UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Dominate hounds
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Clovis A Nailor
UKC Forum Member

Dominate hounds

Back in the 1980's there was a foxhound named Rocky Top in Louisiana. He was a flat dominating hound in a race, on the front at all times endurance unmatched with a heavy machine gun mouth. The locals bred anything and everything to him with a whole lot of success. I do believe you could have bred a house cat to him and get some good hounds Lol. He was a local dog never advertised won some local outside hunts and his pups won plenty. Now that's my story of a hound that should be in every foxhounds pedigree but is not. Tell me about a local coonhound of the same caliber of this foxhound that should be in every Coonhounds pedigree. Side note Rocky Top could flat run his game with everything he had. I know I was there and no I didn't own this dog I wished. I thought this might generate some good old stories of good old hounds for us old folks. I would like to hear about some foxhounds too

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-01-2020 02:41 PM
Clovis A Nailor is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Clovis A Nailor Click here to Send Clovis A Nailor a Private Message Click Here to Email Clovis A Nailor Find more posts by Clovis A Nailor Add Clovis A Nailor to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Its funny how some of the local or semi local dogs get their fame. They are truly good hounds that people see the good in them in the woods. Then want some in the breeding pen thats the genetics of a solid hound getting passed on. Many men work at or plan out breeding a line of dogs. Many also fail. But many dogs through their ability. Plan their own course. They take the men along for the ride and hope the man gives them opportunity and gets out of their way. I have seen it in two lines of running dogs here in this area. Over a period of time. I know of two male pups that were brought to this area, really not because of ability but availability. Made nice hounds. One was crossed on a coonhound female. 10 pups were raised. Everyone was colored like the sire. Everyone are extremely fast like the sire. But everyone is smarter better handling. Better nose and mouth than the sire. The sire marked what you can see. The coonhound brought a lot that only those hunting these dog can see and like. Now many from the first litter of ten are being out crossed to other running dogs in the area. The results are good. Now over the course on five years. You see a hunting club of a hundred members having or wanting offspring of those dogs. No adds very few pups being sold. Just given to friends. Letting ability speak for itself. Let me say. I dont own a hair on any of these dogs backs. But i know there beginning. I have quietly had one thought for several years about this line. That is to put some better deeper mouths on them. I will quietly attempt to do it this year. No one but me and one friend will know. But if it works. Most of the locals will want. The results will bring me no money or fame but just some self joy. Thats what my dogs are about to me.

Old Post 01-01-2020 03:20 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Bruce, you could add that to your post about the 2 types of hunters. It holds true for hunters and breeders. Some hunt a dog or breed/raise pups for the fame or fortune. They want everyone to know who they are. Others hunt a dog or breed/raise pups for their own self satisfaction. There is nothing wrong with either way, they are just 2 different types of people.

Old Post 01-01-2020 04:07 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Clovis A Nailor
UKC Forum Member

I give pretty much all my pups away. I don't go to competitions so nobody wants my pups. Even though I have the litter mate to a big stud hound right now. They selling their's for pretty good money mine are free. Because I just breed to the ones I personally have knowledge of and think will make a good cross. I did put one on here for sale (no calls) then saw him 2 days later hammered treed on a squirrel at 4 months. I thought I better keep him.

Old Post 01-01-2020 04:33 PM
Clovis A Nailor is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Clovis A Nailor Click here to Send Clovis A Nailor a Private Message Click Here to Email Clovis A Nailor Find more posts by Clovis A Nailor Add Clovis A Nailor to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Clovis A Nailor
UKC Forum Member

Where I live some of the biggest know handlers in the business live close by and I've hunted with them all. They got good hounds sometimes they out do mine sometimes mine out does their's they are just dogs. Mine just don't have grand nite or platinum in front of their names and that's why I give mine away and that's why they get $500 a pup.

Old Post 01-01-2020 04:57 PM