UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Track dogs ?
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
CLJohnson
UKC Forum Member

IMO, it partially has to do with training, I think a lot I young dogs with ability (because it is necessary to first have some ability) get shocked off hard tracks so much at a young age because their handler thinks they are taking too long and never fully learn to use their nose, it's not that teir hot nosed, they just get taught not to mess with something that isn't hot. Just my 2 cents.

Middle Creek Kennels:

Home of:

-GRNITECH Ball's Stylish Hickory Nut Harry
GRCH GRNITECH PR' Crow and Grant's Cutter
-GRCH GRNITECH PR' Night Heat Abby

NITECH PR' Middle Creek's Stylish Kate (1st place 2011 UKC Youth National open hunt and overall high scoring treeing walker female. 1st Place Plott Sectional and overall high scoring dog. Qualified for the 2012 UKC World Championship. Qualified for the 2012 Youth Nationals.)

-NITECH PR' MC Queen & Fergys Wipeout Zack
'PR' Wipeout Pebbles
-NTECH PR' Packrat

-GRNITECH ‘PR’ Hard Knockin Stylish Hayes
GRNITECH ‘PR’ Ball’s Stylish Hickory Nut Harry
-GRNITECH ‘PR’ Schmersal’s Stylish Anna

NITECH ‘PR’ Middle Creek’s Stylish Banjo

-GRNITECH ‘PR’ Turpin’s Insane Cain
NITECH ‘PR’ Johnson’s Extreme Jane
-GRNITECH ‘PR’ Treesinging Rambling Roxy

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-20-2013 07:39 AM
CLJohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CLJohnson Click here to Send CLJohnson a Private Message Find more posts by CLJohnson Add CLJohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ray&Luie
UKC Forum Member

Track Dogs

quote:
Originally posted by Oak Ridge
The truth of the matter is that most coon hunters today have never hunted with a TRUE track dog. Until you have seen a dog run a 24 hour old cat track in two feet of snow, or seen a dog grub out a two day old track in the desert, and work that track until they are running it to catch....

I have only had one true phenominal track dog in my 40 years of hunting....and once you see one, it certainly changes your perception of a track dog

To put it into perspective for coon hunting, this is the dog that snatches tracks away from the ground pounders and runs them like they were painted on the ground....and not many dogs can do that.

Amen !

Ray Hudson

Old Post 08-20-2013 03:34 PM
Ray&Luie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ray&Luie Click here to Send Ray&Luie a Private Message Find more posts by Ray&Luie Add Ray&Luie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Oak Ridge
UKC Forum Member

I am not saying that anyone who has responded is like this, but the majority of folks that are talking about "track dogs" are talking about what I call ground pounders....those dogs that open freely on the ground, but make little to no forward progress...or they bark here, bark there, open somewhere else and really are not "connecting the dots"....those are NOT track dogs....

And in reality there was someone promoting a certain line. I've hunted with several of those dogs...and the one that really did most of the winning, I judged in a world hunt. He scored high, but didn't run a coon track all night....ran junk and fell off on a coon to get treed....went back out and ran a coyote the whole next two hours and did not advance any further, not what we are talking about here. If you like that kind of dog...that is fine with me...but that is not a track dog.

Truly when you have seen a "heads up" moving a track forward kind of dog you will understand. I had one, one year at Autumn Oaks is was incredibly dry....Lots and lots of dogs were struggling to even move a track. We were pleasure hunting and there were three big named stud dogs pecking on a track in a bean field....I sat and listened to them for about a half hour....I went to my truck, put a tracking collar on my old Spring Creek Rock bred male and turned him loose in the bean field. He went over to where the other dogs were pecking around, opened quickly and was treed with a coon in less than three minutes. He ran that track across the bean field only opening about 10 times and never twice in the same spot.....I am telling you he RAN that track...not straddled it RAN it.. the other dogs simply could not smell what he was smelling....no junk, no pottering, just pure track power

Old Post 08-21-2013 01:11 AM
Oak Ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Oak Ridge Click here to Send Oak Ridge a Private Message Click Here to Email Oak Ridge Find more posts by Oak Ridge Add Oak Ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cornboy
UKC Forum Member

Oak ridge we have the same idea of what a track dog is. Good track dogs today seem to be a rare thing even the old slow trailing dogs that would have a coon are hard to find

Old Post 08-21-2013 03:21 AM
cornboy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cornboy Click here to Send cornboy a Private Message Click Here to Email cornboy Find more posts by cornboy Add cornboy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Brierly2011
UKC Forum Member

Best track dog I ever seen was a dog out of windy hills trinity. Not only he was a track dog but was consistent and had a coon. I've been on the look out for one like him the last 15 years. might never find one that I can afford to buy but will keep looking and keep messing with pups till I do.

GRNTCH PKC SILVER CH SKUNA RIVER BART
GRNTCH GRCH PKC CH ADMANNS DE ANN

1-641-220-3563

Support Our Swine Producers!!

Old Post 08-21-2013 06:57 PM
Brierly2011 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Brierly2011 Click here to Send Brierly2011 a Private Message Find more posts by Brierly2011 Add Brierly2011 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
David Morgan
UKC Forum Member

I totally agree with Oak Ridge. I have bred for track dogs for 35 years and have produced some good ones. I have owned one great one and he was not my breed. He was a B&T named Moonlite Major. He was unbelievable. He believed he could catch any coon he opened on. I once listened to a friends cold nosed dog work a track for 45 minutes. I asked him if it was a really cold track and he said it was super cold. I turned Major in and he blew it out of there in under 5 minutes about a 1/4 mile away and treed it. The cold nosed dog got there in about 45 more minutes. Once you have seen a good one your never satisfied with average.

Old Post 08-22-2013 03:53 AM
David Morgan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for David Morgan Click here to Send David Morgan a Private Message Click Here to Email David Morgan Find more posts by David Morgan Add David Morgan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JnH Coleman
UKC Forum Member

Track Dogs

Finley River dogs are track minded. My sons male dog takes tracks as he comes to them, doesn't mind working, and when he trees he usually has a coon. He's a coondog. If you are looking call Roger Prater in Concord, GA.

Old Post 08-22-2013 06:51 AM
JnH Coleman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JnH Coleman Click here to Send JnH Coleman a Private Message Find more posts by JnH Coleman Add JnH Coleman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
skeets
UKC Forum Member

a good track dog will have the coon when they tree,slick treeing dogs are poor track dogs no matter how good they sound running it.

Old Post 08-22-2013 10:33 AM
skeets is offline Click Here to See the Profile for skeets Click here to Send skeets a Private Message Click Here to Email skeets Find more posts by skeets Add skeets to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Randy Howard
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by patches9452
people quit breeding for track and just make them loners so they can fly thru the country and tree those easy ones.... that way they never have to know what kind of track dog they have
why not have it both ways?

PKC CH County Line Big'N, Natural (RIP) Independent.
County Line Sod Buster (Big'n x Bev)$ Brains, Accurate a Pleasure to hunt..
County Line Alittle Ambraw Pepper(Big'n x Jenny)
Line bred Pups Buster x Pepper 12/09/16
Working to rebuild some of the old Ambraw blood line.
(618) 214-1695

LUCK-Is when opportunity & Preperation Meet

Old Post 08-23-2013 02:03 AM
Randy Howard is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Randy Howard Click here to Send Randy Howard a Private Message Click Here to Email Randy Howard Find more posts by Randy Howard Add Randy Howard to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cornboy
UKC Forum Member

Oak ridge and Mr Morgan do either of y'all competition hunt much ?

Old Post 08-23-2013 02:30 AM
cornboy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cornboy Click here to Send cornboy a Private Message Click Here to Email cornboy Find more posts by cornboy Add cornboy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
LIL-E
UKC Forum Member

Old Post 08-23-2013 02:31 AM
LIL-E is offline Click Here to See the Profile for LIL-E Click here to Send LIL-E a Private Message Find more posts by LIL-E Add LIL-E to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
groworg1
UKC Forum Member

there all track dogs just most of them have the check the tree for tap bred out of them (smart coon dumb dog syndrome ) otherwise known as scdds. (for short) its our own fault compromising accuracy for speed for bragging rights over who has the best ! the best dogs get a coon or honest den or check in when no coon are within a reasonable distance and the true track dog gives mouth according to track !

Old Post 08-23-2013 03:34 AM
groworg1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for groworg1 Click here to Send groworg1 a Private Message Click Here to Email groworg1 Find more posts by groworg1 Add groworg1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cornboy
UKC Forum Member

Btt

Old Post 08-24-2013 10:36 PM
David Morgan
UKC Forum Member

Cornboy, I used to competition hunt all over the country. Now I hunt some of the close ones. I have my young dog with Steven Brabham in Ms. He is hauling him to some hunts, just getting started. He did win a first in the first one he entered with the only coon treed in the hunt and no other dog opening on the track.

Old Post 08-25-2013 01:07 AM
David Morgan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for David Morgan Click here to Send David Morgan a Private Message Click Here to Email David Morgan Find more posts by David Morgan Add David Morgan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cornboy
UKC Forum Member

Have you been working with the same line of hounds for several years ? Mr Morgan are you the same David Morgan that makes the laser torch ?

Old Post 08-25-2013 01:21 AM
David Morgan
UKC Forum Member

cornboy, Yes we make Laser Torch Lights. I have bred and hunted the same line for 36 years. They are primarily House but other lines added in. I like a dog that can take a cold track across rough country and have a coon. I find that nose and mouth are the two traits most easily bred out of dogs.

Old Post 08-25-2013 01:54 AM
cornboy
UKC Forum Member

Those kind of dogs are rare these days . I met you at the grand american last year I got the pro and I talked to you about the great ministry work y'all are doing a bible with every purchase

Old Post 08-25-2013 02:12 AM
David Morgan
UKC Forum Member

If you come to Gr. American this year look me up and ask me about the Tommy Primeaux story. You will enjoy it.

Old Post 08-25-2013 02:50 AM
cornboy
UKC Forum Member

I'll see you there brother . I may call you in the near future to talk dogs

Old Post 08-25-2013 03:14 AM