UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Which KC will take Thyroid issues serious
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Which KC will take Thyroid issues serious

Why dont a dog need some blood test along with DNA to identify thyroid concerns. Dont allow any pups from them to be registered if they have a thyroid issue. Anybody want to get serious about this issue.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-25-2019 06:19 AM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I doubt that will ever happen Bruce. But I will be the first to volunteer all my dogs (2) to be checked. Heck they can even check me if they like.

I will be part of the solution not the problem !

Robert hitt

580-341-8060

Old Post 04-25-2019 08:43 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

Re: Which KC will take Thyroid issues serious

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce m. Conkey
Why dont a dog need some blood test along with DNA to identify thyroid concerns. Dont allow any pups from them to be registered if they have a thyroid issue. Anybody want to get serious about this issue.

#1 Because of costs. Adding DNA plus thyroid testing would price their papers out of the market.
#2 It would be unprofitable to to register fewer dogs because of health issues. UKC is a for profit business.
#3 I'd bet that the majority of coonhunters don't consider it a serious issue.

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Old Post 04-25-2019 11:10 AM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

It might be costly but think about the dividends a breeder would reap from promoting a clean product. It would also show the breeders that have something to hide.

Tar

Old Post 04-25-2019 11:22 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sonny Phipps
UKC Forum Member

In other country’s the breeders a very hard core about health standards and performance. Many of the dogs in other country’s and other registries must pass DNA test that show if they carry traits for health issues and pass a performance (hunt) test before they can be registered. For use they just have to be out of registered parents. One step further is that openly use dogs of other breeds to “add” things that are needed for health and performance of the breed, And they cull hard. It’s a completely different culture then what we have . Not saying it’s better or worse, but they are very successful for one reason or another.

Old Post 04-25-2019 11:52 AM
Sonny Phipps is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sonny Phipps Click here to Send Sonny Phipps a Private Message Click Here to Email Sonny Phipps Find more posts by Sonny Phipps Add Sonny Phipps to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MR.RATMAN
Banned

Not UKC problem. The problem is with those doing the breeding and the people still buying from those breeder's. So your question should be when are we going to smarten up

PKC CH Byers Boogar Hollow D
( Mojo On Tap X Midnight Fly )

Old Post 04-25-2019 12:15 PM
MR.RATMAN is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MR.RATMAN Click here to Send MR.RATMAN a Private Message Click Here to Email MR.RATMAN Find more posts by MR.RATMAN Add MR.RATMAN to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Jim everything you said I agree with. But we talk about what is going to end coon hunting. Between the tick disease and thyroid conditions. I don't see many people willing to deal with thee issues and continue. Especially if you're looking for spending the money to train or buy the top shelf hound.

Old Post 04-25-2019 12:20 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Sonny Phipps
In other country’s the breeders a very hard core about health standards and performance. Many of the dogs in other country’s and other registries must pass DNA test that show if they carry traits for health issues and pass a performance (hunt) test before they can be registered. For us they just have to be out of registered parents. One step further is that openly use dogs of other breeds to “add” things that are needed for health and performance of the breed, And they cull hard. It’s a completely different culture than what we have . Not saying it’s better or worse, but they are very successful for one reason or another.

This is how it should be...

Old Post 04-25-2019 03:24 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gpent24
UKC Forum Member

because 99% of the time this mostly self diagnosed thyroid problem we have in the coon hound world is something that is leaned on for dogs that are just not performing at the time. Of course the vet is gonna show you that the dogs thyroid is a few points off normal as long as it means making a little money off the meds it takes to fix it. An example of this is my little brother has taken thyroid meds for a few years now. He runs/ran track at USM and was/is a top 100 ranked D1 sprinter before he was on thyroid medication and he was/is a top 100 D1 ranked sprinter after thyroid medication. It had no effect on his performance in the field whatsoever. But as long as people keep buying the meds and blaming dog performance on it those vets will keep collecting their checks.

Last edited by gpent24 on 04-25-2019 at 10:09 PM

Old Post 04-25-2019 04:47 PM
gpent24 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gpent24 Click here to Send gpent24 a Private Message Click Here to Email gpent24 Find more posts by gpent24 Add gpent24 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
micooner
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by gpent24
because 99% of the time this mostly self diagnosed thyroid problem we have in the coon hound world is something that is leaned on for dogs that are just not performing at the time. Of course the vet is gonna show you that the dogs thyroid is a few points off normal as long as it means making a little money off the meds it takes to fix it. An example of this is my little brother has taken thyroid meds for a few years now. He runs/ran track at USM and was a top 100 ranked D1 sprinter before he was on thyroid medication and he was a top 100 D1 ranked sprinter after thyroid medication. It had no effect on his performance in the field whatsoever. But as long as people keep buying the meds and blaming dog performance on it those vets will keep collecting their checks.
if little brother is taking thyroid meds because of a medical issue ask him to stop taking them for a month and then get back with us on how that worked out for him. Ive had my thyroid removed, along with 14 lymph nodes in my neck. Extra synthroid didn't give me more energy.

Old Post 04-25-2019 05:22 PM
micooner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for micooner Click here to Send micooner a Private Message Click Here to Email micooner Find more posts by micooner Add micooner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Maybe it’s kind of effects on humans vs dogs. I know a dog can smell a biscuit further than I can. They can drink out of a mud puddle and be ok and I would get sick.

Tar

Old Post 04-25-2019 05:34 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

How much do pups and dogs cost from those other registries where the pups/dogs are tested? Coonhunters gripe about paying $300-$500 for a pup and $1,500 for a young started dog. Try to buy a bird dog or O.F.A. certified dog and see what it costs you.
If you are serious about thyroid issues, just insist on a signed certified vet check that includes a thyroid profile before you buy a dog. It isn't that hard.

Last edited by Richard Lambert on 04-25-2019 at 06:12 PM

Old Post 04-25-2019 06:02 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Richard some coonhound pups are bringing a $1,000 +.
At 8 weeks old.

Tar

Old Post 04-25-2019 06:10 PM
JiM
UKC Forum Member

Some are PRICED $1000+. Very few actually bring that. And the ones Richa4d are talking about, $1000 wouldn't make a decent down payment.

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Old Post 04-25-2019 06:16 PM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Those are "special". My brother sold "certified" regular German Shepard pups for $1,500-$2,500. Regular certified "pet qualify" Rottweiler pups are $500-$1,500. When you start certifying pups/dogs, someone has to pay for it.

Old Post 04-25-2019 06:18 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
John B.Dalton
UKC Forum Member

Is this disease more prevalent in The Walker Dogs or is it showing up in all breeds...Their has to be a common denominator..Folks said feed but i know dogs that are being fed a raw diet that have it...breeding linebreed or from the family tree quite alot??...Is their a line of walker dogs that are not having as many problems..We hopefully can find partial solution without relying on a kennel club..Crossbreeding cattle help in our farming operation but everyone says crossbred coonhounds dont reproduce.....

Old Post 04-25-2019 06:35 PM
John B.Dalton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for John B.Dalton Click here to Send John B.Dalton a Private Message Visit John B.Dalton's homepage! Find more posts by John B.Dalton Add John B.Dalton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Johnny, I think it comes down to...
1. Do you want big money winning Coonhounds or do you want Coonhounds with no thyroid issues?
2. Are you willing to pay the price to have Coonhounds with no thyroid issues?

And both of these answers are contingent on whether you see it as a real problem.

Old Post 04-25-2019 07:07 PM
johnny reb
UKC Forum Member

As Jim has stated start looking at some of the other sporting breeds cost versus a coonhounds cost. Coonhound stud fees and pup prices have pretty much stayed the same for the past 30 years. Coonhounds are cheap compared to the others.

Old Post 04-25-2019 07:13 PM
johnny reb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnny reb Click here to Send johnny reb a Private Message Click Here to Email johnny reb Find more posts by johnny reb Add johnny reb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

As long as there's meds to hide the effect of the disease it isn't going to be addressed by enough coon hound breeders to get rid of it. Imo, no dog that has a thyroid problem should ever be bred including the ones that got thyroid issues from side effects of a tick disease. "Hardy" is a forgotten word. Stud dog owners should demand thyroid test on all females

Last edited by sleepy head on 04-25-2019 at 07:29 PM

Old Post 04-25-2019 07:22 PM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Atherton
UKC Forum Member

Why is it a registry problem? If you are concerned, than just do what you need to do. It is called being responsible.

Aim small miss small

Old Post 04-25-2019 07:27 PM
Larry Atherton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Atherton Click here to Send Larry Atherton a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Atherton Visit Larry Atherton's homepage! Find more posts by Larry Atherton Add Larry Atherton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cory Highfill
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by John B.Dalton
Is this disease more prevalent in The Walker Dogs or is it showing up in all breeds...Their has to be a common denominator..Folks said feed but i know dogs that are being fed a raw diet that have it...breeding linebreed or from the family tree quite alot??...Is their a line of walker dogs that are not having as many problems..?

To me, these are the questions that need to be answered, very publicly. Some folks don't mind hunting a finished thyroid dog that's either been juiced or is medicated and able to compete because of it, but alot of folks that actually raise pups and train young dogs would avoid them like the plague if the prevalence in certain lines was common knowledge.
Meanwhile, I doubt that any of the kennel clubs will be willing to step off into the thyroid issue. They provide a registration service, and they head down a slippery slope when they start attempting to regulate health issues. To me that should fall on breeders to sort out.
We've seen the rise and fall of the "All Grand" pedigree, do you think we'll ever see a "Verified Thyroid Issue Free" pedigree?

Old Post 04-25-2019 08:04 PM
Cory Highfill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cory Highfill Click here to Send Cory Highfill a Private Message Click Here to Email Cory Highfill Find more posts by Cory Highfill Add Cory Highfill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I got a litter on the way the reason is I have friends I owe pups to. We all do that to keep each other in dogs they have a litter they give me one I have a litter I give them one. It works we all always got dogs that tree coons. When we breed we keep in mind would you want your friend to give you a pup they knew there was a chance their might be a health issue with I sure wouldn’t. I hope mine only has about 4 then the day they are weaned they are gone lol.

But we all know the unsaid rule that pup don’t make it you cull it.

Tar

Old Post 04-25-2019 09:06 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Oh my goodness, you only have 4 friends?.... (Now you asked for that one)

Old Post 04-25-2019 09:10 PM
yadkintar
Banned

Ain’t got none my age lol. And ain’t many of us as enthused about it as we used to be this crap is ruffer than it used to be stepped right on a rattle snake last night guess my heart is still in good shape but I almost needed a depends diaper it’s ok it cleaned up when I got in the shower.

Tarbaby

Old Post 04-25-2019 09:21 PM
Blaze P.
Banned

Not any kc's problem. If you know the dogs and breeders with issues, just don't fool with them.I get a lot of calls and guys coming to hunt from all over, not counting people I call friends that hunt, and I have only had one guy that has a thyroid dog I know tell me his dog had it. I just read about it on here like it's a sweeping plague.

Old Post 04-25-2019 09:50 PM
Blaze P. is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Blaze P. Click here to Send Blaze P. a Private Message Find more posts by Blaze P. Add Blaze P. to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote