UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Off Topic > Well I said I wouldn’t ever again but !
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
yadkintar
Banned

Well I said I wouldn’t ever again but !

Purina came out with two new kinds of dog chow chicken and beef. Corey has been feeding the chicken he said they love it and not much clean up. I bought some yesterday if it works out it will beat that $40 for 40 pounds stuff. They went up on price twice on me.

Tar

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-19-2019 12:05 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nitehunter2004
UKC Forum Member

So what do they charge every one else?

Old Post 06-19-2019 12:35 PM
nitehunter2004 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nitehunter2004 Click here to Send nitehunter2004 a Private Message Find more posts by nitehunter2004 Add nitehunter2004 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

The same !! But every time a dog food gets popular the bags get smaller and the price goes up.

Price gouging!!

Tar

Old Post 06-19-2019 12:40 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Driftwoodblue
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
The same !! But every time a dog food gets popular the bags get smaller and the price goes up.

Price gouging!!

Tar

they sure do but the buggers sure do not give more for our corn,wheat and soybeans!

Old Post 06-19-2019 01:32 PM
Driftwoodblue is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Driftwoodblue Click here to Send Driftwoodblue a Private Message Find more posts by Driftwoodblue Add Driftwoodblue to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

They do have to pay more for the chicken and beef however. The chicken fat used to be a "by product" until Tyson figured out that they could sell it to dog food companies. The dog food companies have to pay more for all of that fat and protein content. But Purina doesn't have an excuse for the higher price of the green bag other than they just can.

Old Post 06-19-2019 01:50 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Todd K / UKC
Administrator

I've probably told this story before but....one of the top winningest dogs on the NSTRA circuit was fed Dog Chow his whole life. I watched that old Setter win a trial in Florida running 2.5 hours in 80+ degree sunshine at the age of 10. I asked the owner why Dog Chow and he said that's what the dog likes. lol Made an impression on me.

Old Post 06-19-2019 03:04 PM
Todd K / UKC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Todd K / UKC Click here to Send Todd K / UKC a Private Message Click Here to Email Todd K / UKC Find more posts by Todd K / UKC Add Todd K / UKC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

Purina Dog Chow is mostly what I've fed for over 50 years. It's not good enough for my wife's lap dog that sleeps 22 hours a day. I think that $1.50 per pound food makes him sleep sounder.

Old Post 06-19-2019 03:16 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

I have always wondered how dogs can do just as good on 21% Dog Chow as they do on 27-30% high priced dog food. Is all of that protein and fat for the dogs or for the owners? Why don't dog food companies do a study to find out just how much protein a dog actually requires. They can tell you exactly what the minimum daily requirement or MDR is for all vitamins and minerals but I have never seen a study showing the MDR of protein and fat. And I have never seen a study showing how many calories are in a cup of each dog food.

Old Post 06-19-2019 03:25 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J Gearing
UKC Forum Member

Not sure about dog food studies but calorie content is no secret. Just have to do a little looking. No dog food ever made a sorry dog any better.

Old Post 06-19-2019 04:26 PM
J Gearing is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J Gearing Click here to Send J Gearing a Private Message Click Here to Email J Gearing Find more posts by J Gearing Add J Gearing to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KYHoundDawg
UKC Forum Member

Agreed! But we gotta watch our dogs and how much we are hunting them. If you are training for a marathon you ain’t eating the same as when you spend the month on the couch!

quote:
Originally posted by J Gearing
Not sure about dog food studies but calorie content is no secret. Just have to do a little looking. No dog food ever made a sorry dog any better.

PR B&B Docs Buzzed Again

Past Hounds
PR Horsefly Hollow Pepper, passed with a 1st and HTX pass
GRCH NITCH PR Allens Nationwide Suckerpunch HTX
GrCH2 NITCH PR Brockman's Remington Clover HTX

GRCH GRNITCH PKC SCH PR Brockman’s Blue Buzz HTX (semen available)
BBOA
502-417-2086

Old Post 06-19-2019 05:30 PM
KYHoundDawg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for KYHoundDawg Click here to Send KYHoundDawg a Private Message Click Here to Email KYHoundDawg Find more posts by KYHoundDawg Add KYHoundDawg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

When I started I fed the old Purina field and farm hunted dogs 6 nights a week on it. Then I fed the dog chow in the summer and the high pro in the winter. They quit making the high pro but I will just feed the dog chow and see how they do.

Tar

Old Post 06-19-2019 05:56 PM
high ridge
UKC Forum Member

All I have fed is dog chow for years
The beef I tried when it came out. Crapped my dogs like a goose
The chicken is awesome

Old Post 06-19-2019 07:00 PM
high ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for high ridge Click here to Send high ridge a Private Message Click Here to Email high ridge Find more posts by high ridge Add high ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BigContry
UKC Forum Member

quote:

Price gouging!!

Tar

Thank you, the feed I was using was some great stuff, but the price keeps going up. they changed the bag, and a price increase followed, then a while later, it went up again. $50.00 for 40 lbs was too much for me. I sent them an email and told them I was feeding dog, not kids. they basically said, oh well the price is the price.

Old Post 06-19-2019 08:03 PM
BigContry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BigContry Click here to Send BigContry a Private Message Click Here to Email BigContry Find more posts by BigContry Add BigContry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BigContry
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc
Purina Dog Chow is mostly what I've fed for over 50 years. It's not good enough for my wife's lap dog that sleeps 22 hours a day. I think that $1.50 per pound food makes him sleep sounder.

Boy Boy Boy lolllll Im going to tell her you said that too. I'm getting all kinds stuff to bribe you with. lol

Old Post 06-19-2019 08:06 PM
BigContry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BigContry Click here to Send BigContry a Private Message Click Here to Email BigContry Find more posts by BigContry Add BigContry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Tommy we paid 50 cents a gallon for gas back in the day. We had a drip hose on the old oil well behind the house we got all we wanted. What makes gas cost $2.00 more a gallon now ? Fancy sack on dog food ain’t worth $20 more to me lol.

Tar

Old Post 06-19-2019 08:23 PM
l p w
UKC Forum Member

Dog chow

That is what I feed my dogs the dog chow chicken it's good feed. I think you will like it

Old Post 06-19-2019 08:23 PM
l p w is offline Click Here to See the Profile for l p w Click here to Send l p w a Private Message Click Here to Email l p w Find more posts by l p w Add l p w to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

Re: Well I said I wouldn’t ever again but !

quote:
Purina came out with two new kinds of dog chow chicken and beef. Corey has been feeding the chicken he said they love it and not much clean up. I bought some yesterday if it works out it will beat that $40 for 40 pounds stuff. They went up on price twice on me.

Tar

Dog food threads are my favorite

Old Post 06-19-2019 08:27 PM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cowboyred
UKC Forum Member

quote:
When I started I fed the old Purina field and farm hunted dogs 6 nights a week on it. Then I fed the dog chow in the summer and the high pro in the winter. They quit making the high pro but I will just feed the dog chow and see how they do.

Tar

i FED THE SAME TWO FEEDS FOR YEARS, NEVER COULD UNDERSTAND WHY THEY STOPPED MAKING THEM...DECENT FEED AT A REASONABLE PRICE?

Old Post 06-19-2019 11:39 PM
Cowboyred is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cowboyred Click here to Send Cowboyred a Private Message Find more posts by Cowboyred Add Cowboyred to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mike Reynolds
UKC Forum Member

I have fed purina a long time. Mostly dog chow. Been feeding the beef formula the last couple months. Not sure if true but I have read a few places where beef as a protein source is not as hot on a dog as chicken is. So figured I would try it this summer. My dogs have done well on it. Only hunting 3-4 nights a week right now though.

Also just redeemed my purina points the other day. I needed a new alpha and I liked 50 dollars of paying for it with purina points. Thats a big bonus to me.

Last edited by Mike Reynolds on 06-20-2019 at 01:16 AM

Old Post 06-20-2019 01:09 AM
Mike Reynolds is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mike Reynolds Click here to Send Mike Reynolds a Private Message Click Here to Email Mike Reynolds Find more posts by Mike Reynolds Add Mike Reynolds to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pigsit
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Tommy we paid 50 cents a gallon for gas back in the day. We had a drip hose on the old oil well behind the house we got all we wanted. What makes gas cost $2.00 more a gallon now ? Fancy sack on dog food ain’t worth $20 more to me lol. When you were paying 50 cents a gallon, the price of crude was $5.00 a barrel, now its twelve times that and gas is only five times what it was, so you're getting a bargain.

Tar

Dual GRNTCH Wendy
GRNTCH Cola
GrNtCH Honky Tonk Rock and Roll
Dual GRCH Bumper
Dual CH June
Dual CH Jill

Old Post 06-20-2019 01:38 AM
pigsit is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pigsit Click here to Send pigsit a Private Message Click Here to Email pigsit Find more posts by pigsit Add pigsit to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I got a freind that retired from Valero he still won’t tell me how many gallons of gas a barrel of oil makes and their cost of a gallon of gas.

You think they got $40 in a 40 lb sack of dog food ? That dog chow cost me $26 for 55 lbs and it looks the same in the shovel to me lol.

And the dogs do well on it.

Tar

Old Post 06-20-2019 01:52 AM
Hittman
UKC Forum Member

My grandpa swore by purina dog chow. It's all I have ever feed. One coffee can a day. My dog do just as good if not better than them dogs on that $50 bag of 40 pounds. I pay $27 for 55 pounds of feed.

Old Post 06-20-2019 02:10 AM
Hittman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hittman Click here to Send Hittman a Private Message Click Here to Email Hittman Find more posts by Hittman Add Hittman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hittman
UKC Forum Member

I flipped a bag of victor over and purina. Victor has a little more but not enough to matter.

Old Post 06-20-2019 02:12 AM
Hittman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hittman Click here to Send Hittman a Private Message Click Here to Email Hittman Find more posts by Hittman Add Hittman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Roy Grant
UKC Forum Member

22 bucks for 52 lbs. at walmart. 1 lb a day. should cut back dogs lppk good

Old Post 06-20-2019 02:40 AM
Roy Grant is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Roy Grant Click here to Send Roy Grant a Private Message Click Here to Email Roy Grant Find more posts by Roy Grant Add Roy Grant to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Dog feed

We have been misled by the advertising gimmicks, Dog Chow is good enough for most dogs that do not have any allergies. Paying over a dollar a pound for dog feed is just plain silly. Higher protein levels are hard on a dogs kidneys. I feed Dog Chow now and my dogs look great. Dave

Old Post 06-20-2019 05:46 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote