UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > where are all the TRACK DOGS????
Pages (4): « First ... « 2 3 [4]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Cashie Swamp
UKC Forum Member

Do you think we measure dogs differently now because of the way of life around us? Example back in the day my granddad got $30-$40 a piece for coon hides and another $3-$5 for the meat now this was back in the early 80's. He made that a way of life for him in the winter time. That's what he bought all his dogs with. He made coon hunting a part of his living and he didn't put up with a dog that couldn't do it. He just put it down and went on his way. I'm just wondering is that what made them dogs? Today we can't get anything for the hides and can barely give the meat away and everyone is chasing that title to but on that dog or who's papers and better than who's. Remember I'm not arguing just make conversations. I firmly believe if I have a nice dog I'm going to take her to town and put a title on her but my main focus is on her hunting ability because I'm a pleasure hunter 99.99999% of the time. I go to the hunts to hang out with the guys and talk hunting.

252-325-4949
Earl Hoggard

www.cashieswampkennels.webs.com

Born to serve and protect.

COON HUNTIN Its not a hobby its a way of life

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-19-2016 05:28 PM
Cashie Swamp is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cashie Swamp Click here to Send Cashie Swamp a Private Message Click Here to Email Cashie Swamp Visit Cashie Swamp's homepage! Find more posts by Cashie Swamp Add Cashie Swamp to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

I think peoples measuring stick or as I call it standards have changed. You could't hunt a meat dog that didn't tree coon. You can hunt a comp dog that is that way if they do the other things right and escape minus by getting circle. That is what we have a lot of today. Some hounds that do a lot of things right, stay out of trouble, handle well. Just don't have close to enough coon. With that said, those aren't the ones really exposed. It's their brothers and sisters, aunts and uncles that don't hunt good, mean and crazy that draws attention to the fact they don't tree enough coon also. Coon hunters forgive a lot of faults and in the old day it only took one for a dog to be in trouble. Today we are a kinder, gentler more patient style of people and the faults have to pile up before we do what is right. Like you have just walked to the 4 slick trees that night but get made at the dog for not wanting to load and handle correctly. Tell your buddies you got rid of him because he didn't handle well. We have to have an accumulative dislike for a dog to take action. Slick treeing by itself is enough for me.
Now I know all this by experience and what I have learned to accept from that experience. I have had and will have all the crazy, stupid, mean, dumb, slick treeing dogs I talk about. That is part of the game no matter how hard you try. Thing is what you see me doing with them will be different than what the next guy does.

Old Post 12-19-2016 05:57 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cashie Swamp
UKC Forum Member

Bruce thanks for you input hope the hunting is good for you bud. Thanks for all the input you give on the form to help people out it goes farther than you think it does to a lot of us. I'm just and old style coon hunter that likes to go out in the woods night after night to try and better my hounds. I might go out on the town with my old pot lickers every now and then but its mostly just to hunt different ground and enjoy the company of the fellow hunters. Thanks again for your input and hope you and your family have a Merry Christmas.

252-325-4949
Earl Hoggard

www.cashieswampkennels.webs.com

Born to serve and protect.

COON HUNTIN Its not a hobby its a way of life

Old Post 12-20-2016 12:24 PM
Cashie Swamp is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cashie Swamp Click here to Send Cashie Swamp a Private Message Click Here to Email Cashie Swamp Visit Cashie Swamp's homepage! Find more posts by Cashie Swamp Add Cashie Swamp to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote