UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Advanced opossum Breaking
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Bfreeman
UKC Forum Member

Advanced opossum Breaking

Got a male bluetick almost 3 that will not leave a grinner alone.... shocking, switching, breaking scents have had no affect. He will be on a coon and cross a opossum and leave coon track to tree a opossum. I really like this dog ,he isn't dumb actually one of the smartest i have owned have treed alot of coons with him too but can't pass up a opossum... any advice is appreciated

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-14-2020 02:15 AM
Bfreeman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bfreeman Click here to Send Bfreeman a Private Message Find more posts by Bfreeman Add Bfreeman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rudedog
UKC Forum Member

possum braking

always had good luck tie dog back shoot out possum dump ammonia all over dead possum and let dog go one or two times seems to work

Old Post 01-14-2020 02:38 AM
rudedog is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rudedog Click here to Send rudedog a Private Message Find more posts by rudedog Add rudedog to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blueticker
UKC Forum Member

I dont ever reward a hound with getting a possum out that they treed. Even if it's to shock them when they grab it. Going to the tree may be enough reward for the hound to tree the next one. I've shocked dogs off the tree if a broke dog checks the tree and goes on. This seemed to work. I've also used shock treatment around the kennel and dog box. I've hunted the hound that needs broke with a bonafide possum dog and shocked them off the possum tree.

The Hounds I Enjoyed Hunting:
Dual Gr Natural Smokey River Rebel, A buddy of mine
Gr. Nt Natural Blue Echo ( Gr Nt Quail Ck Jimmy X Nt Ch Natural Blue Bell)
Gr Nt Smokey River Chief's Joe (JBS Chief X Gr Nt Jeans Ruby)
Gr. Nt. Ch. Natural Smokey River Lucy (Chief's Joe X Muggins)
And Many More

Old Post 01-14-2020 05:42 AM
blueticker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blueticker Click here to Send blueticker a Private Message Find more posts by blueticker Add blueticker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hardball
UKC Forum Member

Attach dead possum to his collar as a necklace for three days keep shocking collar on as well. Shock randomly during this time. Has worked for my dog very well.

Old Post 01-14-2020 10:40 AM
Hardball is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hardball Click here to Send Hardball a Private Message Find more posts by Hardball Add Hardball to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bfreeman
UKC Forum Member

Hard ball I have Tried this already slowed him down but he hasn't stopped

Old Post 01-14-2020 01:38 PM
Bfreeman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bfreeman Click here to Send Bfreeman a Private Message Find more posts by Bfreeman Add Bfreeman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

It ain’t going to happen over night !! Pull him off the tree about 10 yards switch his butt and send him on. He goes on and trees a coon reward him. The less time spent at that possum tre the better. He will figure it out.

Tar

Old Post 01-14-2020 02:02 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bfreeman
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
It ain’t going to happen over night !! Pull him off the tree about 10 yards switch his butt and send him on. He goes on and trees a coon reward him. The less time spent at that possum tre the better. He will figure it out.

Tar

this is going on over a year I have been dealing with this and trust me its not because he aint getting disciplined for it

Old Post 01-14-2020 02:19 PM
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

I honestly believe some dogs just cant tell the difference.

Just need to get a non-hunting judge that happens to see a coon in the same tree as the possum.

Old Post 01-14-2020 02:28 PM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
osimpson4
UKC Forum Member

Possum

I know everyone always says never reward one with what you don't want them to tree. But that ammonia trick will work. The only thing we used to do different was climb the tree and pour it on the possum and kick him out. But I can't climb like I used to lol.

Old Post 01-14-2020 02:32 PM
osimpson4 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for osimpson4 Click here to Send osimpson4 a Private Message Click Here to Email osimpson4 Find more posts by osimpson4 Add osimpson4 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tug18
UKC Forum Member

Turn him out where you see one cross the road and shock his butt off. Just break him off track.

Old Post 01-14-2020 02:53 PM
Tug18 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tug18 Click here to Send Tug18 a Private Message Find more posts by Tug18 Add Tug18 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
morgan branch
UKC Forum Member

I am following this post closely. I have a very nice male that started treeing them almost regularly after his bout with the earlichia. He is a 5 yr old dual grand that can hang with the best in the country.This is a very, very smart dog and knows they are wrong the minute he sees them but it almost like his sense of smell is messed up. I have done the ammonia, possum collar, physical correction, electric correction. No results so far... Been hunting for close to 40 years and have never seen the likes of this.

Old Post 01-14-2020 03:08 PM
morgan branch is offline Click Here to See the Profile for morgan branch Click here to Send morgan branch a Private Message Find more posts by morgan branch Add morgan branch to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jkidd1
UKC Forum Member

This may or may not work for some of you and your hounds but it did for me. I had one get on a possum spree. The last one he treed, I had my buddy walk the dog to the truck. I shot the possum out and took it home. The next day I tied a small rope around the possum and put it in the very back of the dog box and ran the rope through the dog box door. I put the e-collar on the possum dog and as he loaded into the box I shut the door and pulled the rope several times bringing the possum right at him and gave him several levels of stimulating. Knock on wood I haven't seen him fool with one since.

JEREMY KIDD
765-520-1552

*females*
GRNITECH' JR'S JANEY
(Xjr X Insane Jane)

GRNITECH ST. JOHN'S STYLISH REX
(Ol south stylish Rebel X Janey)

GRNITECH' AFTER DARK'S JAN-IT
(Sweat It X Janey)

DUAL GRNITE' LONETREE LEGEND (R.I.P.)
(Noct. Style X Southern Sky)

GRNITECH' STYLISH LITTLE PEG(R.I.P.)
(Trackman X Browns Little Peg)

GRNITECH 'PR' JANEY'S GOTTA GUN
(Wild Card X Jr's Janey)

NITECH ‘PR’ REBELS STYLISH MOJA
(Ol Souths Stylish Rebel X Janey)

AFTER DARK’S PURDY PENNY
(Big $$ X Janit)

NITECH' SEVEN MILE SLOOPY(R.I.P.)
(Skipper x Big time Trixie)

Proud UNION JOURNEYMAN LINEMAN
https://i.postimg.cc/654pWfzm/IMG-1920.png
I.B.E.W. LOCAL 1393

Old Post 01-14-2020 03:29 PM
jkidd1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jkidd1 Click here to Send jkidd1 a Private Message Click Here to Email jkidd1 Find more posts by jkidd1 Add jkidd1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bfreeman
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by morgan branch
I am following this post closely. I have a very nice male that started treeing them almost regularly after his bout with the earlichia. He is a 5 yr old dual grand that can hang with the best in the country.This is a very, very smart dog and knows they are wrong the minute he sees them but it almost like his sense of smell is messed up. I have done the ammonia, possum collar, physical correction, electric correction. No results so far... Been hunting for close to 40 years and have never seen the likes of this.

I have tried all of the above also except for the ammonia and yes I agree its almost like he cannot tell the difference I hate to give up on him because my 11 year old loves coonhunting and this was his 1st dog to really get to hunt with and knock a coon out with him. If he gets over the opossums he will be one of the most accurate dogs I have seen.

Old Post 01-14-2020 05:41 PM
yadkintar
Banned

I am just telling you what works for me don’t draw attention to somthing you dont want them on. People sick them on somthing shoot it out then whoop them for it. Poor dog don’t know if they are sacking groceries or carrying them out. You find that possum scatter his chickens and send him out of there he trees a coon make a big deal out of it that works for me. I seen people see a armadillo or skunk and follow it with their light then wonder why the pup went and got on it.

Tar

Old Post 01-14-2020 05:53 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Edinger
UKC Forum Member

Have you been knocking alot of coon out to him.. Does he go to treeing possums after you have rewarded him with a coon. If that is the case stop knocking out coon to him and he will quit treeing possums.

Old Post 01-14-2020 06:34 PM
Richard Edinger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Edinger Click here to Send Richard Edinger a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Edinger Find more posts by Richard Edinger Add Richard Edinger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bfreeman
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Edinger
Have you been knocking alot of coon out to him.. Does he go to treeing possums after you have rewarded him with a coon. If that is the case stop knocking out coon to him and he will quit treeing possums.

I have knocked them out and left them in tree and pet him up and walked off doesn't seem to make a difference. Its just like he cant leave one alone if he comes across a opossum track even if he is on a coon I have had him pull of a coon track 3 times this season and fall treed on a opossum. I have noticed that on wet damp nights its a lot worse but I believe that just because opossums are moving more.

He ran fast game about 3 different times when I first got him and I shocked him off the track Fox/Deer and he hasn't run any fast game for a long while matter fact he treed a coon 30 yards from a deer bedded down last week. But shocking him on opossum track/Tree hasn't seem to get him to stop at all. The only result I have had was him leaving the tree before I got there when he had a opossum treed. The other night he treed a opossum and never left he acted like he had the coon wagging his tale greeting me at the tree, like he's going in reverse again IDK.

Old Post 01-14-2020 07:19 PM
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Bfreeman
I have knocked them out and left them in tree and pet him up and walked off doesn't seem to make a difference. Its just like he cant leave one alone if he comes across a opossum track even if he is on a coon I have had him pull of a coon track 3 times this season and fall treed on a opossum. I have noticed that on wet damp nights its a lot worse but I believe that just because opossums are moving more.

He ran fast game about 3 different times when I first got him and I shocked him off the track Fox/Deer and he hasn't run any fast game for a long while matter fact he treed a coon 30 yards from a deer bedded down last week. But shocking him on opossum track/Tree hasn't seem to get him to stop at all. The only result I have had was him leaving the tree before I got there when he had a opossum treed. The other night he treed a opossum and never left he acted like he had the coon wagging his tale greeting me at the tree, like he's going in reverse again IDK.

The moment you see it’s a possum run his butt away from there.

Tar

Old Post 01-14-2020 07:49 PM
Richard Edinger
UKC Forum Member

I had a female one time that could manufacture possums, the more you tried to break her the worse she got.
When I got close and seen what she had I would just walk on by not saying anything, then I would just tickle her lightly with the ecollar, not shock just tickle. She would stop treeing ,go to looking around and ease down off the tree and continue hunting. In time she became a check dog. Same method also worked on armadillo.

Old Post 01-14-2020 08:48 PM
Richard Edinger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Edinger Click here to Send Richard Edinger a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Edinger Find more posts by Richard Edinger Add Richard Edinger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

quote:
I had a female one time that could manufacture possums, the more you tried to break her the worse she got.
When I got close and seen what she had I would just walk on by not saying anything, then I would just tickle her lightly with the ecollar, not shock just tickle. She would stop treeing ,go to looking around and ease down off the tree and continue hunting. In time she became a check dog. Same method also worked on armadillo.

That's the way I do it. When you see it's a possum, walk about fifty feet away and shock him lightly. Just enough to stop him from barking. Hopefully he won't leave the tree right away. When he barks treed again shock him lightly again . It might 5 or 6 times but do this until he leaves on his own. It will take less shocks to get him to leave every time. He'll be making the decision not to be under a possum tree.

Old Post 01-14-2020 10:26 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wildwilly0161
UKC Forum Member

Yes, It's my most prized invention!!

Yes, I just wrote an instruction manual and DVD for this purpose! I blend my obedience training with every aspect of Coon hunting to brake the toughest most intelligent hounds from any or all Off Game!

Traditional methods of disciplining at the tree for Off game is now a thing of the past. As I teach people across the USA a new different way to brake the Scent and Sight Triggtrers that cause off game chases in the first place!!
This is the most aI advanced Braking system ever created, I have broken every single Hound have attempted with this system for over 20 years now!!!

bfreeman when it comes to an intelligent Hound you Must get him under a coon and praise him for it/// After each discipline you give him for possum! or at least by the end off that night !!!
he will not stop treeing them until you brake the triggers.
Once the triggers are broke he himself will not want to mess with possum and he will be broke for life, I call this want marrying.

My instruction manual includes all faults coon Hounds will experience.
Off Game Braking
Jacking the Tree
Chewing
Food Aggression
Tree aggression
Shyness
Gun Shyness
Sock Collar Healing
Sensitive Toenail
Child Saftey so we can hunt with younger children
as well as more health information of causes of these faults than you can Shake a Stick at!
Click on the Off Game braking sneak peek below !!

Click link to see our Upcoming library Obedience Video !! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TtkiewjtvM

Home of Dual GR.CH. !! Bad Boy Brussel !!

GR.CH.GR.NITE.CH.BRUSSEL SPROUTS ROAST
(((((((One of the smartest coon hounds on the Face of the EARTH))))))) 40 verbal comands 20 hand signals !! Amazing In the Woods!!!!
Pm for DVD Video !!

Wild Willy's Way to Complete Coon Hound Control training system / Specializing in Coonhound Control and Scent Training Scent Hounds !!! With Positive Reinforcement Methods !!! Click the link to watch WildWilly'sWay to 10 minute Loading training- Quick Tip
https://youtu.be/zUa7hT7Tbgg See a Sneak Peek of our beliefs on Off Game Breaking with this link- Off game Breaking https://youtu.be/tVouPD95P9s

Last edited by wildwilly0161 on 01-14-2020 at 10:38 PM

Old Post 01-14-2020 10:31 PM
wildwilly0161 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wildwilly0161 Click here to Send wildwilly0161 a Private Message Click Here to Email wildwilly0161 Find more posts by wildwilly0161 Add wildwilly0161 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Team Mafia 2
UKC Forum Member

I’ve had my best luck breaking them at the house with a possum they didn’t tree. Some dogs get excited enough to tree more possums just by shooting it out regardless as to whether or not they are whipped or shocked when they grab it. Kill a possum on the side of the road take it home with you. Throw it to the dog and shock him every time he touches it. When he’s to blown up to grab it rub it on him and shock him. I don’t mean on low either you want to get his attention.

Dalton Cummings
918-533-6545

Old Post 01-15-2020 12:02 AM
Team Mafia 2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Team Mafia 2 Click here to Send Team Mafia 2 a Private Message Click Here to Email Team Mafia 2 Find more posts by Team Mafia 2 Add Team Mafia 2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cory Highfill
UKC Forum Member

quote:

Here's your answer. Walk in and glance, then go on by. Use a light tap with the collar and go on like nothing happened. Don't tie him, don't spend alot of time shining, don't ever squall, and I absolutely disagree with anyone suggesting that you shoot one out for discipline. Same can work for some (but not all) slick treeing.

Old Post 01-15-2020 03:14 AM
Cory Highfill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cory Highfill Click here to Send Cory Highfill a Private Message Click Here to Email Cory Highfill Find more posts by Cory Highfill Add Cory Highfill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ron Jackson
UKC Forum Member

Im a firm believer in breaking them before they tree them.

Old Post 01-15-2020 03:14 AM
Ron Jackson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Jackson Click here to Send Ron Jackson a Private Message Click Here to Email Ron Jackson Find more posts by Ron Jackson Add Ron Jackson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Best cure I've found is to sell him and buy a Walker lol! JK
Then we can tell you how to break it off the bigger off game.
Chey

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 01-15-2020 03:25 AM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blueticker
UKC Forum Member

[B]Best cure I've found is to sell him and buy a Walker lol! JK
Then we can tell you how to break it off the bigger off game.
Chey

This fella still wants to tree coon on a regular basis.

The Hounds I Enjoyed Hunting:
Dual Gr Natural Smokey River Rebel, A buddy of mine
Gr. Nt Natural Blue Echo ( Gr Nt Quail Ck Jimmy X Nt Ch Natural Blue Bell)
Gr Nt Smokey River Chief's Joe (JBS Chief X Gr Nt Jeans Ruby)
Gr. Nt. Ch. Natural Smokey River Lucy (Chief's Joe X Muggins)
And Many More

Old Post 01-15-2020 05:39 AM
blueticker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blueticker Click here to Send blueticker a Private Message Find more posts by blueticker Add blueticker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote