UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Breeding a sire to his own granddaughter
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
GCH Viper
UKC Forum Member

Breeding a sire to his own granddaughter

Looking for thoughts on breeding a dog back to his own granddaughter. Would like to hear opinions/personal experiences.
This is a unique situation. Sorta like the Hardwood homer dog.
This dog breed his daughter years ago and has since died. I have semen on him and have located a granddaughter to him through the inbred/linebred cross on her fathers side. I am interested in trying a semen cross between the two.
This would make the dog I have the semen on the father on top. The great grandfather on the bottom side as well as the great great grandfather (both on the female I want to breed dads side).
I would also like to hear of any cross that would be similar to this. Possibly big money winning crosses.
Thanks and I look forward to any info.
Sorry I know this is a little confusing...

Last edited by GCH Viper on 07-01-2019 at 04:21 PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-01-2019 02:47 PM
GCH Viper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GCH Viper Click here to Send GCH Viper a Private Message Find more posts by GCH Viper Add GCH Viper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oklared
UKC Forum Member

GOOD CROSS

HOME OF 2010 HIGH SCOREING REDBONE FEMALE, DUAL CH Y2KD, #7 REPRODUCING RED FEMALE
NT.Ch. WINNER AT REDBONE SEC. 2008
3RD PL. NT.CH. 2009 BATTLE OF BREEDS AT ADA OKLA.
4TH PLACE R.Q.E 2010
2ND PLACE OVERALL AT ZONE 4 AND DOUBLE CAST WINNER 2010
WENT TO 2010 WORLD HUNT
AMERICAN REDBONE ASSOCIATION HIGH SCOREING REDBONE FEMALE OF THE 2010 WORLD HUNT
OVERALL HI SCOREING DOG AT 2010 BBCHA BLUE TIC SECTIONAL
GR.NT.CH. AT 12 and A HALF
MADE-EM SEE RED

Old Post 07-01-2019 07:19 PM
oklared is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oklared Click here to Send oklared a Private Message Click Here to Email oklared Find more posts by oklared Add oklared to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Autumn Clements
UKC Forum Member

I made a grandmother to grandson breeding with good resualts. Really comes down to what your doubling up on, their bad traits can you live with em

'PR'LEAD'S MIDNITE SASSY
CFC CH Canadian GCH Multi Group Placing MBPIG BBPIG LEGACYK STANNYFIELD PRIME TIME (AKC & UKC Pointed)
BPIG MBBPIG WINDAMIRS RED LIGHT DISTRICT V AMBERLANE
LEGACYK DARE TO DREAM V CBLUES
LEGACYK WHITE AS A GHOST V CBLUES

Gone but not forgotten
GRNITECH GRCH PKC CH'PR'CLEMENTS' BLUE PRANCER

GRNITECH GRCH'PR'SPIKE'S TWILITE HOOKER
'PR'PRANCER'S GETTIN DOWN N DIRTY (PrancerxHooker)
NITECH CH’PR’BUELL’S BLUE ROCKY(Whitey x Spice)

CKC BBPIG MARIES BABY BREEZE

Old Post 07-01-2019 07:40 PM
Autumn Clements is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Autumn Clements Click here to Send Autumn Clements a Private Message Click Here to Email Autumn Clements Find more posts by Autumn Clements Add Autumn Clements to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
roco7452
UKC Forum Member

Re: Breeding a sire to his own granddaughter

quote:
Originally posted by GCH Viper
Looking for thoughts on breeding a dog back to his own granddaughter. Would like to hear opinions/personal experiences.
This is a unique situation. Sorta like the Hardwood homer dog.
This dog breed his daughter years ago and has since died. I have semen on him and have located a granddaughter to him through the inbred/linebred cross on her fathers side. I am interested in trying a semen cross between the two.
This would make the dog I have the semen on the father on top. The great grandfather on the bottom side as well as the great great grandfather (both on the female I want to breed dads side).
I would also like to hear of any cross that would be similar to this. Possibly big money winning crosses.
Thanks and I look forward to any info.
Sorry I know this is a little confusing...

Keeps your line tight.

Old Post 07-01-2019 08:27 PM
roco7452 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for roco7452 Click here to Send roco7452 a Private Message Click Here to Email roco7452 Find more posts by roco7452 Add roco7452 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

I have made a similar cross and have had excellent results...the thing is when line breeding or inbreeding we want the pair to be as good as can be...

Every now and then one may be a great dog with an excellent pedigree and the other dog not so good but an excellent pedigree of the same...in this case you are breeding to the dog mainly because of what is in the dog and not so much what the dog is...I can think of one reason to do this...there isn’t another dog with the pedigree of the bloodline your after no matter how good the dog is the pedigree does not add up to what you want...

More than likely you will like the results...

Old Post 07-02-2019 03:23 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Pat Bizich
Banned

You are going to either get the good, the bad, or the ugly.
The bad will come back to haunt you because you just doubled it up..
When breeding this close I always tell people you have got to eat ,sleep, and breath those dogs.
That is why you see some breeders lines endure and others go "POOF" after the first or second generation.
They paid the price to get where they are at .
Just because it looks good on paper the genes still must line up.
Do not let sentiments cloud your judgement. Be totally honest with what faults or positive qualities they have in common. First how much like the grandsire is she.
Don't think you will breed out something one of them had that you disliked.
If you believe she is as much like her grandsire as anything you have seen .Great .Give it a try.
But if she is not anything like him. You need to go find one that is his replica. Or as close as you can find. That is the one you want to cross.

Like Reuben said too. If this is a last ditch effort because there are no more then make the cross. But you again must be willing to accept failure if it does not give you the hoped results.

Gone but never forgotten:
NtChGrCh Dryfork Punkin
NtChGrCh Dryfork Little Blue Baby Doll
2009 Pa Show Dog Of The Year
GrCh Dryfork Little Black Book
Gr.Ch. Make My Day Sunny
Gone too soon RIP my baby girl
Gr.Ch. Black Dog Black Cherry
GrCh Dryfork Black Dog Raine
One of kind and would make a believer out of you when you thought there were no coon left
Home of:
2009,2013,2018 Pa. State
Show Handler Of The Year
CH. Power Pack Pepper
2018 Pa. Show Dog Of Year
Gr.Ch. Batman's Poison Ivy
2011&2013 WTDA Pa State Champion
2011&2013 Overall Hunt For The Cure
Ch. Jay's Greenridge Heidi
In memory of my best friend "Jay"

Last edited by Pat Bizich on 07-02-2019 at 04:17 PM

Old Post 07-02-2019 04:12 PM
Pat Bizich is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Pat Bizich Click here to Send Pat Bizich a Private Message Find more posts by Pat Bizich Add Pat Bizich to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Pat Bizich

When breeding this close I always tell people you have got to eat ,sleep, and breath those dogs.
That is why you see some breeders lines endure and others go "POOF" after the first or second generation.
They paid the price to get where they are at .
Just because it looks good on paper the genes still must line up.
Be totally honest with what faults or positive qualities they have in common.

Like Reuben said too. If this is a last ditch effort because there are no more then make the cross. But you again must be willing to accept failure if it does not give you the hoped results.

Eat, sleep and breath dogs is right...and be totally honest with yourself...what are the pluses and minuses...when breeding dogs it should never be taken lightly...we should look hard at breeding the right pair...lots of thought should go into finding the right pair...and then the same amount of thought goes into selecting the right pups for hunting and breeding...testing and observing and keep 4 or 5 pups and reduce every few months until you have two of what you think are the best at this time...that’s if you only wanted to keep one pup from the litter...
Most will tell you close your eyes and pick a pup on account it is all luck...I choose to believe otherwise...

Old Post 07-02-2019 06:42 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GCH Viper
UKC Forum Member

I really appreciate all the response.

Old Post 07-03-2019 03:55 AM
GCH Viper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GCH Viper Click here to Send GCH Viper a Private Message Find more posts by GCH Viper Add GCH Viper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Atherton
UKC Forum Member

I'll provide you a little more technical answer. Research shows that most line breeding done with a 20% COI or less is relatively safe. COI stands for Coefficient Of Inbreeding. That doesn't mean a skeleton won't show up in the family closet. Just your chances are better that it won't.

Typically, speaking unless there was generations of close breeding such a cross will not be above 20% COI.

Pat,

I will go a step further. A breeder should always accept responsibility for a cross whether it is line bred, in-bred, or even a complete out-cross.

Aim small miss small

Old Post 07-05-2019 07:19 PM
Larry Atherton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Atherton Click here to Send Larry Atherton a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Atherton Visit Larry Atherton's homepage! Find more posts by Larry Atherton Add Larry Atherton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Wayne Valentino
UKC Forum Member

I

totally agree with what Pat Bizich wrote above... If your female is a carbon copy of the grand sire then try it.. It comes down to like genes combining to get the traits... It can be Great, good, BAD and horribly ugly... Be prepared to accept the results regardless of outcome and if the pups turn out to be GREAT, stay humble...

Old Post 07-08-2019 11:54 AM
Wayne Valentino is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Wayne Valentino Click here to Send Wayne Valentino a Private Message Click Here to Email Wayne Valentino Find more posts by Wayne Valentino Add Wayne Valentino to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote