UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > What are you looking for?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Creason
UKC Forum Member

What are you looking for?

An interesting discussion today has sparked my curiosity. Our discussion had to with what trait trumped all the other traits in a hound. Do you choose mouth over accuracy, or drive on a track over mouth etc... What closes the deal for you when looking to buy a hound? (Disclosure-I know we all want a perfectly balanced hound)

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-11-2019 08:32 PM
Creason is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Creason Click here to Send Creason a Private Message Find more posts by Creason Add Creason to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

Got to see eyes and not Ill or shy!

Old Post 06-11-2019 08:47 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sgraves
UKC Forum Member

Have to see eyes , not mean or shy. Like a big mouth that tells a honest story all the way to them eyes. Like hearing that sweet hound music.

Old Post 06-11-2019 09:14 PM
Sgraves is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sgraves Click here to Send Sgraves a Private Message Click Here to Email Sgraves Find more posts by Sgraves Add Sgraves to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RatDog
UKC Forum Member

Consistency

Old Post 06-11-2019 10:01 PM
RatDog is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RatDog Click here to Send RatDog a Private Message Find more posts by RatDog Add RatDog to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dogwhisper
UKC Forum Member

Intelligence...trump's all for me.

Old Post 06-11-2019 11:58 PM
Dogwhisper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dogwhisper Click here to Send Dogwhisper a Private Message Find more posts by Dogwhisper Add Dogwhisper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cory Highfill
UKC Forum Member

Intelligence.
I can put up with a lot, overlook a little, and will occasionally see something in a dog others don't. But I will never, ever deal with a stupid dog again.

Old Post 06-12-2019 02:43 AM
Cory Highfill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cory Highfill Click here to Send Cory Highfill a Private Message Click Here to Email Cory Highfill Find more posts by Cory Highfill Add Cory Highfill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Creason
UKC Forum Member

Percentage

What would be your guess on percentage of intelligent hounds verses the not so intelligent?

Old Post 06-12-2019 03:47 AM
Creason is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Creason Click here to Send Creason a Private Message Find more posts by Creason Add Creason to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dean jamerson
UKC Forum Member

Absolutely has to go hunting!

Old Post 06-12-2019 12:52 PM
dean jamerson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dean jamerson Click here to Send dean jamerson a Private Message Click Here to Email dean jamerson Find more posts by dean jamerson Add dean jamerson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dogwhisper
UKC Forum Member

Re: Percentage

quote:
Originally posted by Creason
What would be your guess on percentage of intelligent hounds verses the not so intelligent?

15%

Old Post 06-12-2019 12:57 PM
Dogwhisper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dogwhisper Click here to Send Dogwhisper a Private Message Find more posts by Dogwhisper Add Dogwhisper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Creason
UKC Forum Member

That is a low percentage

Old Post 06-12-2019 09:38 PM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Dogs

Intelligence, I suspect that some dogs are more intelligent than the handler. Lol. Dave

Old Post 06-13-2019 01:02 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
OLD TIMER
UKC Forum Member

MEETS

breed standard

when treed, has game at least 80% of the time

has to go hunting BUT I don't need a full tank of gas and a tracking system

in 63 years of owning hounds, only had one that was mean and he was buried in a hurry--can't believe what I've seen some hunt!!

Old Post 06-13-2019 01:20 AM
OLD TIMER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for OLD TIMER Click Here to Email OLD TIMER Find more posts by OLD TIMER Add OLD TIMER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bowling
UKC Forum Member

Brains accuracy and most important to me it has to go hunting alone wouldn’t feed one that don’t I don’t care how many coon they can tree if a dog has to carry them hunting. If they ain’t got enough drive to hunt alone they are useless to me.

Old Post 06-13-2019 03:23 AM
bowling is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bowling Click here to Send bowling a Private Message Click Here to Email bowling Visit bowling's homepage! Find more posts by bowling Add bowling to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

A hound that makes it look easy day in and day out...

Old Post 06-13-2019 11:44 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blue blue
UKC Forum Member

Several

Deal breakers for me but the one that trumps all is accuracy. If they don’t have coon doesn’t matter how well they do anything else to me.

Old Post 06-13-2019 01:04 PM
blue blue is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blue blue Click here to Send blue blue a Private Message Click Here to Email blue blue Find more posts by blue blue Add blue blue to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Roger
UKC Forum Member

If there not loud, I won't hunt them.

Old Post 06-14-2019 02:33 AM
Roger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Roger Click here to Send Roger a Private Message Click Here to Email Roger Find more posts by Roger Add Roger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Creason
UKC Forum Member

Accuracy? According to some folks in the thread under “accuracy”, that can’t exist in a dog to a high percentage. If you say it does, you must be some sort of dimwit (of course I am being sarcastic). I agree on the accuracy, not a perfect dog but one able to produce a high level of accuracy. Why not except that? I also like a loud mouth (can’t hear like I used to), and brains (that might with the accuracy to some degree). Thanks for y’alls input to this thread.

Old Post 06-16-2019 02:55 AM
Ghost14
UKC Forum Member

Number 1 priority- Accuracy. They better have a coon when they tree or they don’t live here long. I raise game catching dogs. Not tree dogs, or loud dog, or pretty dogs, or papers. Just dogs that catch game, period. Anything else is just a bonus to me. They have to be somewhat intelligent to be good game catchers. A dog that mindlessly barks up a tree without game in it is dumb as a box of rocks. I like these terms people are creating to describe these culls- they think these dogs take a gamble or are reasoning there decisions out to get treed or not!!! Hahahaha! They either have a sound mind that allows them to catch there prey, or they don’t! Period!

Old Post 06-16-2019 03:29 PM
Ghost14 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ghost14 Click here to Send Ghost14 a Private Message Click Here to Email Ghost14 Find more posts by Ghost14 Add Ghost14 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Ghost14
Number 1 priority- Accuracy. They better have a coon when they tree or they don’t live here long. I raise game catching dogs. Not tree dogs, or loud dog, or pretty dogs, or papers. Just dogs that catch game, period. Anything else is just a bonus to me. They have to be somewhat intelligent to be good game catchers. A dog that mindlessly barks up a tree without game in it is dumb as a box of rocks. I like these terms people are creating to describe these culls- they think these dogs take a gamble or are reasoning there decisions out to get treed or not!!! Hahahaha! They either have a sound mind that allows them to catch there prey, or they don’t! Period!

Ghost...I have to agree with you...we need not be wearing rose colored glasses...

As I said earlier in my post... I like a dog that does it right Day in and day out...good dogs don’t need excuses...they will look good in any company...

Old Post 06-16-2019 04:07 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Team Mafia 2
UKC Forum Member

Honestly a freak of Nature. The dog I’m looking for has a coon when it trees. I’m talking hunt them 300+ nights a year and count the trees you don’t see coons In on your fingers and toes. One of the best coon hunter I’ve ever met told me one night while pleasure hunting that every now and then you will see a dog that Has a coon when he trees and the rest of them may have a coon when they tree. Some say they don’t exist but I’ve seen one and if the good lord is willing I will be able to have one on the end of my leash. The kicker to what I’m after is I’m not hunting a slow trailing type dog and I’m not hunting an ambush type dog. I want them to run almost every track they strike like it’s a red hot deer race and be a one bark tree dog. I’ve see one dog strike tracks in the winter and drive them down there like he was looking at them but when you shoot it out it has frost on its back. Almost a dead loner is a must and a mouth I can hear. They don’t have to be big power house tree dogs or have a million dollar mouth I just want to be able to hear them. If I could have my choice it would be ghost white but I guess I’d settle for a common looking blanket back dog lol.

Dalton Cummings
918-533-6545

Old Post 06-17-2019 07:05 AM
Team Mafia 2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Team Mafia 2 Click here to Send Team Mafia 2 a Private Message Click Here to Email Team Mafia 2 Find more posts by Team Mafia 2 Add Team Mafia 2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Team Mafia 2
Honestly a freak of Nature. The dog I’m looking for has a coon when it trees. I’m talking hunt them 300+ nights a year and count the trees you don’t see coons In on your fingers and toes. One of the best coon hunter I’ve ever met told me one night while pleasure hunting that every now and then you will see a dog that Has a coon when he trees and the rest of them may have a coon when they tree. Some say they don’t exist but I’ve seen one and if the good lord is willing I will be able to have one on the end of my leash. The kicker to what I’m after is I’m not hunting a slow trailing type dog and I’m not hunting an ambush type dog. I want them to run almost every track they strike like it’s a red hot deer race and be a one bark tree dog. I’ve see one dog strike tracks in the winter and drive them down there like he was looking at them but when you shoot it out it has frost on its back. Almost a dead loner is a must and a mouth I can hear. They don’t have to be big power house tree dogs or have a million dollar mouth I just want to be able to hear them. If I could have my choice it would be ghost white but I guess I’d settle for a common looking blanket back dog lol.

Dalton I think anyone would be happy with the dog you describe. The only thing different for me is I don't particularly want a dead loaner. I'm 70 and have hunted all life and never had one and I doubt that I will, but I have a son of Mafia that trees coon and I'm happy.
Absolutely the straightest dog I have ever owned.

Old Post 06-17-2019 05:25 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Toad Hill
UKC Forum Member

1. BRAINS !!
2. HUNT / DESIRE / HUSTLE !! - no reverse !! Everything else is just a pet.
3. MOUTH

Old Post 06-17-2019 05:27 PM
Toad Hill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Toad Hill Click here to Send Toad Hill a Private Message Find more posts by Toad Hill Add Toad Hill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote