UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Houndsman XP Podcast Important Message.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Houndsman XP Podcast Important Message.

In the last XP Podcast with Allen there was a good message worth repeating. The discussion of the upcoming Autumn Oaks and the amount of people that come into the area and have an impact while hunting the week before. Prompted Chris Powell to share with everyone the importance of getting a hunting license. The reasons are two fold. First to prevent anyone from be ticketed. Which cost the person extra money and brings a black eye to the sport. But the most important point in my opinion that Chris made. Was the benefit to having a record of the financial impact that coon hunting had on the area. This is important when coon hunting comes under fire. The financial impact to an area including hotels, food, gas and license goes a long ways in keeping a sport going and growing.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-17-2019 09:15 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Allen / UKC
Administrator

Agreed. Chris made an excellent point about that. And the thing is; a five-day hunting permit from the IDNR is very affordable.

Old Post 07-17-2019 09:42 PM
Allen / UKC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Allen / UKC Click here to Send Allen / UKC a Private Message Click Here to Email Allen / UKC Find more posts by Allen / UKC Add Allen / UKC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HOBO
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Allen / UKC
Agreed. Chris made an excellent point about that. And the thing is; a five-day hunting permit from the IDNR is very affordable.

$31 unless its gone up since last Fall.

Ch.Swampmusic Lil Bit Sassy
Ch.Swampmusic Misty Shadow
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Boone
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Pride

But Looking To The Future...

Nt.Ch.Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Big Hoss

Dennis Robinson
Cell 540-295-3892

Old Post 07-17-2019 10:06 PM
HOBO is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HOBO Click here to Send HOBO a Private Message Click Here to Email HOBO Visit HOBO's homepage! Find more posts by HOBO Add HOBO to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BigContry
UKC Forum Member

I was under the impression, that participation in a UKC event, you didn’t need a non-resident license. I thought that it was an agreement between the UKC and the DNR of each state.

Old Post 07-18-2019 12:39 PM
BigContry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BigContry Click here to Send BigContry a Private Message Click Here to Email BigContry Find more posts by BigContry Add BigContry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

BigCountry you are correct and that is why UKC has added some more events during the week preceding AO. To give hunters more opportunity to hunt. But everyone that comes to the area is not in one of the Licensed hunts. Those people who hunt with buddies or find land they can hunt on and are from out of State. They are the ones that it is being suggested to purchase a license and be legal and do the right things for the future of the sport.

Old Post 07-18-2019 01:12 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

Yep buy license and enjoy your hunt. First time I went to Michigan the gentleman I was hunting with said don't worry you don't need a license. The land laid in one mile square blocks and every time a vehicle turned the corner and swept headlights the gentleman hollared hide its the gamewarden. Never been as uncomfortable hunting as I was that night. Needless to say next day I went and got a permit.

Old Post 07-18-2019 03:23 PM
yadkinriver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GCH Viper
UKC Forum Member

License

Ok so I'm a little confused? I also listened to the podcast and heard Allen state the reason for the warm up hunts were to give those guys as a legal avenue to hunt prior to the autumn oaks. But then I also heard Chris make the comment that those guys were hunting illegally?? Maybe I heard it wrong? I've been out of the game a while and just started back but I have hunted in several different states in nite hunts over the past years. Never bought a license unless I was gonna be pleasure hunting. I have heard the stories of guys getting ticketed in a nite hunt though? Could someone that knows the law please explain. It would be awesome if Allen and/or Chris could comment on this. Makes no difference to me. I just wanna be legal. I tune my dog at home and travel to hunt in the hunt. Never crossed my mind I would potentially need a license for that.
Thanks

Last edited by GCH Viper on 07-19-2019 at 03:51 PM

Old Post 07-19-2019 02:24 PM
GCH Viper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GCH Viper Click here to Send GCH Viper a Private Message Find more posts by GCH Viper Add GCH Viper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HOBO
UKC Forum Member

I’m 99% sure they are talking about the guys going out and pleasure hunting the week of Oaks. Every year I went out and hunted you always heard stories of guys getting caught pleasure hunting without a license. Even heard stories of them flying around in a helicopter and then sending in wardens on the ground to check guys out.
If you’re in a license hunt you don’t need the out of state license.

Ch.Swampmusic Lil Bit Sassy
Ch.Swampmusic Misty Shadow
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Boone
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Pride

But Looking To The Future...

Nt.Ch.Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Big Hoss

Dennis Robinson
Cell 540-295-3892

Old Post 07-19-2019 04:07 PM
HOBO is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HOBO Click here to Send HOBO a Private Message Click Here to Email HOBO Visit HOBO's homepage! Find more posts by HOBO Add HOBO to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Viper you heard it correct. Those involved in an official permitted night hunt are exempt. Like you said. Allen spoke about that and the reason to have warm up hunts.

Chris spoke about those just camping and having a good time and deciding to pleasure hunt. Their pleasure hunts should include a license. Not only because it is the right thing to do. But because the documentation of the impact that AO has one the economy for the area. Hopefully to be used in a positive way.

Viper just about every state game commission works with the KC's to give them an exempt status of out of state license during an official hunt. When you hear about ticketing at one of these hunts. The main reason would be that the club or organization did not contact the game commission and get the permit. Which is free in my State.

Two things have happened lately and brings a black eye to the sport. The Club doesn't take on the responsibility to get a permit. Or it doesn't take on the responsibility of having guides hunting land they have permission to hunt. A mistake in either area can result in a ticket.

I can speak only for FL as I worked for years back in the late 80's and 90's securing permits for our local club.

Last edited by Bruce m. Conkey on 07-19-2019 at 06:07 PM

Old Post 07-19-2019 06:01 PM
sox12
UKC Forum Member

I buy a yearly license

CH Nt. Ch.PR Wandering Red & RR Bucksaw (GRCHGRNTCH Raged Ridge Rip X Grand Nite Raged Ridge Toadie )
GRNTCH.GRCh.PR Steffes' Whizz Bang[GRNTCH Big Walnut BooneXGRNTCH Raged Ridge Toadie]
GRCH.Wandering Red Pepper
GRCH.Wandering Red Honeys Sweety Pie

RIP
GR.NT.CH.GR.CH.PR Steffes wandering Red Tinkerbell {GRCHGRNTCH Raged Ridge RipsawXGRNTCH Ragged Ridge Toadie]

Old Post 07-20-2019 12:43 AM
sox12 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sox12 Click here to Send sox12 a Private Message Click Here to Email sox12 Find more posts by sox12 Add sox12 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Allen / UKC
Administrator

Re: .

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce m. Conkey
Viper you heard it correct. Those involved in an official permitted night hunt are exempt. Like you said. Allen spoke about that and the reason to have warm up hunts.

Chris spoke about those just camping and having a good time and deciding to pleasure hunt. Their pleasure hunts should include a license. Not only because it is the right thing to do. But because the documentation of the impact that AO has one the economy for the area. Hopefully to be used in a positive way.

Viper just about every state game commission works with the KC's to give them an exempt status of out of state license during an official hunt. When you hear about ticketing at one of these hunts. The main reason would be that the club or organization did not contact the game commission and get the permit. Which is free in my State.

Two things have happened lately and brings a black eye to the sport. The Club doesn't take on the responsibility to get a permit. Or it doesn't take on the responsibility of having guides hunting land they have permission to hunt. A mistake in either area can result in a ticket.

I can speak only for FL as I worked for years back in the late 80's and 90's securing permits for our local club.

Bruce and others are correct. You don't need a license if your competing in a licensed nite hunt but you do in fact need a license otherwise.

Old Post 07-22-2019 04:03 PM
Allen / UKC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Allen / UKC Click here to Send Allen / UKC a Private Message Click Here to Email Allen / UKC Find more posts by Allen / UKC Add Allen / UKC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote