounds was fed with food being thrown over the fence ...it was a muddy mess and had 1 5 gal bucket of water was all i seen for watering .....guess it was a poor decision on my side but here I am and hate to give up on something never have been one to just throw in the towel and quit ....im a medically retired military veteran and just trying to be the best dad I can be by enjoying the time spent running hounds with my family ....

Old Post 04-29-2017 02:02 AM
Big spike hamme is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Big spike hamme Click here to Send Big spike hamme a Private Message Find more posts by Big spike hamme Add Big spike hamme to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Big spike hamme
UKC Forum Member

Also to add to the mess.....the day I brought them home the female was in heat and of course just my luck he got tied up with her as they was running around and being " free for once !!!! So I'm sure come July I will have puppies on the ground....that will probably be more of a mess than these two have been !!! Just sick to my stomach over the whole mess and wish I had two hounds that had brains and coon minded ...i don't care to comp hunt unless I have a " winner" and all I'm interested in is to see a coon in the tree and a smile on my son's face !!! Wether it be pink with purple polka dots 3 legged hoot on track whistle on tree type of hound lol as long as he can run and tree !!!.....as I said got wrapped up in how "great" the majestic hounds was supposed to be and lost all common sense at the time of packing them home !!! Call me a sucker who got the milk !!!! Just trying .....and seem to fail every time I turn around !!!!!

Old Post 04-29-2017 02:08 AM
JiM
UKC Forum Member

Again, the only advice I can give is start from square one.

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Old Post 04-29-2017 04:01 AM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Big spike hamme
UKC Forum Member

Appreciate that .. think I should start on drags ?? Instead of cage coons ?? Don't think they will get fired up enough on a drag to tree it and I don't have access to another hound to yeah them to bark and tree .. so not sure what to do to get them excited guess time will tell

Old Post 04-29-2017 04:08 AM
Big spike hamme
UKC Forum Member

Talking bout starting from day one against all odds......where should I start ?? How do u think the process should go ?? What steps should i go through to get them going if they have any chamce at all whats it gonna take ??

Old Post 04-29-2017 04:26 AM
KAP71
Banned

Better start off with quality stock for starters. What happened to the hounds you was talking bout a month ago?

Old Post 04-29-2017 04:32 AM
KAP71 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for KAP71 Click here to Send KAP71 a Private Message Find more posts by KAP71 Add KAP71 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Big spike hamme
UKC Forum Member

Do u have any quality stock for free ?? " Kap71 " ....just curious .....and the two walked hounds I had a month ago ..one turned mean and the other I sold cause I was ignorant and made a poor decision should have kept him knowing what I know now!!!

Old Post 04-29-2017 04:37 AM
rghnd123
UKC Forum Member

Best thing

The best thing you can do is, buy a solid hound and go with someone that can teach you how to start hunting.

Old Post 04-29-2017 02:17 PM
rghnd123 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rghnd123 Click here to Send rghnd123 a Private Message Click Here to Email rghnd123 Visit rghnd123's homepage! Find more posts by rghnd123 Add rghnd123 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pigsit
UKC Forum Member

Thats good advice, find a coon hunter locally that is willing to let you and your son tag along, see if coon hunting is really your sport, it aint for everyone. You might find rabbit hunting with beagles or bird hunting more your forte. Any way experience it and get advice from local hunters, if you decide to stay buy an older coon hound from your area, one that can teach how to coon hunt.
good luck to your and your son.

Dual GRNTCH Wendy
GRNTCH Cola
GrNtCH Honky Tonk Rock and Roll
Dual GRCH Bumper
Dual CH June
Dual CH Jill

Old Post 04-29-2017 02:32 PM
pigsit is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pigsit Click here to Send pigsit a Private Message Click Here to Email pigsit Find more posts by pigsit Add pigsit to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KAP71
Banned

Yep,sure do to the right hunters.

Old Post 04-29-2017 03:15 PM
KAP71 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for KAP71 Click here to Send KAP71 a Private Message Find more posts by KAP71 Add KAP71 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Big spike hamme
UKC Forum Member

Took a coon hide I trapped last year let the male play with it and chew on it ....as I was dragging it away from him he was barking at it ...i ties it up in a tree bout 15 yards from him and turned him loose he smelled and stood up on the tree...didnt bark on tree but showed interest ...so I took it and ran it around where he couldn't see me ...turned him loose he tracked it once he came across the track and stood on the tree smelling for it but once again came off and went back to playing lol...guess it's a bit of progress

Old Post 04-29-2017 08:41 PM
muddymike55
UKC Forum Member

keep on keepin on

keep them in the woods as much as possible during the daylight in the evenings right as the sun goes down get their in the woods confidence built up then once you kick them at night they will not take all night figuring out what the woods are. if you gonna do drags I always make sure I lay the drag and hide the hide so dog can see it ever, then if he runs the track and trees it pet him up real good walk away and stop on a positive note. it is gonna take time for them to get fired up ive heard of others having same problem I cant speak from experience here as im not a trainer more a guy that bought a walker pup at 10 weeks old and he was coon crazy first one he ever saw and wasn't by choice there was a coon came up on the back porch the house and pup was standing by the open sliding glass door I didn't know what the hell to think of the bark that 16week old pup let out but he chased he chased caught the coon got his ass whipped coon took off and so did the pup needless to say ever since that coon whipped his ass hes been meaner than hell to any coon he comes across unfortuantly he caught 2 on the ground killed them both was standing over them as proud as ever when I got there he was completely silent just standing there. hes a year and a half old now and has he great nights and has nights he really struggles to try and put it together. all in all every dog is different and will take training a different way. your pups for sure are gonna be a love hate relationship but if you put in the time I believe youll get something back. one good thing is they aint been ruined by poor training skills just aint had a great start but they know to eat and drink just like a puppy and aint been taught bad habits yet lol. got a little long winded but thought id share my expeiriance with my pup. all in all I started by making sure he was confident in the woods never expected him to do anything other than run around and familiarize himself with woods and creeks and fences. went a hell of a lot better in the woods at night when the time came. what part of Illinois are ya from?

Old Post 05-08-2017 07:33 PM
muddymike55 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for muddymike55 Click here to Send muddymike55 a Private Message Click Here to Email muddymike55 Find more posts by muddymike55 Add muddymike55 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote