UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Garmin Vs. Dogtra Pathfinder
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Purple12
UKC Forum Member

Garmin Vs. Dogtra Pathfinder

I’ve been out of hunting for a while but have been hunting a lot more lately, my old original Astro 220 is fine but I need to replace my collars, or I have considered just buying a new set up so that got me looking into the options and noticed the dogtra pathfinder 2 but don’t know anything about it, looks like UKC is all in on it and the price is attractive what do y’all think for the ones who’ve had both?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-07-2022 01:33 AM
Purple12 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Purple12 Click here to Send Purple12 a Private Message Click Here to Email Purple12 Find more posts by Purple12 Add Purple12 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

Pathfinder hands-down for 99% of coon hunting needs. I've had the old Garmin systems... and have used the Pathfinder 1 for four or five years now.... not once was I ever feeling like the Pathfinder wasn't doing the job for me. And I'd never want to go back to the subpar maps- clunky user interface of the Garmin line again.

If I was already invested in the garmin system I would probably stay in it... but now that I've used the pathfinder I wouldn't go back.

Old Post 10-07-2022 03:36 AM
houndsound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for houndsound Click here to Send houndsound a Private Message Click Here to Email houndsound Find more posts by houndsound Add houndsound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Black Ash Bawl
UKC Forum Member

path finder

used the garmin 420 for years and then bought a pathfinder. The 420 is used as my back-up if the battery on my phone or collars or connector are not charged. If you need to let your buddies track your dog , you might keep the garmin... I hunt alone , love the maps, compass, and very easy to check battery charge on the whole pathfinder system.. You have your phone , a connector and collar that all has to be charged. I have had no problems with the pathfinder and, hate recalibrating the compass when using the garmin.

Old Post 10-07-2022 06:01 AM
Black Ash Bawl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Black Ash Bawl Click here to Send Black Ash Bawl a Private Message Find more posts by Black Ash Bawl Add Black Ash Bawl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
critter
UKC Forum Member

junk

I guess im the only one that has problems with the Pathfinder losing the RF signal.I was recently told the problem was in the collar antenna. All i know is from two years of fighting it and sending it back to Dogtra three times in my opinion it just cant be trusted.

Old Post 10-07-2022 05:43 PM
critter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for critter Click here to Send critter a Private Message Click Here to Email critter Find more posts by critter Add critter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Used the Alpha for several years and now have the Pathfinder 2. Like the Pathfinder maps and have had no problems with reception. The only thing I don't like is that to go from tone to correction I have to change settings on the phone where with the Alpha I just pushed a different button. I do like that all updates for Pathfinder are done on the phone. Both are good systems.

Old Post 10-07-2022 06:29 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

I do have a question on Pathfinder 2. Can you use maps other than Mapbox with the Pathfindr 2?

Old Post 10-07-2022 06:59 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Preacher Tom
I do have a question on Pathfinder 2. Can you use maps other than Mapbox with the Pathfindr 2?

According to Dogtra the Pathfinder 2 only uses Mapbox. They are not as clear as Google Earth. No idea why they did that. i bought it to use superior maps and Mapbox is far from the best.

Old Post 10-07-2022 08:32 PM
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

I'll just keep with first gen pathfinder as long as I can with the Google maps...but most say the new maps are still really good.

Old Post 10-08-2022 12:54 AM
houndsound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for houndsound Click here to Send houndsound a Private Message Click Here to Email houndsound Find more posts by houndsound Add houndsound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Billy Beckham
UKC Forum Member

Re: Garmin Vs. Dogtra Pathfinder

I haven’t hunted in a few years but what do you mean by UKC is all in on it.

quote:
Originally posted by Purple12
I’ve been out of hunting for a while but have been hunting a lot more lately, my old original Astro 220 is fine but I need to replace my collars, or I have considered just buying a new set up so that got me looking into the options and noticed the dogtra pathfinder 2 but don’t know anything about it, looks like UKC is all in on it and the price is attractive what do y’all think for the ones who’ve had both?

PKC CH, GRNITECH Beckham's Hillbilly Bones

Old Post 10-09-2022 04:37 PM
Billy Beckham is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Billy Beckham Click here to Send Billy Beckham a Private Message Click Here to Email Billy Beckham Find more posts by Billy Beckham Add Billy Beckham to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J.R.__Ratliff
UKC Forum Member

I am 100% dogtra. If you are looking in to getting one here is a promo code to save you on a new system straight from dogtra. You can use the code over the phone or at dogtra.com. promo code

BLUTIK5

It will save you 5% off any product over $200.00 at dogtra.com

High as everything is now of days ever dollar counts.

I have been using the PF2 system since back in April with no problems. It just keeps getting better as dogtra updates the app. Like the first system it took some fine tuning to get it right. Also with dogtra you don't have to hook your collars to a computer to update them, all done from the app on your phone.

Old Post 10-12-2022 10:35 AM
J.R.__Ratliff is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J.R.__Ratliff Click here to Send J.R.__Ratliff a Private Message Click Here to Email J.R.__Ratliff Visit J.R.__Ratliff's homepage! Find more posts by J.R.__Ratliff Add J.R.__Ratliff to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Travis O.
UKC Forum Member

I've owned both and each one has its pros and cons. The garmin 200 is reliable, has never failed me but has more options than I will ever need so it can be overwhelming to search through its menu. I did find that once you set it up the way you like, it's nice to use. The pathfinder 2 is extremely simple, has nice colorful maps and less confusing. Personally, I had issues after an update and it hasn't been right since then. The E-collar doesn't seem to be as responsive as the alpha but gets the job done. If simplicity and beautiful maps are important to you, choose the pathfinder2. If the reliability and durability are what you need, choose the alpha. Hope this helps.

NT CH CROOKED RIVER TWO TONE ZEB
NT CH OLIPHANTS DBL BARREL SHOTGUN
GR NT CH CROOKED RIVER RED TURKEY HTX
NT Ch CROOKED RIVER RED SASSY HTX
CROOKED RIVER REDTICK ROWDY

Old Post 10-12-2022 04:02 PM
Travis O. is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Travis O. Click here to Send Travis O. a Private Message Click Here to Email Travis O. Find more posts by Travis O. Add Travis O. to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Purple12
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Garmin Vs. Dogtra Pathfinder

quote:
Originally posted by Billy Beckham
I haven’t hunted in a few years but what do you mean by UKC is all in on it.

I just noticed on some of UKC’s YouTube stuff they said about the dogtra system “partnered with” or sponsored by stuff like that so I assumed it would be a tested and liked system for them to be involved, but I have been leaning more that way more by the stuff y’all have put on here and the videos I’ve watched, I’m not really cellphone savvy but I think I could figure it out, I guess the only question I have left just cause I haven’t seen it on any of the videos, is there any setting or page on your phone where it shows a simple distance and directions your dogs are or is on map at all times? Talking about the dogtra 2 system

Old Post 10-13-2022 01:46 AM
Purple12 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Purple12 Click here to Send Purple12 a Private Message Click Here to Email Purple12 Find more posts by Purple12 Add Purple12 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

Purple... yes you can simply go from "maps" to "compass" view. The compass just points a big arrow toward a dog, or truck, or whatever marker you choose and tells you how far.

dk

Old Post 10-13-2022 01:51 AM
Ridgerunner1988
UKC Forum Member

Garmin over Dogtra AnyDay

I pick Garmin over dogtra any day... Imo the Garmin will pick up farther and is more durable. The Dogtra I have to use my cell phone not a provided handheld like with Garmin, if I break my cell phone I'm out of a phone and tracking system all at once. Rather have to replace the Garmin handheld than my cell phone which is essential to everyday life. Also do not like the fact that if my cell phone doesn't have service then the Dogtra map doesn't work... If you want a map of somewhere your cellphone doesnt have service you have to know how to download them (what a headache) prior to going there or the map is just a white screen. Even without a map card in a Garmin you can always see roads creeks and parks and all on there map. Ive used an astro 430 for years now and haven't had any issues. I use a garmin tri tronics trashbreaker pro for any training I need done. Garmin is by far the better choice IMO...

Last edited by Ridgerunner1988 on 10-21-2022 at 05:27 AM

Old Post 10-21-2022 05:19 AM
Ridgerunner1988 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ridgerunner1988 Click here to Send Ridgerunner1988 a Private Message Find more posts by Ridgerunner1988 Add Ridgerunner1988 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
treedog2345
UKC Forum Member

Easy

Pathfinder for me is only way to go. I had an alpha liked ut but the reality is I paid alot of money for something that glitches and made it 1 day feom the year warranty and the screen went out .Garmin did cover it but sent in my handheld and was sent replacement took a week or 2 .no complaints there . But the dogtra is easier on my mine has and will track as far as Garmin in these mountains the maps are twice as good ease of use is better on pathfinder. And I like the rest have my cell phone wherever I go. Not many leave their phone in the truck.carrying one handheld that not only tracks but calls searches web has a location finder for sos if famiky needs it tracks and trains dogs. I think the pathfinder has all the plus side of things.

Old Post 10-21-2022 10:39 AM
treedog2345 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for treedog2345 Click here to Send treedog2345 a Private Message Find more posts by treedog2345 Add treedog2345 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Triple K Kennel
UKC Forum Member

Pathfinder is Better

I have Had a Garmin 320 for several years & just Sold it a few days ago because I also have the Original Patgfinder & have come to realize I like the Pathfinder much better. I have NEVER had a time when I didn't have a Great Map to look at on my Pathfinder & I have hunted all over Indiana & KY. To me the Pathfinder doesn't have all the Junk I will never use like the Garmin has, Maps on the Pathfinder are Superior over the Garmin and I think the Range & Signal are much better on the Pathfinder as well. You can buy a cheap Cell Phone that doesn't need Cell Service to connect with the Pathfinder......but I just use my own personal phone and it's with me all the time. Not worried over losing my phone, never lost it in the 23 years I have had a Cell Phone.
I am considering buying the Pathfinder 2 & it has a couple upgrades that will make the 2 a little better than the Original System.
Can't go wrong with the Pathfinder.....it's Tops in my books.
Tim

Quality, Dependable Coon Lights--Built by a Coonhunter for Coonhunters
==================================
** Superior Lights

** Sunspot Hunting Lights

** Zepp's--Quality Products

** Boss Lights

**Brighteyes Lights

** They Twist it until they start believing it themselves**

Purina Dog Food
** Proven Results **

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Competition Coonhunters and Politicians
** Win anyway you have to & tell everyone what they want to hear **

Old Post 10-21-2022 11:38 AM
Triple K Kennel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Triple K Kennel Click here to Send Triple K Kennel a Private Message Find more posts by Triple K Kennel Add Triple K Kennel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote