UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > where are all the TRACK DOGS????
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Cashie Swamp
UKC Forum Member

where are all the TRACK DOGS????

I wish we could find some coon dogs from the old days that could run a track like you wouldn't believe. Now days all you hear people say is he is an awesome tree dog well he might be but if he ain't tracking nothing ain't nothing going to be in that tree he is blowing the top out of. I have not seen a coon dog in a long time that suits me when it comes to tracks. I've seen dozens of bear dogs that will take a 14-16 hr old track and find him. We need more of that in our hounds today. Instead of all this all grand papers that won't flush down the toilet.

252-325-4949
Earl Hoggard

www.cashieswampkennels.webs.com

Born to serve and protect.

COON HUNTIN Its not a hobby its a way of life

Last edited by Cashie Swamp on 12-08-2016 at 06:11 PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-08-2016 06:09 PM
Cashie Swamp is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cashie Swamp Click here to Send Cashie Swamp a Private Message Click Here to Email Cashie Swamp Visit Cashie Swamp's homepage! Find more posts by Cashie Swamp Add Cashie Swamp to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nitehunter2004
UKC Forum Member

I got a few, Big Money, when I cut him loose he will run over you if your in the way or if a dog stops to pee on a bush he will get ran over, And his pups are the same way!

GrNtCh Big Money
GrNtCh North Mt Mort
T&R’s Homemade Trouble

GrNtChGrCh Homemade Josie.
Homemade Tank.
GrNtCh Hardwood Bean (SEMEN)
GrNtCh Abbotts Bawling Rebel (SEMEN)
GrNtChGrCh Tj's Stylish Lipper (SEMEN)
GrNtCh Nite Life Pay Dirt (SEMEN)
GrNtCh PKC Ch Poison Smoke (SEMEN)

HomeMade Kennels
Newton N.C

2010 SETWA BREEDER OF THE YEAR!!
(828) 302-5480

Old Post 12-08-2016 06:42 PM
nitehunter2004 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nitehunter2004 Click here to Send nitehunter2004 a Private Message Find more posts by nitehunter2004 Add nitehunter2004 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dogwhisper
UKC Forum Member

14-16 hour old track dogs ....... Thank GOD there prehistoric !

Old Post 12-08-2016 07:21 PM
Dogwhisper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dogwhisper Click here to Send Dogwhisper a Private Message Find more posts by Dogwhisper Add Dogwhisper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bill(Chew)
UKC Forum Member

Where we live hot nosed dogs only tree coon when they are on the ground, which means not that often.

Old Post 12-08-2016 07:38 PM
Bill(Chew) is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bill(Chew) Click here to Send Bill(Chew) a Private Message Click Here to Email Bill(Chew) Find more posts by Bill(Chew) Add Bill(Chew) to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rob thompson
UKC Forum Member

How in the world do you know a track is 14 hrs. Old.

Old Post 12-08-2016 08:04 PM
rob thompson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rob thompson Click here to Send rob thompson a Private Message Click Here to Email rob thompson Find more posts by rob thompson Add rob thompson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cry Tough Blues
UKC Forum Member

See it cross, Mark it and come back 14 hrs later

Old Post 12-08-2016 08:28 PM
Cry Tough Blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cry Tough Blues Click here to Send Cry Tough Blues a Private Message Find more posts by Cry Tough Blues Add Cry Tough Blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mark nethery
UKC Forum Member

There out there

I don't know about 12 hr old tracks. But i have a couple one is Brookshire HARD KNOCKIN HAYES bred. And the other one is WALTZ bred. Try a Silverado Dan pup out of a good nosed female. They are trailing cold nosed hounds that trail up coon and tree them and you SEE them . But they are alot of straight line hot nosed pop up dogs. And that what some like . They make you think they are not many coons most nights. But look good when they are moving.

Home off
SUPER STAKES SIRE
UKC DNA Profiled
GrNtCh Vance’s Stylish Cutter (Grch GrNtCh Crows an Grants Cutter x GrNtCh Vance’s Stylish Hope )
At stud.300 negative Brucellosis

Pr Trick Magic Dixie ( GrchGrntch2 Charley Creek Big Mike x Grch GrNtCh Trick Magic Trudy)

PR Git Ryght Ryta. (GrNtCh Kant Git Ryght x GrNtCh Magic Style Dolly )

Pr Stylish Cutter Jr ( GrNtCh Vance’s Stylish Cutter x Pr Trick Magic Dixie sister t Bad Butch )

Semen stored at Peewee valley
Grntch Stylish Hammer is a 2019 UKC preformance sire. DNA profile in UKC and PKC see stud dog page for ad on GrNtch Stylish Hammer 👍🇺🇸

Old Post 12-08-2016 09:05 PM
mark nethery is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mark nethery Click here to Send mark nethery a Private Message Find more posts by mark nethery Add mark nethery to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rob thompson
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Cry Tough Blues
See it cross, Mark it and come back 14 hrs later
i dont buy it you can't honestly tell me that's the same track/animal 14hrs. Later. Here's a shocker, I don't think any of us know how old any givin track is!lmao.

Old Post 12-08-2016 09:41 PM
rob thompson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rob thompson Click here to Send rob thompson a Private Message Click Here to Email rob thompson Find more posts by rob thompson Add rob thompson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Atherton
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by rob thompson
i dont buy it you can't honestly tell me that's the same track/animal 14hrs. Later. Here's a shocker, I don't think any of us know how old any givin track is!lmao.

You can in the snow.

Aim small miss small

Old Post 12-08-2016 09:49 PM
Larry Atherton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Atherton Click here to Send Larry Atherton a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Atherton Visit Larry Atherton's homepage! Find more posts by Larry Atherton Add Larry Atherton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rob thompson
UKC Forum Member

I guess that's what you'd have to do.

Old Post 12-08-2016 09:56 PM
Blackjackplott
UKC Forum Member

You can know how old a track is at least with bear if you see one cross a road an go back later to run it especially if it has markings say scars or any identifying markings an you get it treed or caught seen it done several times , or with the use of trail cameras

Old Post 12-08-2016 10:26 PM
Blackjackplott is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Blackjackplott Click here to Send Blackjackplott a Private Message Click Here to Email Blackjackplott Find more posts by Blackjackplott Add Blackjackplott to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rob thompson
UKC Forum Member

But how do you know he's been goin and not hanging around? And wouldn't a bear leave a heck of a lot more scent. How far can a bear travel in 14 hrs.? I would think several miles easily? I've walked 27 miles in less than 7 hrs. And I was drunk!lol

Old Post 12-09-2016 03:46 AM
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by rob thompson
But how do you know he's been goin and not hanging around? And wouldn't a bear leave a heck of a lot more scent. How far can a bear travel in 14 hrs.? I would think several miles easily? I've walked 27 miles in less than 7 hrs. And I was drunk!lol

Wouldnt it be just as likely the dogs moved in the bears general direction until they hit a place the bear had been a couple hours before it was they were turned loose? So the dogs would be running a two hour track, of a bear they seen 14 hours ago. Hell maybe its yogi and its been camped out on the side of the road eating sack lunches 30 feet from where it crossed the road the day before.

Old Post 12-09-2016 03:58 AM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cripple creek
UKC Forum Member

Buy a Bone Collector pup or dog and your tracking

Problems will be over.

Grand Champion Stevenson's "Johnny Jet,"

Palms 18:39........You armed me with strength for battle; you made my adversaries bow at my feet!
Two questions sum up life....
Why am I here ? And Where am I headed.

Old Post 12-09-2016 03:59 AM
cripple creek is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cripple creek Click here to Send cripple creek a Private Message Click Here to Email cripple creek Find more posts by cripple creek Add cripple creek to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Blackjackplott
UKC Forum Member

Because I've seen dogs open on the track where they cross the road . An the trail cameras have dates an time on them of when they were there . Dogs trail for a mile before they jump the bear . Only one set of tracks in the dirt or snow so you know it keep walking . It may only go a half mile or mile an lay down from the track where you start at that was seen the evening before , so they still have to smell the tracks that was made 12/14 hours earlier.

Old Post 12-09-2016 04:04 AM
Blackjackplott is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Blackjackplott Click here to Send Blackjackplott a Private Message Click Here to Email Blackjackplott Find more posts by Blackjackplott Add Blackjackplott to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Buddy Combs
UKC Forum Member

I used to have an old mixed up dog when his nose hit a coon track it went one of two places....up or down! He didn't have quitting sense and would tree coons behind other hunters that had passed them by. When he treed he would have the coon. The only bad side of it was, if it took him two hours to tree it, then you were two hours catching one coon. Now I'm not saying he couldn't move and drift a track because he could. A hot track he would run to catch. I don't know how long some of those tracks had been gone, but sometimes other dogs couldn't or wouldn't finish with him. I find that more than anything else with hounds today isn't so much the tracking problem, but the treeing problem. Competitive hunting where the fastest dog to the tree has been bred into these hounds until they are tree stupid! Where I live here in WV. the hunting is so tough that if you have a slick treeing dog, one of two things usually happens; new home or a bullet. Just recently I retired my old female. She could make a bad track sound good and you could cock your gun when she treed. She went back on DEANWOOD DRIFTER. She had the track and tree power. I have pups off her and Tim Osborne's HARDWOOD BEAN dog and also from her and Tim's BIG MONEY dog. No dog is perfect. All dogs miss sometimes. I tree coons! I don't put up with a dog going around barking up trees with nothing in them. My dogs don't seem to have any problem getting from the start of a track to the finish. I have found that dogs take the back track more than people realize resulting in the track getting worse and eventually blowing up or dogs treeing on a tree where the coon was feeding or a den tree where it came from. Eight year old female took the back track night before last while my young dogs went the other way. They were confident in taking it the right way and didn't let the old dog pull them. They had the coon when they treed. I don't want a dog that will trail all night in a hollow or cornfield. On the other hand, he better be able to take that track, work it, and get it to the right tree if he eats my feed very long.

Old Post 12-09-2016 04:22 AM
Buddy Combs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Buddy Combs Click here to Send Buddy Combs a Private Message Click Here to Email Buddy Combs Find more posts by Buddy Combs Add Buddy Combs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
coondog charlie
UKC Forum Member

Track Dogs

Don't get the impression that just because a dog can run a track that their going to always be parked under a coon somewhere. Some dogs track to much & don't have the smarts to check a tree to see if a coon is up there or went on. A sorry track dog is no better than a sorry tree dog Probably go hand in hand at finding a tree with a coon in it!! JMO

Old Post 12-09-2016 12:06 PM
coondog charlie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for coondog charlie Click here to Send coondog charlie a Private Message Find more posts by coondog charlie Add coondog charlie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

A lot of dogs now are really good at hot tracks usually the one the dog in front of them are leaving. The cold tracks ( it's the ghost coon grandpa ) lol.

Old Post 12-09-2016 12:10 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jet delong
UKC Forum Member

this is why you hear about dogs being lonely and deep. They run as hard as they can until the come across a red hot pop up coon, Most can't work an older track.

Old Post 12-09-2016 12:19 PM
jet delong is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jet delong Find more posts by jet delong Add jet delong to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

I'm not so sure I want a cold nose dog, medium sounds better to me. Never compare what a hound can do on a bear to what they can run on a coon. Bear stink and leave a 1000% more sent. It’s like comparing a dog running a coon to one running a rabbit. They normally can’t run a rabbit that is 30min old.

Also don’t make the mistake of thinking because a dog can open on an old track and move it around that it is a track dog. Being a track dog simply means they can move the track they are running and do it right. If its hot or cold doesn’t make it more or less of a track dog. It just makes it cold or hot nosed. Running it fast and in the right direction takes brains and drive. That’s what most of them are missing.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 12-09-2016 02:22 PM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cashie Swamp
UKC Forum Member

we have game camera's on our bait barrels that's how we know how old the tracks are.

252-325-4949
Earl Hoggard

Old Post 12-09-2016 02:39 PM
Cashie Swamp is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cashie Swamp Click here to Send Cashie Swamp a Private Message Click Here to Email Cashie Swamp Visit Cashie Swamp's homepage! Find more posts by Cashie Swamp Add Cashie Swamp to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
firebird
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Larry Atherton
You can in the snow.

Ive done it with foxhounds. Seen a yote track at 7am (no idea when it crossed) and got back to it at 3pm. And my old dog went ten feet on it then opened up. Thats 8 hours since I was there and who knows what time it actually crossed the road. It could have crossed 3 min before I came along or 3 hours before. So I believe it done with bears or lions or whatever no problem.

Old Post 12-09-2016 02:41 PM
firebird is offline Click Here to See the Profile for firebird Click here to Send firebird a Private Message Find more posts by firebird Add firebird to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wjoey
Banned

I have a female out of insane cain and malden branch sally that can flat show you how to run and tree with the meat a cold track, I also have a male out of big d and saige that can do it too, so there not a thing of the past. The main thing is that they run the track in the correct direction and they don't stand on there head doing it,I really don't even hunt till its turned cold and all the easy coons have been treed that way I can show these boys what a real coon dog is after they go for a week and say there are no coons at such and such I will go show them. I also love to pull up to a spot where a group is leaving and cut loose usually they hang around till I'm treed then they leave .

UKC PREFORMANCE SIRE Nt ch pkc ch BAM BAM The only one out of WORLD CH BIG D X GRNT SKIPPERS UMFORGIVEN SAIGE she has 21 pups 4nt ch 5 grnt ch thats 42.85%
He is a coon dog!
Nt ch ch Insane Minnie MouseInsane cain x Malden Branch Mouse

HOME OF 2 TIME AQHA HORSE OF THE YEAR
World champion working cow horse snaffle bit
SMART LITTLE LEGEND
ETCHA CHAMPION
HCHA CHAMPION
Top 16 NCHA WORLD Champion
Home of GHSRA All Around Cowboy Champion Chris wilbanks

Jerico Rebel our Movie star horse hes been in three films now 35 years old
Just passed away February 4th 2016

MY OLD DOGS GONE BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN
The one I will allways miss now deceased 01/09/2013
GR CH GRAND NT CH Handosme Trudy
SIRE PKC WLD CH GR NT WHATS UP DOC
DAM GR NT HUTCHINS SUGAR

GRCH GR NT CH COBBLER CREEK WENDY
GR NT STYLISH TUFF - WENDY X STYLISH LIPPER
GR NT STYLISH TACK - WENDY X STYLISH LIPPER

NT CH SOUTHERN STYLE - JP'S HIGH STYLE X HOUSES LADY

Last edited by wjoey on 12-09-2016 at 02:51 PM

Old Post 12-09-2016 02:49 PM
wjoey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wjoey Click here to Send wjoey a Private Message Find more posts by wjoey Add wjoey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cashie Swamp
UKC Forum Member

Just making conversation not bashing

I miss going to my grand dads pens and pulling Ole Sissy and Jake out and knowing without a doubt we would get a coon that night no questions asked yes some nights it felt like it took them forever to get it done but when they opened I knew they were going to finish it. I have made fertilizer out of a lot of dogs that are mentioned on the post here. One in particular was out of a well known stud he was 2 years old bought him as a pup and I walked to 17 slick trees with him in a row before I ended the headache. I keep a note book in my truck on each one of my hounds how many coons they tree, how many slicks and off game. I don't say it looks like it could be there its there or its not. I have a female now that has done a lot of winning but she couldn't run a cold track if her life depended on it. Maybe I'm just expecting to much out of my hounds, maybe I just need to accept this is the way it is now day but I've had dogs to do it they are just few and far between. I don't buy other peoples junk either every dog I have in my pen I have trained with the help of a few fellow hunters. It don't eat long here if it don't get it together. Might need to shorten my measuring stick lol.

252-325-4949
Earl Hoggard

Old Post 12-09-2016 03:16 PM
chip johnson
UKC Forum Member

track dogs.lol My dog is very accurate and keeps the track moving in one direction. Has caught coon on the ground and he leaves a trail of dead possums that don't make it to the tree and that deer wasn't even fast enough for him last night. That is what you call "RUN TO CATCH"

Old Post 12-09-2016 04:05 PM
chip johnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chip johnson Click here to Send chip johnson a Private Message Click Here to Email chip johnson Find more posts by chip johnson Add chip johnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote