UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Big Game Hunting > What makes a bear climb?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Walker9615
UKC Forum Member

What makes a bear climb?

I've always wondered this what exactly makes a bear climb a tree; is it a gritty dog is it the confusion ? I just kinda wanted to see everyone's opinion on this.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-30-2011 07:54 PM
Walker9615 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Walker9615 Click here to Send Walker9615 a Private Message Click Here to Email Walker9615 Find more posts by Walker9615 Add Walker9615 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fred Harroun
UKC Forum Member

plott bear dogs lol

NPHA
APA

Old Post 08-30-2011 09:39 PM
Fred Harroun is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Fred Harroun Click here to Send Fred Harroun a Private Message Click Here to Email Fred Harroun Find more posts by Fred Harroun Add Fred Harroun to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hollaback maine
UKC Forum Member

make'n em' climb

FUR PULLERS!!!!

Old Post 08-31-2011 12:35 AM
hollaback maine is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hollaback maine Click here to Send hollaback maine a Private Message Find more posts by hollaback maine Add hollaback maine to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TBBLUE
UKC Forum Member

Some climb quick to get away from gettin chased n some need the a$$ ate off them n spun in circles til they get confused n then climb, n some just plain won't climb. I've seen it all.

Old Post 08-31-2011 12:37 AM
TBBLUE is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TBBLUE Click here to Send TBBLUE a Private Message Find more posts by TBBLUE Add TBBLUE to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jim Bartley
UKC Forum Member

Having a tree at hand helps...

Old Post 08-31-2011 08:46 AM
Jim Bartley is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jim Bartley Click here to Send Jim Bartley a Private Message Click Here to Email Jim Bartley Find more posts by Jim Bartley Add Jim Bartley to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
marcel b&t
UKC Forum Member

i live by yale Mi, are you around port huron? you run coons at all?

Old Post 08-31-2011 04:28 PM
marcel b&t is offline Click Here to See the Profile for marcel b&t Click here to Send marcel b&t a Private Message Click Here to Email marcel b&t Find more posts by marcel b&t Add marcel b&t to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Outlaw 3
UKC Forum Member

Speed and Grit

Old Post 08-31-2011 06:17 PM
Outlaw 3 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Outlaw 3 Click here to Send Outlaw 3 a Private Message Click Here to Email Outlaw 3 Visit Outlaw 3's homepage! Find more posts by Outlaw 3 Add Outlaw 3 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Walker9615
UKC Forum Member

I guess every bear is different but I think it has to do more with the constant pestering an the confusion that goes along with a pack Workin a bear, an yea a pack that'll keep pushin one pressure even makes humans make dumb decisions.

Old Post 08-31-2011 11:54 PM
Walker9615 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Walker9615 Click here to Send Walker9615 a Private Message Click Here to Email Walker9615 Find more posts by Walker9615 Add Walker9615 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Plott55
Banned

Re: What makes a bear climb?

quote:
Originally posted by Walker9615
I've always wondered this what exactly makes a bear climb a tree; is it a gritty dog is it the confusion ? I just kinda wanted to see everyone's opinion on this.

=========================================

A Bear goes up a tree because it wants to!!! I have said for years and lots of hunters agree; If a bear wants to run, the dogs can run it, if it wants to tree they can tree it, if it wants to fight they can fight it BUT the dogs don't make the bear do anything.

Most people who claim their dogs can whip a bear up a tree are breeders who like to brag on their dogs.

Ray Jones; a plott man of renown said if a man thought his dogs could stop a bear; why didn't they stop it when it jumped out of a tree and ran or stayed bayed awhile and decided to go on .

I feel sure some will disagree with me; but what the heck-- how many on here have been hunting bear since 1939

The Swamp Guide

Old Post 09-01-2011 04:26 AM
Plott55 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Plott55 Click here to Send Plott55 a Private Message Click Here to Email Plott55 Find more posts by Plott55 Add Plott55 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
matt mcdonnell(kc)
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: What makes a bear climb?

quote:
Originally posted by Plott55

A Bear goes up a tree because it wants to!!! I have said for years and lots of hunters agree; If a bear wants to run, the dogs can run it, if it wants to tree they can tree it, if it wants to fight they can fight it BUT the dogs don't make the bear do anything.

Most people who claim their dogs can whip a bear up a tree are breeders who like to brag on their dogs.

Ray Jones; a plott man of renown said if a man thought his dogs could stop a bear; why didn't they stop it when it jumped out of a tree and ran or stayed bayed awhile and decided to go on .

I feel sure some will disagree with me; but what the heck-- how many on here have been hunting bear since 1939

The Swamp Guide

VERY WELL SAID.

585-216-5113

Old Post 09-01-2011 11:48 AM
matt mcdonnell(kc) is offline Click Here to See the Profile for matt mcdonnell(kc) Click here to Send matt mcdonnell(kc) a Private Message Click Here to Email matt mcdonnell(kc) Visit matt mcdonnell(kc)'s homepage! Find more posts by matt mcdonnell(kc) Add matt mcdonnell(kc) to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
WILDHORSE
UKC Forum Member

i pretty much agree with plott 55 but i do know this. if mesquitos are biting me i will swat them and try to get away from them. even a chicken will get out of the rain. so a bear will get away from a good pack of dogs if it can climb a tree or run. with that said i will also say this i have seen bigger bears just walking with dogs all over it. It never did climb or bay. but it was over 400 lbs. just my thoughts

Old Post 09-02-2011 03:20 AM
WILDHORSE is offline Click Here to See the Profile for WILDHORSE Click here to Send WILDHORSE a Private Message Click Here to Email WILDHORSE Find more posts by WILDHORSE Add WILDHORSE to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bluerigdog96
New UKC Forum Member

hounds that wont let up on a bear and will stick with a mean one

Old Post 09-03-2011 01:29 AM
bluerigdog96 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bluerigdog96 Click here to Send bluerigdog96 a Private Message Click Here to Email bluerigdog96 Find more posts by bluerigdog96 Add bluerigdog96 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
plottman3
New UKC Forum Member

Pressure

Its kinda vague but Pressure. Which can be from speed or hair pullin or what ever but when a bear feels pressure and needs to get away a tree comes in handy for him. And I guess I dont disagree that a bear climbs a tree because he wants, I guess nothing can make a bear do anything for that matter but a good pack of hounds can persuade him.

Old Post 09-03-2011 01:50 AM
plottman3 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for plottman3 Click here to Send plottman3 a Private Message Click Here to Email plottman3 Find more posts by plottman3 Add plottman3 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Walker9615
UKC Forum Member

Well why do bears tree faster at nite than during the day?

Old Post 09-04-2011 04:32 AM
WILDHORSE
UKC Forum Member

not sure that they do

im just not sure that they do. had one on ground for over 8 hrs the other night. around 3-20 dogs on him at diffrent times he never did climb at about 6 in the morning got the last dog off him

Old Post 09-05-2011 02:20 PM
WILDHORSE is offline Click Here to See the Profile for WILDHORSE Click here to Send WILDHORSE a Private Message Click Here to Email WILDHORSE Find more posts by WILDHORSE Add WILDHORSE to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RunninBear(Ike)
UKC Forum Member

Bears don't have nearly as good vision that they do the ability to smell, which might be a reason one would climb after dark if it had been bayed in daylight hours, but they are as different as we all are and putting a finger on what they will do is not easy........

Old Post 09-05-2011 03:06 PM
RunninBear(Ike) is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RunninBear(Ike) Click here to Send RunninBear(Ike) a Private Message Click Here to Email RunninBear(Ike) Visit RunninBear(Ike)'s homepage! Find more posts by RunninBear(Ike) Add RunninBear(Ike) to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Walker9615
UKC Forum Member

Treein at nite

Well it's so hot around here u pretty much have to hunt at nite till it cools off, an it's a very noticeable difference how they do. An I agree with Ike I believe it's because of there vision.

Old Post 09-05-2011 05:48 PM
RunninBear(Ike)
UKC Forum Member

Kody (left) and Ryan (Right)...I don't think Junior liked be tied up with his old man!

A buddy and outfitter friend of mine have talked about this subject many times over the past dozen years. He ran ten to twenty dogs years ago and had a hell of a time treeing bears, then watched me tree most everything my three hounds jumped. It was funny and still is, watching him sort that out and finally coming to the idea that ONE single hound often makes the difference. Yes, sure enough he put the blame or success of my early running on that blue Ryan dog of mine.....

Personally I believe he has something there, and that is the fight is often won in the early stages of combat through a mental process: that is either the bear gets his way and sets the tone or the hounds get theirs. Sometimes the fight is won before the two foes get into the ring through what is know as the mental game--either the bear shows his dominance on the first bayup or the dogs show theirs. But if any of you ever figure it out let us all know.

To my knowledge all bears will climb its just a matter of hounds staying with them until they do. Years ago we started nine dogs down a boar track out in the Book Cliffs. The race went off the south side down east of Fatty Canyon and into those southern running canyons that slope into Colorado for ten or more miles. Two of the young dogs quit by dark and the others stayed tough all night and put that big red boar in the tree close to where they left the top around 9:00 AM the following morning, so I blasted into the tree ahead of my hunting buddy and watched that bear leave the tree when i was a hundred yards out. Seven hounds were getting hair and that big boar left east over the ridgetop, then the last two hounds my buddy had quit and trailed out to us........

We picked up my Rowen, Ike and LionHeart dogs late that afternoon and my blue Ryan dog came out down his backtrail at noon on Sunday, fifty-four hours after leaving down that bear track, not a sore foot on him and stepping proud. Like plenty of people say, there are bear dogs and then there are real bear dogs and that Ryan was a level above any hound I ever saw go down a track...........

Last edited by RunninBear(Ike) on 09-06-2011 at 02:48 AM

Old Post 09-06-2011 01:19 AM
RunninBear(Ike) is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RunninBear(Ike) Click here to Send RunninBear(Ike) a Private Message Click Here to Email RunninBear(Ike) Visit RunninBear(Ike)'s homepage! Find more posts by RunninBear(Ike) Add RunninBear(Ike) to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
WILDHORSE
UKC Forum Member

nice

hey ike got any more like that ryan. sounds like a mean go geter

Old Post 09-10-2011 02:06 AM
WvMuleMan
UKC Forum Member

im gonna go out on a limb here but if most of us wouls agree if are wives would take the time to run a bear it would climb or get its butt kicked and wiped with a switch untill it walked back and got up in the truck..........but on a more serious note i like dogs that run silent and blow up when they get right up on him..its either fight .climb or kill my dog's its his choice

Old Post 09-26-2011 12:42 AM
WvMuleMan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for WvMuleMan Click here to Send WvMuleMan a Private Message Click Here to Email WvMuleMan Find more posts by WvMuleMan Add WvMuleMan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Wingpatch
UKC Forum Member

what makes a bear go up a tree

Well if it was 1960 again in the pacific northwest i would tell you it takes dee demoss or ron hill or dave thompson... and if it did stay on the ground kenith prater would of come out in about an hour with it's foot.................

CROOKED RIVER DUDE... 5/14/04--2/20/12.....[ PLOTT ]

GASCONADE RIVER GOOD GOLLY MISS MOLLIE [ TOAD & MOLLY ANN ] ENGLISH

HONEST OPEN MOUTH, STAY PUT TREEDOGS.. THAT CATCH GAME.....

573-765-5461

****I USE AND RECOMMEND LEMS LIGHTS***

Old Post 12-20-2011 01:44 PM
Wingpatch is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Wingpatch Click here to Send Wingpatch a Private Message Click Here to Email Wingpatch Find more posts by Wingpatch Add Wingpatch to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RunninBear(Ike)
UKC Forum Member

Re: nice

quote:
Originally posted by WILDHORSE
hey ike got any more like that ryan. sounds like a mean go geter

I still have his litter mate sister who is fourteen, two male dogs out of him who are seven, a female who is five and she just had seven pups.........so yes, I guess so!

Ru Lui and Kody in the foreground and Maverick in the rear..

Kody and Griz........

Old Post 12-20-2011 07:06 PM
RunninBear(Ike)
UKC Forum Member

http://www.ingramwildlife.com/goldietreed.3GP

That red female on the left is out of the five year old Ray Lee female out of Ryan, and she's another good one.........

Old Post 12-20-2011 07:12 PM
RunninBear(Ike)
UKC Forum Member

some say it takes a hound that will put the teeth to a bear and that is what makes the difference on the ones that don't want to climb.....

Old Post 12-22-2011 01:35 PM
jgagne57
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by RunninBear(Ike)
some say it takes a hound that will put the teeth to a bear and that is what makes the difference on the ones that don't want to climb.....

Ike , I must agree with that statement 100 % ! After 35 years of chasing bears (and still learning) ,I've seen alot of scenarios where bears were up a tree against their will . The last thing you want is a suicidle dog, that will get you in the poor house in no time . But a couple of dogs that will put pressure and bite at every opportunity will make a bear think about going up a tree . And hopefully the dogs will let it go up without pulling it down.
I've seen young dogs walk a bear for an hour and put in 1 dog with grit in the mix and tree that bear inside a minute.
Just putting in my two cents in for reading material .LOL

www.raisinriverredbonekennel.com

Old Post 12-22-2011 08:14 PM
jgagne57 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jgagne57 Click here to Send jgagne57 a Private Message Click Here to Email jgagne57 Find more posts by jgagne57 Add jgagne57 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote