UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Puppy feed
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
arkansas cooner
UKC Forum Member

Puppy feed

What puppy feed do y'all perfer? What do y'all want for a puppies protein and fat % be in their feed? Trying to find something new

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-04-2016 05:52 PM
arkansas cooner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for arkansas cooner Click here to Send arkansas cooner a Private Message Click Here to Email arkansas cooner Find more posts by arkansas cooner Add arkansas cooner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
K&K
UKC Forum Member

Food

I have had good look with the diamond naturals rice and lamb. Hard stools and slick shiny goods with good energy. Puppy chow healthy morsels is also a good feed.

Old Post 03-04-2016 06:15 PM
K&K is offline Click Here to See the Profile for K&K Click here to Send K&K a Private Message Click Here to Email K&K Find more posts by K&K Add K&K to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
arkansas cooner
UKC Forum Member

Is sport mix puppy any good? Used purines puppy chow forever and I like diamond too

Old Post 03-04-2016 06:30 PM
arkansas cooner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for arkansas cooner Click here to Send arkansas cooner a Private Message Click Here to Email arkansas cooner Find more posts by arkansas cooner Add arkansas cooner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mr taylor
UKC Forum Member

for years all i have used is puppy chow and the puppy feed made by sunshine mills , they both are good , i have never used sport mix puppy feed , just have to check protein , fat , ingredients , i like for the first if not first two to be a meat in any feed ..

Old Post 03-04-2016 06:53 PM
mr taylor is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mr taylor Click here to Send mr taylor a Private Message Find more posts by mr taylor Add mr taylor to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HOBO
UKC Forum Member

I raise all of my pups on Purnia Puppy Chow, There are two types of Puppy Chow. One has green, yellow and brown pieces the other has yellow, brown and tan. Stay away from the one with the green.. it gives the pups the runs.

Ch.Swampmusic Lil Bit Sassy
Ch.Swampmusic Misty Shadow
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Boone
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Pride

But Looking To The Future...

Nt.Ch.Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Big Hoss

Dennis Robinson
Cell 540-295-3892

Old Post 03-04-2016 07:32 PM
HOBO is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HOBO Click here to Send HOBO a Private Message Click Here to Email HOBO Visit HOBO's homepage! Find more posts by HOBO Add HOBO to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

When Ruby was pregnant, I read an article that recommended feeding the mother dogs puppy chow. Although she ate Purina puppy chow for a yr when she was younger, she wouldn't touch it when she was pregnant. We bought several brands to try and found she liked 4 Health from TSC the best. We started the pups on it, but last wk tried to switch them to Purina puppy chow and they got the diarrhea The vet told us that Purina was a good food, but to keep them on 4 Health (its made by Diamond).

Old Post 03-04-2016 07:48 PM
Rex Ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rex Ridge Click here to Send Rex Ridge a Private Message Find more posts by Rex Ridge Add Rex Ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Well Started
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Rex Ridge
When Ruby was pregnant, I read an article that recommended feeding the mother dogs puppy chow. Although she ate Purina puppy chow for a yr when she was younger, she wouldn't touch it when she was pregnant. We bought several brands to try and found she liked 4 Health from TSC the best. We started the pups on it, but last wk tried to switch them to Purina puppy chow and they got the diarrhea The vet told us that Purina was a good food, but to keep them on 4 Health (its made by Diamond).

Had the same thing happen the one and only time I tried Purina Puppy Chow. I don't pretend to know about Pro Plan, etc, never fed it, but their puppy chow is junk ingredients in my opinion.

Old Post 03-04-2016 07:54 PM
Well Started is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Well Started Click here to Send Well Started a Private Message Find more posts by Well Started Add Well Started to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HOBO
UKC Forum Member

I bet of you fed the bag with the green pieces in it.

Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Boone
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Pride

Dennis Robinson
Cell 540-295-3892

Old Post 03-04-2016 08:19 PM
HOBO is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HOBO Click here to Send HOBO a Private Message Click Here to Email HOBO Visit HOBO's homepage! Find more posts by HOBO Add HOBO to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Huntnharris
UKC Forum Member

Sportmix puppy food is junk! Don't waste your $$$! I tried it and still have a parcel bag, i use it in live traps now!

Purina or diamond is my choice.

www.harrishoundsupply.net

Old Post 03-04-2016 08:42 PM
Huntnharris is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Huntnharris Click here to Send Huntnharris a Private Message Click Here to Email Huntnharris Visit Huntnharris's homepage! Find more posts by Huntnharris Add Huntnharris to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wakenda creek b
UKC Forum Member

I've had good results with purina puppy and diamond puppy. I usually use diamond puppy, it's cheaper, has a better protein/fat content then purina but both are good foods.

Old Post 03-04-2016 09:20 PM
wakenda creek b is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wakenda creek b Click here to Send wakenda creek b a Private Message Click Here to Email wakenda creek b Find more posts by wakenda creek b Add wakenda creek b to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

I've been using Purina Puppy Chow since Purina's been making it. It's great! I have a pup booked that's going to be born next week. She will be raised on Purina Puppy Chow.

Old Post 03-04-2016 10:42 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
arkansas cooner
UKC Forum Member

Thank yall

Old Post 03-04-2016 10:44 PM
RatDog
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by HOBO

how the heck ya know which is which ?

Old Post 03-05-2016 12:07 AM
RatDog is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RatDog Click here to Send RatDog a Private Message Find more posts by RatDog Add RatDog to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

I fed my pups both kinds. No problems.

Old Post 03-05-2016 12:09 AM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ronnie H
UKC Forum Member

I feed puppy chow two times daily. In the morning I mix some DYNE with it and feed it dry at night.

Old Post 03-05-2016 12:40 AM
Ronnie H is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ronnie H Click here to Send Ronnie H a Private Message Click Here to Email Ronnie H Find more posts by Ronnie H Add Ronnie H to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HOBO
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by RatDog
how the heck ya know which is which ?

There's a picture on the front of the bags showing whats in each one.

Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Boone
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Pride

Dennis Robinson
Cell 540-295-3892

Old Post 03-05-2016 01:01 AM
Bruce M. Conkey

I raise all puppies on Purina Puppy Chow. I add some water and maybe some beef or chicken broth. I also add one can of ALPO beef stew. Mix this all up and start giving it to them at about 3 weeks of age. About 6 weeks of age I start keeping some puppy chow dry with them and transfer them over to it.

Old Post 03-05-2016 11:38 AM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

I put Purina Puppy Chow and warm water in a blender. I start the pups on it at 3 weeks.

Old Post 03-05-2016 03:59 PM
hillbilly56
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by arkansas cooner
Is sport mix puppy any good? Used purines puppy chow forever and I like diamond too
i wouldn't feed sportmix to anything i own jmo

Old Post 03-05-2016 11:03 PM
hillbilly56 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hillbilly56 Click here to Send hillbilly56 a Private Message Click Here to Email hillbilly56 Find more posts by hillbilly56 Add hillbilly56 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

quote:

Yes, it had green in it.

Old Post 03-06-2016 05:53 AM
Rex Ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rex Ridge Click here to Send Rex Ridge a Private Message Find more posts by Rex Ridge Add Rex Ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HOBO
UKC Forum Member

Buy the other bag of Puppy Chow and you won't have that problem. I don't know what it is that caused it but I noticed it a few years back. I've even mentioned it to Purina and they told me no one had ever mentioned it to them before.

Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Boone
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Pride

Dennis Robinson
Cell 540-295-3892

Old Post 03-06-2016 11:11 AM
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Buy the other bag of Puppy Chow and you won't have that problem. I don't know what it is that caused it but I noticed it a few years back. I've even mentioned it to Purina and they told me no one had ever mentioned it to them before.

Purina Puppy Chow Healthy Morsels has the green pieces in it; Purina Puppy Chow COMPLETE doesn't.
Hobo, I just called Purina and got s message that they'd get back to me. Just want to let them know they have another puppy owner that isn't happy with green morsels.
I called the vet yesterday, and he told me to take them off the 4 Health, too, because it has lamb in it. Told me to look for something with chicken and rice. I found Diamond Natural but its for small breed and is only about the size of bb's. Just started mixing it in last night and stools r firmer. These puos are almost all sold and should be going to new homes on Friday ...won't be leaving here until they're better though. Never had a problem with Purina before, but sure haven't had good luck with the last 2 bags I bought.

Old Post 03-06-2016 08:15 PM
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

Pro Plan or Iams

Old Post 03-06-2016 08:35 PM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HOBO
UKC Forum Member

I was toooo lazy to go look at the bag. LOL

The female that I have whelping today has been on Puppy Chow for about 3 weeks now.

Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Boone
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Pride

Dennis Robinson
Cell 540-295-3892

Old Post 03-06-2016 09:12 PM
Autumn Clements
UKC Forum Member

Purina Puppy Chow

Last few pups I've had I've fed Purina puppy chow but I've also fed Purina beniful puppy food in the past

'PR'LEAD'S MIDNITE SASSY
CFC CH Canadian GCH Multi Group Placing MBPIG BBPIG LEGACYK STANNYFIELD PRIME TIME (AKC & UKC Pointed)
BPIG MBBPIG WINDAMIRS RED LIGHT DISTRICT V AMBERLANE
LEGACYK DARE TO DREAM V CBLUES
LEGACYK WHITE AS A GHOST V CBLUES

Gone but not forgotten
GRNITECH GRCH PKC CH'PR'CLEMENTS' BLUE PRANCER

GRNITECH GRCH'PR'SPIKE'S TWILITE HOOKER
'PR'PRANCER'S GETTIN DOWN N DIRTY (PrancerxHooker)
NITECH CH’PR’BUELL’S BLUE ROCKY(Whitey x Spice)

CKC BBPIG MARIES BABY BREEZE

Old Post 03-06-2016 09:31 PM
Autumn Clements is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Autumn Clements Click here to Send Autumn Clements a Private Message Click Here to Email Autumn Clements Find more posts by Autumn Clements Add Autumn Clements to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote