UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Ever Watched a Dog get hit?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Blue Hawk
UKC Forum Member

Ever Watched a Dog get hit?

I was on my home from a funeral with my mom and we saw a walker in the road so i made her turn around and pull over, I got out and walked around a min. to find him/her then my mom put hi-beams on and it was walking toward me on the road...i crossed the road and when the dog got close to me it cut into the other lane a SUV hit it didn't touch the breaks at all and just kept going...the dog wined and cried and ran away after it was hit and dragged 20 or so foot..What heartless person can hit a dog not break at all and keep going? some people these days...

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-07-2011 01:35 AM
Blue Hawk is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Blue Hawk Click here to Send Blue Hawk a Private Message Click Here to Email Blue Hawk Find more posts by Blue Hawk Add Blue Hawk to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
coonsmen
UKC Forum Member

I hit a dog a couple times on accident

Old Post 12-07-2011 01:38 AM
coonsmen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for coonsmen Click here to Send coonsmen a Private Message Click Here to Email coonsmen Find more posts by coonsmen Add coonsmen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Blue Hawk
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by coonsmen
I hit a dog a couple times on accident

i mean ive been in cases were you cant help but to hit a animal and your not suppose to cut into or out of your lane to avoid it but at least break or try to see if its okay...

Old Post 12-07-2011 01:40 AM
Blue Hawk is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Blue Hawk Click here to Send Blue Hawk a Private Message Click Here to Email Blue Hawk Find more posts by Blue Hawk Add Blue Hawk to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ahinsch
UKC Forum Member

When I was about 11 or so I had a mutt dog that was super smart, still not sure what breed he was but still the smartest dog i've ever had. I was walking down the road after school to pick up my little sister from the babysitters next door. I didn't know the dog was following me until he went into the road in front of me. There was a small car that was coming and I was screaming at him and he was looking at me and never saw the car. Well that car hit him and he flew up and over their hood, they never hit their brakes. Another car a little ways behind ran completely over him and kept going. Both cars had to have seen the young kid screaming and crying alongside the road but neither stopped or turned around. Fortunately there was an amish guy doing some carpentry work across the road and he came over and helped me get him off the road. Still gets me choked up when I think about it.

Old Post 12-07-2011 03:37 AM
ahinsch is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ahinsch Click here to Send ahinsch a Private Message Click Here to Email ahinsch Find more posts by ahinsch Add ahinsch to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Glenn Wells
UKC Forum Member

Yep, I have seen it, and even seen folks run off the road to do it, rather hard to keep gun in holster. It's even harder when it is your son you see rolling into a heap on the side of the road, and not know if he is going to be alive or not when you get to him. I went through that one a few years back, miracles do happen, as it did that Christmas Eve. It almost seems that folks seem to think they are in a video game, except there are no extra lives. Today it still rattles me to hear tires screeching, but atleast the dreams finally stopped waking me up !

Old Post 12-07-2011 04:51 AM
Glenn Wells is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Glenn Wells Click here to Send Glenn Wells a Private Message Click Here to Email Glenn Wells Find more posts by Glenn Wells Add Glenn Wells to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
l.lyle
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Glenn Wells
Yep, I have seen it, and even seen folks run off the road to do it, rather hard to keep gun in holster. It's even harder when it is your son you see rolling into a heap on the side of the road, and not know if he is going to be alive or not when you get to him. I went through that one a few years back, miracles do happen, as it did that Christmas Eve. It almost seems that folks seem to think they are in a video game, except there are no extra lives. Today it still rattles me to hear tires screeching, but atleast the dreams finally stopped waking me up !

Happened to me three times. The first time I was 8 and I saddled up an old 36 year old mare we had after school and took her for a ride. It was just before I-95 opened and 17 A was busier than a hornets nest. I went across the road to visit my cousins and the horse ran off with me . She jumped the ditch and landed in the pavement hauling ass. I looked up and saw a chrome bulldog on a Mack truck hood I could have reached over and petted. Somehow we got by but my Lassie collie got smacked. I got the dam horse pulled up intime to see Lassie's heart ( looked like a can of dog food with a cone on the end rolling across the highway. Tore me up. I didn't even think about me or the dam horse. The truck driver pulled over and he was real sorry. I think we cried together.

The second was when I bought a piece of crap Bluetick that was suposed to be something else from a HS graduate that got called to Viet Nam. I bought it for 40$ of saved up money from cutting grass with a push lawn mower for a dollar an acre. It got smacked when it jumped in the road headed home at night when we were hunting. I had to borrow ten from dad and push that thing over another ten acres to pay him back. That one never bothered me at all except for pushing that dam lawnmowere but I chalked that one up to my idiocy. Anyway , his daddy was a dog trader so I should have known better from the get go. The third one was off a busy road, the dogs were trailing and get to running and i get to the road and this dog was coming full tilt. There was a car coning for six miles I could see it. It got a half mile off and I waved my light. it got 1/4 mile off and I waved more vigourouse. The dog hit the right of way and the car kept coming at a regualr 55 mph . Well there are some people that got them a drivers license that learned something about this is your lane and she was one of them kind to Never deviate from what the license book says. But this time I had a dog that was trained to come, more or less if he felt good about it but he was trained to drag his ass on the ground no questions asked if I yelled SIT. So I yelled Sit and saved his life while that schoolteacher was scared I recon that it was a stagecoach robbery in fact fixing to take place because that moron was certainly not going to deviate from her Double nickels or make way. Sho is glad i ai'nt one of the bicycle riders in stretchie suits. LOL your kindred think alikes could be your biggest danger. LOL LMAO.

Old Post 12-07-2011 09:16 AM
l.lyle is offline Click Here to See the Profile for l.lyle Click here to Send l.lyle a Private Message Click Here to Email l.lyle Find more posts by l.lyle Add l.lyle to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
l.lyle
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by l.lyle
Happened to me three times. The first time I was 8 and I saddled up an old 36 year old mare we had after school and took her for a ride. It was just before I-95 opened and 17 A was busier than a hornets nest. I went across the road to visit my cousins and the horse ran off with me . She jumped the ditch and landed in the pavement hauling ass. I looked up and saw a chrome bulldog on a Mack truck hood I could have reached over and petted. Somehow we got by but my Lassie collie got smacked. I got the dam horse pulled up intime to see Lassie's heart ( looked like a can of dog food with a cone on the end rolling across the highway. Tore me up. I didn't even think about me or the dam horse. The truck driver pulled over and he was real sorry. I think we cried together.

The second was when I bought a piece of crap Bluetick that was suposed to be something else from a HS graduate that got called to Viet Nam. I bought it for 40$ of saved up money from cutting grass with a push lawn mower for a dollar an acre. It got smacked when it jumped in the road headed home at night when we were hunting. I had to borrow ten from dad and push that thing over another ten acres to pay him back. That one never bothered me at all except for pushing that dam lawnmowere but I chalked that one up to my idiocy. Anyway , his daddy was a dog trader so I should have known better from the get go. The third one was off a busy road, the dogs were trailing and get to running and i get to the road and this dog was coming full tilt. There was a car coning for six miles I could see it. It got a half mile off and I waved my light. it got 1/4 mile off and I waved more vigourouse. The dog hit the right of way and the car kept coming at a regualr 55 mph . Well there are some people that got them a drivers license that learned something about this is your lane and she was one of them kind to Never deviate from what the license book says. But this time I had a dog that was trained to come, more or less if he felt good about it but he was trained to drag his ass on the ground no questions asked if I yelled SIT. So I yelled Sit and saved his life while that schoolteacher was scared I recon that it was a stagecoach robbery in fact fixing to take place because that moron was certainly not going to deviate from her Double nickels or make way. Sho is glad i ai'nt one of the bicycle riders in stretchie suits. LOL your kindred think alikes could be your biggest danger. LOL LMAO.

Mr. Wells I am certainly sorry that did happen to your son. And gladyou are over it as well . Last week on the way home from a good hunt therewas a car stopped in the middle of the road and a woman jumped out waving franticaly . Of course I stopped and she jumped in. My regular 22 was laying in the seat but I never gave it much of a thought about being scared. I picked her up and the car followed I turned down a dirt road and the car chicken shitted out. So it goes I recon. I took the thing home and I am afraid she was on Shrooms or Crack but none the less she got home safe. Looking back they might have had a machine gun but they better had a had a good eye or go without an I cause that is where I aim. And also that school teacher , if she would have been taught about coondogs on a lonely strip of road , would not have had to a stopped just slowed down not to kill my dog. Times are strange and freaks are getting freakier every year seems like.

Old Post 12-07-2011 09:38 AM
l.lyle is offline Click Here to See the Profile for l.lyle Click here to Send l.lyle a Private Message Click Here to Email l.lyle Find more posts by l.lyle Add l.lyle to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
capt_agricultur
UKC Forum Member

dog

A truck hit & killed old Blue kept going ,,,a very nice city type lady stoped checked name plate called my wife who called me thanks to cell phones...... we got in the truck went down on th hard top....the tracking colar got louder there she lay along the road brought her home & buried her...

Old Post 12-07-2011 12:33 PM
capt_agricultur is offline Click Here to See the Profile for capt_agricultur Click here to Send capt_agricultur a Private Message Click Here to Email capt_agricultur Find more posts by capt_agricultur Add capt_agricultur to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
T. Rich
UKC Forum Member

i havent seen one hit by a car, but i did see one fall out of a tree fifty feet or more up and die right in front of me and two other people and there was nothing we could do about it. one of the guys with me climbed up the tree and rescued his dog after that happened, couldn't believe it. luckily my dog was just a pup and wasn't very interested in treeing yet.

Old Post 12-07-2011 06:41 PM
T. Rich is offline Click Here to See the Profile for T. Rich Click here to Send T. Rich a Private Message Find more posts by T. Rich Add T. Rich to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Autumn Clements
UKC Forum Member

The other week I had someone just about run over my dog while I had it on the leash, we were standing on a narrow shoulder with our lights all on not another comin in a straight strech car never pulled over a inch to allow more room if the dog had taken one step he'd have been hit by the car.

'PR'LEAD'S MIDNITE SASSY
CFC CH Canadian GCH Multi Group Placing MBPIG BBPIG LEGACYK STANNYFIELD PRIME TIME (AKC & UKC Pointed)
BPIG MBBPIG WINDAMIRS RED LIGHT DISTRICT V AMBERLANE
LEGACYK DARE TO DREAM V CBLUES
LEGACYK WHITE AS A GHOST V CBLUES

Gone but not forgotten
GRNITECH GRCH PKC CH'PR'CLEMENTS' BLUE PRANCER

GRNITECH GRCH'PR'SPIKE'S TWILITE HOOKER
'PR'PRANCER'S GETTIN DOWN N DIRTY (PrancerxHooker)
NITECH CH’PR’BUELL’S BLUE ROCKY(Whitey x Spice)

CKC BBPIG MARIES BABY BREEZE

Old Post 12-08-2011 02:30 AM
Autumn Clements is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Autumn Clements Click here to Send Autumn Clements a Private Message Click Here to Email Autumn Clements Find more posts by Autumn Clements Add Autumn Clements to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bill(Chew)
UKC Forum Member

I've watched two of mine get hit and killed, had others killed out of my sight. It's not fun to see.

My brother was leading a birddog on a lease on the left side of the road, a car from behind crossed over to the left hand side of the road and hit the dog. Some people have no sense.

Old Post 12-08-2011 03:15 AM
Bill(Chew) is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bill(Chew) Click here to Send Bill(Chew) a Private Message Click Here to Email Bill(Chew) Find more posts by Bill(Chew) Add Bill(Chew) to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Adam Hibbs
UKC Forum Member

I have always wanted to coon hunt since I was kid but never knew how, how to get started and not the slightest clue on training a hound. Once I got older I met a great guy that was a 2nd generation cooner, luckily he let me tag along and taught me everything I know. He hunted the line of dogs his dad bred and I loved them dogs. The dog he hunted was the best dog or my favorite I have ever hunted with. I traded a shotgun for a 3 yr old out of his male, while hunting one nite we lost both dogs. I spent all wknd looking for them both. Sunday afternoon a CSX railroad worker called to let me know my dog had been hit. He was almost 4 miles from where we turned them loose. Luckily we found his dog late Sunday night. The next day I went back with a wheel barrow and wheeled him 3/4 of a mile back to the truck and took him home to bury him. Just didn't feel right leaving him for the critters to eat. About a year ago we was huntin his male and he went way through the country to get hit on an expressway. I knew he was gettin close so ran into him just to hear him get hit from about 200 yds away. I will never forget that sound.

Old Post 12-08-2011 03:32 AM
Adam Hibbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Adam Hibbs Click here to Send Adam Hibbs a Private Message Click Here to Email Adam Hibbs Find more posts by Adam Hibbs Add Adam Hibbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nccoonhunter197
UKC Forum Member

I have had a few get hit. I have figured out if you have your light on and wave it, people seem to speed up. I guess they think it is a bandit trying to get them to pull over so they can kill them and chop them up in little tiny chunks. I tried to wave off a car one night and the idiot hit my dog as she was crossing the road to come to me. This was a little backroad and the person driving was running all of 70 mph. From then on if I am walking beside the road to go back to the truck or standing there waiting on the dogs, if a car comes down the road it gets bright lighted from my light. They tend to slow down when they can't see. I may take a cussing for it but as long as I don't get hit or any of my dogs that is ok.

Brian Teague 252-649-3050

Old Post 12-08-2011 09:37 AM
nccoonhunter197 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nccoonhunter197 Click here to Send nccoonhunter197 a Private Message Click Here to Email nccoonhunter197 Find more posts by nccoonhunter197 Add nccoonhunter197 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Autumn Clements
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by vincentk
Drunks are attracted to bright lights late at night. I think they think its another bar lol. I learned it the hard way on a horse once. I get as far off the road as soon as I can nowadays.

I usually do too but shoulder was narrow and ditch was deep

'PR'LEAD'S MIDNITE SASSY
CFC CH Canadian GCH Multi Group Placing MBPIG BBPIG LEGACYK STANNYFIELD PRIME TIME (AKC & UKC Pointed)
BPIG MBBPIG WINDAMIRS RED LIGHT DISTRICT V AMBERLANE
LEGACYK DARE TO DREAM V CBLUES
LEGACYK WHITE AS A GHOST V CBLUES

Gone but not forgotten
GRNITECH GRCH PKC CH'PR'CLEMENTS' BLUE PRANCER

GRNITECH GRCH'PR'SPIKE'S TWILITE HOOKER
'PR'PRANCER'S GETTIN DOWN N DIRTY (PrancerxHooker)
NITECH CH’PR’BUELL’S BLUE ROCKY(Whitey x Spice)

CKC BBPIG MARIES BABY BREEZE

Old Post 12-08-2011 11:48 AM
Autumn Clements is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Autumn Clements Click here to Send Autumn Clements a Private Message Click Here to Email Autumn Clements Find more posts by Autumn Clements Add Autumn Clements to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
morewastedwages
UKC Forum Member

Had it happen right in front of me twice,not something I want to see ever again

Old Post 12-08-2011 04:21 PM
morewastedwages is offline Click Here to See the Profile for morewastedwages Click here to Send morewastedwages a Private Message Click Here to Email morewastedwages Find more posts by morewastedwages Add morewastedwages to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
willseeyalater
UKC Forum Member

If you care about your dogs it ranks right up there with losing a good friend but to see it get hit.....well, there's a lot of hard things in life to have to deal with and if that is your worst you can count your blessings. Whatever you do in such times seek the Lord, talk to good folks who will listen to you and stay away from the bottle or other ways to numb yourself to the shock.

Old Post 12-08-2011 04:27 PM
willseeyalater is offline Click Here to See the Profile for willseeyalater Click here to Send willseeyalater a Private Message Find more posts by willseeyalater Add willseeyalater to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reece Samuelson
UKC Forum Member

Me and a buddy where hunting last fall and we heard the dog(young dog with great future ahead of him) get hit the the sounds of the brakes squelling cause the person stopped and when he got there the dog was dead but the guy felt so bad he asked what he paid for the dog and the guy wrote him out a check ....and the check was good .........and there was another time when a car hit a older dog i had and never hit the brakes

Old Post 12-09-2011 10:59 PM
Reece Samuelson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reece Samuelson Click here to Send Reece Samuelson a Private Message Click Here to Email Reece Samuelson Find more posts by Reece Samuelson Add Reece Samuelson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TQS_Kennel
UKC Forum Member

I had an old dog come out to the road once, I parked my full sized truck in my lane on a small two lane road( with the flashers on). Turned my light on bright and the dog went to the back of my truck and was waiting on me. Just as I was reaching to get him a white ford truck with a red strip ran over this 70 lbs of hound and killed him. It was so close I don't know how the driver could tell if he me or the dog both. They never once hit the brakes.
Bill

[color=#FF0000][b]
{R.I.P} GRCH GRNITECH 'PR' Bolden's High Dollar Sackett II ~ Performance Sire 2010

We also raise Miniature Schnauzer Puppies: www.TrammellsQualitySchnauzers.com

Old Post 12-09-2011 11:51 PM
TQS_Kennel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TQS_Kennel Click here to Send TQS_Kennel a Private Message Click Here to Email TQS_Kennel Visit TQS_Kennel's homepage! Find more posts by TQS_Kennel Add TQS_Kennel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote