UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Getting a dog to hunt out
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
ctreed71
UKC Forum Member

Getting a dog to hunt out

How do you go about getting a dog to hunt out. I have a young dog that I hunt and when hunted by itself it only hunts out about 100 yds. With another dog it will go as far as you want. By itself as soon as you cast it it puts its nose down and goes to trailing. How can you go about making it range farther.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-09-2016 03:20 PM
ctreed71 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ctreed71 Click here to Send ctreed71 a Private Message Click Here to Email ctreed71 Find more posts by ctreed71 Add ctreed71 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MIKE CARDER
UKC Forum Member

How old

Is this young hound. How many times have you hunted it by himself?

Phone number 270-820-5560

Old Post 12-09-2016 03:53 PM
MIKE CARDER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MIKE CARDER Click here to Send MIKE CARDER a Private Message Click Here to Email MIKE CARDER Find more posts by MIKE CARDER Add MIKE CARDER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ctreed71
UKC Forum Member

Mike she's a two year old but hasn't been messed with 5 or 6 before I got her. I've hunted her around 30 times since. She has laid a few up hunting like this and in no way do I exspect her to be a super dog just looking to put alittle distance on her because my country isn't the kind to ease along with a hound.lol. I've hunted her about half that time with another dog

Old Post 12-09-2016 04:07 PM
ctreed71 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ctreed71 Click here to Send ctreed71 a Private Message Click Here to Email ctreed71 Find more posts by ctreed71 Add ctreed71 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MIKE CARDER
UKC Forum Member

In my own opinion

quote:
Originally posted by ctreed71
Mike she's a two year old but hasn't been messed with 5 or 6 before I got her. I've hunted her around 30 times since. She has laid a few up hunting like this and in no way do I exspect her to be a super dog just looking to put alittle distance on her because my country isn't the kind to ease along with a hound.lol. I've hunted her about half that time with another dog

I would just get a new hound. Or just keep hunting the crap out of her.

Old Post 12-09-2016 05:05 PM
MIKE CARDER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MIKE CARDER Click here to Send MIKE CARDER a Private Message Click Here to Email MIKE CARDER Find more posts by MIKE CARDER Add MIKE CARDER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by ctreed71

Cut her in the wide open. Every drop

Old Post 12-09-2016 07:33 PM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
N Williams
UKC Forum Member

Cut her loose and bump her with e caller. She will either leave the world or come back to you. If she comes back to you scold her and send her on. Keep repeating. If you ruin her then ole well. I've used it many times to get one to recast off trees I like one to recast as hard as they do out of truck. You won't fix it in one night but it might work.

Old Post 12-09-2016 09:59 PM
N Williams is offline Click Here to See the Profile for N Williams Click here to Send N Williams a Private Message Find more posts by N Williams Add N Williams to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mhardy
UKC Forum Member

you can not make a dog hunt ...you can make it uncomfortable to be close to you and it will go on its own.but as someone has already stated,cast it in the open before you get to the woods.and also hunt it in as open woods as you can.as the ole saying goes"rome wasn`t built overnight".just keep hunting it.

'
'

Old Post 12-09-2016 10:24 PM
mhardy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mhardy Click here to Send mhardy a Private Message Click Here to Email mhardy Find more posts by mhardy Add mhardy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ctreed71
UKC Forum Member

Thanks for the replies.

Old Post 12-09-2016 10:32 PM
yadkintar
Banned

Get one out of the right dog you ain't got to do none of that just a little advice a man made dog will get your butt beat in the hunts more often than not !!

Old Post 12-09-2016 10:33 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rocketman55
UKC Forum Member

Ctreed71

30 times out is really NOT that many nights for a dog to learn to hunt. Especially so when 50% of the time you have been training it to not rely on it's self but to follow another dog around.

If you want a dog to hunt by it's self, then that is the way you have to hunt it. There are NO short cuts. If the dog will go FAR in company, it will learn to go pretty far by it's self. It simply takes dedication AND patience.

Yes you can get around messing with a dog like this. There are some dogs that have been bred to get gone, flat out get away from you. Yes they are out there. But remember this, The more NATURAL drive to get gone, you have, the more trash problems you will deal with also. Now a very small number of dogs that have a lot of drive, are not TOO junky, but the majority that have the natural drive to get gone, also have the natural desire to run anything and every thing. So choose wisely when choosing which battle you prefer to take on.

If you truly want to allow the dog to reach it's full hunting potential, then hunt it by it's self for at least 100 nights before you ever put it back in company. It will by then have learned to start depending on it's self to find a coon, and not care as much about what other dogs are doing. GOOD LUCK!!

Glouster, Ohio 45732
Home To:
Gr.Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Hang'em High Holly
Gr.Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Rockets Top Gun.
Gr.Nt.Ch.Hooper Ridge Rocket
Gr.Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Dolly
Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Queen
Nt.Ch Raw Dawg Rowdy
PR Tree Banging Buddy
HOOPER RIDGE ENGLISH-POUND FOR POUND THEY ARE ONE TOUGH HOUND!!!!

Old Post 12-10-2016 12:34 AM
Rocketman55 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rocketman55 Click here to Send Rocketman55 a Private Message Click Here to Email Rocketman55 Find more posts by Rocketman55 Add Rocketman55 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fisher13
UKC Forum Member

Getting a dog to hunt, is just part of the equation.
You said he has sat in a kennel. So even though she is 2 she may as well be 6 months old.

Hunting her with another hound will help, but if you hunt her with another hound all of the time, it will have the opposite effect.
Teach the dog " hunt em up" or "git" will help.
Keep the dog in the woods will help.
The LIGHT touch of a switch will help.
Throwing a dog back in the box after it returns from not hunting will help.
Yelling and screaming and losing your mind typically do not.
Every dog is different, most will learn to hunt. You can use feeders, dropping the dog further and further from the feeder.
Shocking a dog will take the hunt out so fast you wont know what happened.
Higher octane feed will help.
Building the dogs confidence is huge.

A good trainer will get the most from every dog.

also how hard a dog hunts has no inherent effects on its ability to tree coon, my favorite hound will tree coon all night behind other dogs night in and night out.

Old Post 12-11-2016 01:01 AM
Fisher13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Fisher13 Click here to Send Fisher13 a Private Message Find more posts by Fisher13 Add Fisher13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fisher13
UKC Forum Member

Getting a dog to hunt, is just part of the equation.
You said he has sat in a kennel. So even though she is 2 she may as well be 6 months old.

Hunting her with another hound will help, but if you hunt her with another hound all of the time, it will have the opposite effect.
Teach the dog " hunt em up" or "git" will help.
Keep the dog in the woods will help.
The LIGHT touch of a switch will help.
Throwing a dog back in the box after it returns from not hunting will help.
Yelling and screaming and losing your mind typically do not.
Every dog is different, most will learn to hunt. You can use feeders, dropping the dog further and further from the feeder.
Shocking a dog will take the hunt out so fast you wont know what happened.
Higher octane feed will help.
Building the dogs confidence is huge.

A good trainer will get the most from every dog.

also how hard a dog hunts has no inherent effects on its ability to tree coon, my favorite hound will tree coon all night behind other dogs night in and night out.

Old Post 12-11-2016 01:01 AM
Fisher13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Fisher13 Click here to Send Fisher13 a Private Message Find more posts by Fisher13 Add Fisher13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
H.W. Moore
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by N Williams
Cut her loose and bump her with e caller. She will either leave the world or come back to you. If she comes back to you scold her and send her on. Keep repeating. If you ruin her then ole well. I've used it many times to get one to recast off trees I like one to recast as hard as they do out of truck. You won't fix it in one night but it might work.
WOW

Old Post 12-11-2016 03:13 AM
H.W. Moore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for H.W. Moore Click here to Send H.W. Moore a Private Message Click Here to Email H.W. Moore Find more posts by H.W. Moore Add H.W. Moore to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rob thompson
UKC Forum Member

Ya hahaha just shock em that's a good plan!lmao I guess that's one way, but that's not what I'd try!!!! E-collar is good for a lot of things but usually in situations to curb or stop a certain behavior not to get more out of a dog and in this situation it would probably blow her mind. Put her in coon!!! And hunt the fire out of her if she has the drive it will come out.

Old Post 12-11-2016 03:52 AM
rob thompson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rob thompson Click here to Send rob thompson a Private Message Click Here to Email rob thompson Find more posts by rob thompson Add rob thompson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MIKE CARDER
UKC Forum Member

What?

quote:

I have never heard of such a thing. I figure if it ain't hunting or going you need to cut them where they have to go far, hunt the crap out of it, or as previously stated get rid of it and find a new one.
Shock it??? Lol

Old Post 12-11-2016 01:23 PM
N Williams
UKC Forum Member

Re: What?

quote:
Originally posted by MIKE CARDER
I have never heard of such a thing. I figure if it ain't hunting or going you need to cut them where they have to go far, hunt the crap out of it, or as previously stated get rid of it and find a new one.
Shock it??? Lol

I've never used shock therapy to make one hunt out of the truck. I've got one now that would flat cover ground out of the truck but wouldn't hunt good at all off the recast. I cut her off a tree the other night and she was 1/2 mile in there in about 5 minitues. I used e caller to get her to do this. But didn't use it the other night. Took about one month some late nights and big woods. I also used this technique on 2 other hounds and it worked. You just better have more since than the hound. I've never tried it on a heartless hound. I've also used the turning one loose in a field on young hounds.

It's funny some people make fun of advice you give. Even though you have prepared a lot of hounds for big hunts that got there picture taken.

Old Post 12-11-2016 01:49 PM
N Williams is offline Click Here to See the Profile for N Williams Click here to Send N Williams a Private Message Find more posts by N Williams Add N Williams to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by rob thompson
Ya hahaha just shock em that's a good plan!lmao I guess that's one way, but that's not what I'd try!!!! E-collar is good for a lot of things but usually in situations to curb or stop a certain behavior not to get more out of a dog and in this situation it would probably blow her mind. Put her in coon!!! And hunt the fire out of her if she has the drive it will come out.

Do it with retrievers all the time. Using the E collar to push them.

The Dollar dog I had we conditioned to go with the collar as well. Handy tool if the dog is conditioned to it properly

Old Post 12-11-2016 02:25 PM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rob thompson
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: What?

quote:
I've never used shock therapy to make one hunt out of the truck. I've got one now that would flat cover ground out of the truck but wouldn't hunt good at all off the recast. I cut her off a tree the other night and she was 1/2 mile in there in about 5 minitues. I used e caller to get her to do this. But didn't use it the other night. Took about one month some late nights and big woods. I also used this technique on 2 other hounds and it worked. You just better have more since than the hound. I've never tried it on a heartless hound. I've also used the turning one loose in a field on young hounds.

It's funny some people make fun of advice you give. Even though you have prepared a lot of hounds for big hunts that got there picture taken.

well that's what he was talking about hunting out from the truck!just read what he wrote, I don't think it will work in this situation. We all know you have a great dog, you tell us all the time and I'm proud for ya I really am. But read what he said again and see if you'd still use the e-collar the dog probably isn't collar conditioned either.

Last edited by rob thompson on 12-11-2016 at 02:47 PM

Old Post 12-11-2016 02:32 PM
rob thompson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rob thompson Click here to Send rob thompson a Private Message Click Here to Email rob thompson Find more posts by rob thompson Add rob thompson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
N Williams
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: What?

quote:
Originally posted by rob thompson
well that's what he was talking about hunting out from the truck!just read what he wrote, I don't think it will work in this situation. We all know you have a great dog, you tell us all the time and I'm proud for ya I really am. But read what he said again and see if you'd still use the e-collar the dog probably isn't collar conditioned either.

No if I was him I would get another dog. A well known trainer told me he had trained them to hunt big several years ago using a e caller not on the recast but out of truck. Trust me I can make her leave with a e caller. She probably want be hunting the first few nights he does it. He may have to pick her up miles away. But if I had one say that could tree every coin they smelled but was lazy on hunt side. I would try it.

Old Post 12-11-2016 04:26 PM
ctreed71
UKC Forum Member

Thanks for all the replies. Looks of good ideas. Getting another dog is not an option at this time. I like everything about her except the going hunting part. Lol

Old Post 12-11-2016 04:46 PM
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

Any of these ideas may work on some dogs but not for all of them. If you're set on workin the dog thru it Fisher13's advice is the safest route with less chance of any drastic set backs and in the end should work as well as anything else. That's what I'd do personally.

After it came back from not huntin out far enough I might tie it to a tree and continue huntin with another dog. I've had good luck with this. They're gonna put up a fuss but pay no attention to them and ya likely won't have to do it many times and it'll get the picture.

Last edited by Donnie Stevens on 12-11-2016 at 05:47 PM

Old Post 12-11-2016 05:42 PM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Corn liquor y'all shock em to make em go y'all shock em to come back poor dogs don't know if they are sacking groceries or carrying out !! No wonder scores are low in the hunts whole lot easyer to breed for it instead of all that high tech dog training stuff I ain't never had to do all that crap to get one to tree a coon and done my fair share of winning.

Old Post 12-11-2016 06:28 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
N Williams
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
Corn liquor y'all shock em to make em go y'all shock em to come back poor dogs don't know if they are sacking groceries or carrying out !! No wonder scores are low in the hunts whole lot easyer to breed for it instead of all that high tech dog training stuff I ain't never had to do all that crap to get one to tree a coon and done my fair share of winning.

That's not the case at all. All world class hounds are a little man made. All I was using e caller for in recasting cases was so dogs didn't hand around and mill the track of a coon they just treed. Which was what this young dog I've got now was doing. And trust me she's far from world class as of now.lol. I was just giving advice to someone. Some people give advice and it's sounds stupid to me but I don't say anything.

Old Post 12-11-2016 06:47 PM
GA DAWG
UKC Forum Member

You shock mine. He's looking to knock the back outta the dog box. It will make him go alright. 100 Mph back to where I cut him.

Old Post 12-11-2016 06:49 PM
GA DAWG is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GA DAWG Click here to Send GA DAWG a Private Message Click Here to Email GA DAWG Find more posts by GA DAWG Add GA DAWG to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I guess it's the generation gap lol !! I come from a time where all we had far as equipment goes was rubber boots , a leash and a light of some kind and we had big hunting dogs just like now but you just had no way of knowing where they was till they opened not knocking what ever works for you when ever I get one a little short on hunt I just hunt them with dogs that do hunt out we just go hunting without them they either start hunting or well you know what's next lol!!

Old Post 12-11-2016 07:01 PM