UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > How a century of breeding 'improvement' has turned once-healthy dogs into deformed an
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
wbond
UKC Forum Member

How a century of breeding 'improvement' has turned once-healthy dogs into deformed an

Let the debate begin

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ed-animals.html

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"

Thomas Jefferson

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government."
Thomas Jefferson

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-06-2013 06:58 PM
wbond is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wbond Click here to Send wbond a Private Message Click Here to Email wbond Find more posts by wbond Add wbond to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cynthia
UKC Forum Member

wow

2015 AO Overall Dual Champion NTCH GRCH 'PR' Sexy and I know It (breeder/owner/handler)
2016 Grand American Overall Dual Ch, Overall Show CHampion NTCH GRCH 'PR' Sexy and I know It

AKC CSG, UKC CCH GRCH 'PR' Southern Flame Bad News Bandit (Bandit)
2010 National Grand Champion Bluetick
2013 AO Bluetick Stud Dog winner

CCH GCH 'PR' Southern Flame Elvira - the one that started it all

southernflamekennel@earthlink.net

RIP Southern Flame Elvira (the cornerstone of the kennel) 5/16/02-1/17/14

RIP Southern Flame Scarlet (the lone Redbone) 5/11/01-7/19/13

RIP Southern Flame Wild Irish Rose (Rosie) 6/15/09 - 3/12/15

RIP Southern Flame Too Hot to Trot (Bonnie) 3/27/07 - 4/20/15

RIP Southern Flame Bad News Bandit (Bandit)

RIP Southern Flame Triple Trouble (TT) 12/17/04 - 11/19/16

RIP Southern Flame Blame it on the Rain (Rain)

RIP AdeleMay's a Smokey Bandit (Adele)

RIP Southern Flame I Like Ike (Ike)

RIP Bella the Beagle

Bear, Jerry Lee, Camo, Maybellene, Lacy, Thor, Sissy, Merle, Tina, Bridgette - the Blueticks, Hollie - the Aussie

Old Post 12-06-2013 08:30 PM
Cynthia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cynthia Click here to Send Cynthia a Private Message Click Here to Email Cynthia Visit Cynthia's homepage! Find more posts by Cynthia Add Cynthia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
1nighthunter
UKC Forum Member

Interesting sure makes one wonder especially after reading CB this month

I spent a lot of money on booze, dogs and trucks. The rest I just squandered.

If a man had half his wishes he would double his troubles

I used to have an open mind but my brains kept falling out

Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film

Old Post 12-09-2013 02:24 PM
1nighthunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 1nighthunter Click here to Send 1nighthunter a Private Message Click Here to Email 1nighthunter Find more posts by 1nighthunter Add 1nighthunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
masonman1974
UKC Forum Member

I think the blogger guy is retarted.....the only one looked different was bull terrier but the old pic was not a bull terrier...

Old Post 12-09-2013 02:53 PM
masonman1974 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for masonman1974 Click here to Send masonman1974 a Private Message Click Here to Email masonman1974 Visit masonman1974's homepage! Find more posts by masonman1974 Add masonman1974 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Atherton
UKC Forum Member

First of all, the gentleman blogger has picked dogs who have been selected to physical extremes.

Yes, I feel that man has pushed several breeds too far, and that many show breeders have used vanity much too often in their breeding choices. I mean their vanity as much as the for the dog's vanity.

Even though I live in Michigan, I haven't received my Bloodlines yet so I can not speak to.

I do not believe that as far as physical traits that we have been detrimental to our hounds. I do believe we have been fairly successful for breeding for treeing traits. Unfortunately, we haven't trained all of our trainers on how to deal with natural borne tree dogs.

Aim small miss small

Old Post 12-09-2013 03:16 PM
Larry Atherton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Atherton Click here to Send Larry Atherton a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Atherton Visit Larry Atherton's homepage! Find more posts by Larry Atherton Add Larry Atherton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cynthia
UKC Forum Member

look again. all of the dogs have changed. either head pieces, length of leg, body build (stockiness).

2015 AO Overall Dual Champion NTCH GRCH 'PR' Sexy and I know It (breeder/owner/handler)
2016 Grand American Overall Dual Ch, Overall Show CHampion NTCH GRCH 'PR' Sexy and I know It

RIP Bella the Beagle

Bear, Jerry Lee, Camo, Maybellene, Lacy, Thor, Sissy, Merle, Tina, Bridgette - the Blueticks, Hollie - the Aussie

Old Post 12-09-2013 03:23 PM
Cynthia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cynthia Click here to Send Cynthia a Private Message Click Here to Email Cynthia Visit Cynthia's homepage! Find more posts by Cynthia Add Cynthia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bluetickman2002
UKC Forum Member

problem is 99% of them nowadays are house pets not working dogs any more and 99% of the people who breed them for house pets have no buissness breeding dogs at all
most probly have no idea what their particular breed standard is

pr swampland tiny(boomer x wezze)
pr swampland hank (nb levi X wezze )
pr swampland skeeter ( hank X tilly )
Bob Sietman 1-989-858-6455

Old Post 12-09-2013 03:48 PM
bluetickman2002 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bluetickman2002 Click here to Send bluetickman2002 a Private Message Click Here to Email bluetickman2002 Find more posts by bluetickman2002 Add bluetickman2002 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

When a breed is incapable of breeding naturally and incapable of welping naturally (English Bulldog) that breed has made a wrong turn. I don't see anything here that can be applied to coonhounds.

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Old Post 12-09-2013 04:44 PM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cleo
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by bluetickman2002
problem is 99% of them nowadays are house pets not working dogs any more and 99% of the people who breed them for house pets have no buissness breeding dogs at all
most probly have no idea what their particular breed standard is

Amen.

I am afraid of what the next 25 yrs will bring.
As for a "breed standard", it seems that can be changed to suit whomever is "in charge" this week.

~A man is only as good as his word~

Proud home to;

'PR' Kentucky River Fly Again (Kentucky River Rowdy frozen semen)
ACHA CHT x3 Broken Roads Little Texas (Kentucky River Rowdy x Houses Lipper's Hope)
CH Broken Roads Southern Stylish Boom (Kentucky River Rowdy x Houses Lipper's Hope)
Broken Road's Rowdy Lil Miss (Kentucky River Rowdy x Houses Lipper's Hope)
Broken Road's Meabie I will (Lipper's Rooster x Missy)
Broken Roads IMA Boomer2 (UKC NATL GRCH GRNTCH Honest Abe x Broken Roads Southern Stylish Boom
~~~~~Watch out!~~~~~
They just might make an IMPACT!

and the girls...Punkin and Tater!

Gone by never forgotten ~ Fly high my beautiful angels
~ GRCH GNTCH PKC SC Toucan Sam
~CH Toucan's Ugly Betty
~ CCH CH Southforks September Rain
~ Martin's Daisy JJ (what a beautiful litter you left behind)
~ Luke, the lab who brought us so many doves and ducks over the years
~ UKC GRCH,ACHA CH 2014 LWCH 2014 2 x's ACHA YOUTH WCH AKC CH AKC CH 'PR' Kentucky River Mundar ~ (Kentucky River Rowdy frozen semen) DNA Profiled ~ Fly high, old friend.

"The WILL of God will never take you where the GRACE of God can not protect you!"

Last edited by Cleo on 12-09-2013 at 05:12 PM

Old Post 12-09-2013 05:08 PM
Cleo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cleo Click here to Send Cleo a Private Message Find more posts by Cleo Add Cleo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wvhardline86
UKC Forum Member

they all started from something else and in the future they will be something new as they where in the past.

Old Post 12-09-2013 08:21 PM
wvhardline86 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wvhardline86 Click here to Send wvhardline86 a Private Message Click Here to Email wvhardline86 Find more posts by wvhardline86 Add wvhardline86 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cynthia
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by wvhardline86
they all started from something else and in the future they will be something new as they where in the past.

but how is this possible if the breed standard does not change????

RIP Bella the Beagle

Old Post 12-09-2013 08:32 PM
1nighthunter
UKC Forum Member

After reading the article in CB The Judges Speak Out I was just wondering about the argument Show dogs can not tree a coon and the dogs that tree a coon cannot win a big show are we going in two different directions almost no one in the show or hunts compete in the same dog in both what I mean is by that a dog that hunted in a hunt like Autumn Oaks making the sweet sixteen and being show as a Grand at the same hunt

I guess what I am saying I see very few who are breeding for both

Oh and by the way I thought the article was very good and interesting really enjoyed the Judges answers to all the questions

I spent a lot of money on booze, dogs and trucks. The rest I just squandered.

If a man had half his wishes he would double his troubles

I used to have an open mind but my brains kept falling out

Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film

Last edited by 1nighthunter on 12-09-2013 at 09:25 PM

Old Post 12-09-2013 09:20 PM
1nighthunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 1nighthunter Click here to Send 1nighthunter a Private Message Click Here to Email 1nighthunter Find more posts by 1nighthunter Add 1nighthunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

A lot of those changes can be attributed to just being different dogs. I have had hounds that were short and stocky and some that are leggy and thin. The blogger is acting like every dog of that breed in the past looked like the one in the photo and every one today look like the show dogs he compared them too.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 12-09-2013 09:35 PM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
john Duemmer
UKC Forum Member

Any breed of dog in which the individuals being bred are selected on the basis of appearance is destined to suffer in performance. Their are many examples in the AKC. show dogs of working breeds that have become useless for the purpose that the breed was originally intended.

The other side of the coin are the physical problems that can crop up when physically inpared individuals are bred based only on performance. Look at all the thyroid problems that some lines of hounds are producing, but they keep breeding them. 10 years ago no one even thought about a dogs thyroid, now some guys have multiple dogs in their breeding program that have to live their whole life on medication.

Old Post 12-09-2013 09:38 PM
john Duemmer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for john Duemmer Click here to Send john Duemmer a Private Message Click Here to Email john Duemmer Find more posts by john Duemmer Add john Duemmer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Atherton
UKC Forum Member

John,

Most of the dogs with Thyroid problems are larger hounds. This trait is an interesting one. Typically, a good performer has to be physically sound. This isn't the case with thyroid or eyelid issues. Inverted eyelids is a simple recessive trait, and it is fairly easy to select away from simple recessive traits in 3-4 generations. The thyroid issue is interesting because it develops with age. So you can have a good performer who suddenly doesn't hunt quite the same.

I will look up and see what my dog genetics book says about the thyroid issue and its mode of transmission.

Aim small miss small

Old Post 12-10-2013 06:01 PM
Larry Atherton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Atherton Click here to Send Larry Atherton a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Atherton Visit Larry Atherton's homepage! Find more posts by Larry Atherton Add Larry Atherton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Larry Atherton
John,

Most of the dogs with Thyroid problems are larger hounds. This trait is an interesting one. Typically, a good performer has to be physically sound. This isn't the case with thyroid or eyelid issues. Inverted eyelids is a simple recessive trait, and it is fairly easy to select away from simple recessive traits in 3-4 generations. The thyroid issue is interesting because it develops with age. So you can have a good performer who suddenly doesn't hunt quite the same.

I will look up and see what my dog genetics book says about the thyroid issue and its mode of transmission.

I would appreciate knowing about the thyroid issue also Larry. I'm hunting one of the best I have followed and she has a thyroid problem. She is 4 coming 5 and has never been bred. I have an appointment Tuesday to have her spayed because of this. She is not a large dog though. She is around 45 lb most of the time.

It seems that every dog getting tested has it. Is it just something that has always been a problem and they were not tested for it? Its popping up in several lines and breeds of coon hounds so if it has not always been a problem then it must be an environmental factor? Dog food, hart worm meds, insecticide?

Home Of:

Old Post 12-10-2013 07:19 PM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J. Langley
UKC Forum Member

English Bulldogs can have natural births, that is a myth that is false. It is true that most pups are taken c-section, but that is just to prevent POSSIBLE complications. Any dog can have complications during birth, and most bulldog breeders just dont want to take any chances because of the $$$ at stake. A litter of 5 can bring you $10,000

Old Post 12-10-2013 10:27 PM
J. Langley is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J. Langley Click here to Send J. Langley a Private Message Find more posts by J. Langley Add J. Langley to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dale Young
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by joey
I would appreciate knowing about the thyroid issue also Larry. I'm hunting one of the best I have followed and she has a thyroid problem. She is 4 coming 5 and has never been bred. I have an appointment Tuesday to have her spayed because of this. She is not a large dog though. She is around 45 lb most of the time.

It seems that every dog getting tested has it. Is it just something that has always been a problem and they were not tested for it? Its popping up in several lines and breeds of coon hounds so if it has not always been a problem then it must be an environmental factor? Dog food, hart worm meds, insecticide?

Interesting thought Joey, If it's in most breeds of hounds I would guess it didn't get there thru crossbreeding . Within one breed maybe but I don't think we've done enough crossbreeding to spread it very far .

Old Post 12-10-2013 11:24 PM
Dale Young is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dale Young Click here to Send Dale Young a Private Message Click Here to Email Dale Young Find more posts by Dale Young Add Dale Young to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dale Young
UKC Forum Member

Most of these dogs had a purpose in life that no longer supports a need for them other than pets , companions and show dogs . What I see for the modern dogs is mostly soft out of shape conditions . The German Shepard's I see on TV in the show ring look weak in the hind legs . They may or may not be but that's the way they appear to me .
Most things in life go back to balance with one part supporting the other parts and working well together . A dogs life is short and they practically age as we're looking at them so it shouldn't be a surprise that the majority lose a step in later years just as we do .

Old Post 12-10-2013 11:48 PM
Dale Young is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dale Young Click here to Send Dale Young a Private Message Click Here to Email Dale Young Find more posts by Dale Young Add Dale Young to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hubbard84
UKC Forum Member

What were talking about here in the article is mans Artificial Selection of certain characteristics in dog breeds over the past 100 years. This is opposed to Charles Darwin's Theory of Natural Selection in which certain traits are selected for by natural processes allowing the individuals with these traits to survive and reproduce. The bulldog is a good example of how humans desire to have dogs who are lethargic, obese, slobbery, and stupid looking has completely made this breed unhealthy. The eyelid rolling in is called Entropion, and my coondog had this when she was younger and we had it surgically corrected. I think coonhunters have selected for the right traits to breed healthy, hard-hunting hounds. I don't have much evidence of this, but am interested in learning more about the thyroid issues. My dog is only three now but this year she hasn't been hunting wide at all, and her hair never has grown in thick like I would like to. Just wondered what all of the signs/symptoms were of thyroid problems in dogs?

Old Post 12-10-2013 11:48 PM
Hubbard84 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hubbard84 Click here to Send Hubbard84 a Private Message Click Here to Email Hubbard84 Find more posts by Hubbard84 Add Hubbard84 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Hubbard84 My dog is only three now but this year she hasn't been hunting wide at all, and her hair never has grown in thick like I would like to. Just wondered what all of the signs/symptoms were of thyroid problems in dogs? [/B]

From what I understand it effects every organ in the body in some way or another. The skin is the largest organ and is a sure sign of a problem. My gyp is thin haired and does not put on a winter coat, and has issues with hot spots.

Home Of:

Old Post 12-11-2013 02:14 AM
Larry Atherton
UKC Forum Member

Thyroid issues

O.K. this information is straight from the book written by George A. Padgett, DVM "Control of Canine Genetic Diseases."

Of the 308 breeds of dogs listed nearly 200 of them are prone to thyroid issues. Each of the coon hound breeds and the American fox hound are also prone to it.

It is considered a recessive trait, but the mode of inheritance is undetermined. Onset is typically just before 2 years old.

Hypothyroidism is considered a mild genetic disorder due to the fact that it responds well to treatment.

In Newfoundlands the frequency of hypothyroidism is 7/100, and a guesstimate of carrier frequency is 38.4%.

Here is what Dr. Padgett suggests: #1 know your own dogs, #2 prioritize the traits, #3 pick the whole dog first, #4 determine the risks for potential mate, #5 know how to use your information. These are the steps to responsible dog breeding, and controlling canine genetic diseases.

Aim small miss small

Old Post 12-11-2013 03:48 PM
joey
UKC Forum Member

Re: Thyroid issues

quote:
Originally posted by Larry Atherton
O.K. this information is straight from the book written by George A. Padgett, DVM "Control of Canine Genetic Diseases."

Of the 308 breeds of dogs listed nearly 200 of them are prone to thyroid issues. Each of the coon hound breeds and the American fox hound are also prone to it.

It is considered a recessive trait, but the mode of inheritance is undetermined. Onset is typically just before 2 years old.

Hypothyroidism is considered a mild genetic disorder due to the fact that it responds well to treatment.

In Newfoundlands the frequency of hypothyroidism is 7/100, and a guesstimate of carrier frequency is 38.4%.

Here is what Dr. Padgett suggests: #1 know your own dogs, #2 prioritize the traits, #3 pick the whole dog first, #4 determine the risks for potential mate, #5 know how to use your information. These are the steps to responsible dog breeding, and controlling canine genetic diseases.

So the public should be asking before they breed if the stud is on thyroid meds. I know of a few that are on it that are being bred left and right. You have to give them meds every 12 hours for the rest of their life. Thats why my female is being spayed this weekend. She is seventh generation of these females I have owned and I have not had a problem before, but Im sure thats because they were not tested before.

Home Of:

Last edited by joey on 12-11-2013 at 04:07 PM

Old Post 12-11-2013 04:01 PM