UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > When is a Hound not a pup no more??
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Kythunder
UKC Forum Member

When is a Hound not a pup no more??

First and foremost....im new to the coonhound family. My hound has treed several coon and a few possums for me. I was proud if him. Did as I have read.....walked with him....he would hit something.....take off how ever far it took and treed.....85% of the time....it was a coon in a tree.....took him to central ky to hunt with some guys I respect.....instead of walking....they got out of truck....pointed their hounds....and unleashed.....so I did my hound too....theirs went hunting in a hurry.....mine came back....acted like he was scared.

Youngest they had was 22mnths old....mine is q4 mnths old.....

I love this hound.....as I said I'm new to coonhounds.....i can always tell when something is going to happen....head goes wayyy up in the air and he stands on both back leggs then gone....

What do I need to do to make him go without me now?

Form what ive been told....he has good blood in him....wilcox on top and bottom....tae bow....got him from leroy penny...rip

Last edited by Kythunder on 09-20-2020 at 03:54 AM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 09-20-2020 03:50 AM
Kythunder is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kythunder Click here to Send Kythunder a Private Message Click Here to Email Kythunder Find more posts by Kythunder Add Kythunder to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Andy212
UKC Forum Member

Just time really is what you need. I had a start similar to yours. I had no idea what I was honestly doing but the pup I had was a natural. It wasnt long from treeing drags to treeing his first coon by himself. With walk hunting the dog as well as you gets used to just you two. If you want him to take off like the other hounds I’d suggest find a friend and hound you trust that takes off and continue to hunt with them on a regular basis. It shouldn’t take long for things to click.

Old Post 09-20-2020 04:00 AM
Andy212 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Andy212 Click here to Send Andy212 a Private Message Click Here to Email Andy212 Find more posts by Andy212 Add Andy212 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Andy212
UKC Forum Member

Just time really is what you need. I had a start similar to yours. I had no idea what I was honestly doing but the pup I had was a natural. It was long from treeing drags to treeing his first coon by himself. With walk hunting the dog as well as you gets used to just you two. If you want him to take off like the other hounds I’d suggest find a friend and hound you trust that takes off and continue to hunt with them on a regular basis. It shouldn’t take long for things to click.

Old Post 09-20-2020 04:00 AM
Andy212 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Andy212 Click here to Send Andy212 a Private Message Click Here to Email Andy212 Find more posts by Andy212 Add Andy212 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote