UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Brookeville Lake Indiana
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
jkidd1
UKC Forum Member

Brookeville Lake Indiana

Has anyone ever seen any snakes or had a dog bit around the lake? I got a male dog that looks to be snake bit on his front leg. We will see what vet says, just wondering if anyone else has.

JEREMY KIDD
765-520-1552

*females*
GRNITECH' JR'S JANEY
(Xjr X Insane Jane)

GRNITECH ST. JOHN'S STYLISH REX
(Ol south stylish Rebel X Janey)

GRNITECH' AFTER DARK'S JAN-IT
(Sweat It X Janey)

DUAL GRNITE' LONETREE LEGEND (R.I.P.)
(Noct. Style X Southern Sky)

GRNITECH' STYLISH LITTLE PEG(R.I.P.)
(Trackman X Browns Little Peg)

GRNITECH 'PR' JANEY'S GOTTA GUN
(Wild Card X Jr's Janey)

NITECH ‘PR’ REBELS STYLISH MOJA
(Ol Souths Stylish Rebel X Janey)

AFTER DARK’S PURDY PENNY
(Big $$ X Janit)

NITECH' SEVEN MILE SLOOPY(R.I.P.)
(Skipper x Big time Trixie)

Proud UNION JOURNEYMAN LINEMAN
https://i.postimg.cc/654pWfzm/IMG-1920.png
I.B.E.W. LOCAL 1393

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 09-22-2016 02:59 AM
jkidd1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jkidd1 Click here to Send jkidd1 a Private Message Click Here to Email jkidd1 Find more posts by jkidd1 Add jkidd1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cain99
UKC Forum Member

Jeremy..

Can't say I have ever been in that situation, especially on the lake. He may have been bit by a Water Moccasin, as I see plenty of them on the lake and the river this time of year. Never had a problem with them but Good Luck & hope you get it figured out ! ! !

#765-617-1725

Old Post 09-22-2016 02:50 PM
cain99 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cain99 Click here to Send cain99 a Private Message Click Here to Email cain99 Find more posts by cain99 Add cain99 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rowdy
UKC Forum Member

There are no poisonous snakes that are indigenous to the lake area. There are not water moccasins in the lake or river.
It is not impossible but highly unlikely. I have never heard of a poisonous snake encounter around the lake.

Old Post 09-23-2016 12:42 AM
Rowdy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rowdy Click here to Send Rowdy a Private Message Click Here to Email Rowdy Find more posts by Rowdy Add Rowdy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dixiedog
UKC Forum Member

I know a guy that his wife got bit by some sort of snake on Brookville Lake a few years ago that caused swelling and made her sick.

Old Post 09-23-2016 12:48 AM
dixiedog is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dixiedog Click here to Send dixiedog a Private Message Click Here to Email dixiedog Find more posts by dixiedog Add dixiedog to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Brookfield Lake/Snakes

Done a search on Google and saw where a woman was bitten by a rattlesnake and treated at Richmond hospital 2011 or 12. Indiana does have poisonous ( venomous snakes timber rattlesnake, massasauga rattlesnake and copperhead snakes. Dave

Old Post 09-23-2016 01:20 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dixiedog
UKC Forum Member

That was about the time that she had got bitten

Old Post 09-23-2016 01:25 AM
dixiedog is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dixiedog Click here to Send dixiedog a Private Message Click Here to Email dixiedog Find more posts by dixiedog Add dixiedog to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fox_91
UKC Forum Member

I bet it was a dang snipe. Been hunting them for years. Nearly as elusive as Bigfoot.

Old Post 09-23-2016 01:25 AM
fox_91 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fox_91 Click here to Send fox_91 a Private Message Click Here to Email fox_91 Find more posts by fox_91 Add fox_91 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mr taylor
UKC Forum Member

A Banded Water Snake can be found just about every where and anytime anyone see ones they say it is a Copper Head or Moccasin or Rattler, I have seen countless Banded Water Snakes killed and i could not make the people believe they was not one of the above snakes and Venomous, Just stating a fact i am not saying your dog never got bit or they are not Venomous snakes at that lake i have never been there .

Old Post 09-23-2016 02:48 AM
mr taylor is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mr taylor Click here to Send mr taylor a Private Message Find more posts by mr taylor Add mr taylor to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jkidd1
UKC Forum Member

Could've been one of those elusive snipe or a water snake, but here's what Rex looks like, I'll let y'all be the judge.

JEREMY KIDD
765-520-1552

*females*
GRNITECH' JR'S JANEY
(Xjr X Insane Jane)

(Sweat It X Janey)

(Wild Card X Jr's Janey)

AFTER DARK’S PURDY PENNY
(Big $$ X Janit)

I.B.E.W. LOCAL 1393

Old Post 09-23-2016 02:56 AM
jkidd1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jkidd1 Click here to Send jkidd1 a Private Message Click Here to Email jkidd1 Find more posts by jkidd1 Add jkidd1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
OLIE SMITH
UKC Forum Member

Probaly a swamp Rattler.

Old Post 09-23-2016 02:58 AM
OLIE SMITH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for OLIE SMITH Click here to Send OLIE SMITH a Private Message Click Here to Email OLIE SMITH Find more posts by OLIE SMITH Add OLIE SMITH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Well Started
UKC Forum Member

Jkidd, it's been years since I had a dog snake bit......only happened twice and both times I assumed it was a copperhead because of the area I was hunting.

I said that to say this.....it's all just on memory but I'm certain that the swelling involved a lot bigger area than what your dog shows. Was not just a localized area. Once in the head....whole side of the dogs head swelled, once on the leg....most of the leg swelled.

Maybe some guys in the south that deal with snake bites a lot more can verify that's a poisonous snake bite, but it doesn't look like the 2 times I experienced it.

Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured… but not everyone must prove they are a citizen. Now add this: Many of those who refuse, or are unable, to prove they are citizens will receive free insurance paid for by those who are forced to buy insurance because they are citizens.

Old Post 09-23-2016 03:05 AM
Well Started is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Well Started Click here to Send Well Started a Private Message Find more posts by Well Started Add Well Started to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jkidd1
UKC Forum Member

It's hard to tell in the first pics but his leg is swollen from the pad of his foot up to and past his shoulder, his brisket is even swollen on the front and on his underside and hanging. His leg feels like its going to bust.

JEREMY KIDD
765-520-1552

*females*
GRNITECH' JR'S JANEY
(Xjr X Insane Jane)

(Sweat It X Janey)

(Wild Card X Jr's Janey)

AFTER DARK’S PURDY PENNY
(Big $$ X Janit)

I.B.E.W. LOCAL 1393

Old Post 09-23-2016 03:28 AM
mucket
UKC Forum Member

looks like snake bite i would get him some benadryl till u get to vet

Old Post 09-23-2016 03:42 AM
mucket is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mucket Click here to Send mucket a Private Message Visit mucket's homepage! Find more posts by mucket Add mucket to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jkidd1
UKC Forum Member

Yea he went to vet this morning and is on two different antibiotics.

JEREMY KIDD
765-520-1552

*females*
GRNITECH' JR'S JANEY
(Xjr X Insane Jane)

(Sweat It X Janey)

(Wild Card X Jr's Janey)

AFTER DARK’S PURDY PENNY
(Big $$ X Janit)

I.B.E.W. LOCAL 1393

Old Post 09-23-2016 03:59 AM
moleman
UKC Forum Member

The Vet say it was a snake bite?

Old Post 09-23-2016 05:33 AM
moleman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for moleman Click here to Send moleman a Private Message Find more posts by moleman Add moleman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jkidd1
UKC Forum Member

He said that's what it looked like to him but he couldn't say it for 100% sure and didn't want to cause an uproar down at the lake on speculation.

JEREMY KIDD
765-520-1552

*females*
GRNITECH' JR'S JANEY
(Xjr X Insane Jane)

(Sweat It X Janey)

(Wild Card X Jr's Janey)

AFTER DARK’S PURDY PENNY
(Big $$ X Janit)

I.B.E.W. LOCAL 1393

Old Post 09-23-2016 12:31 PM
Rowdy
UKC Forum Member

I never said there were not poisonous snakes in Indiana. I said they were not common at the Brookville Lake area and highly unlikely. Any snake bite can cause problems because they are common carriers of salmonella.

Water moccasins would be a new scientific find. There have only been two confirmed sightings in the state within the last 150 years. If you want to be famous go catch one and contact a biologist. Lol.

But hey what do I know. I'm just a dumb game warden that had worked the Brookville lake area somewhat regularly for 25 years. If you guys see mountain lions and Bigfoot report that too. hahaha

Old Post 09-23-2016 12:44 PM
Rowdy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rowdy Click here to Send Rowdy a Private Message Click Here to Email Rowdy Find more posts by Rowdy Add Rowdy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tony.beals
UKC Forum Member

Rattle Snakes

Not sure about Brookville Lake, I do know that When I frequented Lake Monroe I ran over a 5 foot Rattle Snake on the East Side.

MSG, US ARMY RETIRED
President of Michigan State United Coon Hunters Association

Old Post 09-23-2016 01:32 PM
tony.beals is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tony.beals Click here to Send tony.beals a Private Message Click Here to Email tony.beals Find more posts by tony.beals Add tony.beals to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Well Started
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by jkidd1
It's hard to tell in the first pics but his leg is swollen from the pad of his foot up to and past his shoulder, his brisket is even swollen on the front and on his underside and hanging. His leg feels like its going to bust.

This last picture and your description of it, sounds and looks a lot closer to what I remember. By looking at that picture and your description, snake bite would be my first guess.

I've had a couple dogs swell pretty bad off what I believe was just some kind of poisonous spider or insect bite. But it was very localized. Severe enough to make the hair fall out at that spot for a while, but again a small area that swelled bad. About golf ball size. The 2 poisonous snake bites were without question much larger areas of bad swelling and the dog acted lethargic for several days. The one hound looked like you implanted a softball or half a football in the side of its head for 2 days.

Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured… but not everyone must prove they are a citizen. Now add this: Many of those who refuse, or are unable, to prove they are citizens will receive free insurance paid for by those who are forced to buy insurance because they are citizens.

Old Post 09-23-2016 03:51 PM
Well Started is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Well Started Click here to Send Well Started a Private Message Find more posts by Well Started Add Well Started to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Chris Powell

I do not believe that you are just a dumb game warden. I respect your years of service as a warden. I have hunted and lived in my area for over 50 years and no rattlesnakes ever seen in certain areas until recently! How does this happen? Many folks believe that rattlesnakes are being " stocked" to increase the survival of an endangered population. True or not- snakes are showing up where they have never been found. The public should be informed of any programs of this nature before anyone is seriously injured or their hounds/ pets killed . Dave

Old Post 09-23-2016 03:57 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rowdy
UKC Forum Member

Tony totally possible over near Monroe.
Dave no snakes turned loose...ever here in Indiana since I have been with the Department. Natural ranges expand and contract. Depends a lot on habitat and population. We had a confirmed copperhead in Clifty Falls State park last year. This was unusual. The park manager has been there over 30 years and had never seen one.

Old Post 09-24-2016 10:56 PM
tony.beals
UKC Forum Member

Monroe

I know they said there was copperheads on Camp Atterbury, but whole time I was working there (9years) never seen one. The only Rattle Snake I seen was the one I ran over. I showed some locals and of course they said kill them all. Didn't know until short time afterwards that they were protected in Indiana. Seen pics over at the Fishing Shack at Lake Monroe of some other ones tho. It was 2004 when I ran over the one. Fished and squirrel and turkey hunted there a lot but never seen another one. And glad of that seen enough snakes with teeth while stationed in Texas and short time I was in Africa.

MSG, US ARMY RETIRED
President of Michigan State United Coon Hunters Association

Old Post 09-24-2016 11:39 PM
tony.beals is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tony.beals Click here to Send tony.beals a Private Message Click Here to Email tony.beals Find more posts by tony.beals Add tony.beals to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Chris's Powell

Thans for your response. Yes, all snake bite are harmful to dogs and humans due to risk of infection. Swelling would indicate a venomous bite- likely a copperhead.IMO. Dave

Old Post 09-25-2016 12:11 AM
jkidd1
UKC Forum Member

Thanks to those that called n text to check on Rex, I know his owner Chad appreciates it and so do I. Rex is almost back to normal, he is on antibiotics taking 6 pills a day, the vet opened it up some and the first few days it drained like crazy. But he's got his appetite back and leg is looking good. Whatever bit him well never know for sure, but one thing for sure is the good ones always seem so fragile, while the pot lickers could roll in a snake pit or run down the interstate and come out without a scratch.

JEREMY KIDD
765-520-1552

*females*
GRNITECH' JR'S JANEY
(Xjr X Insane Jane)

(Sweat It X Janey)

(Wild Card X Jr's Janey)

AFTER DARK’S PURDY PENNY
(Big $$ X Janit)

I.B.E.W. LOCAL 1393

Old Post 09-28-2016 06:03 PM
coonhunter1287
UKC Forum Member

I had two dogs get bit at tree one night. A older male was bit in the neck while treeing and a pup was bit on the leg by the same Copperhead. The older dog never paid any attention and kept treeing. When the pup got bit I seen it striking at them. The pups leg swelled identical to your dog. Took about 3 days for it to go back to normal. The male looked as if he has a softball in his throat.

Old Post 09-28-2016 07:52 PM
coonhunter1287 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for coonhunter1287 Click here to Send coonhunter1287 a Private Message Click Here to Email coonhunter1287 Find more posts by coonhunter1287 Add coonhunter1287 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote