UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Demanding accuracy
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Re: .

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce m. Conkey
{b]Always seemed opposite to me. But I've never tried correcting one for slick treeing. And never will.

It is more, not encouraging them to tree wrong. To many are guilty of this. [/B]

Bruce, you hit the nail on the head right there, it's a matter of NOT encouraging bad behavior, slick treeing or any other undesirable behavior. DO NOT be so happy that the dog trees, be happy only if the dog trees right, etc. Dogs can be trained to repeat certain behaviors by our reactions right or wrong. We have to be careful in how we reward our dogs for doing certain things or it can become a habit good or bad. I only reward a dog with praise or positive action only when they are right in doing something, be it treeing or another task. Dave

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-14-2021 08:48 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Vic Stoll
UKC Forum Member

Define Accuracy

I think a huge part of it is how people define accuracy, which I have come to find varies from person to person.

Myself, it is either coon seen, or coon not seen. Dens count as coon not seen. Using this method, if you're leading one that can carry a 2 out of 3 average over the course of one year, you've got one that's well above average in my opinion. I can't say I know of too many people that keep track for a full year.

Gone but not forgotten:
Nt Ch Fanny's Midnite Blue Annie - aka Sodie Pop R.I.P. - I will miss you old girl

Nt Ch Becky’s Midnite Blue Hank - R.I.P. Old Boy, thank you for the memories

Gr Nt Ch S&E's Midnite Lite Blue Snow (Co-Owned with my good friend Harry Eidenier) - We had a blast following you ole girl!

Old Post 01-14-2021 09:47 PM
Vic Stoll is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Vic Stoll Click here to Send Vic Stoll a Private Message Find more posts by Vic Stoll Add Vic Stoll to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

Do other breeds other than Walkers struggle with this accuracy? I know Walkers sort of run with their heads up off the ground more so than blacks, or blues.... wondering if that is a factor?

Old Post 01-14-2021 09:48 PM
houndsound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for houndsound Click here to Send houndsound a Private Message Click Here to Email houndsound Find more posts by houndsound Add houndsound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc
I think it's 100% genetic. I'm hunting 2 females now. Full sisters, One is almost 5 , the other is 18 months. Both treed a coon first time in the woods and have been treeing them regularly ever since. In 4 years the older has treed on three trees I could have minused. Three persimmon
trees. I'm not bragging on these dogs. I had nothing to do with this. They were both given to me at 6 weeks old. The young one is just as accurate as the older one. They were born this way. They both have faults but slick treeing isn't one of them. And don't think they pass up coons when they're not sure.

But how many trees have these dogs made? And how many dens do they tree?

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 01-14-2021 10:10 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by novicane65
But how many trees have these dogs made? And how many dens do they tree?
They tree a good many coons. Two last night and two Tuesday night. I'm 77 years old and don't hunt as hard or as late as I did years ago, but I see a coon or two every time I go. They also both tree lay-ups. Never treed a cold lay-up and found a den. When I see a den it's at the end of a running track. I always say they both know when a coon is in a tree.

Old Post 01-14-2021 10:53 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

And both of these females have only had about 5 coons shot out in the last year.

Old Post 01-14-2021 10:57 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

I know a fellow that sees the coon in every tree within seconds of shine time, many have hunted with him and can't see the coon. Anyone that tells me a dog is 90% accurate I just let it go in 1 ear and out the other. 90% is 9 out of 10 seen no dens no other excuses. Nope it just ain't going to happen unless you only hunt for a lucky stretch.

Old Post 01-14-2021 11:46 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

I have a dog that struck 26 tracks in a row that ended with a coon seen in 26 trees. But the streak ended with three den trees in one night. Yes he's pretty accurate but he just had a lucky streak. Don't think I will ever see that again in my life. I was hunting him by himself so nothing was pushing him to get treed which I believe makes a lot of difference to some dogs.

Old Post 01-14-2021 11:55 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by pamjohnson
I know a fellow that sees the coon in every tree within seconds of shine time, many have hunted with him and can't see the coon. Anyone that tells me a dog is 90% accurate I just let it go in 1 ear and out the other. 90% is 9 out of 10 seen no dens no other excuses. Nope it just ain't going to happen unless you only hunt for a lucky stretch.
I don't know why people keep talking about percentages. We have leaves on about 1/3 of our tree year round. The percentage of coons you see and a dogs accuracy are two different things. If a dog slick trees, he will tell on himself every now and then by treeing on a sapling. Why are so many folks concerned with dens? Coons live in hollow trees. You can't count them as coons seen but you can't hold it against your dog. Monday night my dogs ran a coon 400 yards like they were looking at him. Den tree. Is that one they missed? If I owned Preacher Tom's dog I sure wouldn't be concerned about his accuracy over the 3 dens.

Old Post 01-15-2021 12:30 AM
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

Donald
Your answer is location. If you live where I do things would be different. For 6 months out of the year you can see the tree. No leaves. A den tree here and there is fine after a nice trail. Some dogs like squirrel and boy do they. So dens and leaves are excuses.

Old Post 01-15-2021 12:55 AM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc
I don't know why people keep talking about percentages. We have leaves on about 1/3 of our tree year round. The percentage of coons you see and a dogs accuracy are two different things. If a dog slick trees, he will tell on himself every now and then by treeing on a sapling. Why are so many folks concerned with dens? Coons live in hollow trees. You can't count them as coons seen but you can't hold it against your dog. Monday night my dogs ran a coon 400 yards like they were looking at him. Den tree. Is that one they missed? If I owned Preacher Tom's dog I sure wouldn't be concerned about his accuracy over the 3 dens.

Donald I assure you he has just plain missed since that time especially when he began to have a thyroid problem. He's pretty much back to a real nice coon dog but he doesn't walk on water. I like him as good as any I have ever had.

Old Post 01-15-2021 12:57 AM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

Mr.Tom how long did it take to get your dog back right?

Old Post 01-15-2021 01:01 AM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by 2ol2hunt
Mr.Tom how long did it take to get your dog back right?

It took a long time and his count would not stay consistent till someone, I think it was Larry Hall (shows my mind isn't much anymore) told me about Nascent Iodine. Started giving him about a third of a dropper of this every day and it was like night and day. He got back like he's supposed to be. I give him 1 MG of the Thyroid med each morning. I think the iodine is the key.

Old Post 01-15-2021 01:39 AM
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

Thank you sir

Old Post 01-15-2021 01:55 AM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rooster731
UKC Forum Member

I try to keep an accurate record of my hunt and what my dog does. I count trees made and coons seen. Dens count against him so i know his average is slightly better than the numbers show but he doesnt make alot of dens. I dont get to hunt as much as i would like with a young family to keep up with. Since season open in july 1st he has been in the woods 46 times, made 112 trees and seen 77 coon alone. Thru december 31st that averages just over 7 nights per month, 18 trees per month, 13 coon per month. That figures out to around 69% accurate from the hottest part of summer to feed tracks when acorns are falling and into early winter. He could be better no doubt but with my limited time to hunt he will have to do for now

Old Post 01-15-2021 02:41 AM
rooster731 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rooster731 Click here to Send rooster731 a Private Message Find more posts by rooster731 Add rooster731 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KEVIN MOSES
UKC Forum Member

Funny story about accuracy

Ole buddy I have known since a kid is a pleasure hunter. Any time you see him and ask him how he done hunting the night before, he always says he treed 3 coon. After done hunting one night, I went thru McDonald's to grab a bite to eat. My ole buddy pulled up next to me as he had been hunting also and had his little nephew with him. I ask him how he done and he said he treed 3. His nephew spoke up and said "yeah and we would have shot them out if we could have found them". Of course he was ready to go real quick after that

*NT.CH. MOSES' RUGGED RIDGE POACHER*

*GR.NT.CH. MOSES' PRETTYBOY POACHER*

*FCH CH GRNITECH SHATLEY LOBO*

http://www.poacherplotthounds.com/

Old Post 01-15-2021 02:43 AM
KEVIN MOSES is offline Click Here to See the Profile for KEVIN MOSES Click here to Send KEVIN MOSES a Private Message Click Here to Email KEVIN MOSES Visit KEVIN MOSES's homepage! Find more posts by KEVIN MOSES Add KEVIN MOSES to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Re: Funny story about accuracy

quote:
Originally posted by KEVIN MOSES
Ole buddy I have known since a kid is a pleasure hunter. Any time you see him and ask him how he done hunting the night before, he always says he treed 3 coon. After done hunting one night, I went thru McDonald's to grab a bite to eat. My ole buddy pulled up next to me as he had been hunting also and had his little nephew with him. I ask him how he done and he said he treed 3. His nephew spoke up and said "yeah and we would have shot them out if we could have found them". Of course he was ready to go real quick after that

Accuracy is only as accurate as the man reporting it is, I only count the coons I see, trees mean nothing if I do not see a coon. Any coonhunter is only fooling himself if he counts every tree a dog makes as a coon if he does not see a coon in that tree. Seems like HONEST coonhunters are as scarce as HONEST coon dogs. Dave

Last edited by Dave Richards on 01-15-2021 at 04:49 AM

Old Post 01-15-2021 03:55 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
high ridge
UKC Forum Member

I agree with Dave. If I don’t see a coon I don’t count a coon.
Coons live in dens. I have pushed several hollow trees over and looked in many holes where I climbed up to have my feelings hurt

Keep standing around them trees blowing squallers pulling vines petting on old Joe hoping a coon going to fall out of the sky and one has to continue to come up with , well he could be here or he could have crossed out

Go into that tree leash dog and shine. Don’t tell them how good they are and stand and brag to your buddy what tree dog it is. Do that after you find a coon. One can tell pretty quickly if it a good coon tree or not. You will miss seeing some in 3-4 minutes but most coons are found pretty quickly when they there.

An accurate dog will show you just how fast you can find coons in a tree

I can live with junk running I can deal with ugly I can deal with poor mouth I can deal with no handle

THEY MUST BE ACCURATE

Old Post 01-15-2021 05:42 AM
high ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for high ridge Click here to Send high ridge a Private Message Click Here to Email high ridge Find more posts by high ridge Add high ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rip
UKC Forum Member

I personally treat them like major league baseball.

Dens are a walk. They don't count for or against a dog.

Coons that are seen in trees I can shine.

Old Post 01-15-2021 06:38 AM
Rip is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rip Click here to Send Rip a Private Message Click Here to Email Rip Visit Rip's homepage! Find more posts by Rip Add Rip to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by high ridge

Keep standing around them trees blowing squallers pulling vines petting on old Joe hoping a coon going to fall out of the sky and one has to continue to come up with , well he could be here or he could have crossed out

High Ridge...I see exactly what you are saying...blowing squaller, pulling on vines and petting ole Joe Boy to tree and maybe no coon in the tree...well that is training and encouraging Joe Boy to tree more slick trees in the future...

and if there is a coon in a tree but cannot be seen because of excessive foliage, or den tree that the coon cannot be seen...you lease the dog up and walk away...the dog is receiving mixed signals because he knows there is a coon in the tree...but this cannot be helped bedcause we cannot verify so we do what is the least of two possibilities which is leash the dog and recast without saying a word...

if the coon scent had color and there was a coon in the tree we would see the scent rolling down to the ground...and it seems the dog could be treeing a little harder or differently because of the stronger coon scent...so if we could read the dogs signals a little better...we could possibly encourage the dog at the right times and discourage at the wrong times...not saying it's probable but what if...just like a liar can lie and we will not know it because we cannot read the person but hook him up to a lie detector and we can see the truth...

if a slick tree there would be coon scent but there would be less rolling down to the ground...and the dog might not be as excited when treeing...

If we know for sure it is a slick tree then that would be the time to discourage the dog...

just casting ideas...

Old Post 01-15-2021 01:36 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
high ridge
UKC Forum Member

Yes there are trees we may send mixed signals too
But, that dog catches on pretty quick. He knows you spending more time and petting him more around them coon trees.
I never stroke a dogs side at a tree or say a word till I find a coon. Then I praise a bit.
It don’t bother me to grab one up in the middle of the summer and get into their rear end on the biggest leafiest tree you can imagine. Yeah, have I knocked them off some coons before yes has it been a lot heck no.
A person let’s them get by with it all summer making excuses on leaves then when fall hits and the leaves drop we got look for more excuses

I realize I am different than most. My dogs get best of feed, medical, a very comfortable kennel, played with in the lot etc.
But, when I pop a snap that dog is my tool not my buddy until it reaches an old age.
Would you keep trying to work with a broken wrench or throw away and buy a new?
I look at it same way with a dog, if you can’t perform I don’t need a pet and if the tool can’t be mended I toss it like them.

Emotions versus reality is the seperation in life. Not only dogs but anything
I wanted to play basketball but I 5”5. Emotionally I thought I was as good as anyone realistically I wasn’t and that’s hard to accept sometimes.

Quit worrying you gonna make a dog nervous around a tree and he leave. If he leaves a slick you are making progress. But, keep it up. Most people half break dogs from slicks and possums and that’s why they leave as you get close. Carry the mission out

I not advocating abusing a dog. Do whatever you want to encourage good behavior and discourage bad

BUT HERE WERE THE WORK STARTS

It must be done over and over and over. It must be done so much that you question your sanity for being in the woods that much. It’s missed ballgames of the kids, it’s an upset wife because you missed another family function, it’s tired church services, it’s wore out boots, it’s tired mornings headed to work, it’s a dwindled bank account, a truck that’s falling apart, and miles and nights away from the ones you say you love.

The work part above is what separates the top ability hounds from just the dog that can tree a coon.

AND, in realistic thoughts none of the above mentioned things is worth it in the big picture of this world but the addiction is real for many and that addiction will cause that type of hound you dream about to become reality.

Old Post 01-15-2021 02:54 PM
high ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for high ridge Click here to Send high ridge a Private Message Click Here to Email high ridge Find more posts by high ridge Add high ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Coal295
UKC Forum Member

Pet em up

High Ridge is onto one of the biggest faults we probably make as coon hunters. I believe most of us with the leaves off can find a coon pretty quick. Im in rough mountain country full of laurel and vines a lot of the time and if that coon is there its usually seen in the first couple minutes with leaves off. Even in the summer with full leaves a red lens will usually produce eyes after looking a while. It is amazing how much easier they are to see when you are hunting an accurate dog. That young dog is getting less and less accurate the more vines we pull and ruckus and squalls we make. Most of them have too much tree bred in them anyway and that squirrel entices them even more when they see how big of a show we as their handler make out of it. Tie them back, look the tree they are on and not the 15 beside it and go on what you see. If its there give them a belly rub or meat in their mouth for encouragement. If its obviously not there in my opinion you better be giving them some form of correction depending on the dog from a switch to a vocal working over. Its my opinion you aren't gonna ruin a tree dog by demanding accuracy. For some reason I think a lot of people fear they are gonna ruin a dog by correction around a tree when in fact you just might be ruining them without it!

Old Post 01-15-2021 03:07 PM
Coal295 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Coal295 Click here to Send Coal295 a Private Message Click Here to Email Coal295 Find more posts by Coal295 Add Coal295 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
high ridge
UKC Forum Member

Re: Pet em up

quote:
Originally posted by Coal295
High Ridge is onto one of the biggest faults we probably make as coon hunters. I believe most of us with the leaves off can find a coon pretty quick. Im in rough mountain country full of laurel and vines a lot of the time and if that coon is there its usually seen in the first couple minutes with leaves off. Even in the summer with full leaves a red lens will usually produce eyes after looking a while. It is amazing how much easier they are to see when you are hunting an accurate dog. That young dog is getting less and less accurate the more vines we pull and ruckus and squalls we make. Most of them have too much tree bred in them anyway and that squirrel entices them even more when they see how big of a show we as their handler make out of it. Tie them back, look the tree they are on and not the 15 beside it and go on what you see. If its there give them a belly rub or meat in their mouth for encouragement. If its obviously not there in my opinion you better be giving them some form of correction depending on the dog from a switch to a vocal working over. Its my opinion you aren't gonna ruin a tree dog by demanding accuracy. For some reason I think a lot of people fear they are gonna ruin a dog by correction around a tree when in fact you just might be ruining them without it!

AGREED

Old Post 01-15-2021 03:18 PM
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

I certainly don't have the best dog or the most accurate dog but he knows what "I see it" means and gets even more excited and he knows what "go find that coon" means and will start looking. Yes a few times he has looked came back to the tree and I found the coon but not many.

Old Post 01-15-2021 03:55 PM
high ridge
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Preacher Tom
I certainly don't have the best dog or the most accurate dog but he knows what "I see it" means and gets even more excited and he knows what "go find that coon" means and will start looking. Yes a few times he has looked came back to the tree and I found the coon but not many.

And at the end of the day the only thing that matters is that the man feeding the dog likes him or her.

Old Post 01-15-2021 04:00 PM