UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Proposal 7
Pages (5): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

It is hard to minus a dog that doesn't have any strike points to minus. The silent part doesn't bother me as much as assigning minus points to a dog. That is going to run off more handlers than it will attract.
Hunts will quickly become a matter of turning 4 dogs loose and walking to 4 trees. Now that is great if you live in an area that has 4 coons in every tract or patch of timber. But if you live where there are only 1 or 2 coons then 2 or 3 dogs are going to have to leave the country to try to find their own.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 09-06-2019 03:04 AM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Team Mafia 2
UKC Forum Member

The same exact style of dogs that are winning the big hunts now are still going to be winning under these rules. It’s hard to beat a hustling loner type dog that has a coon when he parks. Babbling Me to dogs are a MINORITY IN THE WINNERS CIRCLE.

Dalton Cummings
918-533-6545

Old Post 09-06-2019 03:20 AM
Team Mafia 2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Team Mafia 2 Click here to Send Team Mafia 2 a Private Message Click Here to Email Team Mafia 2 Find more posts by Team Mafia 2 Add Team Mafia 2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
It is hard to minus a dog that doesn't have any strike points to minus. The silent part doesn't bother me as much as assigning minus points to a dog. That is going to run off more handlers than it will attract.
Hunts will quickly become a matter of turning 4 dogs loose and walking to 4 trees. Now that is great if you live in an area that has 4 coons in every tract or patch of timber. But if you live where there are only 1 or 2 coons then 2 or 3 dogs are going to have to leave the country to try to find their own.

Dogs don’t know the rules people do very few times are you going to pull off a tree and not have a dog still running so you have to cut anyways. If your dog when you pull off a tree runs strait past coons to a dog treeing and the tree is closed your dog is not properly trained and you need minused. I have got 300 minus in 15 minutes before ! 25 minus ain’t nothing. I got 650 minus in a $$$ hunt one night and won my cast.

You need a drink brouther ?

Tarbaby

Old Post 09-06-2019 03:25 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mike McCool
UKC Forum Member

the problem thats going to happen is when all dogs are split up walk 1000 yds to dog a treed other dogs were still trailing in other direction dog a has coon walks 50 yds cuts his dog you think hes going to let you walk back where you can here your dog.

Old Post 09-06-2019 03:47 AM
Mike McCool is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mike McCool Click here to Send Mike McCool a Private Message Click Here to Email Mike McCool Find more posts by Mike McCool Add Mike McCool to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

You'll have to walk back the direction you last heard your dog. He can't recut until you hear the open dog or the 8 is over. Unless I'm not understanding the ruling at all. Basically the same as CHKC rules on that. Which if it was up to me at local hunts, I'd fire mine in your direction not away from it. But I can see what you're saying.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 09-06-2019 01:23 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Oh my goodness, didn't Dalton just voluntarily keep Shack on the leash for the last 15 minutes at AO Finals?
?

Old Post 09-06-2019 02:01 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Robert Johnson
UKC Forum Member

quote:
If a tree is "dead" after 3 minutes, you can't tree a dog on it. The new rule says that dogs at a tree when the cast arrives will be assigned next available position and minused. Now after 3 minutes the next available position is zero since the tree is dead and you can't tree in on it. What are they going to do?

Now having a tree countdown, I can understand. And saying that a tree is dead after 3 minutes, I can understand also. But this assigning tree points and minusing them makes no sense to me whatsoever.

This one rule is the absolute death of the sport in these eyes. It makes no sense at all, and there are going to be many "discussions " in the woods over this. TOTAL B S. Yep, everyone will have that deep, and deeper lonely nut, but around here there will not be a place to hunt them. Pleasure hunting is looking better all the time.

Johnson Creek Kennels
home of:
UKC Grand Nite Champion "PR" Yadkin River Addkis. Deceased 12/11/2016 RIP

2009/2010/2011/2012 AKC GA. State Leader and Supreme Grand Nite Champion Yadkin River Addkis

2010 ACHA Georgia State Champion Grand Nite Champion Yadkin River Addkis

PKC Champion Yadkin River Addkis

Bright Eye Lights

Treeing Walkers

912-663-5287 cell (perfered)

Old Post 09-06-2019 02:17 PM
Robert Johnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Robert Johnson Click here to Send Robert Johnson a Private Message Click Here to Email Robert Johnson Find more posts by Robert Johnson Add Robert Johnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Robert Johnson
This one rule is the absolute death of the sport in these eyes. It makes no sense at all, and there are going to be many "discussions " in the woods over this. TOTAL B S. Yep, everyone will have that deep, and deeper lonely nut, but around here there will not be a place to hunt them. Pleasure hunting is looking better all the time.

Rock your wrong It keeps the cast competing closer instead of blowing past coons y’all need to hunt under it before you draw judgement. I have hunted under it a bunch ! think about this you think this ole fat , crippled , washed up kid would be for somthing that hurts you ? I would be crying fowl on every post lol.

Ain’t many going to take minus that’s dogs are treeing coons. All the old guys are coming back they are gonna be some coon clinics put on. But if you want to be Debbie downer go ahead.

Mr positive !!

Tarbaby

Old Post 09-06-2019 02:28 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
.... y’all need to hunt under it before you draw judgement. I have hunted under it a bunch !
Mr positive !!
Tarbaby

Mr Positive, what kennel club that you have hunted in a bunch has this rule?

Old Post 09-06-2019 02:33 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Rock your wrong It keeps the cast competing closer instead of blowing past coons y’all need to hunt under it before you draw judgement. I have hunted under it a bunch ! think about this you think this ole fat , crippled , washed up kid would be for somthing that hurts you ? I would be crying fowl on every post lol.

Ain’t many going to take minus that’s dogs are treeing coons. All the old guys are coming back they are gonna be some coon clinics put on. But if you want to be Debbie downer go ahead.

Mr positive !!

Tarbaby

I don't get why guys are so against these rules. If your dog is treed for 3 minutes it would be still been there for the 5 min. Its just now you can't cut your backing dog towards a treed dog and get 75 points for doing nothing but covering. I do like the new rules by reading them, I'm hoping I understand them correctly is all.

And

Gone but not forgotten

Old Post 09-06-2019 02:40 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sgraves
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Robert Johnson
Have hunted under this rule, like it a lot. Takes a trained dog that knows what you want an can stay out of trouble. This rule will take care of the back packers. If you have a dog that doesn’t blow through the country an can tree every coon it comes to ole deep an lonely will have his hands full. No leash lock on top of that to.It will be a must that a man spends as much time as can be spent pleasure hunting an working on his dog for these rules. Yes people will find ways to cheat. A real hunted up coon dog will prevail with these rules.

Old Post 09-06-2019 02:41 PM
Sgraves is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sgraves Click here to Send Sgraves a Private Message Click Here to Email Sgraves Find more posts by Sgraves Add Sgraves to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Sgraves
Have hunted under this rule, like it a lot. Takes a trained dog that knows what you want an can stay out of trouble. This rule will take care of the back packers. If you have a dog that doesn’t blow through the country an can tree every coon it comes to ole deep an lonely will have his hands full. No leash lock on top of that to.It will be a must that a man spends as much time as can be spent pleasure hunting an working on his dog for these rules. Yes people will find ways to cheat. A real hunted up coon dog will prevail with these rules.

Absolutely agree. Some of the guys that are having a hard time grasping the rules have never hunted CHKC.

For all the nay sayers.......Go check out when Dark Side of the Moon won the CHKC World hunt. She treed more coons close than the deep n lonely dogs. But she wouldn't have been able to if she was on the leash.

And

Gone but not forgotten

Old Post 09-06-2019 02:56 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Sgraves
..... and working on his dog for these rules.......

What exactly does this mean? I take it to mean that you think that we will now have to retrain or change our dogs just to fit this new rule change.
And isn't the CHKC defunct now? These rules must not have helped them. If we were going to copy another Kennel Club's rules, maybe we should have picked a successful one.

Old Post 09-06-2019 03:13 PM
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
What exactly does this mean? I take it to mean that you think that we will now have to retrain or change our dogs just to fit this new rule change.
And isn't the CHKC defunct now? These rules must not have helped them. If we were going to copy another Kennel Club's rules, maybe we should have picked a successful one.

The **** problem is a management problem not a rules problem. They did have the best rules in the business
Now we do ! I am 30 miles from headquarters hunted in a bunch of them really Richard quit loven ole red just because he is red and you are old. If you going to race get you a race car if not learn how to tidley trot at the bench shows.

Tarbaby

Old Post 09-06-2019 03:21 PM
Sgraves
UKC Forum Member

Another thing, people saying the silent, independent dog will take over . I can’t see that either. Two dogs or all four strick the same track an tree . No matter if they are open or silent they will be competing against one another. That’s what we want . Because it will be the handlers job to tree first an the tree points will work out .Yes there will be pitching going on .But this is what everyone is so butt hurt over. An this is my honest opinion. More than likely if your dog wasn’t involved with what I said above , an shows up at the tree after the 3 is up it left what it was doing an deserves a minus. An besides if my dog done that I wouldn’t like it . He’s wasting my time an I am drawing minus. Stiff competition is coming, an the rules are set for it.

Old Post 09-06-2019 03:21 PM
Sgraves is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sgraves Click here to Send Sgraves a Private Message Click Here to Email Sgraves Find more posts by Sgraves Add Sgraves to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nathan Phenix
UKC Forum Member

I think new rules works good for seasoned houndsman that can train dog not cover ( not as many naturally independent dogs as people say) But for young guy starting out he fixin take lots minus and get really discouraged. Also some older men still attending hunts will not like new rule. I understand 2 things that everyone needs to. 1 you cant please everyone. 2 complaining about something isnt goin change it so either play by new rules or stay at house. I personally dont see any problem with new rules. I hate one hour hunts but with new rules being faster pace it should let cream rise to top more on shorter hunts.

Guess we will all know more in another 5 or 6 months.

Bayou Creek Black and Tan’s

Nathan Phenix
417-255-5697

Old Post 09-06-2019 03:24 PM
Nathan Phenix is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nathan Phenix Click here to Send Nathan Phenix a Private Message Find more posts by Nathan Phenix Add Nathan Phenix to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ov_blues
UKC Forum Member

Under the current rules a dog fiddle farts around and backs a dog on a slick tree and most people don't have a problem with assigning next available on the tree and minusing the backing dog.

New rules a dog fiddle farts around and backs a dog on a tree with a coon and people are having a problem with assigning next available on the tree and minusing the backing dog.

I think it all comes down to whether a person feels like a dog should back another dog on a tree with a coon in it whether the backer treed a few seconds behind the other dog or treed a few minutes behind the other dog.

My initial feeling was that was wrong to minus the backer on a coon but then I thought about just pleasure hunting and I don't want my dog hitchhiking behind another dog that far behind another dog no matter what the circumstances. Pleasure hunting one night with a guy and his two dogs treed, mine was in and out on the tree and she didn't want to tree with them for whatever reason but wouldn't get out of there. I ended up busting her butt and sending her out of there. The guy I was hunting with got a little mad when I did and said "you don't think my dogs have a coon?". I told him "it doesn't matter, she needs to either get on the pot or get off of it." We didn't find a coon on his dogs tree but I found mine shortly after that under a coon. So my point is, if I am training for a coon dog I am training for a competition hunt too.

Old Post 09-06-2019 03:45 PM
ov_blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ov_blues Click here to Send ov_blues a Private Message Click Here to Email ov_blues Find more posts by ov_blues Add ov_blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sgraves
UKC Forum Member

I don’t mind if a dog backs as long as he helps run the track. A dog can travel a long ways in 3 min. No one wants to get beat by a dog that stole undeserving points. This is competition not pleasure hunting.Makes me mad pleasure hunting to.😆

Old Post 09-06-2019 04:00 PM
nextcoonhunters
UKC Forum Member

Rule 7

Proposal 7. Treeing but not Declared Treed When Judge Arrives. (Passed 5-2)
Any dog(s) treeing, but not declared treed, when the judge arrives shall be assigned next available tree points. The dog shall be awarded next available tree points and minused both strike and tree if; coon is seen, tree is slick, or off game is seen. In the case of more than one dog; split available points.
I don't know if they go in for 75,50,25 divide if more than one dog, or just 25. "In the case of more than one dog; split available points" makes it look like they would get 2nd tree right on down? And no I have no problem giving a dog that is out there doin nothing minus for finally coming in and backing. Don't know that I agree with giving a dog minus for treeing a coon than seeing what your dog has treed and treeing if it has a coon. As far as no leash lock does that mean when I get to the tree before we shine I recut my dog, than we score the tree. No sense in him watching me shine for 8 min. he knows he has him, time for him to go get another one.

Old Post 09-06-2019 06:51 PM
nextcoonhunters is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nextcoonhunters Click here to Send nextcoonhunters a Private Message Find more posts by nextcoonhunters Add nextcoonhunters to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tony Dominguez
UKC Forum Member

If a dog is running the same track & backs later then 3 min it deserves a minus, if it’s not running the same track & covers it deserves a minus for quitting its track. Either way this rule was changed for a dog that trees the most coons to win...

903-650-4495 call/txt anytime
Banshee Coon Squaller
Eukanuba Dog food

Redbone:
All Grand Outlaw G-Man
GRNITECH
GRAND SHOW CH
CHKC GRCH (all time $ leader)
PKC PLATINUM CH (all time $ leader)
2016 RESERVE FALL SUPER STAKE CH (only redbone to ever make the final 4)

Grnitech PKC CH Night Stalkin roxie
2018 top 16 PKC redbone breed
2018 Top 16 PA state race
2019 National Redbone days Champion

Walker:
UKC Dual Grand, PKC Silver Ch, CHKC Champion
Frost Bite Zoey

UKC Dual Grand, PKC Silver Ch, CHKC Champion
Dirty Little Tramp
Russ Myer hunt winner $20,000
Final 4 PKC super stakes

Past:
GOLD CH GRCH GRNITECH Classy Cali
GRCH GRNITECH 'PR' Outlaw Jack
CH GRNITECH 'PR' Apache Man
CH GRNITECH 'PR' Famous Outlaw Ann
CH GRNITECH 'PR' Tree Burning Moses

Old Post 09-06-2019 10:47 PM
Tony Dominguez is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tony Dominguez Click here to Send Tony Dominguez a Private Message Click Here to Email Tony Dominguez Find more posts by Tony Dominguez Add Tony Dominguez to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ov_blues
UKC Forum Member

The problem is that if a dog is the first dog treed and scored that when they are recast they might get with another dog that treed after they did and the three minutes is up on the second dogs tree. This is going to get the first dog to tree a coon some minus points and the second dog treed is still going to have more points overall even though it took him/her longer to get trees with a coon than the first dog. This is going to mean to avoid those minus points people are going to have to train or breed even more for dogs that are independent. A dog would always get their strike minused before but now they will also get some tree points minused. That is the biggest difference.

Old Post 09-06-2019 11:15 PM
ov_blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ov_blues Click here to Send ov_blues a Private Message Click Here to Email ov_blues Find more posts by ov_blues Add ov_blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
G.W. Harring
UKC Forum Member

quote:

I'm going to go out on a limb here......but as I read the new rules, I'd assume anyone used to hunting a backpacker might not like them and might want to do some training.
If someone wascounting on getting first "bark" points and then slide'n in 3+ minutes late on a tree after the coondog treed the coon and they would pick up 175 plus points for it in the past...well, now they may want to do some train'n.
BUT, you can bet those that don't feed or hunt that style will be smile'n now when Ole First Bark Meeee Tooo rolls in after 3 mins.

402-209-5053

Old Post 09-06-2019 11:30 PM
G.W. Harring is offline Click Here to See the Profile for G.W. Harring Click here to Send G.W. Harring a Private Message Find more posts by G.W. Harring Add G.W. Harring to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mt tough
New UKC Forum Member

I don’t hunt pkc much because I hate a dead loaner there is no place for one at my house. I like a dog that will tree his coon get a piece of yours tree himself another one and then get some of somebody else’s. I absolutely refuse to break my dogs from covering, hounds are pack animals. It’s no fun to me to turn four dogs loose then walk to the four points of the compass to different trees. When I cut my dog off a tree and a dog opens I expect him to go help that dog,unless he strikes a track going to him. I won’t change what I’ve bred for 20 years to fit the rules. The way the rules are now I’ll get minused for cutting off my tree towards a treed dog that’s tree is dead. Do I think he should get a piece of that coon ,no. But should should he be minused for covering because that’s what he’s bred to do when he did nothing wrong by my standards I don’t think he should. With that pleasure hunting looks really good right now

Old Post 09-06-2019 11:34 PM
Mt tough is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mt tough Click here to Send Mt tough a Private Message Find more posts by Mt tough Add Mt tough to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by ov_blues
The problem is that if a dog is the first dog treed and scored that when they are recast they might get with another dog that treed after they did and the three minutes is up on the second dogs tree. This is going to get the first dog to tree a coon some minus points and the second dog treed is still going to have more points overall even though it took him/her longer to get trees with a coon than the first dog. This is going to mean to avoid those minus points people are going to have to train or breed even more for dogs that are independent. A dog would always get their strike minused before but now they will also get some tree points minused. That is the biggest difference.

Buuuuuut indapendant in a way to keep stuffing coons up ole snoop barkie barks backsides instead of going to him playing his game.

Tar

Old Post 09-06-2019 11:36 PM
ov_blues
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Buuuuuut indapendant in a way to keep stuffing coons up ole snoop barkie barks backsides instead of going to him playing his game.

Tar

I absolutely agree! A person who puts some time in with a real good & well trained coon dog has got even a better chance of winning now which may upset some folks that will like to blame the "screwed up" rules when they get beat.

Old Post 09-06-2019 11:48 PM