UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Stephens Mt Cur
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
kyblackdogman
UKC Forum Member

Stephens Mt Cur

The stephens Mt Cur breeders association event starts today in Tell City Indiana with all Stephens events. Tomorrow we have licensed cur events as well as Friday
Come and enjoy

Psalms 119:89

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-06-2022 02:42 PM
kyblackdogman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kyblackdogman Click here to Send kyblackdogman a Private Message Click Here to Email kyblackdogman Find more posts by kyblackdogman Add kyblackdogman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Stephens cur

Stephens dogs are not Mt. CUR dogs, they are a separate breed. I am not trying to belittle anyone, just pointing out the distinction of the two breeds, Stephens Stock and the original mountain cur dogs. Mr. Stephens and Mr. McConnell definitely did not refer to the Stephens Stock dogs as Mountain Curs. Dave

Last edited by Dave Richards on 10-13-2022 at 04:42 AM

Old Post 10-09-2022 09:50 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JohnnyRingo20
UKC Forum Member

Stephens stock mt cur. Look it up.

Old Post 10-10-2022 12:55 AM
JohnnyRingo20 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JohnnyRingo20 Click here to Send JohnnyRingo20 a Private Message Find more posts by JohnnyRingo20 Add JohnnyRingo20 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kyblackdogman
UKC Forum Member

Stephens Mt Curs we’re originally part of the Mt. Cur club of America. Hugh Stephens was the first president. They were right there with A.D Ledbetter Mr Green and Mr Mconnell.

Old Post 10-10-2022 01:09 AM
kyblackdogman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kyblackdogman Click here to Send kyblackdogman a Private Message Click Here to Email kyblackdogman Find more posts by kyblackdogman Add kyblackdogman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

Here’s what they were advertised as for years.

https://search.yahoo.com/search?p=s...tock+cur&fr

If this link doesn’t work Google search Stephens Stock Cur and see what you get.

Maybe the name was changed but for years this is the way they were advertised in Full Cry magazine going back to the 1970’s.

Dave’s right.

Old Post 10-10-2022 03:04 AM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JohnnyRingo20
UKC Forum Member

Yes, different breed of mt cur, but still is a mt cur, didn't say they was original mt cur, Kemmer mt cur, or etc. We only raised them for 20+ yrs so I have no clue about them.

Old Post 10-10-2022 03:38 AM
JohnnyRingo20 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JohnnyRingo20 Click here to Send JohnnyRingo20 a Private Message Find more posts by JohnnyRingo20 Add JohnnyRingo20 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Stephens Sock Curs

I knew Mr. McConnell very well and got Stephens Curs from him. I enjoyed the breed. NEVER heard anyone refer to them as Mt, Curs, always called them Stephens Stock Curs. Anyway the semantics are not important as the fact they were/are a nice little breed of hunting dogs. Dave

Old Post 10-11-2022 02:52 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

Re: Stephens Sock Curs

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
I knew Mr. McConnell very well and got Stephens Curs from him. I enjoyed the breed. NEVER heard anyone refer to them as Mt, Curs, always called them Stephens Stock Curs. Anyway the semantics are not important as the fact they were/are a nice little breed of hunting dogs. Dave
C'mon, Dave. This is the social media era. We can argue about how many toes a dog has when we're both looking at his feet.

Old Post 10-11-2022 02:37 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

I’m thinking there was another black strain of Mt. Cur besides the Stephens Mt cur…seems like they had a lot of white trim to them…does anyone know what the name was or is? Thanks

Old Post 10-11-2022 05:30 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Reuben
I’m thinking there was another black strain of Mt. Cur besides the Stephens Mt cur…seems like they had a lot of white trim to them…does anyone know what the name was or is? Thanks

Rueben, the only black/white curs I ever knew if we're the Stephens Stock Curs.I have heard of other strains of curs like the Parnell. Different folks bred different lines of cur dogs. Ledbetter and Robert Kemmer bred the strain known as the original mountain curs. Mr Stephens and Mr. McConnell bred the Stephens Stock line of curs, they were black, many with with white trim on chest and feet. I have owned and hunted both the Kemmer mountain curs and the Stephens Stock Curs and liked both breeds. Dave

Last edited by Dave Richards on 10-11-2022 at 09:14 PM

Old Post 10-11-2022 09:12 PM
A House Cat
UKC Forum Member

38 years ago when I was 12 the first competition hunt I ever hunted in was at the Stephens Stock Breeders Roundup is what I believe it was called. I bought a pup I called Blue Diamond and I am positive the papers said Stephens Stock Curs said nothing about Mt Cur. I bought the pup off of Mr. Bob Beck of Paris Illinois who would write articles in Full Cry for Stephens Stock Breeders articles. Mr Beck was starting to lose his eye sight when I met him. Hugh Johnson of Coatesville Indiana is the man who got me into the Stephens Stock breed. I never heard them referred to as a mountain cur. Interesting post.

Old Post 10-12-2022 12:47 PM
A House Cat is offline Click Here to See the Profile for A House Cat Click here to Send A House Cat a Private Message Find more posts by A House Cat Add A House Cat to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JohnnyRingo20
UKC Forum Member

Some omcba dogs are black and white, so there's one example. Just because someone had never heard of something, doesn't mean others are wrong. And that's all I've got to say on it.

Old Post 10-12-2022 02:08 PM
A House Cat
UKC Forum Member

Even UKC don’t identify them as Mountain Cur!

https://www.ukcdogs.com/stephens-cur

Old Post 10-12-2022 05:44 PM
A House Cat is offline Click Here to See the Profile for A House Cat Click here to Send A House Cat a Private Message Find more posts by A House Cat Add A House Cat to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JohnnyRingo20
UKC Forum Member

Doesn't matter what ukc identifies them as now. Was not a ukc event!! Look up what the breed started from. A strain of mt cur is what they are from, read down thru the link you provided, or look up elsewhere..

Last edited by JohnnyRingo20 on 10-12-2022 at 06:01 PM

Old Post 10-12-2022 05:57 PM
A House Cat
UKC Forum Member

https://www.ukcdogs.com/enlgish-coonhound

The Walker and Bluetick comes from the strain of English Foxhounds.

We don’t call them a English Foxhound Walker lol.

Old Post 10-12-2022 06:52 PM
kyblackdogman
UKC Forum Member

Quote from Stephens Breeders Association yearbook
“In 1957 at the forming of the Mountain Cur club of America, there could be found five family stocks or strains of Mountain Cur Tree dogs. They were Ledbetter, Arline, York, McConnell and Stephens “

They are Mt curs folks

Old Post 10-12-2022 10:47 PM
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

Thanks for that! I never have seen one of the Stephen’s Stock dogs and have never had the opportunity to hunt with a Mountain Cur. There was a couple of brothers that were well known bear hunters in VT that use to have some Mountain Curs in their bear pack. There were some guys in my area who had purchased pups they raised from these dogs they had. I was told the Mt. Curs these fellas had were gritty and would put the bite on a bear.

Old Post 10-13-2022 01:28 AM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Curs

I concede the Stephens Stock dogs were curs and if someone wants to call them Mountain Curs that's okay by me. The major breeders I knew liked to distinguish the Stephens Stock as a separate breed from what was known as the Mountain cur. They were proud and should have been of the Stephens Stock curs. No need to argue over a definition and definitely no need to try and group all of the cur breeds into a general classification as Mountain curs. Hound breeds are described as separate breeds to promote certain bloodlines and the Cur breeds are no different. Mr Stephens and Mr McConnell were very proud of the Stephens Stock Curs and would definitely not call them Mountain Curs. Once again, I am not playing on semantics, so call them anything you want, they are good little dogs and deserve the distinction of being called Stephens Curs. Dave

Old Post 10-13-2022 04:32 AM
A House Cat
UKC Forum Member

I second that Dave. I am glad this subject was brought to attention to the Stephens Stock Cur dogs. I found them to be excellent spring summer Coon dogs but doesn’t compare to the trailing of a hound dog on a cold winter night.

Old Post 10-13-2022 12:04 PM
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by DL NH
Thanks for that! I never have seen one of the Stephen’s Stock dogs and have never had the opportunity to hunt with a Mountain Cur. There was a couple of brothers that were well known bear hunters in VT that use to have some Mountain Curs in their bear pack. There were some guys in my area who had purchased pups they raised from these dogs they had. I was told the Mt. Curs these fellas had were gritty and would put the bite on a bear.

There was a original Mt cur dog named Manning’s Texas Smoke who was a squirrel champion and world champion coon dog… his pups were gritty hog dogs and would put lots of bite on a bear…hard fast hunting and track dogs…I was lucky enough to buy a daughter from him who was out of a daughter to him as well…I bred her to a kemmer Mt cur who was gritty and good hunting dog…the kemmer brought long range winding ability…the best dogs I ever owned were from combining these two bloodlines together…

Old Post 10-14-2022 01:07 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
perry
UKC Forum Member

Stephens stock mountain curs

I ran across an old article in Full Cry. It was February 2004 by Jim Stephens. It starts with “Greetings from the Blue Grass State and the home of the Stephens Stock Mountain Curs.” If you get an opportunity take a look. It has a little history in it.

Old Post 10-14-2022 01:41 PM
perry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for perry Click here to Send perry a Private Message Click Here to Email perry Find more posts by perry Add perry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by DL NH

There was a original Mt cur dog named Manning’s Texas Smoke who was a squirrel champion and world champion coon dog… his pups were gritty hog dogs and would put lots of bite on a bear…hard fast hunting and track dogs…I was lucky enough to buy a daughter from him who was out of a daughter to him as well…I bred her to a kemmer Mt cur who was gritty and good hunting dog…the kemmer brought long range winding ability…the best dogs I ever owned were from combining these two bloodlines together…

Old Post 10-14-2022 04:55 PM
Texcooner
UKC Forum Member

For you guys that have hunted these Stephens dogs. How do they hunt compared to a good hound? Nose, range, good track dogs? I know they’re all different just like all hounds aren’t the same but generally how would you rate them? Thanks

Old Post 10-15-2022 08:08 PM
Texcooner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Texcooner Click here to Send Texcooner a Private Message Click Here to Email Texcooner Find more posts by Texcooner Add Texcooner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Texcooner
UKC Forum Member

For you guys that have hunted these Stephens dogs. How do they hunt compared to a good hound? Nose, range, good track dogs? I know they’re all different just like all hounds aren’t the same but generally how would you rate them? Thanks

Old Post 10-15-2022 08:08 PM
Texcooner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Texcooner Click here to Send Texcooner a Private Message Click Here to Email Texcooner Find more posts by Texcooner Add Texcooner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kyblackdogman
UKC Forum Member

The Stephens dogs seem to have a better nose than most curs they are open on track Coon hunting them. Usually they don’t hunt as deep as a hound. I really like their brains they will mind you like a child. I usually tell people they are a Coon dog that will tree squirrels but I have owned some that made really good squirrel dogs

Old Post 10-15-2022 08:26 PM