UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Ovaban? Or something similar
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Steve Raleigh
UKC Forum Member

Ovaban? Or something similar

I am looking does anyone know where a guy could get ovaban or is there something new on the market very similar...i need to take a dog out of heat asap....im in cental il

PKC GCH CHKC CH Wipeout 3 Bee
(Z3 x Bell)

PKC CH CHKC CH Rush Run Lil
(Nuck x Lilly)

PKC SCH CHKC CH Wipeout Shorty

Past Home of:

2012 FALL SENIOR SS CH.
GRNITECH PKC PLATINUM CH
MISTER OVERDRIVE
(Drive X Missy)

GRNITECH PKC GOLD CH Kate
(Jack X Jill)

2013 IL PKC State Race Ch.
GRNITECH PKC GOLD CH Little Miss Dottie
(Mr.Jack X Bit)

GRNITECH Curlee Jane
2018 UKC Bluetick World Ch
2018 Fall Round Up Ch
2018 Winter Classic Ch
2017 Battle of The Breeds Ch

NITECH 2018 PKC YOUTH WORLD CH PKC SILVER CH Dirty South Side

GRNITECH PKC SILVER CH SKUNA RIVER QUICK
(Fred X Sue)

GRNITECH Stylish Chase
(Clyde X Patty)

GRNITECH PKC SILVER CH Foggy Mtn. Gomer

UKC GrSqCh NKC GrSqCh Dirt Dodge's Jager

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-26-2011 05:14 PM
Steve Raleigh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Steve Raleigh Click here to Send Steve Raleigh a Private Message Click Here to Email Steve Raleigh Find more posts by Steve Raleigh Add Steve Raleigh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chadf
UKC Forum Member

Your better off leaving it alone. Way to many dogs get screwed up when people start messing with hormones. I would definately seek veterinary advice on this one instead of us good ole boys for drugs like this.

Old Post 12-26-2011 07:27 PM
chadf is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chadf Click here to Send chadf a Private Message Click Here to Email chadf Find more posts by chadf Add chadf to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Oak Ridge
UKC Forum Member

Ovaban is a relativley safe product. It's true intended use is a daily birth control for dogs, and it has some pretty nasty side effects if used that way. Taken daily it prevents them from ever coming into heat.

However, get with your vet and talk to them about a three day course to take your female out of heat.

I've used it before, and it works well and does what it was supposed to. Just make sure you let her cycle normally the next heat cycle. I used it once to take a female out, hunted her in a big hunt, then bred her three months later, she had 9 pups....

Old Post 12-26-2011 08:02 PM
Oak Ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Oak Ridge Click here to Send Oak Ridge a Private Message Click Here to Email Oak Ridge Find more posts by Oak Ridge Add Oak Ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Robert Karch
UKC Forum Member

dont

steve dont do it i ruined one bob dont mess with mother nature

Old Post 12-26-2011 08:09 PM
Robert Karch is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Robert Karch Click here to Send Robert Karch a Private Message Find more posts by Robert Karch Add Robert Karch to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bobby Reynolds
UKC Forum Member

I knocked one out of heat with ovaban, next heat cycle I bred her and she had 18 pups in her. She died from birth complications.

Old Post 12-26-2011 08:28 PM
Bobby Reynolds is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bobby Reynolds Click here to Send Bobby Reynolds a Private Message Click Here to Email Bobby Reynolds Find more posts by Bobby Reynolds Add Bobby Reynolds to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Steve Raleigh
UKC Forum Member

I found some. Ovaban has been taken off the market but their is still some generic Ovaban out there, I made probably 50 calls today tryin to find this stuff...harder to find than GOLD!!

(Z3 x Bell)

(Nuck x Lilly)

Past Home of:

2012 FALL SENIOR SS CH.
GRNITECH PKC PLATINUM CH
MISTER OVERDRIVE
(Drive X Missy)

(Jack X Jill)

(Mr.Jack X Bit)

GRNITECH Curlee Jane
2018 Fall Round Up Ch
2018 Winter Classic Ch

(Fred X Sue)

GRNITECH Stylish Chase
(Clyde X Patty)

Old Post 12-27-2011 03:06 AM
Steve Raleigh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Steve Raleigh Click here to Send Steve Raleigh a Private Message Click Here to Email Steve Raleigh Find more posts by Steve Raleigh Add Steve Raleigh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Steve Raleigh
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Bobby Reynolds
I knocked one out of heat with ovaban, next heat cycle I bred her and she had 18 pups in her. She died from birth complications.

Bobby,
The vets I talked to said that you are not supposed to breed them their next heat cycle after using this...supposed to leave them alone and let them complete their cycle.

(Z3 x Bell)

(Nuck x Lilly)

Past Home of:

2012 FALL SENIOR SS CH.
GRNITECH PKC PLATINUM CH
MISTER OVERDRIVE
(Drive X Missy)

(Jack X Jill)

(Mr.Jack X Bit)

GRNITECH Curlee Jane
2018 Fall Round Up Ch
2018 Winter Classic Ch

(Fred X Sue)

GRNITECH Stylish Chase
(Clyde X Patty)

Old Post 12-27-2011 03:08 AM
coch20
UKC Forum Member

Steve you have to just call the right people. Steve I believe oveaban is still on the market, just theres a lot of veta that don't Carrie it. For those of you that think it's bad I guess we will take every girl that's on Brith control off it lol

Northern Backwoods Kennels

Old Post 12-27-2011 09:08 AM
coch20 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for coch20 Click here to Send coch20 a Private Message Click Here to Email coch20 Find more posts by coch20 Add coch20 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rrs
UKC Forum Member

ovaban is no longer manufactured, but its generic counterpart is still available.....

Old Post 12-27-2011 11:55 AM
rrs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rrs Click here to Send rrs a Private Message Click Here to Email rrs Find more posts by rrs Add rrs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dogwhisper
UKC Forum Member

Megestrol acetate.
Read and understand it's side effects.
Prescription drug used go do exactly what u want .Ask ur vet. Most r reluctant to prescribe it.

Old Post 12-27-2011 02:53 PM
Dogwhisper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dogwhisper Click here to Send Dogwhisper a Private Message Find more posts by Dogwhisper Add Dogwhisper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JMollett
UKC Forum Member

Ovaban is still available. You just have to have a Vet that will work with you. We can no longer get it off the pet pharmacutical's. It has to come from the human market. Which is the same drug.
We don't reccomend any type of drug to postpone the estrus cycle in dogs, because of severe side effects.
Does anyone remember the drug that is similar to Ovaban. It was called Cheque- It was the daily treatment drug. Wow- what problems we encountered with this drug. You have problems with future fertility. Meaning she isn't either fertile or over fertile, causing no pups or too many pups for her body to hold.
Vaginal infections, increased body odor, abnormal behavior, urinary incontinence, riding behavior, oily skin and liver damage may also occur.
Way to many problems for me to put a dog through.
Now Ovaban isn't as risky, but it isn't free and clear. The most common side effects of Ovaban include-
weight gain, changes in hair color, uterine infections, enlargement of the mammary glands (sometimes with milk production) and mammary cancer.
We had several dogs develope Pyometra's from this drug and almost kill them. With extreme care we put the dog's on fluids, flushed the uterus 3x's a day, strong Antibiotics, steroids, etc. an saved them. But you are looking at hundreds of dollars.
If you are going to hunt a female hound, why not have her spayed. She will live longer, No side effects except weight gain if they aren't spayed before 6 months old or first heat cycle and no chance of mammary cancer.
Hope I was of help,
Best of luck and Happy hunting.
Jeremy mollett future DVM

Mr. Jake.
Tree Stomping Beauty

Old Post 12-27-2011 03:01 PM
JMollett is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JMollett Click here to Send JMollett a Private Message Click Here to Email JMollett Find more posts by JMollett Add JMollett to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Steve Raleigh
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by JMollett
Ovaban is still available. You just have to have a Vet that will work with you. We can no longer get it off the pet pharmacutical's. It has to come from the human market. Which is the same drug.
We don't reccomend any type of drug to postpone the estrus cycle in dogs, because of severe side effects.
Does anyone remember the drug that is similar to Ovaban. It was called Cheque- It was the daily treatment drug. Wow- what problems we encountered with this drug. You have problems with future fertility. Meaning she isn't either fertile or over fertile, causing no pups or too many pups for her body to hold.
Vaginal infections, increased body odor, abnormal behavior, urinary incontinence, riding behavior, oily skin and liver damage may also occur.
Way to many problems for me to put a dog through.
Now Ovaban isn't as risky, but it isn't free and clear. The most common side effects of Ovaban include-
weight gain, changes in hair color, uterine infections, enlargement of the mammary glands (sometimes with milk production) and mammary cancer.
We had several dogs develope Pyometra's from this drug and almost kill them. With extreme care we put the dog's on fluids, flushed the uterus 3x's a day, strong Antibiotics, steroids, etc. an saved them. But you are looking at hundreds of dollars.
If you are going to hunt a female hound, why not have her spayed. She will live longer, No side effects except weight gain if they aren't spayed before 6 months old or first heat cycle and no chance of mammary cancer.
Hope I was of help,
Best of luck and Happy hunting.
Jeremy mollett future DVM

No Jeremy this didn't help....If I wanted to know the side effects all I had to do was google it and research it (which I already did)

I wanted to know from other people that have used this or something very similar where I could get some!!

(Z3 x Bell)

(Nuck x Lilly)

Past Home of:

2012 FALL SENIOR SS CH.
GRNITECH PKC PLATINUM CH
MISTER OVERDRIVE
(Drive X Missy)

(Jack X Jill)

(Mr.Jack X Bit)

GRNITECH Curlee Jane
2018 Fall Round Up Ch
2018 Winter Classic Ch

(Fred X Sue)

GRNITECH Stylish Chase
(Clyde X Patty)

Old Post 12-27-2011 03:50 PM
JMollett
UKC Forum Member

Well, sorry!
I was more or less trying to convince you it isn't good to mess with Mother Nature. Your gonna mess her up! But none of my business.
If you can come here to Ohio and become a Client at our clinic we can get you Ovaban.
If your local Vet won't get it for you, just have him/her do a Physical Exam to make sure the female is suitable for Ovaban and order it online. You got to have a Prescription though.
We also can get Megestrol.
It is a generic name for Ovaban.
It is called Megestrol Acetate tablet's. 20 mg
Does the same as Ovaban, but a little cheaper. I think it is .50 cents a pill.
I know you can order that off 1-800 petmeds because that is where our clinic gets it.
Megestrol is used to postpone estrus cycle and end false pregnancies.
Very strong chemical drug, so just be cautious.
You don't want to cause pyometra's or cause a cystic uterus.
Best of luck.
Jeremy Mollett Futur DVM

Mr. Jake.
Tree Stomping Beauty

Old Post 12-27-2011 04:22 PM
JMollett is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JMollett Click here to Send JMollett a Private Message Click Here to Email JMollett Find more posts by JMollett Add JMollett to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bobby Reynolds
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Steve Raleigh
Bobby,
The vets I talked to said that you are not supposed to breed them their next heat cycle after using this...supposed to leave them alone and let them complete their cycle.

Steve, this was one of the stupid things I did when I was younger without doing the research that I should of. Still yet, I personally wouldn't use it again. That was a $3000 mistake back in the 80's. One my dumba$$ couldn't afford to make.

Old Post 12-27-2011 07:38 PM
Bobby Reynolds is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bobby Reynolds Click here to Send Bobby Reynolds a Private Message Click Here to Email Bobby Reynolds Find more posts by Bobby Reynolds Add Bobby Reynolds to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Steve Raleigh
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by JMollett
Well, sorry!
I was more or less trying to convince you it isn't good to mess with Mother Nature. Your gonna mess her up! But none of my business.
If you can come here to Ohio and become a Client at our clinic we can get you Ovaban.
If your local Vet won't get it for you, just have him/her do a Physical Exam to make sure the female is suitable for Ovaban and order it online. You got to have a Prescription though.
We also can get Megestrol.
It is a generic name for Ovaban.
It is called Megestrol Acetate tablet's. 20 mg
Does the same as Ovaban, but a little cheaper. I think it is .50 cents a pill.
I know you can order that off 1-800 petmeds because that is where our clinic gets it.
Megestrol is used to postpone estrus cycle and end false pregnancies.
Very strong chemical drug, so just be cautious.
You don't want to cause pyometra's or cause a cystic uterus.
Best of luck.
Jeremy Mollett Futur DVM

Thanks Jeremy that was a helpful post.

(Z3 x Bell)

(Nuck x Lilly)

Past Home of:

2012 FALL SENIOR SS CH.
GRNITECH PKC PLATINUM CH
MISTER OVERDRIVE
(Drive X Missy)

(Jack X Jill)

(Mr.Jack X Bit)

GRNITECH Curlee Jane
2018 Fall Round Up Ch
2018 Winter Classic Ch

(Fred X Sue)

GRNITECH Stylish Chase
(Clyde X Patty)

Old Post 12-28-2011 12:28 AM
coch20
UKC Forum Member

Be sure to let you guys know of it was a mistake or not

Northern Backwoods Kennels

Old Post 12-28-2011 05:20 AM
coch20 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for coch20 Click here to Send coch20 a Private Message Click Here to Email coch20 Find more posts by coch20 Add coch20 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote