UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Alpha 200i
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
ROBERT HAYES
UKC Forum Member

Alpha 200i

Looking to update. Can someone give the pro's and con's. Is the larger screen large enough to make a difference. Thanks

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-08-2020 02:55 PM
ROBERT HAYES is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ROBERT HAYES Click here to Send ROBERT HAYES a Private Message Find more posts by ROBERT HAYES Add ROBERT HAYES to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Mr. Hayes, I think most people decisions on the 200i will be based upon what they hunt. How many guys they hunt with and how many dogs you are using. Since this is a coonhound board in most cases the guys here will be hunting just a dog or two on Coon or Squirrel. It might be an one kill in that case. Down here in FL. I do get slightly better range. I like the way it can be customized. Most people buy these things wanting the instructions to tell you how to use it. The 200i is a perfect for someone with some experience. As your experience allows you to know what to do and the 200i can do it in a manner you like. For a guy hunting one or two dogs the ALPHA 100 is great and probably all you need.
I deer hunted this past weekend and there were probably 50 dogs involved. I had them all in groups and it was so easy to swap back and forth and track the dogs I needed to. This morning I am coonhunting and have two dogs selected. But if I run into some friends deer hunting. I can just select a group and be hunting with them.

I think it takes some experience to get the maximum out of the 200i. I have found the base topo map loaded on it is not detailed enough for my liking. So getting ready for my hunt this morning I was in my easy chair last night. Put in a detailed 24K topo map on sd card of the area I am going this morning. Then downloaded from Birdseye direct the Birdseye map of the area onto the card. Now I have detailed 24k topo overlayed on Birdseye. The best of both worlds.

Again, customization to your liking is the big thing. But it takes some knowledge and experience to understand what is offered and what you want. I have talked with a lot of guys disappointed in the mapping but if you understand mapping you can get the quality maps you need. Birdseye is free and a good quality topo map is very cheap. For less than $30 I can hunt anywhere in the eastern US and have quality maps. Detailed TOPO overplayed on Birdseye. I could do the same West of the Mississippi if I hunted out there but East of the Mississippi is plenty for me.

Talk to some people, get some advice, make notes. Then call me and we can discuss your needs. I love listening to peoples opinions as I learn from them and get a different point of view. Different than my tunnel vision mind. LOL You can reach me at 386-972-9446

Old Post 12-09-2020 11:24 AM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ROBERT HAYES
UKC Forum Member

200i

Thanks Mr. Bruce I was mainly interested in the larger screen so as not to have to put my glasses on every time. I don't have a lot of experience with the alpha 100. I just do the basics with it. Track the dogs and sometimes find the truck. LOL. I probably need to just stick with the 100. I just really like the idea of the larger screen. Thanks for your reply

Old Post 12-09-2020 01:14 PM
ROBERT HAYES is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ROBERT HAYES Click here to Send ROBERT HAYES a Private Message Find more posts by ROBERT HAYES Add ROBERT HAYES to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote