UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Breeds > Redbones > Yellow Colored Redbones
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Ridgerunner1988
UKC Forum Member

Yellow Colored Redbones

Can anyone tell me why some females throw yellow colored pups? Thought redbones were suppose to be dark red dogs or just a little lighter color of red but always red? Seen litters with yellow pups in them it kinda throws me off, I'd never buy a yellow redbone pup I want my dogs to be dark or bright red because that's what I feel a redbone should look like. JMO

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-08-2020 01:13 PM
Ridgerunner1988 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ridgerunner1988 Click here to Send Ridgerunner1988 a Private Message Find more posts by Ridgerunner1988 Add Ridgerunner1988 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
George pouliott
UKC Forum Member

Yellow

You've got a lot to learn ! One of them yellow dog's is one of the best in the breed . The one I had was the best I ever owned . A lot of redbone guy's won't hunt one unless it's got black all in it especially through it's tail . I saw some pics and vids of a silverish one that was trained by one of the best look real good . Some of em like the high black n tan redbones what the call a throwback . I wouldn't get hung up on color and be more worried about the dogs ability to work and the boot time it takes to give him the opportunity to become what he is capable to do .

My suggestion go to the very beginning of this forum and read everything until you get back to this post . Knowledge is everything .

Old Post 06-08-2020 03:06 PM
George pouliott is offline Click Here to See the Profile for George pouliott Click here to Send George pouliott a Private Message Click Here to Email George pouliott Find more posts by George pouliott Add George pouliott to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ridgerunner1988
UKC Forum Member

Re: Yellow

quote:
Originally posted by George pouliott
You've got a lot to learn ! One of them yellow dog's is one of the best in the breed . The one I had was the best I ever owned . A lot of redbone guy's won't hunt one unless it's got black all in it especially through it's tail . I saw some pics and vids of a silverish one that was trained by one of the best look real good . Some of em like the high black n tan redbones what the call a throwback . I wouldn't get hung up on color and be more worried about the dogs ability to work and the boot time it takes to give him the opportunity to become what he is capable to do .

My suggestion go to the very beginning of this forum and read everything until you get back to this post . Knowledge is everything .

Yes I've got alot to learn that's why I'm always asking questions when I cant figure something out. I'm new to the redbone breed and trying to learn all I can about them. I know in the book it says that they used to be saddleback and all but it was bred out, but that doesnt mean they cant still throw pups like that it's all according to how old your bloodline is if I'm not mistaken. As to the color I like, dark or bright red is what I prefer and they may make a good dog but they're just not for me. Everyone has there preference when it comes to a dog and I'm sure you do to. Yellow colored redbones just aren't for me, I hunted with one that was kind of gold looking that my buddy Stephen Brown owned that was a great dog, he bred him and all the pups came out solid dark red and the female he was bred to was yellow. Just dont understand how that happens is all.

Old Post 06-08-2020 03:20 PM
Ridgerunner1988 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ridgerunner1988 Click here to Send Ridgerunner1988 a Private Message Find more posts by Ridgerunner1988 Add Ridgerunner1988 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BLAKE WHEELER
UKC Forum Member

If someone has a good yellow one and don't like the color I'll be more than happy to take it.

Old Post 06-08-2020 06:12 PM
BLAKE WHEELER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BLAKE WHEELER Click here to Send BLAKE WHEELER a Private Message Click Here to Email BLAKE WHEELER Find more posts by BLAKE WHEELER Add BLAKE WHEELER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Elijah Goheen
UKC Forum Member

Yellow

The allele (gene code) for yellow coloring could be a recessive trait in the breed. Meaning it could be carried and passed on through a bloodline generation after generation and it would remain recessive and not show until crossed w/ another dog carrying that recessive trait. Since both dogs carry the recessive trait, there is a chance that one of the offspring will show the recessive trait while the others do not or they all do, or all don’t.

For example let’s say the gene code for color in Redbones is “R”. “R” represent the dominant gene of red color. “r” represents the recessive gene for yellow color.

An “RR” or Rr” dog will be red in color. Even tho it carries a “r” it will be red since “R” is dominant. But this will allow for the gene for yellow color to be continued to be passed down through the bloodline.

An “rr” dog will be yellow since it has both recessive gene codes for yellow color.

Hope this was able to help explain the possible difference in color on red vs yellow

Old Post 06-09-2020 01:24 AM
Elijah Goheen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Elijah Goheen Click here to Send Elijah Goheen a Private Message Find more posts by Elijah Goheen Add Elijah Goheen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

You are right, Redbones should be Red not yellow. But some people will tolerate a yellow one if it is a good hound. Everyone wants a pretty cherry red dog but actions speak louder than looks to some.
The yellow can come from a yellow colored dog in their pedigree or a combination or mixture of colors. I don't think that anyone really knows.
I hunted a real nice dog named Mellow Yellow for a man once. She won a bunch but I don't think that she was a pure Redbone even though she had PR papers. There was no Xbred back then.

Last edited by Richard Lambert on 06-09-2020 at 03:05 PM

Old Post 06-09-2020 03:00 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

Hey Richard

I noticed some white tipped toes on some pups. Not saying whose or where but do you think there may be a little walker in the woodpile?

Old Post 06-09-2020 03:19 PM
yadkinriver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ridgerunner1988
UKC Forum Member

Re: Hey Richard

quote:
Originally posted by yadkinriver
I noticed some white tipped toes on some pups. Not saying whose or where but do you think there may be a little walker in the woodpile?
That comes from being crossed with english fox hounds way back when they were first trying to figure out what they wanted the breed to be. White is acceptable in the breed on the chest and feet. That being said there very well could be walkers in some of them but I dont think that's the only place the white on some comes from.

Last edited by Ridgerunner1988 on 06-09-2020 at 05:34 PM

Old Post 06-09-2020 05:31 PM
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

Ridgerunner I appreciate you clarifying that for me. Seems Richard didn't want to answer. Maybe Tar was right about Richard just having questions and no answers. Lets hear it Richard. Don't disappoint me.

Old Post 06-09-2020 06:14 PM
yadkinriver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by yadkinriver
Ridgerunner I appreciate you clarifying that for me. Seems Richard didn't want to answer. Maybe Tar was right about Richard just having questions and no answers. Lets hear it Richard. Don't disappoint me.

They said if you give them red dogs them thar thyroid pills it makes them have hair color issues.

Tar

Old Post 06-10-2020 12:20 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

I have been on the road and I can't type and drive. Yadkin River knows where those white feet come from. He probably had a hand in a couple of them. They come from the same place those pretty red heads on those walkers come from.

Old Post 06-10-2020 01:21 AM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

Ya know i'm messing with ya Richard. Hope they turn out as good as they look.

Old Post 06-10-2020 02:15 AM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

I know, that is what makes it interesting. Tarbaby is the only one that gets all offensive and can't take a joke.

Old Post 06-10-2020 05:53 AM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Isn't it strange that one group is trying to breed more white into Redbones while another whole group is trying to breed it out. I guess that it just shows how there are differences in people and their dogs. I guess that is what makes the world go round and why we have competitions and arguments. Of course everyone thinks that their way is the best way.

Old Post 06-10-2020 06:00 AM
Ridgerunner1988
UKC Forum Member

JMO

My opinion is we need to keep the blood as pure as possible or there isnt goin to be any pure red dogs anymore, keep'em red like they are ment to be. If any yellow ones are born in my litters I will not register them. I'm all for the more traditionally looking red dog and that's the way I'm going to try and keep it . Dont understand why anyone would wanna change it, the red dog can still win the way they are the first ever world champion was a red dog so we know they can do it just have to find the right one.

Old Post 06-10-2020 06:09 AM
Wade Kuhns
UKC Forum Member

What was the name of that world champion redbone and what color was it ?

Old Post 06-10-2020 05:11 PM
Wade Kuhns is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Wade Kuhns Click here to Send Wade Kuhns a Private Message Click Here to Email Wade Kuhns Find more posts by Wade Kuhns Add Wade Kuhns to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BLAKE WHEELER
UKC Forum Member

This is just my opinion so it don't matter much but hasn't breeding for color(basically show dogs) screwed this breed up enough? I like a real dark dog as good as anyone but I'd dang sure rather have a yellow colored redbone with a little chrome on it that was a nice hunting dog than a world class dark red show dog that wouldn't leave your feet.

Old Post 06-10-2020 05:16 PM
BLAKE WHEELER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BLAKE WHEELER Click here to Send BLAKE WHEELER a Private Message Click Here to Email BLAKE WHEELER Find more posts by BLAKE WHEELER Add BLAKE WHEELER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Blacklabel
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by BLAKE WHEELER
This is just my opinion so it don't matter much but hasn't breeding for color(basically show dogs) screwed this breed up enough? I like a real dark dog as good as anyone but I'd dang sure rather have a yellow colored redbone with a little chrome on it that was a nice hunting dog than a world class dark red show dog that wouldn't leave your feet.

Amen

I have a light golden colored one and I sure like him

The will to win is not nearly as important as the will to prepare to win. Everyone wants to win but not everyone wants to prepare to win." - Bobby Knight

Old Post 06-10-2020 05:40 PM
Blacklabel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Blacklabel Click here to Send Blacklabel a Private Message Click Here to Email Blacklabel Find more posts by Blacklabel Add Blacklabel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
barnyard01
UKC Forum Member

Talking Golden!

Justin!
You better take those hippie glasses off! Otis isn't dark by any means,
but he isn't yellow either! Look at the vid that you sent me this morning Hippie!!!LOL!!!!

Old Post 06-10-2020 06:00 PM
barnyard01 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for barnyard01 Click here to Send barnyard01 a Private Message Find more posts by barnyard01 Add barnyard01 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ridgerunner1988
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Wade Kuhns
What was the name of that world champion redbone and what color was it ?
The name of the world champion redbone for the ACHA World Championship in 1948 was Dan owned by Leroy Campbell, 1953 Swamp Rose Female redbone owned by V.X McWilliams, 1957 Reb owned by Frank Rollens, and in 2001 Dan owned by Joshua Guffey. Not trying to argue with any of you all I've got my preference just like anyone else and if people cant respect that I'm sorry for them. I will hunt what I want to hunt just like everyone else will hunt what they want to. Now thanks to everyone and God Bless.

Old Post 06-10-2020 07:02 PM
RedScorpion
UKC Forum Member

Yellow?

The redbone color at the time the redbones you speak of won the ACHA world hunt (late 40's and 50's) were tan.

That dark red color you see in today's redbones is the result of a few breeders trying to MAKE a dark red redbone. It almost ruined the breed...and it will continue on that track if performance isn't the main criteria used in breeding.

Yellow or tan is what they are supposed to look like. Not knocking dark red, but I won't sacrifice performance for it, and breeding for it certainly isn't keeping the breed pure.

Old Post 06-10-2020 09:10 PM
RedScorpion is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RedScorpion Click here to Send RedScorpion a Private Message Find more posts by RedScorpion Add RedScorpion to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ridgerunner1988
UKC Forum Member

Breed Standard

The breed standards for the redbone coonhound is a rich deep red color, that has been around since 1902 when the first redbones were registered with the ukc nobody can argue with that fact it's written in ink for the breed standards. All I'm sayin is there will not be a yellow redbone eating at my house that's my choice. Thanks and God Bless.

Last edited by Ridgerunner1988 on 06-10-2020 at 10:21 PM

Old Post 06-10-2020 09:23 PM
George pouliott
UKC Forum Member

Ridgerunner you had me at LITTERS and pure bred solid red redbones . Believe what ya want too but I guarantee they's an off colored dog in the wood pile . Everybody ain't honest and not very many working for the same thing . And YOU can't do it by yourself . Your already thinking about litters and ain't got a solid purebred redbone that can do it alone or with company and have the meat . There's enough of $%^÷ eating puppies off dog's that can't tree a biscuit . You'll see ! Look at the reproducing list I posted . They say we getting better ! I ain't so sure cause I'm hearing different . Walker's bred right are superior and them boy's work together .

Now there's a few men that's doing it right and may very well be the only salvation in the breed . But they ain't breeding for color they breeding for coondogs because in the end they wanna be looking up the tree at the meat instead of looking at a breed standard with hip displacement issue's or thyroid issue's cause it's perdy .

Old Post 06-10-2020 10:19 PM
George pouliott is offline Click Here to See the Profile for George pouliott Click here to Send George pouliott a Private Message Click Here to Email George pouliott Find more posts by George pouliott Add George pouliott to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Blacklabel
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by George pouliott
. But they ain't breeding for color they breeding for coondogs because in the end they wanna be looking up the tree at the meat instead of looking at a breed standard with hip displacement issue's or thyroid issue's cause it's perdy .

😍😍😍😍

The will to win is not nearly as important as the will to prepare to win. Everyone wants to win but not everyone wants to prepare to win." - Bobby Knight

Old Post 06-10-2020 10:48 PM
Blacklabel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Blacklabel Click here to Send Blacklabel a Private Message Click Here to Email Blacklabel Find more posts by Blacklabel Add Blacklabel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

I wonder if any of those winners in Oklahoma last night were yellow?

Old Post 06-12-2020 03:33 PM