UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > help with puppy
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
ksteppe10
New UKC Forum Member

help with puppy

Hey guys I just got my first coonhound puppy hes 2mo and I just wanted to know some of the things I should and shouldn't do while hes a puppyand when should I start training him?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-09-2015 03:12 AM
ksteppe10 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ksteppe10 Click here to Send ksteppe10 a Private Message Click Here to Email ksteppe10 Find more posts by ksteppe10 Add ksteppe10 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Terry Dye
UKC Forum Member

Why not start now? You can make life much easier on yourself and your dog if you teach him to lead, heel and come on command. Also a good time to start putting him in the dogbox and get him used to riding. You dont have to make long trips, just short rides every chance you get. Also one of the most important things he needs to learn, especially if you live in town with neighbors, is what NO means when he starts barking at booger bears in the middle of the night. Just be patient and have fun with him but be firm with his lessons. Good luck!

Old Post 01-09-2015 03:49 AM
Terry Dye is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Terry Dye Click here to Send Terry Dye a Private Message Click Here to Email Terry Dye Find more posts by Terry Dye Add Terry Dye to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CHEWBACH
UKC Forum Member

puppy

that's rite now is the time to start! make sure you get his shots and get ya some wormer for puppies. if you have the space start taking him or her on short walks in woods. you think what can a puppy learn. well ifs its your first you and the puppy can learn together. they learn a lot from 8 wks on. get thru brush over logs across small creeks. learn to follow and learn to come when you whistle. see things in woods look like booger man to them. they learn these things don't bother them. LOL good luck!

Old Post 01-09-2015 03:58 AM
CHEWBACH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CHEWBACH Click here to Send CHEWBACH a Private Message Find more posts by CHEWBACH Add CHEWBACH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ksteppe10
New UKC Forum Member

Alright thanks guys. That was exactly what I was looking for! I'll start doing that, thanks again!

Old Post 01-09-2015 01:02 PM
ksteppe10 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ksteppe10 Click here to Send ksteppe10 a Private Message Click Here to Email ksteppe10 Find more posts by ksteppe10 Add ksteppe10 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
WV Hound
UKC Forum Member

I agree with Terry. Leading and Loading in the box a big thing. Also work with commands like come here, no, or if your in town be quite also walks in the woods are helpful to get use to all the smells and sounds lol. good luck man enjoy your pup they are a blast when they are little.

Old Post 01-09-2015 02:30 PM
WV Hound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for WV Hound Click here to Send WV Hound a Private Message Click Here to Email WV Hound Find more posts by WV Hound Add WV Hound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kardinalkennels
UKC Forum Member

Terry Dye is spot on, and as are the other men exposure to everything, for me it is a must for a dog to cross water. Get him use to it, make him cross small creeks by 3 months old and deeper water as he gets older. It will be fun for the both of you in a about 4 more months or so. I can tolerate a fault or two in a good dog, but not a gut less dog that won't cross water or run to catch game.

Pups and started dogs available from time to time.

Old Post 01-09-2015 10:32 PM
kardinalkennels is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kardinalkennels Click here to Send kardinalkennels a Private Message Find more posts by kardinalkennels Add kardinalkennels to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bayemup34
UKC Forum Member

And make sure you teach him to read posted signs. He should learn to translate this as "run quietly from here on out"

If they don't bay, they don't stay

Catch em and stretch em, tree em and free em

'PR' McPherson's Big Mouth Brandy

Old Post 01-10-2015 04:20 AM
Bayemup34 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bayemup34 Click here to Send Bayemup34 a Private Message Find more posts by Bayemup34 Add Bayemup34 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
skeets
UKC Forum Member

i started coon hunting this cur dog i got at 2 months old.i would take him with my old walker every time i went and let him learn to love the woods and feel at home in them.when he started treeing with my walker i started hunting the cur by hisself and by 12 months old he was treeing coons. main thing i did with that cur is i bonded with him and he tries hes best to please me.when i want him to come in i just whistle and he comes back,and if i want to hunt up or down a creek i just shine my light where i want him to hunt and he will go in that direction.you have to go thru a lot of nights were u dont get much sleep and wear out several pair of boots to get a coon dog.

Old Post 01-10-2015 08:11 AM
skeets is offline Click Here to See the Profile for skeets Click here to Send skeets a Private Message Click Here to Email skeets Find more posts by skeets Add skeets to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ksteppe10
New UKC Forum Member

Okay guys so I got another question, at what age should I start teaching him how to trail and hunt and what is the best way to do this?

Old Post 01-20-2015 02:30 AM
Fisher13
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by ksteppe10
Okay guys so I got another question, at what age should I start teaching him how to trail and hunt and what is the best way to do this?

After your obedience lessons, keep them age appropriate and short, get coon hide and play with him with it. If he don't respond to it right away, find something that he does.
Maybe a hot dog or a treat. Once he understands this,introduce him to hiding the treat,or hotdog, then hide the treat with the coon hide. Once he starts finding both, remove the treat and give it to him after he finds the hide. Begin to make tracks through the yard and hiding the hide.
I also would be exposing him to the woods during the day time, just to have fun and explore.
Keep in mind when you introduce him to treeing, make sure he trees by scent not by sight. Also don't allow him to jump, encourage barking, but avoid any other extra excitement. If he shows to be more track oriented then you may decide to show some more praise. However with hounds today there is plenty of tree power and to much excitement leads to fighting and other bad habits. By this time he should know sit and down. Use these at the tree,but encourage speak and the barking.

Around this time I would begin to take him to the woods at night to practice the lessons. I then will talk him for walks near active coon feeders, exposing him to real tracks, and releasing real caged coon for him to track and tree.

Your obedience lessons establish a good ability to communicate. This communications allows you to develop your game of tracking and treeing. The game of tracking and treeing develops into real life hunting. Do baby steps and work with him every day. Revisit your obedience lessons regularly, also make plenty of time for playtime and just pure exercise, pups are like small children short attention spans, and lots of play.

Read all the dog training books you can, learn proper correction techniques. Avoid any trash breaking unless your positive he is trashing. Most new trainers worry about this to much. Find good hunting spots with thick coon, and he will rarely trash. Lastly find the best spots you can to hunt him in, can't train a coon dog with out coon. Your main overall goal is develop a strong prey drive for coon.
Teach him to love treeing coon, and he should get pretty good at it, over the next couple years. Stick with it be patient expect the world out of him, just not over night. He will struggle transition from the drag to real live coon, but just be patient and keep him in the woods.

Last edited by Fisher13 on 01-20-2015 at 05:41 AM

Old Post 01-20-2015 05:38 AM
Fisher13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Fisher13 Click here to Send Fisher13 a Private Message Find more posts by Fisher13 Add Fisher13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote