UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Big Game Hunting > Lightfoot Blackjack
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Brian Chorney
UKC Forum Member

Lightfoot Blackjack

Today was like any other day in the life of a houndsman, other than our temp. was very cold (-26C).We had a lion track that was only an hour old. Just had to wait for daylight. Day light came and with no change in temp we turned two hounds loose on the track.Lightfoot Blackjack and Lightfoot Rev. They are litter mate brothers. Both are tough hard driving hounds that are not affected by much. In about 15 minutes the lion was jumped and the race heated right up. A bay up and wicked ground fight began, ending up with Blackjack getting killed with a fatal bite to the head. Rev went on to fight and eventually tree the lion with the arrival of my partner Ryan at the final bay up site.
Blackjack's beautiful booming voice will be greatly missed in the woods, along with the hard track driving ability and outstanding tree power. We were lucky enough to have had three litters of pups out of Jack out of three great females, that are spread throughout the U.S. and western Canada. Blackjack proved himself in the woods and as a stud dog. His offspring are proving to be great assets to all that have them.
Good bye my friend.
Brian

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-16-2008 04:51 AM
Brian Chorney is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Brian Chorney Click here to Send Brian Chorney a Private Message Click Here to Email Brian Chorney Find more posts by Brian Chorney Add Brian Chorney to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
second nature
UKC Forum Member

BRIAN I'M TRULEY SORRY FOR YOUR LOSS OF A GREAT HOUND WAY BEFORE HIS TIME I KNOW HE DIED DOING WHAT HE REALY LOVED TO DO BUT IT SUCKS AND I'M SORRY FOR YOUR LOSS BUT REMEMBER THAT HE LIVES ON
BRIAN I'M TRULEY SORRY FOR YOUR LOSS OF A GREAT HOUND WAY BEFORE HIS TIME I KNOW HE DIED DOING WHAT HE REALY LOVED TO DO BUT IT SUCKS AND I'M SORRY FOR YOUR LOSS BUT REMEMBER THAT HE LIVES ON

clyde(scotts)

HE DID GREAT THINGS IN STYLE AND LIVES ON IN HIS PUPS LIKE MERCY, CB, BONNIE AND ALL THE OTHERS WHO CARRY HIS GENES MAY THEY ALL HAVE THE GRACE AND STYLE OF THERE FATHER BLACK JACK MIGHT BE GONE BUT TO SO MANY OF US WHO HAVE COME TO KNOW HIM OVER THE NET AND WITH HIS PUPS WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTON BEST WISHES SORRY FOR YOUR LOSS LARRY

Home Of.
pr second natures lightfoot blue cruiz
pr second natures lightfoot jess
pr secondnatures lightfoot dads braveheart
pr fch jughill mattie mae
secondnatures roosters emma
daisy// the bunny killer

( RIP GONE BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN)
nitech ch pr second natures buck
pr Idaho lightfoot blitz

Last edited by second nature on 12-16-2008 at 01:32 PM

Old Post 12-16-2008 01:18 PM
second nature is offline Click Here to See the Profile for second nature Click here to Send second nature a Private Message Click Here to Email second nature Find more posts by second nature Add second nature to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
khissam1
UKC Forum Member

Bad news

Brian, I'm sorry for your loss. I was saddened as I learned of the bad news yesterday evening while talking to Jess. The news that every houndsmen dreads to hear. Blackjack was that special type off hound. I'm sure Jack's legacy will continue to be seen throughout his offspring. However, Blackjack will truely be missed by all Lightfooters.

Old Post 12-16-2008 01:31 PM
khissam1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for khissam1 Click here to Send khissam1 a Private Message Click Here to Email khissam1 Find more posts by khissam1 Add khissam1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BIGCASTLEDAWGS
UKC Forum Member

Brian and The Lightfoot Gang...

I posted last night on another thread about how heartbreaking this was to hear... I was up real late which is not real common for me.... I did some day dreaming, looking thru pix on here I've saved of a bunch of nice hounds and hunts and I realized how fortunate I feel to have shared the stories, the glories and the heartbreaks as well. The internet has given us the chance to share the ups and the downs. I hate that we have the downs....but it is worth it for the Ups! Black Jack was a Magnificent creature... capable of giving us the amazing pix of other beautiful creatures some of us will Never Ever see in real life....
Bob and I send our thoughts and Prayers but I wanted to add to that our THANKS for your willingness to share YOUR hounds with us on here... sometimes those stories and pix carry people far away fro the real world they live in and I know that for me it is often a lifesaver... keeps me sane....

We are sincerely sorry for your loss, Heather and Bob

Old Post 12-16-2008 02:15 PM
BIGCASTLEDAWGS is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BIGCASTLEDAWGS Click here to Send BIGCASTLEDAWGS a Private Message Find more posts by BIGCASTLEDAWGS Add BIGCASTLEDAWGS to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hellcat
UKC Forum Member

Brian

You have been one of the few to own a complete hound. Black Jack had all of the ability in the woods that any hunter could want. Black Jack had all of the mouth and treeing ability that any hunter could want. Black Jack had all the looks and style that any hunter could want. Most importantly Black Jack was producing pups that may well have put him in that elite club of truly exceptional reproducers.
At four years old Black Jack was taken before his time . I believe that had Black Jack lived to old age would have made a name for himself that would have been spoken with reverence by hunters across two countries for years and years. Black Jack is now running with Bugg's, Ike II, Bruno II, Red Bird and the rest of the "A" team that went before him. I almost envy you Black Jack.
I look forward to hunter with those hounds again myself.
Good Hunting Black Jack, Run hard you are now running with the Big Dogs.

"They are often imitated but never duplicated"

Old Post 12-16-2008 02:49 PM
hellcat is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hellcat Click here to Send hellcat a Private Message Click Here to Email hellcat Visit hellcat's homepage! Find more posts by hellcat Add hellcat to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bayou13
UKC Forum Member

Sorry to hear abouy your loss.

Old Post 12-16-2008 03:44 PM
bayou13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bayou13 Click here to Send bayou13 a Private Message Find more posts by bayou13 Add bayou13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jeremy Long
UKC Forum Member

I can not come close to the previous posts, but I know the feeling and its no good, and most people never can understand. It sounds like he has left his mark in his pups for you to carry on. Best of luck, and sorry for your loss.

GrNtCh Long's Buttercreek Betsy
NtCh Long's Buttercreek Bubba
GrCh GrNtCh Jones' Rais in Cane
NtCh ButterCeeks Big Win

Old Post 12-16-2008 04:45 PM
Jeremy Long is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jeremy Long Click here to Send Jeremy Long a Private Message Find more posts by Jeremy Long Add Jeremy Long to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
went blue
UKC Forum Member

WOW what do you say in a time like this,
I will agree with Heather to see pictures, hear the stories you guys post on here is almost like being there. To watch these dogs grow and become such great dogs is like knowing all of you and your hounds. We are with you all in thoughts and prayers,

937-901-2081
storminkennels@yahoo.com
Home of:

CCH.GRCH.Stormin' I'm A Survivor REBA
Stormin' Midnight MoonRest in Peace old man you will be greatly missed

Old Post 12-16-2008 04:55 PM
went blue is offline Click Here to See the Profile for went blue Click here to Send went blue a Private Message Click Here to Email went blue Visit went blue's homepage! Find more posts by went blue Add went blue to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Big Bawler
UKC Forum Member

i posted on the other thread in the english section, but i thought i would here as well. i too feel like i have come to know blackjack. and in my opinion he was the best looking english dog to ever hit the timber. keep your heads high and know that you boys are changing the english breed for the better and he will never be forgotten. he died doing what he wanted to do, and although he cannot be replaced his offspring will carry him on forever.i am sincerely sorry for your loss. and thanks for bringing me back out west where my heart belongs. i truely miss running cats and living in the mountians and you all have kept me there in my head. thanks again.

brad

NITECH SILVERTONE REBEL YELL (never forgotten 1/3/10)
NORTHERN LIGHTS SHOOTER
NORTHERN LIGHTS SHIFTER
if it aint broke, fix it till it is...

Old Post 12-16-2008 06:02 PM
Big Bawler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Big Bawler Click here to Send Big Bawler a Private Message Find more posts by Big Bawler Add Big Bawler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
spruce mountain
UKC Forum Member

Black Jack

The only positive thing I can say about this is that he wasn,t the only great dog you have.Most people who would loose a dog of this caliber would be in bad shape for the rest of the season.Im sure that with the pack of hounds you keep that you won,t skip a beat.I know that no one wants to or can aford to loose a dog like this but for alot of people thier season would be over.It just shows what great things you guys have done with these dogs.Good luck with the rest of the season.

http://www.sprucemountainhunting.com

Old Post 12-17-2008 02:09 AM
spruce mountain is offline Click Here to See the Profile for spruce mountain Click here to Send spruce mountain a Private Message Click Here to Email spruce mountain Visit spruce mountain's homepage! Find more posts by spruce mountain Add spruce mountain to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CHAD RICHARDSON
UKC Forum Member

I am sorry to hear of the loss of such a fine hound. Hopefully, he will live on through his offspring.

Old Post 12-17-2008 04:05 AM
CHAD RICHARDSON is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CHAD RICHARDSON Click here to Send CHAD RICHARDSON a Private Message Find more posts by CHAD RICHARDSON Add CHAD RICHARDSON to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dustin Myers
UKC Forum Member

There's no doubt that Black Jack was a special hound that played a big role in our program, both as a hunting dog and a reproducer. As much as I hate to see Black Jack gone. I am confident after hunting with the other young hounds that Brian has coming up, that he will continue catching game, and one or more of those young dogs will step up and fill Jack's role. Black Jack will live on in the Lightfoot pedigrees forever.

Black Jack coming in and going out in Style.

Black Jack treed a week ago. The last one I got to enjoy with him.

208-267-1186
Home of:
Idaho Tapp Out Sniper
Idaho Lightfoot Kinder
Former Home of:
Idaho Lightfoot Black Jack
Idaho Lightfoot Blitz
Idaho Lightfoot Snapshot
Idaho Lightfoot Whiplash
Idaho Lightfoot Gambler

Last edited by Dustin Myers on 12-17-2008 at 04:25 AM

Old Post 12-17-2008 04:18 AM
Dustin Myers is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dustin Myers Click here to Send Dustin Myers a Private Message Click Here to Email Dustin Myers Find more posts by Dustin Myers Add Dustin Myers to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bluedawg1992
UKC Forum Member

I'm Sorry For your loss... The good Ones are always the first too go.

Old Post 12-18-2008 06:12 AM
bluedawg1992 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bluedawg1992 Click here to Send bluedawg1992 a Private Message Click Here to Email bluedawg1992 Find more posts by bluedawg1992 Add bluedawg1992 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wilson
UKC Forum Member

I'm very sorry for your loss. He was a beautiful hound to look at. I just a rabbit hunter that enjoys reading a looking at the big game site. It always seems that the great ones are taken from us way to early. I hope that you got a few pups out of him. RIP Black Jack.

Old Post 01-02-2009 02:26 AM
wilson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wilson Click here to Send wilson a Private Message Click Here to Email wilson Find more posts by wilson Add wilson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
STAR
UKC Forum Member

Sad News

Sorry to hear about Black Jack , like others have posted always enjoyed the pictures and tales of your hunts with Jack , he was a beauty , Paul Currie @Solid Northern Kennel , Ontario .

Old Post 01-02-2009 11:07 AM
STAR is offline Click Here to See the Profile for STAR Click here to Send STAR a Private Message Find more posts by STAR Add STAR to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bigskyblue
UKC Forum Member

Sorry to hear about your dog. We all know there is some risk when we turn loose, but it sucks when something actually happens. Never easy losing a hunting buddy. So sorry!

Love our Blues!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Post 01-02-2009 10:30 PM
bigskyblue is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bigskyblue Click here to Send bigskyblue a Private Message Click Here to Email bigskyblue Find more posts by bigskyblue Add bigskyblue to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bluedog4
New UKC Forum Member

Brian so sorry to hear about your loss of Black Jack. I know you have allot of other outstanding dogs but a loss of a faithful friend can never be replaced.
How is Sage and her pups doing so far this season?

Old Post 01-06-2009 02:59 AM
bluedog4 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bluedog4 Click here to Send bluedog4 a Private Message Click Here to Email bluedog4 Find more posts by bluedog4 Add bluedog4 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Eric Muff
New UKC Forum Member

Hi Shane,

I have one of Sages pups,a blue male.He is doing well for his age and stage of mental development,still a big dumb youngster.He is showing well on the track and has been on a couple of trees where he did his part very well for 8 months old.A very easy handling dog that shows his heritage in being very independant,a good thing but also very stubborn,not so good but beatable.All in all he looks like he will have the right stuff when he grows up.
How you doing up there,catching the odd one?

Eric

Old Post 01-06-2009 03:32 AM
Eric Muff is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Eric Muff Click here to Send Eric Muff a Private Message Find more posts by Eric Muff Add Eric Muff to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Brian Chorney
UKC Forum Member

Hey Shane, thanks for the kind words. Sage and the gang have done very well this season so far. The pups are doing better than average in running and at the tree. The pups were 7 months old on the 1st.
Brian

Old Post 01-06-2009 06:16 AM
Brian Chorney is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Brian Chorney Click here to Send Brian Chorney a Private Message Click Here to Email Brian Chorney Find more posts by Brian Chorney Add Brian Chorney to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bluedog4
New UKC Forum Member

Good to hear from you guys, also good to hear that the young ones are starting to fire. I have had a good season so far treeing six but I haven't put one on the ground yet. Treed some nice males which I'm hoping will turn into monsters in a few years.
I bought one of those Steve Morrow (Saltlick Kennel Majestics) pups before I knew Brian had breed Sage and well he's a giant but one of the smartest easyest handling pups I have ever owned.
He has been to three trees so far and is starting to show promise. Billy turned 8 months on Dec 18th.
As we all know the Lancasters run Majestics and my old neigbour Drew Ramsey and his father run really big dogs as well and I have to say the cold doesn't bother these dogs as much as it does our leaner tighter built dogs and I know you guys know what I'm talking about when I say cold!!
I think some day I would like to start a breeding program to develop a medium to large Big Game Hound with a thick heavy pelt for this Northern Hunting

Old Post 01-06-2009 01:57 PM
bluedog4 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bluedog4 Click here to Send bluedog4 a Private Message Click Here to Email bluedog4 Find more posts by bluedog4 Add bluedog4 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote