UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > to hot to hunt
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
PJ SPANGLER
UKC Forum Member

to hot to hunt

to hot to get the dogs out 91 today with a heat index of 100 . is anybody hunting in this heat

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-11-2019 03:27 AM
PJ SPANGLER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for PJ SPANGLER Click here to Send PJ SPANGLER a Private Message Click Here to Email PJ SPANGLER Find more posts by PJ SPANGLER Add PJ SPANGLER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blacksc1
UKC Forum Member

turned out for the first time since March tonight, cut a couple of puppies out and put one up. It was 94 when I put the box in the truck, no clue what the heat index was but I was sweating. Standing at the tree I remembered why I don’t hunt in the summer, dang spider webs and bugs and drenched in sweat. Turned out right before dark and just made it back to the house.

Old Post 07-11-2019 04:03 AM
blacksc1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blacksc1 Click here to Send blacksc1 a Private Message Click Here to Email blacksc1 Find more posts by blacksc1 Add blacksc1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JasperBlue18
UKC Forum Member

Re: to hot to hunt

quote:
Originally posted by PJ SPANGLER
to hot to get the dogs out 91 today with a heat index of 100 . is anybody hunting in this heat

I go almost every night. If not every night six nights a week

Old Post 07-11-2019 02:46 PM
JasperBlue18 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JasperBlue18 Click here to Send JasperBlue18 a Private Message Find more posts by JasperBlue18 Add JasperBlue18 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rolin Blues
UKC Forum Member

heat

Plenty warm & sticky, but with these new young dogs needing hunted, it's time to get off the couch. 2 grand kids & couple of younger buddies to help out sure don't hurt, so I can be the wheel man & drive around to pick them up.

Been turning loose a little later & along water with mulberry trees in area & you're guaranteed to hit tracks quick here in Iowa. Grass & weeds are usually wet by 10:30, so just cut'em & plan on getting treed quick. Life is good, if ya don't have to sweat too much!!! Take care, Ron.

Old Post 07-11-2019 08:37 PM
Rolin Blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rolin Blues Click here to Send Rolin Blues a Private Message Find more posts by Rolin Blues Add Rolin Blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Hunting

Lol. Back in my younger days, I hunted year around. I did not pay much attention to the heat then, now I only hunt in the Fall and Winter months. I do not miss hunting in the summertime, it was not much fun, but we thought we had to keep our dogs in the woods back then. I can see hunting pups and young started dogs in the summer, but the old dogs and old hunters do not need the summer hunting. Lol. Dave

Old Post 07-11-2019 09:11 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Darren Hollis
UKC Forum Member

HUNT

Been hunting 4 nights a week. Ticks. mosquitos, spiders, snakes, blackberry briars, and sweating my butt off in Alabama. Hunting is not for the faint of heart right now. We can't get after decent tracks in the timber and just go cut them in the cutovers. Make 2 drops and look at the watch and it is 12:00. have to be at work at 6:00 am. Drag around and drink 2 red bulls and swear I ain't going tonight but load em up at dark and do it all over again!!

HOME OF:
GrChGrNtCh PR Southern Blue S&H’s Goose (Sparks&Hollis)
GrChGrNtCh PR Southern Blue Hardwood Cotton
GrNtCh PR Mose's Pink Floyd ( Co-Owned with Scott V)
Ch GrNtCh PR Frost Hollow Strap
ChNtCh PR Southern Blue Hardwood Dolly
ChGrNtCh PR Southern Blue Spanky ( Hollis & Hollis)
PR Southern Blue Cobb (NtChCh Uchtmans Andy x Ratliffs Blue Tell)
PR Southern Blue Betsy (Goose x Dual Grand Cotton)
(REST IN PEACE)
GrNtChGrCh PR Southern Blue Moonshine
GrNtChGrCh PR Southern Blue Frostbite
NtChGrCh PR Southern Blue Queen
NtChGrCh PR Blue Eyes Blue Jessie
NtCh PR Southern Frost Hollow Blue Bell(BB)
NtCh PR Southern Blue Hammer
NtCh PR Hollis' Southern Blue Maggie
NtCh PR Hollis' Bull Mtn. Pearl
GrCh PR Southern Blue Jet
PR Southern Blue Sam
PR Southern Blue Rattler
GrChGrNtCh PR Lovell’s Smokey River Blue Ann

Old Post 07-11-2019 10:12 PM
Darren Hollis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Darren Hollis Click here to Send Darren Hollis a Private Message Click Here to Email Darren Hollis Find more posts by Darren Hollis Add Darren Hollis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bill(Chew)
UKC Forum Member

Where I hunt it's flat, thick, humid, and hot! Right now I want to hunt but I would kill two of my dogs in this heat and the two young dogs need treeing to be fun, not an over heating ordeal. When I lived near Raleigh I hunted all summer by picking cool nights and hunting open woods with hills. Hunting where I hunt now is hell on tree dogs and often to hot on running dogs.

Old Post 07-12-2019 04:19 AM
Bill(Chew) is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bill(Chew) Click here to Send Bill(Chew) a Private Message Click Here to Email Bill(Chew) Find more posts by Bill(Chew) Add Bill(Chew) to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cry Tough Blues
UKC Forum Member

I’m with you Bill. It’s not worth getting the dogs overheated. They are hot enough in this heat just laying around their pens

Old Post 07-12-2019 06:02 PM
Cry Tough Blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cry Tough Blues Click here to Send Cry Tough Blues a Private Message Find more posts by Cry Tough Blues Add Cry Tough Blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Too hot to hunt so I have been working on my motorcycle the last 3 days. I stripped it down, pressure washed it, sanded it and then repainted it. Now I just hope that I remember how to put it back together so that it runs.

Old Post 07-12-2019 08:08 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chuck Allen
UKC Forum Member

July and most of August are the 2 months I hunt the least that is for sure. Maybe a 3 am - 5 am run once every 2 weeks on a cool morning but that is about it.

When the law of the land becomes unjust outlaws will rise to take their place in history.

Old Post 07-14-2019 04:22 AM
Chuck Allen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chuck Allen Click here to Send Chuck Allen a Private Message Find more posts by Chuck Allen Add Chuck Allen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
Too hot to hunt so I have been working on my motorcycle the last 3 days. I stripped it down, pressure washed it, sanded it and then repainted it. Now I just hope that I remember how to put it back together so that it runs.

On the car lots they call that retail red might be a good name for your next dog lol.

Tar

Old Post 07-14-2019 01:11 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

Hey Tar

I was in that neighborhood couple days ago and I think I saw him on his scoot and wearing his colors crossing the high ridge headed in the direction of Maggie Valley where they have the rallies.

Old Post 07-14-2019 02:19 PM
yadkinriver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

It rained yesterday afternoon and cooled off a little so I had the bright idea to go to an RQE last night. When I got there the rain had ended and the temp went right back to miserable. It was hotter at midnight than it was at 9 pm. My dog ran a coon in a cornfield for an hour and a half. Stupid Conn came out of the corn at one point, crossed through a patch of woods and back out into the corn. He was just playing with her. When he crossed a road, I finally caught her and came home. The other dogs had made a slick and a circle/slick.
I should have stayed home and worked on my hog. It is in the living room now where it is air conditioned. It was a 50 cc and 3 speed trans but I put a 70 cc motor with a four speed trans and a bigger carb on it. I still have to put a higher geared sprocket on it. With it being red, I hope that I don't get too many speeding tickets on it. Mr River, when I get it finished I am going to take it up and ride The Dragon's Tail and stop in Maggie Valley.

Last edited by Richard Lambert on 07-14-2019 at 06:23 PM

Old Post 07-14-2019 06:17 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
critter
UKC Forum Member

careful Richard

Watch it or they will be putting brindle stripes on that scooter!

Old Post 07-14-2019 07:08 PM
critter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for critter Click here to Send critter a Private Message Click Here to Email critter Find more posts by critter Add critter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

Richard you need a sidecar on that hog to tie a dog in. How long would it take you to get to Indiana ?

Old Post 07-14-2019 07:37 PM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Donnie, about 8 hrs, it will fit nicely on the back of my camper.

Old Post 07-15-2019 12:00 AM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

It is too hot for an old man to hunt, fish, camp or just be outside this week.

Old Post 07-18-2019 05:16 PM
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

Got the scoot looking pretty good. Might want to hardtail it and add a little rake and stretch. More of an easy rider

Old Post 07-18-2019 08:05 PM
yadkinriver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Been there and done that 50 yrs ago, too old now for laid back. I would probably fall off of the back. I think that it is time for a bobber. I have been looking at saddlebags.

Last edited by Richard Lambert on 07-19-2019 at 12:15 AM

Old Post 07-19-2019 12:13 AM
T Felderman
UKC Forum Member

HOT

Thought about getting up and going early in the morning. But I'll probably go to the local watering hole instead!

Old Post 07-19-2019 08:56 PM
T Felderman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for T Felderman Click here to Send T Felderman a Private Message Find more posts by T Felderman Add T Felderman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
T Felderman
UKC Forum Member

HOT

Thought about getting up and going early in the morning. But I'll probably go to the local watering hole instead!

Old Post 07-19-2019 08:56 PM
T Felderman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for T Felderman Click here to Send T Felderman a Private Message Find more posts by T Felderman Add T Felderman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rolin Blues
UKC Forum Member

'Watering Hole'!!!!

Ukc hunt at dark thirty tonight in Cascade, so take it easy at watering hole. That will only get you in trouble with little woman anyway. Going to get nice thunder storm in afternoon to cool it off, so it will be great hunting by dark, just like Wed. night. Take care, Ron.

Old Post 07-20-2019 06:25 AM
Rolin Blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rolin Blues Click here to Send Rolin Blues a Private Message Find more posts by Rolin Blues Add Rolin Blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote