UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Return Deadline Discussion
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Allen / UKC
Administrator

Return Deadline Discussion

Just had a question about returning scorecard deadlines. Specifically, whether or not UKC has a set time period that should be allowed. We do not. Without going into further detail, I thought it might be a good topic to open for discussion here.

As a club officer or Master of Hounds; do you have any specific time period for a return deadline that you consider and what are they?

One reason I think this is a good one for discussion is because I see one specific item that is often times not considered. Wondering if it might come up here.

And go.....

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-18-2018 04:18 PM
Allen / UKC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Allen / UKC Click here to Send Allen / UKC a Private Message Click Here to Email Allen / UKC Find more posts by Allen / UKC Add Allen / UKC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

The hour to retrieve hounds isn't considered

Old Post 01-18-2018 04:25 PM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Allen / UKC
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by sleepy head
The hour to retrieve hounds isn't considered

Bingo! More importantly, is how it effects those who had no choice but to wait the hour and then not be able to finish the hunt and make it back in time. You ruined it Curt.

That's the one I see often times not being considered. It's one of those that most tend to not consider until it happens, the cast winner didn't make it back in time because of that rule that came into play during the hunt, and it's too late.

Old Post 01-18-2018 04:30 PM
Allen / UKC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Allen / UKC Click here to Send Allen / UKC a Private Message Click Here to Email Allen / UKC Find more posts by Allen / UKC Add Allen / UKC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wjoey
Banned

I generally ask to see where my guides are going and set up 5 hours plus the time there driving to hunt , I had rather stay a extra hour and have a winner than cut them short on time , plus all my cast have called me if there is no score or if they have a winner as soon as there cast is up. I found if your generous with return time then they will call and let you know what is going on.

UKC PREFORMANCE SIRE Nt ch pkc ch BAM BAM The only one out of WORLD CH BIG D X GRNT SKIPPERS UMFORGIVEN SAIGE she has 21 pups 4nt ch 5 grnt ch thats 42.85%
He is a coon dog!
Nt ch ch Insane Minnie MouseInsane cain x Malden Branch Mouse

HOME OF 2 TIME AQHA HORSE OF THE YEAR
World champion working cow horse snaffle bit
SMART LITTLE LEGEND
ETCHA CHAMPION
HCHA CHAMPION
Top 16 NCHA WORLD Champion
Home of GHSRA All Around Cowboy Champion Chris wilbanks

Jerico Rebel our Movie star horse hes been in three films now 35 years old
Just passed away February 4th 2016

MY OLD DOGS GONE BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN
The one I will allways miss now deceased 01/09/2013
GR CH GRAND NT CH Handosme Trudy
SIRE PKC WLD CH GR NT WHATS UP DOC
DAM GR NT HUTCHINS SUGAR

GRCH GR NT CH COBBLER CREEK WENDY
GR NT STYLISH TUFF - WENDY X STYLISH LIPPER
GR NT STYLISH TACK - WENDY X STYLISH LIPPER

NT CH SOUTHERN STYLE - JP'S HIGH STYLE X HOUSES LADY

Last edited by wjoey on 01-18-2018 at 04:37 PM

Old Post 01-18-2018 04:30 PM
wjoey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wjoey Click here to Send wjoey a Private Message Find more posts by wjoey Add wjoey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Depends on here.

1. What time of draw out summer vs winter
2. What size of hunt driving distances for cast to hunting grounds

Usually here I set it at 1:00 or 2:00 why it takes 5 hrs to put in a 2 hr hunt is beyond me when you are only at the most driving 30 minutes to hunt but for some reason it does.

Tar

Old Post 01-18-2018 04:32 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

We let the guides decide. Then if they don't make it back, it is their fault.

Old Post 01-18-2018 04:47 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cole run
UKC Forum Member

Allen

Sometimes we as hunters are our own worst enemy I have seen a master of hounds make the deadline reasonable so if there is any problems there is no trouble making the deadline, only to sit there for a hour and a half waiting on one cast that had no plus points and didn't return the card

Old Post 01-18-2018 04:51 PM
cole run is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cole run Click here to Send cole run a Private Message Find more posts by cole run Add cole run to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Allen / UKC
Bingo! More importantly, is how it effects those who had no choice but to wait the hour and then not be able to finish the hunt and make it back in time. You ruined it Curt.

That's the one I see often times not being considered. It's one of those that most tend to not consider until it happens, the cast winner didn't make it back in time because of that rule that came into play during the hunt, and it's too late.

I wish UKC would set a minimum allowed time. Aggregating spending money at a club and they set a dead line that if everything goes perfect you might make it.

Old Post 01-18-2018 04:56 PM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bill(Chew)
UKC Forum Member

I ask the guides for their opinion for the deadline. I usually double the time for the cast to reach their hunting area and add four hours for the hunt.

Like Wjoey I have cast call in if they are not coming back. I understand the possibly of a mad handler calling in that the cast is over with no plus points when in fact the cast is returning with plus points. You have to know the handlers and if you can trust them. I would never do this on a hunt that I don't know the handlers.

Old Post 01-18-2018 05:07 PM
Bill(Chew) is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bill(Chew) Click here to Send Bill(Chew) a Private Message Click Here to Email Bill(Chew) Find more posts by Bill(Chew) Add Bill(Chew) to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

That is a club problem, not a UKC problem. Each local hunt is different. Number of hunters/guides determine deadline needed. There is no possible way for UKC to know how much time will be needed to finish a cast and return to any certain club. The problem comes in when MOH/HD arbitrarily sets a deadline without conferring with all guides. Some guides have a spot where they can hunt the whole 2 hrs without calling time out. Other guides have to call time out and move several times during the hunt.

Old Post 01-18-2018 05:07 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dogwhisper
UKC Forum Member

With tadays cell phones ...why can't the judge just call in the score or picture text it in.
It seems to me that waiting just to turn in a card is "old 🏫".
Bring it above board.....

Old Post 01-18-2018 05:32 PM
Dogwhisper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dogwhisper Click here to Send Dogwhisper a Private Message Find more posts by Dogwhisper Add Dogwhisper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
harleydan1956
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by sleepy head
I wish UKC would set a minimum allowed time. Aggregating spending money at a club and they set a dead line that if everything goes perfect you might make it.

There is a local club in NE Ohio that routinely gives 4 hours from entry deadline to hunt deadline, stating there is plenty of hunting within 15 minutes of the club. I refuse to go there anymore.
Yes, I also wish UKC would make and enforce a minimum time. Even 5 hours would be better.

Canton, ohio
330-904-3392

Home of:
Gr Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Moonlight Serenade... Gr. Ch. Nite Ch PR Hillbillys Smokey River Dutch HTX X Gr. Ch. Nite CH. PR Lethal Blue Izabell Sitara
Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Lil Bit of Respect.... Ch. Nite Ch PR Shivers' Magic Lead X GR. Ch. Nite Ch PR Lethal Blue Betty Jane
PR. Lethal Blue Tayen Grace..... Nite Ch. Pr Coffins creek running J.R. X Gr Ch Nite Ch PR Lethal Blue Moonlite Serenade.

Gone but never forgotten
Gr. Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Izabell Sitara... Dual Gr. Ch PR Bowens Blue Deuce X Ch. Nite Ch. PR Becky.

Gr Ch Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Betty Jane...... PR. Crites Soggy Bottom Blue Banjo X PR. Mosquito Creek Tree mamma Sis

Gr Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Rattlin Samantha ... Dual Gr Ch PR Mid Ohio Rattlin Sam X Gr Ch PR. Lethal Blue Jet's Xena

Gr. Ch. Nite Ch Hillbilly's Smokey River Blue Dutch HTX..... Gr. Ch. Gr. Nite Ch Pr. Smokey River Tramp's Blue Lake and Pr. Misty River Blue Doll III.
(Dutch wasn't ours, but he was here and like one of the family)

Pr. Dan's little Porter.... my last beagle...

Old Post 01-18-2018 05:32 PM
harleydan1956 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for harleydan1956 Click here to Send harleydan1956 a Private Message Click Here to Email harleydan1956 Find more posts by harleydan1956 Add harleydan1956 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wbond
UKC Forum Member

We always ask.the guide who is going the furthest what deadline he needs but I do think it's time for a way for a dead cast to report there card if no one in there cast is coming back

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"

Thomas Jefferson

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government."
Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by wbond on 01-18-2018 at 05:44 PM

Old Post 01-18-2018 05:41 PM
wbond is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wbond Click here to Send wbond a Private Message Click Here to Email wbond Find more posts by wbond Add wbond to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J I Allen
UKC Forum Member

In my part of the world the MOH/HD will ask everybody involved hunters and guides what time they want the deadline.

Old Post 01-18-2018 06:20 PM
J I Allen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J I Allen Click here to Send J I Allen a Private Message Find more posts by J I Allen Add J I Allen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

Hunting from a satellite clubs at big hunts, more than once the cast knew that there was no way they would be to hunt the full 2 hrs before they ever turned loose

Old Post 01-18-2018 07:42 PM
Bill(Chew)
UKC Forum Member

The thing I've seen at large hunts is the guide lying to the MOH about how far they are taking the cast. I've been on hunts where the guide said they were going 40 minutes and drive above the speed limit for 90 minutes.

Old Post 01-18-2018 10:03 PM
Bill(Chew) is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bill(Chew) Click here to Send Bill(Chew) a Private Message Click Here to Email Bill(Chew) Find more posts by Bill(Chew) Add Bill(Chew) to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tim MACHA
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by wbond
We always ask.the guide who is going the furthest what deadline he needs but I do think it's time for a way for a dead cast to report there card if no one in there cast is coming back

I have lost track of how many times the guide says that we are going about 30 minutes, then an hour later, we are still driving. lol

Good people do not need laws to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws (Plato)

Old Post 01-18-2018 11:37 PM
Tim MACHA is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tim MACHA Click here to Send Tim MACHA a Private Message Click Here to Email Tim MACHA Find more posts by Tim MACHA Add Tim MACHA to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnny reb
UKC Forum Member

I think most places would need 5-6 hrs at a minimum for a hunt.

Old Post 01-19-2018 12:14 AM
johnny reb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnny reb Click here to Send johnny reb a Private Message Click Here to Email johnny reb Find more posts by johnny reb Add johnny reb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Roy Grant
UKC Forum Member

Everyone has been on a cast something happens and there is NO way to get back. Joe live the call in, with all the tech we have now pictures of the score card sent via text.

Old Post 01-19-2018 12:36 AM
Roy Grant is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Roy Grant Click here to Send Roy Grant a Private Message Click Here to Email Roy Grant Find more posts by Roy Grant Add Roy Grant to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Pat Bizich
Banned

Lately here some MOH's have made the statement that "UKC" required 5 hours minimum from entry close to hunt deadline ?
I never heard that my self but what ever works I guess.

Usually we see who is travelling the further and set the time accordingly.

Gone but never forgotten:
NtChGrCh Dryfork Punkin
NtChGrCh Dryfork Little Blue Baby Doll
2009 Pa Show Dog Of The Year
GrCh Dryfork Little Black Book
Gr.Ch. Make My Day Sunny
Gone too soon RIP my baby girl
Gr.Ch. Black Dog Black Cherry
GrCh Dryfork Black Dog Raine
One of kind and would make a believer out of you when you thought there were no coon left
Home of:
2009,2013,2018 Pa. State
Show Handler Of The Year
CH. Power Pack Pepper
2018 Pa. Show Dog Of Year
Gr.Ch. Batman's Poison Ivy
2011&2013 WTDA Pa State Champion
2011&2013 Overall Hunt For The Cure
Ch. Jay's Greenridge Heidi
In memory of my best friend "Jay"

Old Post 01-19-2018 12:46 AM
Pat Bizich is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Pat Bizich Click here to Send Pat Bizich a Private Message Find more posts by Pat Bizich Add Pat Bizich to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mark V.
UKC Forum Member

We try to give them 5 hr. plus drive time I wouldn't want anyone to be in a accident tring to hury back BUT at NO time do we deduct points for coming back before the 5 hr. is up

Old Post 01-19-2018 12:55 AM
Mark V. is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mark V. Click here to Send Mark V. a Private Message Click Here to Email Mark V. Find more posts by Mark V. Add Mark V. to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
treedog2345
UKC Forum Member

I think it should be minimum 5 hours then allow clubs to add to that if needed. I know a time a state hunt we drove hour and 20 or so to turn loose hunted 3 hours same spot tree to tree and cast winner had to rush to make it back. Not only would 5 hour min make it easier on hunters and clubs it might keep Hunters from havING to put their and someone else's lives in jeopardy over a score card...

Old Post 01-19-2018 12:56 AM
treedog2345 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for treedog2345 Click here to Send treedog2345 a Private Message Find more posts by treedog2345 Add treedog2345 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Bill(Chew)
The thing I've seen at large hunts is the guide lying to the MOH about how far they are taking the cast. I've been on hunts where the guide said they were going 40 minutes and drive above the speed limit for 90 minutes.
and the same guide sat around at the club talking b.s. to who ever would talk 30 minutes or more before you leave . lol

Old Post 01-19-2018 12:58 AM
thomasg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thomasg Click here to Send thomasg a Private Message Click Here to Email thomasg Find more posts by thomasg Add thomasg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Corey Gruver
UKC Forum Member

I’ve always liked the idea of a set minimum. Seems to me earlier deadlines can put a lot of undo stress on the guides themselves, whether they have to travel or not. I mean, we are all Coonhunters after all, we shouldn’t be afraid of bedtimes or curfews by now... right??

Old Post 01-19-2018 01:13 AM
Corey Gruver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Corey Gruver Click here to Send Corey Gruver a Private Message Find more posts by Corey Gruver Add Corey Gruver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mike fleming
UKC Forum Member

One thing I have noticed is they instead of going on hunting they wait late to turn loose.

Old Post 01-19-2018 03:18 AM
mike fleming is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mike fleming Click here to Send mike fleming a Private Message Find more posts by mike fleming Add mike fleming to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote