UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Coon hunting is a dying sport....
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Ricochet17
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by T Felderman
Location and time of year make this hunt. A good time.

Just think how much more fun it would be if you were able to hunt in it tonight!😏

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-23-2020 02:57 AM
Ricochet17 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ricochet17 Click here to Send Ricochet17 a Private Message Find more posts by Ricochet17 Add Ricochet17 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GCH Viper
UKC Forum Member

The big money being paid for these dogs has always been going on. The difference today is social media. People are more connected now.

Old Post 10-23-2020 04:57 AM
GCH Viper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GCH Viper Click here to Send GCH Viper a Private Message Find more posts by GCH Viper Add GCH Viper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Hunts

Well, the Z dog and Weed failed to make it to the Quarterfinals of the PKC WORLD HUNT. They failed at several attempts to get a double cast wins, just goes to show you that even a high priced dog and top handler is not always enough to WIN. There were several Top dogs and good handlers that failed to advance, it definitely is not easy to WIN at that level , top dogs with zero or minus points were common over the past 4 nights. Dave

Old Post 10-23-2020 04:53 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TylerOSU
UKC Forum Member

Re: Hunts

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
Well, the Z dog and Weed failed to make it to the Quarterfinals of the PKC WORLD HUNT. They failed at several attempts to get a double cast wins, just goes to show you that even a high priced dog and top handler is not always enough to WIN. There were several Top dogs and good handlers that failed to advance, it definitely is not easy to WIN at that level , top dogs with zero or minus points were common over the past 4 nights. Dave

Yeah I saw yours wasn't entered? Shouldn't a big time stud dog like yours have been there? I definitely would have had mine there if work would have allowed it but it didn't. This sport takes LUCK... SKILL... BRAINS... if you don't all three of those you're more than likely going to get beat on that level.

Team Mafia
2022 UKC World Champion
2019-2022 UKC World Qualifier
2019 Ok Prohunt Semi-finalist
2019 Spring SS Top 20
20,21, and 23 OK State PKC Champion
2020 Spring SS Top 7
2019-2023 PKC National Qualifier
2020-2023 TOC Qualifier
2020 UKC Top 100
2022 UKC Top 100
2023 JOY Super Hunt Champion
2022 UKC WORLDCH PKC PCH CH GRNTCH3 "Get Gone Jenna"
DOB- 9/30/2017

Old Post 10-23-2020 06:03 PM
TylerOSU is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TylerOSU Click here to Send TylerOSU a Private Message Click Here to Email TylerOSU Find more posts by TylerOSU Add TylerOSU to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lblhunter
UKC Forum Member

Around 400 dogs every night on the early round and a very high percentage cast winners with plus points. Then send about a 100 dogs out late. 101 late casts with only 2 with minus that says something of the dog power and the guides. Dogs that are winning the high dollar 12-16 dog hunts are meeting good unheard of dogs that aren't campaigned. Those hunting spots have been thru the wringer and dogs still coming in with good scores

Old Post 10-23-2020 06:26 PM
lblhunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lblhunter Click here to Send lblhunter a Private Message Find more posts by lblhunter Add lblhunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tyler/OSU

Either you misread my post or you have miscomprehened my intent. I was only saying that there were several Top dogs that failed to reach the quarter finals, the competition was tough, I mean tough. Now for myself, I am 72 years old and have a torn ACL in my right knee, competition hunting is NOT for me. I do hunt pleasure hunting 5 to 6 nights s week ( sitting in truck, handler going to my dog)When I was your age I competed with the best of them and won my share, PKC was just getting started and was small back then. I have owned more than my share of TOP COONDOGS, so I know what is and what is not. No need for your comment of my dog not being there, several of your buddies were there and did not do very good, you never heard a negative comment from me about any of them. Please read carefully before you post a smart remark. By the way, coon hunting is and always has been a hobby for me, I never needed to hunt for money. I competition hunted for over 20 years just to test my dogs against the dogs in my area, I usually was pleased with my dogs and won my share. I definitely do not need to impress ANYONE neither do I need the money. I usually hunt a pretty good dog and have for many years. I am very hard to please and it takes a coon dog to please me. Dave

Old Post 10-23-2020 07:46 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TylerOSU
UKC Forum Member

Dave

Easy to win at home isn't it? Only thing I was saying was that IF I had a big time stud dog and advertised them like Timothy Ball is probably be trying to win something with them and try to show the public they are worthy to breed to. I'm sure you're old fashioned and will once again tell me (you've won your fair share) but lets hear it. Honest to god I want to know what y'all old timers have won! You won AO? Been in the top 16? Won Winter Classic? How bout the world hunt ever been in the top 100? What's the history here???

Team Mafia
2022 UKC World Champion
2019 Spring SS Top 20
2020 Spring SS Top 7
2020-2023 TOC Qualifier
2020 UKC Top 100
2022 UKC Top 100
DOB- 9/30/2017

Old Post 10-23-2020 08:08 PM
TylerOSU is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TylerOSU Click here to Send TylerOSU a Private Message Click Here to Email TylerOSU Find more posts by TylerOSU Add TylerOSU to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TylerOSU
UKC Forum Member

And as far as my friends go that were there? Well I give them 100% all the credit in the world. They felt as if their stuff was worth of a $300 entry and most of them 4 nights in a row. That tells me they think something of their dogs rather they won or not...

Team Mafia
2022 UKC World Champion
2019 Spring SS Top 20
2020 Spring SS Top 7
2020-2023 TOC Qualifier
2020 UKC Top 100
2022 UKC Top 100
DOB- 9/30/2017

Old Post 10-23-2020 08:15 PM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tyler/OSU

No, never won a big hunt, never cared about hunting in the big HUNTS. I was foremost a pleasure hunter that demanded and hunted Top coon dogs, dogs that treed coons in the winter months and showed them eyes when you got to the trees. Coons are thin in these mountains and it takes a coon dog to tree them in the winter, no leaves no excuses. Most competition dogs these days are hot nosed and struggle in the winter months, that's definitely NOT what I choose to hunt. Question? How did my post get to be about me competition hunting, my post was stating facts. I Said, repeat that there were some Top dogs and Top handlers that never made it to the quarter finals, I said the competition was tough tough tough. I don't know where you got anything else from my post and by the way I do not own, nor never owned a stud dog. My dogs are for my use only, AND if I bred someone's dog, it would be for FREE. I am financially secure and DO NOT coon hunt for profit. I am secure enough in what I hunt that I do not need to prove any thing to anyone but myself. If you think that competition hunting is the defining measure of your coon dogs, so be it. I measure a dogs ability to produce coons every night in December and January as defining a true coon dog. In thick coons any dog that can tree a coon looks decent, put them in thin coons and you will find out what you are feeding. I too had some friends at the Prohunt this week and they entered every night all 4 nights and had good scores, but just got beat, that's coon hunting. Dave P. S. The twenty years or so I hunted in UKC we had 15 to 20 casts of dogs at every hunt, not the 1 or 2 cast HUNTS of today, not as easy then as it is today. JS. Dave

Last edited by Dave Richards on 10-23-2020 at 10:27 PM

Old Post 10-23-2020 09:06 PM
Roy Grant
UKC Forum Member

My hat is off to my friends, the Cummings. They are the TRUE professionals of the coon dog world. Breed, raise, train and campaign their own. They will also pleasure hunt and be the first ones to help you or any club. Jen is google of the coon dog world. Thanks Chey and Jen for your efforts to keep our sport alive and well.

Old Post 10-23-2020 09:48 PM
Roy Grant is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Roy Grant Click here to Send Roy Grant a Private Message Click Here to Email Roy Grant Find more posts by Roy Grant Add Roy Grant to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JB Cobb
UKC Forum Member

I entered 4 nights... only won one early round... nice hounds out there with a lot of time and money invested. I did my homework and felt the dog was as ready as he could be...Congratulations to those hunting tonight it’s going to take an awfully good one to win it with a double dose of luck stirred in. I’ve got a few buddies still swinging tonight I’ll be pulling for !!

Old Post 10-24-2020 12:25 AM
JB Cobb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JB Cobb Click here to Send JB Cobb a Private Message Click Here to Email JB Cobb Find more posts by JB Cobb Add JB Cobb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Doug C
UKC Forum Member

I know how yall feel, I wanted to be there also but work comes first, but its hard to put them two backto back cast wins together with the hounds that are there

Old Post 10-24-2020 03:57 AM
Doug C is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Doug C Click here to Send Doug C a Private Message Click Here to Email Doug C Find more posts by Doug C Add Doug C to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

It is a whole different world there. Everyone should experience it once. It can be very humbling.

Old Post 10-24-2020 03:16 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Billy Beckham
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
It is a whole different world there. Everyone should experience it once. It can be very humbling.

100% correct.
I haven’t hunted in a few years but miss being around that hunt every year.

PKC CH, GRNITECH Beckham's Hillbilly Bones

Old Post 10-24-2020 05:28 PM
Billy Beckham is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Billy Beckham Click here to Send Billy Beckham a Private Message Click Here to Email Billy Beckham Find more posts by Billy Beckham Add Billy Beckham to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ricochet17
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by T Felderman
Location and time of year make this hunt. A good time.

I wonder how many others experienced what you did in on Thursday trying to enter.

Old Post 10-24-2020 08:20 PM
Ricochet17 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ricochet17 Click here to Send Ricochet17 a Private Message Find more posts by Ricochet17 Add Ricochet17 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnny reb
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: 100,000

quote:
Originally posted by Hoosier Man1
Anyone with unlimited money can win. Zero respect given here

I’ll play devils advocate here. You can have all the money you want but, you still have to put in the work. You can buy the best that can be bought. If you keep them conditioned and ready there not going to stay there best. Money or no money it takes the same thing to stay competitive. The time and energy has to be put in either way. I have no problem with your opinion I just don’t understand the logic. Would like to hear the reasoning behind it from you or anyone else.

Old Post 10-24-2020 10:31 PM
johnny reb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnny reb Click here to Send johnny reb a Private Message Click Here to Email johnny reb Find more posts by johnny reb Add johnny reb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 100,000

quote:
Originally posted by Hoosier Man1
I totally agree with you and thank you! I don't fault the dogs but just have much more respect for folks who train and pay for what they hunt! Nothing against anyone with money it just means way more to me doing it with your own dog.

Lot of those poor boys hunting right next to those fellas with unlimited money won this week. Some of them are still playing on saturday night.

That is the great thing about this sport, it gives guys like me the ability to compete against millionaires and still do well.

I drew more quality dogs this week than I have ever seen in one place in my life. It was TOUGH. Great dogs, and great houndsmen in EVERY CAST. I never seen a common dog judging or handling in any cast I participated in.

People that say the sport is dying or that the dogs are worse just arent getting out of the house enough.

And to be honest, y'all better be hunting harder if you still want to win big in UKC, because those boys treeing all those coons this week that haven't already are gonna be over here soon enough.

Old Post 10-24-2020 11:44 PM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Dogs

Money could not get 1 dog in the semi finals, the dogs and owners that were mentioned hunted several dogs with really good handles and NONE of them made the semi finals, some of those high priced dogs and top handlers never even made the quarter finals. I definitely do not think that spending a bunch of money buying dogs at ridiculous price got them anything but a LESSON. Some say it takes luck, I say bullcrap, it takes a coon dog. Anyone depending on luck is wasting their time. Rodeo is operating like a real coon dog and will be HARD to beat, just look at his scores for every round he won. I pick Rodeo and Scott to WIN the World Hunt. Dave

Old Post 10-24-2020 11:46 PM
Sgraves
UKC Forum Member

Re: Dogs

quote:
Money could not get 1 dog in the semi finals, the dogs and owners that were mentioned hunted several dogs with really good handles and NONE of them made the semi finals, some of those high priced dogs and top handlers never even made the quarter finals. I definitely do not think that spending a bunch of money buying dogs at ridiculous price got them anything but a LESSON. Some say it takes luck, I say bullcrap, it takes a coon dog. Anyone depending on luck is wasting their time. Rodeo is operating like a real coon dog and will be HARD to beat, just look at his scores for every round he won. I pick Rodeo and Scott to WIN the World Hunt. Dave
x2 on the rodeo dog. He’s been clicking since ukc world hunt. There is no substitute for spending time in the woods if you want a winner. You can buy your way in an maybe get lucky. But God almighty will bless hard work.

Old Post 10-25-2020 01:23 AM
Sgraves is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sgraves Click here to Send Sgraves a Private Message Click Here to Email Sgraves Find more posts by Sgraves Add Sgraves to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JB Cobb
UKC Forum Member

It takes a great hound but also takes a ton of luck.. I don’t care how good they are u need to catch a break along the way. I hunted as nice a hound as I’ve seen in a long long time this year and I’ve played this game for 35 years. It takes a good one but it also takes luck... I had the coon dog but Lady Luck didn’t smile on me. The 7 dogs left I guarantee are coon dogs but the winner needs to buy a lottery ticket.

Old Post 10-25-2020 02:37 AM
JB Cobb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JB Cobb Click here to Send JB Cobb a Private Message Click Here to Email JB Cobb Find more posts by JB Cobb Add JB Cobb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

JB COBB

Please share your thoughts on it taking luck to WIN and as you say lots of luck. You only have to beat the dogs in your cast to WIN and advance. Every dog in your cast is hunting the same ground at the same time, I say ability NOT luck determines the winner of every cast. If you think it's luck in finding coons treed, it's not in my opinion. I think if the coon is there it will look most of the time. Way to many circle trees are just empty trees. Surely a dog that trees 2 to 4 coons and you look at every coon it trees is not luck, while other dogs are treeing circle trees and no coon is seen. A dog that consistently shows coons is NOT lucky it is a coon dog. I do not believe in luck, I believe in being prepared, now that may be just me. I have found out the better the coon dog I am hunting, the less excuses and more coons I actually see all winter long. Dave

Old Post 10-25-2020 03:50 AM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by JB Cobb
It takes a great hound but also takes a ton of luck.. I don’t care how good they are u need to catch a break along the way. I hunted as nice a hound as I’ve seen in a long long time this year and I’ve played this game for 35 years. It takes a good one but it also takes luck... I had the coon dog but Lady Luck didn’t smile on me. The 7 dogs left I guarantee are coon dogs but the winner needs to buy a lottery ticket.

X2 on all that.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 10-25-2020 03:54 AM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Clif Owen
UKC Forum Member

I firmly believe that it takes a good hound but also think at least a certain amount of luck is also involved. There are just as many ways to get beat as there are to win. For example...you see 1 dog's coon but the other(s) aren't seen for whatever reason...brushy tree, hole or something else. Have you guys that have won a good bit that it seems like you and the dog will get on a "hot streak" sometimes and the cast wins just seem to fall into place? And then for some reason, the breaks don't go your way. Often the same dog. I always thought that if you got on a hot streak; you need to keep hitting the hunts as long as it lasted.

Anyway, Congrats to the guys that have gotten this far in that hunt.

Old Post 10-25-2020 05:07 AM
Clif Owen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Clif Owen Click here to Send Clif Owen a Private Message Click Here to Email Clif Owen Find more posts by Clif Owen Add Clif Owen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GCH Viper
UKC Forum Member

I grew up in this game. I quit for several years but been back hunting 3 years now. Still a PKC man as I’ve always been. That’s where the elite are competing.
It doesn’t matter how much money you spend, competing at this level you have to catch a break every now and then. Call it luck, call it a break. Same thing...
Hold it again next week and you’ll get a different final 7.
When you have so many dogs that are so capable of winning it boils down to a BREAK... or two...

Old Post 10-25-2020 05:12 AM
GCH Viper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GCH Viper Click here to Send GCH Viper a Private Message Find more posts by GCH Viper Add GCH Viper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

Re: JB COBB

quote:
Please share your thoughts on it taking luck to WIN and as you say lots of luck. You only have to beat the dogs in your cast to WIN and advance. Every dog in your cast is hunting the same ground at the same time, I say ability NOT luck determines the winner of every cast. If you think it's luck in finding coons treed, it's not in my opinion. I think if the coon is there it will look most of the time. Way to many circle trees are just empty trees. Surely a dog that trees 2 to 4 coons and you look at every coon it trees is not luck, while other dogs are treeing circle trees and no coon is seen. A dog that consistently shows coons is NOT lucky it is a coon dog. I do not believe in luck, I believe in being prepared, now that may be just me. I have found out the better the coon dog I am hunting, the less excuses and more coons I actually see all winter long. Dave

The luck comes into finding the coons in the allotted time frame given for shine time. Or it could be your dog getting treed just out of pocket and not being able to hear them. Call it luck or breaks but you need some of it playing at the higher levels.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 10-25-2020 05:38 AM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote