UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Garmin Tip of the Day
Pages (17): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Bruce M. Conkey

Contact garmin at 1800-800-1020 they can replace it.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-26-2015 11:26 PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce M. Conkey

Contact garmin at 1800-800-1020 they can replace it.

Old Post 08-26-2015 11:26 PM
spookyhollowduk
UKC Forum Member

I know this is possible cause I've done it before but some how my 320 got re set. But I cant remember how to get it to show the distance of the dogs while your looking at birds eye view map?

Old Post 08-27-2015 01:31 AM
spookyhollowduk is offline Click Here to See the Profile for spookyhollowduk Click here to Send spookyhollowduk a Private Message Click Here to Email spookyhollowduk Find more posts by spookyhollowduk Add spookyhollowduk to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce M. Conkey

Select map
Menu
Dog setup
Show dog distance

Think that will get it if not let me know and I will play with one and figure it out.

Old Post 08-27-2015 02:44 AM
spookyhollowduk
UKC Forum Member

Thank u!

Old Post 08-27-2015 03:15 AM
spookyhollowduk is offline Click Here to See the Profile for spookyhollowduk Click here to Send spookyhollowduk a Private Message Click Here to Email spookyhollowduk Find more posts by spookyhollowduk Add spookyhollowduk to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BooneMcCrary
UKC Forum Member

Ok Bruce, I have an Astro 320 and I use 5 DC40 collars, just recently one of the collars froze, it would show the dog not moving, and at the same place, yet it didn't show a question mark where it had lost signal???? I know the dog was not standing still also lol on the same hunt, one of my other collars would track the dog, and show where it was, but if you went to the dogs info, it showed the dog had traveled a distance of 0.....also it would lose communication alot as well.......on 4 out of the 5 DC40 collars has the orange long range antennas, the one collar has a stock antenna....all 5 have problems losing signal alot, is there a way to fix this???

Basically my questions were:
(1) What's wrong with the collar freezing and not moving but still showing connected?

(2) What's wrong with the collar that works, but when you go to info, it shows the distance traveled as Zero?

(3) Is there a way to make my DC40's have better range, and less dropped signals?

Thanks

GrNiteCh CLEAR TIMBER CLASSY SASSY

Old Post 08-27-2015 10:32 AM
BooneMcCrary is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BooneMcCrary Click here to Send BooneMcCrary a Private Message Click Here to Email BooneMcCrary Find more posts by BooneMcCrary Add BooneMcCrary to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce M. Conkey

There are a lot of reasons why all of this can be happening but there are only a few things you can do and sounds like most have been done.

First of all the collars communicate with the handheld through the VHF or long antenna on the collar and whatever antenna you have on the handheld. Hopefully when you put the long antennas on the collars you also added a longer antenna to the handheld. If not that is like increasing the horsepower in your car 200 hp and keeping the same weak transmission and expecting performance out of it.

What wasn't mentioned is if your running other tracking collars or shocking collars on the dogs also. How you put them on the dog affects things.

Here is all you can do. Check and clean the antenna connection on each collar. I would expect the black original one is broken inside close to the base. Update each collar. You could also go as far as taking the battery housing apart and seeing if there is any corrosion on board and cleaning with electronic contact cleaner. The DC 40 have been good for a lot of people but many experienced the same thing you are and weren't very happy with them.

Couple other things that can affect them is the Light some coonhunters use, or the connection on the handheld.
I have seen a lot of DC 40 go through what you are experiencing and then the cleaning and new antennas give them new life but the processor can't handle it and they go completely dead. Won't turn on and won't charge.
You can get them replace through garmin using their repair program and you can find the updated pricing on their website. Call 1800-800-1020

Old Post 08-27-2015 01:13 PM
BooneMcCrary
UKC Forum Member

You were correct on the factory antenna, it was broke close to the base, but you couldn't tell because of the rubber cover.......I have a long antenna on my garmin as well, It's always been on there.....Thanks Bruce, oh yea, I was also running telemetry tracking collars as well......like always wile bear hunting.....The long antenna on my garmin handheld has the little tip gone off of it, but I wouldn't expect that to hurt anything???....Thanks Bruce

Last edited by BooneMcCrary on 08-27-2015 at 01:41 PM

Old Post 08-27-2015 01:38 PM
BooneMcCrary is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BooneMcCrary Click here to Send BooneMcCrary a Private Message Click Here to Email BooneMcCrary Find more posts by BooneMcCrary Add BooneMcCrary to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dustin Wilson
UKC Forum Member

I am subscribed to birdseye imagery, it takes a while to download anything. Is there preloaded sd cards with birdseye on them or is downloading through garmin basecamp the only option?

Old Post 08-27-2015 01:45 PM
Dustin Wilson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dustin Wilson Click here to Send Dustin Wilson a Private Message Click Here to Email Dustin Wilson Find more posts by Dustin Wilson Add Dustin Wilson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce M. Conkey

Mr Boone
Tip won't matter. I always put the garmin collar closer to the dogs head. If you put it on first and then the other collar over it you sandwich it between the telemetry collar and dogs body and it tends to block the GPS signal that comes from the end of the collar.

Old Post 08-27-2015 05:00 PM
Bruce M. Conkey

They have preloaded cards for certain states. Right now they are only western states. Avoid downloading cities and it works a lot better.

Old Post 08-27-2015 05:01 PM
ruttinbuck
UKC Forum Member

garmin

Bruce can you post a picture of the new mini's
next to the standard ones ? Also have you heard
when they will be available ?
Thanks

Old Post 08-27-2015 05:56 PM
ruttinbuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ruttinbuck Click here to Send ruttinbuck a Private Message Click Here to Email ruttinbuck Find more posts by ruttinbuck Add ruttinbuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dustin Wilson
UKC Forum Member

10-4 thanks for the info

Old Post 08-27-2015 05:58 PM
Dustin Wilson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dustin Wilson Click here to Send Dustin Wilson a Private Message Click Here to Email Dustin Wilson Find more posts by Dustin Wilson Add Dustin Wilson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce M. Conkey

Old Post 08-27-2015 07:05 PM
ruttinbuck
UKC Forum Member

Garmin

Thanks Bruce
What did they do to downsize them ?
What is the battery life compared the normal size?

Old Post 08-27-2015 11:21 PM
ruttinbuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ruttinbuck Click here to Send ruttinbuck a Private Message Click Here to Email ruttinbuck Find more posts by ruttinbuck Add ruttinbuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Bruce, why don't you give us some tips on how to "use" your Garmin during a hunt to gain some sort of advantage like some of these people think that everyone is doing? When I first read the Topic of this thread, I thought that was what it was going to do.

Old Post 08-28-2015 12:44 AM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
Bruce, why don't you give us some tips on how to "use" your Garmin during a hunt to gain some sort of advantage like some of these people think that everyone is doing? When I first read the Topic of this thread, I thought that was what it was going to do.

Richard I have to admit, this is funny

Old Post 08-28-2015 01:05 AM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce M. Conkey

A judge with a Garmin has an advantage over the rest of the cast.

I would love to see stats on the percentage of cast won by judges before and after Garmin.

Last edited by on 08-28-2015 at 01:40 AM

Old Post 08-28-2015 01:36 AM
Bruce M. Conkey

You can send it back to Garmin for replacement. 1800-800-1020
You can try taking the battery housing apart and see if there is any moisture inside and cleaning the electronic board with contact cleaner.

Updating the collar is something that Garmin will recommend.

Old Post 08-31-2015 02:57 PM
BooneMcCrary
UKC Forum Member

My DC-40 still tracks and shows distance, however, it freezes up alot, and still shows the collar connected......If you go to the info page for the dog, it shows distance traveled as 0, and average speed as 0... any ideas?

Old Post 08-31-2015 03:53 PM
Wes D.
UKC Forum Member

Where is a guy to find replacement screws for a dc50. Thanks

Old Post 08-31-2015 03:58 PM
Wes D. is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Wes D. Click here to Send Wes D. a Private Message Find more posts by Wes D. Add Wes D. to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce M. Conkey

Wes after you called I thought of something. Ace Hardware carries a lot of these screws. If you had one the same size as the one your lost or messed up they may have it.

Old Post 08-31-2015 04:00 PM
Wes D.
UKC Forum Member

Thanks bruce i will see what they have. I dont know how 2 scews a 1/2'' long backed out without seeing them.

Old Post 08-31-2015 04:05 PM
Wes D. is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Wes D. Click here to Send Wes D. a Private Message Find more posts by Wes D. Add Wes D. to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jculler8
UKC Forum Member

DC-50 and Astro 320.

Can't get my bark detector to pick up and either of my 2 50's.

Any ideas???

Thanks in advance!

HOME OF

PKC CH GRNITECH GRCH 'PR' OAKS POINT COON BUSTIN' BELLE HTX 2013 UKC Top 100 (May 2006-January 2017)

'PR' OAKS POINT STRIKE-EM OUT BEAU (May 2006-June 2016)

PKC CH NITECH GRCH 'PR' COON BUSTIN' WHITE STUFF

CH 'PR' GOLD RUSH EXPO

'PR' BLACK KNIGHT'S BALU JETTA (May 2013-October 2015)

CH 'PR' CHERRY CREEK XBOX 2016 Treeing Walker Days King of Show

Old Post 08-31-2015 11:17 PM
jculler8 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jculler8 Click here to Send jculler8 a Private Message Click Here to Email jculler8 Visit jculler8's homepage! Find more posts by jculler8 Add jculler8 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jculler8
UKC Forum Member

DC-50 and Astro 320.

Can't get my bark detector to pick up on either of my 2 50's.

Any ideas???

Thanks in advance!

HOME OF

PKC CH GRNITECH GRCH 'PR' OAKS POINT COON BUSTIN' BELLE HTX 2013 UKC Top 100 (May 2006-January 2017)

'PR' OAKS POINT STRIKE-EM OUT BEAU (May 2006-June 2016)

PKC CH NITECH GRCH 'PR' COON BUSTIN' WHITE STUFF

CH 'PR' GOLD RUSH EXPO

'PR' BLACK KNIGHT'S BALU JETTA (May 2013-October 2015)

CH 'PR' CHERRY CREEK XBOX 2016 Treeing Walker Days King of Show

Old Post 08-31-2015 11:17 PM
jculler8 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jculler8 Click here to Send jculler8 a Private Message Click Here to Email jculler8 Visit jculler8's homepage! Find more posts by jculler8 Add jculler8 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote