UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Fast Track
Pages (3): « 1 2 [3]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

If you got a dog that can catch healthy coon in today's drilled, 100 bushels to the acre beans in late July thru mid September you got a monster dog

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-14-2019 05:26 PM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Sometimes The dogs had a big boar running my way and Yeller would come out in the open and he would be running with his head up and looking for the hog...

Many times I saw a big boar running ahead busting through the woods and the dogs were running off the wind current about 15 or so off the track running with their heads up...

Before websites I used to think about that dog and his abilities and I felt I had to write about him...like I owed him that...and one day I wrote a story about him and sent it in to Full Cry...I felt like his story needed to be told...

I had a catch dog always wanted to fight Yeller and one day he manages to get loose and goes at Yeller...Yeller meets him and quickly grabs an ear and threw his body against that bulldog and spun with him until that bulldog stopped with his head hanging gasping for air...if he would of got the best of Yeller I would have shut it down quickly...but I wanted to see how Ole Yeller would handle this situation and as usual he impressed as always... I leashed up the pit bull and Yeller let’s go...one of yellers offspring males would have been all out war and blood would be spilled...Yeller was smarter than that...

I had 5 and 6 generations off of him and quite a few good ones...about as good as they get IMO but never felt like I needed to talk about anyone of them in particular...

One day I went hunting with a friend and he had a new young east Texas cur dog named killer...after a hunt he said he was going to sell killer to me and he tied killer back next to Yeller about 8 ft from each other...I was getting ready to load up and my buddy says hold up ... I want to make them friends with each other...he sits back on the tailgate and is just smiling and after a about 5 minutes or so he said ok...I took killer home with me...he was a brown brindle colored dog...I asked him how he got this dog and Mike replies too gritty...he is a bay buster...well I like gritty dogs so I took him home...I’ll be back and finish up the story on ole killer and Yeller...

Last edited by Reuben on 03-17-2019 at 02:02 AM

Old Post 03-16-2019 09:32 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Reuben
Sometimes The dogs had a big boar running my way and Yeller come out in the open and he would be running with his head looking for the hog...

Many times I saw a big boar running ahead busting through the woods and the dogs were running off the wind current about 15 or so off the track running with their heads up...

Before websites I used to think about that dog and his abilities and I felt I had to write about him...like I owed him that...and one day I wrote a story about him...

I had a catch dog always wanted to fight Yeller and one day he manages to get loose and goes at Yeller...Yeller meets him and quickly grabs an ear and threw his body against that bulldog and spun with him until that bulldog stopped with his head hanging gasping for air...if he would of got the best of Yeller I would have shut it down quickly...but I wanted to see how Ole Yeller would handle this situation and as usual he impressed as always... I leashed up the pit bull and Yeller let’s go...one of yellers offspring males would have been all out war and blood would be spilled...Yeller was smarter than that...

I had 5 and 6 generations off of him and quite a few good ones...about as good as they get IMO but never felt like I needed to talk about anyone of them in particular...

One day I went hunting with a friend and he hand a new young east Texas cur dog named killer...after a hunt he said he was going to sell killer to me and he tied killer back next to Yeller about 8 ft from each other...I was getting ready to load up and my buddy says hold up ... I want to make them friends with each other...he sits back on the tailgate and is just smiling and after a few minutes he said ok...I took killer home with me...he was a brown brindle colored dog...I asked him how he got this dog and he was told too gritty...he is a bay buster...well I like gritty dogs so I took him home...I’ll be back and finish up the story on ole killer and Yeller...

Interesting post, enjoyed reading it

Old Post 03-16-2019 10:36 PM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

I just don’t know how my friend got Killer and Yeller to be friends but they made a really good team together...I think back about that time when Mike was sitting on that tailgate said he wanted to make the dogs friends with each other...because these two dogs hunted together after that like they were best friends...

I have this uncle thats around 96 years old now...when I was a little kid he came over pretty regular to hunt with us because we lived way out in the country back in those days...after he was retired I called and asked him if he could come over and stay with me a couple days and wire my new garage and he agreed... I asked him if he wanted to go hog hunting one evening and he jumped at the idea so off we go...I thought with his bad knees he would not be at the bay or catch but he would have a great time riding with me and Mike at a minimum...
Turned out to be a great hunt on account the dogs bayed up right by the dirt road... I said...uncle Pete you need to get out and stick that pig as I pulled up closer to the dogs... the pig breaks loose and I be danged if they didn’t catch him in the middle of the road right in front of us and my Uncle Pete stuck his first pig...I’m sure that made his ice cold beer taste that much better...

Getting back to Yeller and Killer...Mike says lets go to another place that sometimes has hogs on it... so we load up and head out...we let Yeller and Killer out and road them...it wasn’t long they veered off into a meadow and I just turned the truck in behind the dogs...they were just loping side by side like they really enjoyed each other’s company and for whatever reason they weren’t in no hurry...they didn’t make any losses but they knew they were going to surprise that pig it seemed...they finally headed back in the woods and at a quarter mile or so them two had a big ole sow trying her best to hide in a bush because these two dogs together knew how to shut one down...my uncle Pete didn’t make it to that bay but I was glad I could give back a little to my Uncle for all he done for me back the...he was a big time hunter back in the day...

Something I learned over the years...sometimes someone has a great dog and they don’t know it...someone else might think they have great dogs...

Last edited by Reuben on 03-17-2019 at 02:11 AM

Old Post 03-17-2019 01:41 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

Sometimes it only takes 1 thing for a dog to go from a 0 to a hero at a young age. And I wish I knew what what that thing is. And on the other hand it only takes 1 thing to happen to go from a hero to a 0.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 03-17-2019 06:42 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kler Kry
UKC Forum Member

Highly Intelligent Dogs

The higher the intelligence the less the handler can screw up without! Highly Intelligent Dogs need positive reinforcement not negative treatment.

Old Post 03-18-2019 03:28 AM
Kler Kry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kler Kry Click here to Send Kler Kry a Private Message Click Here to Email Kler Kry Find more posts by Kler Kry Add Kler Kry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sonny Phipps
UKC Forum Member

Re: Highly Intelligent Dogs

quote:
Originally posted by Kler Kry
The higher the intelligence the less the handler can screw up without! Highly Intelligent Dogs need positive reinforcement not negative treatment.

If you think about that, a lot of truth to it. A lot of smart dogs get ruined from “ correcting “ as many do . A smart dog learns to do more good things from a pat on head rather then not to do something from a ecollar or hickory .

Old Post 03-18-2019 02:36 PM
Sonny Phipps is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sonny Phipps Click here to Send Sonny Phipps a Private Message Click Here to Email Sonny Phipps Find more posts by Sonny Phipps Add Sonny Phipps to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Highly Intelligent Dogs

quote:
Originally posted by Sonny Phipps
If you think about that, a lot of truth to it. A lot of smart dogs get ruined from “ correcting “ as many do . A smart dog learns to do more good things from a pat on head rather then not to do something from a ecollar or hickory .

I agree with both of you...the idea is to learn how to correct the dog “without” the dog learning to fear us in the process...

If we look at the mama dog she at times corrects her puppies rather harshly and the pups learn respect and they start learning their boundaries...one quick nip from her and it’s over and forgotten by her...I try to use the same system as she does as much as possible and it works for me...

Last edited by Reuben on 03-21-2019 at 12:39 AM

Old Post 03-18-2019 05:27 PM
bones
UKC Forum Member

you talk about correction and intelligence but like you said timing ic a key factor. We don't have the open space you guys have and it is rare to have a dog catch a coon on the ground unless its in a corn field, 10 acres is a big one here and we only have two within 30 miles.lol Terraine has a lot to do with the way any dog hunts and has to be taken in to mind how they are going to handle it.

Old Post 03-20-2019 01:35 PM
bones is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bones Click here to Send bones a Private Message Click Here to Email bones Find more posts by bones Add bones to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Highly Intelligent Dogs

quote:
I agree with both of you...the idea is to learn how to correct the dog “without” the dog learning to fear us in the process...

If we look at the mama dog she at times corrects her puppies rather harshly and the pups learn respect and they start learning their boundaries...one quick nip from her and it’s over and forgotten by her...I try to use the same system as she does as much as possible and it works for me...

I didn’t check my original post and I went back and corrected...I said...correct the dog with the dog learning to fear us in the process...when I meant “without”...

So I might as well explain a little more...the female starts correcting the pups and they learn their boundaries and learn respect as well without fearing their mom...so I get my dogs and pups to learn that correction is only that and no more...I want them to see it and understand it that way...no grudges or anger if at all possible...this way my dogs will trust me...

Old Post 03-21-2019 01:12 AM
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Highly Intelligent Dogs

quote:

I didn’t check my original post and I went back and corrected...I said...correct the dog with the dog learning to fear us in the process...when I meant “without”...

So I might as well explain a little more...the female starts correcting the pups and they learn their boundaries and learn respect as well without fearing their mom...so I get my dogs and pups to learn that correction is only that and no more...I want them to see it and understand it that way...no grudges or anger if at all possible...this way my dogs will trust me...

Old Post 03-21-2019 01:12 AM