UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Bruce- garmin/tablet help
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Hitman79
UKC Forum Member

Bruce- garmin/tablet help

Bruce we made a tablet track with Birdseye like the drivetrack. Used it all last winter running coyotes worked decent besides a couple computer glitches. The problem this year is I can still track dogs but no birdseye. Another guy that uses a tablet said you need a valid Birdseye to make the tablet work. Do you have any insight on this? Thanks in advance.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-31-2017 11:06 PM
Hitman79 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hitman79 Click here to Send Hitman79 a Private Message Click Here to Email Hitman79 Find more posts by Hitman79 Add Hitman79 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

If you had birdseye on your tablet last year it should still have what you downloaded on it this year. Are you using the same handheld you used last year.

Last edited by Bruce m. Conkey on 01-01-2018 at 12:01 AM

Old Post 12-31-2017 11:42 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hitman79
UKC Forum Member

Same garmin unit garmin has the Birdseye. What was downloaded to the tablet is still there but a different file seems like the overlay isn't working. When I get the wire from the Garmin to the tablet hooked up garmin asks to prompt Basecamp I press yes. Tablet realizes device connected. Then have to press garmin device on tablet screen when I do Birdseye goes away on tablet but tracks dogs. Press the my collection icon Birdseye comes back but no dog tracking. Garmin unit works with Birdseye the whole time. My buddy did some fancy computer stuff to make this work. The guys he knows run this way and said I need a valid Birdseye to make it work. I thought it would run like the Garmin as long as I already had the area downloaded. Just thought you may have run across this before. I can't be the only guy running a home made tablet to track. Pleas help if you can thanks.

Old Post 01-01-2018 03:08 AM
Hitman79 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hitman79 Click here to Send Hitman79 a Private Message Click Here to Email Hitman79 Find more posts by Hitman79 Add Hitman79 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

I would say your sitaution is unique and without having the hardware to work with it would be impossibe for me to give you the correct answer. The worst case is you would need to get thirty dollar subscription.

Old Post 01-01-2018 03:15 AM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hitman79
UKC Forum Member

Bruce thanks for your input. Just thought you might have come across this before. You do a great job helping out on this site it is appreciated by many.

Old Post 01-01-2018 03:25 AM
coonhunter, MO
UKC Forum Member

Garmin yearly Subscription

I don't know if it will help but my understanding that to use B/E on a tablet or computer you have to keep B/E updated threw Garmin, you have to pay the $30.00 every year to run on the tablet, I just did mine, if you let it go, I believe you have to down load the areas/map you had threw Garmin again, If you renew within the year the subscription/maps keep running like before. Just for B/E on the Garmin you only have to pay and download one time, it stays on your handheld device, its different for running on a tablet, hope this might help!

Old Post 01-04-2018 01:32 AM
coonhunter, MO is offline Click Here to See the Profile for coonhunter, MO Click here to Send coonhunter, MO a Private Message Find more posts by coonhunter, MO Add coonhunter, MO to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hitman79
UKC Forum Member

Thank you that is exactly what I needed to know. And what I heard second hand from another guy using a tablet. I was hoping all I needed to do was spend the 30 dollars on the Birdseye and download again. And that there wasn't something more involved with the tablet. Thank you.

Old Post 01-05-2018 01:11 AM
jdgher
UKC Forum Member

Tablet

Which tablet is best? Best bang for the buck? I'd like to try a tablet.

GRNTCH PR' Steve-O and Chili's Red Flow
NTCH PR' Twisters Musical Red Huey DNA-VIP Perf Sire 06'07 Deceased 11/07
Former Home of
NTCH 'PR' Swann's Lonesome Red Music/ Kitty
NTCH. CH PR' SawBlade Red Reckon
NTCH. CH PR' Gher's Timber Mt. Brandy
Breeder of
GRNTCH PR' Daugherty's Red BUBBA
NTCH CH PR' BA'S Tree Top Rockin Griddle
NTCH PR' Lickcreek Backwoods Lil Red Annie

Old Post 01-05-2018 03:31 AM
jdgher is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jdgher Click here to Send jdgher a Private Message Click Here to Email jdgher Find more posts by jdgher Add jdgher to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

The Garmin Drive Track is the best. No wires to mess with as it bluetooth to your handheld.
The are on sale right now with $100 rebate available.
You can check them out here on this link on this message board.
http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthrea...eadid=928497813

Old Post 01-05-2018 01:11 PM
Hitman79
UKC Forum Member

If I was starting from scratch I would go with the drivetrack no doubt about it. Only thing and I mean only thing better about the tablet is screen size.

Old Post 01-06-2018 10:16 PM
jdgher
UKC Forum Member

Tablet

The drive track looks ok especially with 100 rebate, but I already have a drive smart 60 for navigation on the dash.
I'd like a tablet for the bigger screen.
What research I've done suggests a tablet with windows 10 (not android), it's best to have a normal usb port on it.
So which tablet is best for the money?

Former Home of
Breeder of

Old Post 01-10-2018 08:30 PM
jdgher is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jdgher Click here to Send jdgher a Private Message Click Here to Email jdgher Find more posts by jdgher Add jdgher to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

I can't recommend any tablet. There are to many hidden things you have to take into consideration if you want it done right.
With a tablet there are wires running from the ALPHA to it. You are plugging in and unplugging your ALPHA or other handheld several times during a hunt. Look at the small connection on and how long do you think it will be before you tear it up. So I also suggest if that is the way you go, have another handheld just for the tablet.
If you use a tablet with the ALPHA when the ALPHA is plugged into it you will also be charging the ALPHA. You better get a charger that will keep the tablet charged and the ALPHA charged or you won't be hunting long.
The tablet itself due to the constant vibration in a truck should have Solid State Drive.
Most tablets won't keep the truck centered on it. I don't know what hunting you will be doing but if Yote or Deer hunting with a pack of dogs you are going to be hauling but while trying to navigate your screen with your fingers. On a tablet the left navigate bar is so small trying to select one dog or other selections is very aggravating if your doing more than one thing at a time and in most cases you are.
The funny thing is yes a drive track is smaller than a tablet but everything is in proportion and easier to read.

With the State Huntview card in the Drive Track I think they are hard to beat. The only advantage is some guys down here have their wives hunt with them and they keep control of the tablet. You can bluetooth you phone to it and have internet connection which keeps them happy shopping while your trying to hunt.

Old Post 01-10-2018 10:49 PM
jdgher
UKC Forum Member

Thanks Bruce

Really appreciate that info Bruce, saved me a bunch of trouble. I'll pass on the tablet for awhile.

Former Home of
Breeder of

Old Post 01-11-2018 05:44 PM