UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Hunting Known mean dogs in hunts
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
tony.beals
UKC Forum Member

Tom, happened to me a long time ago. Went to a hunt in Illinois and after draw out the judge on my cast says I'm riding with him, I get in truck and he says we have a mean dog in cast. My young dog I was hunting was very aggresive when I first started hunting him and My hunting buddy and I worked on him for 3 months to get him worked out. So I'm thinking how does he know what my dog is I'm from Michigan and the dog had never been in a hunt. Anyway first turn out dogs go in and tree on side of hill on a huge Oak tree. Long story short the accual dog in question came from top side of Oak and jumped on my dog. We seperated them back at truck judge goes what are we going to do guys, the handler of mean dog wanted to withdraw, I told him he could not do that and his dog should be scratched for fighting and that is exactly what judge did. Sometimes it just takes time to catch them. That was the dogs second time for fighting. On side note he tried scratching my dog for defending himself. It did not happen. We did keep my dog from starting or being aggresive at tree, he just would defend him self.

MSG, US ARMY RETIRED
President of Michigan State United Coon Hunters Association

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-22-2018 12:23 PM
tony.beals is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tony.beals Click here to Send tony.beals a Private Message Click Here to Email tony.beals Find more posts by tony.beals Add tony.beals to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fox_91
UKC Forum Member

Cover late, get ate

Old Post 01-22-2018 01:09 PM
fox_91 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fox_91 Click here to Send fox_91 a Private Message Click Here to Email fox_91 Find more posts by fox_91 Add fox_91 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dogwhisper
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by RJ Burks
Could you explain how to prepare your dog to handle getting eat up at the tree....

I said prepare to "handle" not prepare to get ate up.
Nice twist u put on it burks!

Old Post 01-22-2018 01:14 PM
Dogwhisper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dogwhisper Click here to Send Dogwhisper a Private Message Find more posts by Dogwhisper Add Dogwhisper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

Nobody owns a dog that starts fights. How many times have you heard," My dog don't start nuttin', but he don't take no s--t off no other dog.

Old Post 01-22-2018 05:01 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by indiana1
How many times has someone pulled you aside after drawing out and says watch so and so he is lil rough around the tree. Problem is everyone knows including owner and nothing is ever done when it happens. They will let em withdrawl because they know them etc. that’s part of the problem. Heck I was at a rqe couple years back guy asked to ride with me said sure I had my dog tied to tailgate, man brings his dog toward truck his dog looks a mine growls and lunges pulled my dog back just in time. Moh in parking lot witnessed it and said sometimes dogs do that. I responded card is handed out dog should be scratched , man looked at me like I was crazy.

Did you still let him ride with you? Why do people "pull you to the side"? Why don't they say very loudly in front of everyone that so and so is hunting a mean dog. At our hunts someone will remark loudly, "did you bring that mean sob" if someone with a rough dog shows up. The reputation of hunting a mean dog can stick with you long after the dog is gone. And this reputation is passed on to his/her offspring even when they aren't.

Old Post 01-22-2018 07:21 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc
Nobody owns a dog that starts fights. How many times have you heard," My dog don't start nuttin', but he don't take no s--t off no other dog.

Nobody owns a dog that leaves trees either. It's always a mean dogs fault

Old Post 01-22-2018 07:38 PM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tony.beals
UKC Forum Member

Richard I agree, as stated in my above post, they knew they had a problem dog/handler. I don't what to say it was a set up, but it kind of was and the judge was looking to get him/dog (legally within the rules). On a side note I have heard it stated loudly in front of the individual, not as many times as it should tho.

MSG, US ARMY RETIRED

Old Post 01-22-2018 07:39 PM
tony.beals is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tony.beals Click here to Send tony.beals a Private Message Click Here to Email tony.beals Find more posts by tony.beals Add tony.beals to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rob thompson
UKC Forum Member

Just get a cut collar and let them roll!

Old Post 01-22-2018 07:47 PM
rob thompson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rob thompson Click here to Send rob thompson a Private Message Click Here to Email rob thompson Find more posts by rob thompson Add rob thompson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HEADLINESKENNEL
UKC Forum Member

A mean dog should be shot not put in hunts or shows to bite people or other dogs. That is one thing i will not put up with. There was a guy that use to bring his male dog to all our hunts and every cast he was in there was dog fights. Of coarse it was never his dogs fault it was someone elses dog. It doesn't take a Einstine to figure out that if every cast you hunt a dog in there's dog fights that your dog is the problem.

Old Post 01-22-2018 08:00 PM
HEADLINESKENNEL is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HEADLINESKENNEL Click here to Send HEADLINESKENNEL a Private Message Click Here to Email HEADLINESKENNEL Find more posts by HEADLINESKENNEL Add HEADLINESKENNEL to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by rob thompson
Just get a cut collar and let them roll!
might as well .at a mile deep be all over 4 ya get to them any how .lol think ill put a vest and collar on mine and maybe everyone will with draw before we cast them .lol

Old Post 01-22-2018 11:28 PM
thomasg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thomasg Click here to Send thomasg a Private Message Click Here to Email thomasg Find more posts by thomasg Add thomasg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oklared
UKC Forum Member

CLIP THERE COLLARS TOGETHER AND SHOOT THE FIRST ONE THAT GROWLES

HOME OF 2010 HIGH SCOREING REDBONE FEMALE, DUAL CH Y2KD, #7 REPRODUCING RED FEMALE
NT.Ch. WINNER AT REDBONE SEC. 2008
3RD PL. NT.CH. 2009 BATTLE OF BREEDS AT ADA OKLA.
4TH PLACE R.Q.E 2010
2ND PLACE OVERALL AT ZONE 4 AND DOUBLE CAST WINNER 2010
WENT TO 2010 WORLD HUNT
AMERICAN REDBONE ASSOCIATION HIGH SCOREING REDBONE FEMALE OF THE 2010 WORLD HUNT
OVERALL HI SCOREING DOG AT 2010 BBCHA BLUE TIC SECTIONAL
GR.NT.CH. AT 12 and A HALF
MADE-EM SEE RED

Old Post 01-22-2018 11:43 PM
oklared is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oklared Click here to Send oklared a Private Message Click Here to Email oklared Find more posts by oklared Add oklared to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rob thompson
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by oklared
CLIP THERE COLLARS TOGETHER AND SHOOT THE FIRST ONE THAT GROWLES
nope that'll be the one I wanna keep! Lol

Old Post 01-23-2018 12:10 AM
rob thompson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rob thompson Click here to Send rob thompson a Private Message Click Here to Email rob thompson Find more posts by rob thompson Add rob thompson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rob thompson
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by fox_91
Cover late, get ate
lmbo

Old Post 01-23-2018 12:18 AM
tony.beals
UKC Forum Member

:)

quote:
Originally posted by thomasg
might as well .at a mile deep be all over 4 ya get to them any how .lol think ill put a vest and collar on mine and maybe everyone will with draw before we cast them .lol

I think I like that idea

MSG, US ARMY RETIRED

Old Post 01-23-2018 01:19 AM
RJ Burks
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Dogwhisper
I said prepare to "handle" not prepare to get ate up.
Nice twist u put on it burks!

So could you explain what "fang" pressure Is????

Old Post 01-23-2018 01:40 AM
RJ Burks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RJ Burks Click here to Send RJ Burks a Private Message Find more posts by RJ Burks Add RJ Burks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jdgher
UKC Forum Member

Drawing mean dogs

Did you ever know someone that had the worst luck? They are all the time drawing out with a mean dog.
Advise: Try your best not to hunt with them until they have a different dog.
If you hunt a male dog, it greatly increases your chances of having trouble. Females with a scratch for fighting is very rare in comparison.

GRNTCH PR' Steve-O and Chili's Red Flow
NTCH PR' Twisters Musical Red Huey DNA-VIP Perf Sire 06'07 Deceased 11/07
Former Home of
NTCH 'PR' Swann's Lonesome Red Music/ Kitty
NTCH. CH PR' SawBlade Red Reckon
NTCH. CH PR' Gher's Timber Mt. Brandy
Breeder of
GRNTCH PR' Daugherty's Red BUBBA
NTCH CH PR' BA'S Tree Top Rockin Griddle
NTCH PR' Lickcreek Backwoods Lil Red Annie

Last edited by jdgher on 01-23-2018 at 01:45 AM

Old Post 01-23-2018 01:40 AM
jdgher is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jdgher Click here to Send jdgher a Private Message Click Here to Email jdgher Find more posts by jdgher Add jdgher to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

Females scratched for fighting may be rare but one of the meanest dogs I ever saw on a tree was a bitch. You would have thought she had a switchblade. Never made a sound on the tree but you could sure hear the other dogs squalling. When you got to the tree she would let the others climb all over her if one was still brave enough. It was apparent what was happening but hard to catch. I was just lucky enough to see her in action.

Old Post 01-23-2018 01:47 PM
yadkinriver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cry Tough Blues
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Josh Michaelis
Nobody owns a dog that leaves trees either. It's always a mean dogs fault

Lol so true

Old Post 01-23-2018 03:33 PM
Cry Tough Blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cry Tough Blues Click here to Send Cry Tough Blues a Private Message Find more posts by Cry Tough Blues Add Cry Tough Blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

quote:

How many of these dogs have you hunted with?

Old Post 01-23-2018 05:06 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by novicane65
Not nearly as many as I've heard people state what I quoted in my post.

Old Post 01-23-2018 05:17 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rob thompson
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by novicane65
I hunted with more than I can count!

Old Post 01-23-2018 06:16 PM
Adam Davis
UKC Forum Member

on a side note if the dog is in a bench show and growls or snaps at judge they are scratched.

8. The Judge shall have the right to disqualify any
owner or handler for misconduct, or any dog for
growling, snapping or fighting. If a dog is disqualified
for growling, snapping or fighting, it must be
reported and sent along with the Bench Show
Report to UKC Detailed policy may be found in the
section “Scratched for Fighting”.

Old Post 01-23-2018 08:24 PM
Adam Davis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Adam Davis Click here to Send Adam Davis a Private Message Find more posts by Adam Davis Add Adam Davis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kler Kry
UKC Forum Member

Aggressive Dogs In Competition

quote:
Originally posted by rob thompson
I hunted with more than I can count!

I can assure you that the competition hunter that says he "never drew a rough dog" is leading the meanest dog in the area!

And that is one trait that is dominant and very easy to eliminate. A aggressive dog can be trained that way, but usually its sire or dam or both should have been spayed or neutered instead of bred.

Old Post 01-23-2018 09:23 PM
Kler Kry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kler Kry Click here to Send Kler Kry a Private Message Click Here to Email Kler Kry Find more posts by Kler Kry Add Kler Kry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Not nearly as many as I've heard people state what I quoted in my post.

I've hunted with a couple. And their statements were right on the $$. If your dog didn't try and push them around 0 issues. I've hunted with some dogs that were down right mean. Try to eat anything and everything.

Old Post 01-24-2018 02:43 AM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hat creek mac
UKC Forum Member

No different than hunting a dog that starts barking right out of your light and never shuts up. I call them "strike stealers." Either way you are knowingly taking unfair advantage of others on a cast.

Run the others off of a tree or steal every first strike??? Not much different to me. Other than the mean pile of crap can ruin someone's nice young dog that they have put time and money into. People don't seem to care about that anymore

A lot of the younger hunters seem to think it is cool to hunt a strike stealer. Probably some that think it is cute to run everyone else off a tree and win a cast that way too. I have listened to some hunters brag about it. What it boils down to is hunters that have no morals and do not care how they win.....just win.

Old Post 01-24-2018 01:37 PM
hat creek mac is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hat creek mac Click here to Send hat creek mac a Private Message Click Here to Email hat creek mac Find more posts by hat creek mac Add hat creek mac to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote