UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Self feeders
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
DAVE H
UKC Forum Member

Self feeders

Looking for some opinions on self feeders for the dogs, what is the good and bad with these?
I’m worried about them able to eat when they want and hunting them on full stomachs.
Do they regulate themselves?
Thanks for any info you can provide.

BLUE GHOST HAUNTED SKY

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-24-2022 02:17 PM
DAVE H is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DAVE H Click here to Send DAVE H a Private Message Click Here to Email DAVE H Find more posts by DAVE H Add DAVE H to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PreacherTom
UKC Forum Member

I feed all my dogs with self feeders. Seems they only eat a little at a time so you don't wind up taking them on a full stomach. When on full feed I don't think they eat as much as when I self feed. Now when I said I feed with self feeders it doesn't mean I always fill the feeders. Most of the time I feed one days ration at a time after hunting. I use the self feeders because it protects whatever feed they don't eat right away. If I am going to be away from home I fill or partially fill them so that all someone has to do is check the water. The main reason I feed every day rations is to see how much my dog is eating.

Old Post 06-24-2022 02:48 PM
PreacherTom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for PreacherTom Click here to Send PreacherTom a Private Message Click Here to Email PreacherTom Find more posts by PreacherTom Add PreacherTom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

Re: Self feeders

quote:
Originally posted by DAVE H
Looking for some opinions on self feeders for the dogs, what is the good and bad with these?
I’m worried about them able to eat when they want and hunting them on full stomachs.
Do they regulate themselves?
Thanks for any info you can provide.

It depends on the dog. I've had dogs that did great on them and some get so fat they no longer look like dogs. I've had dogs that would guard the feeder and not let other dogs eat. My friend still uses self-feeders and likes them. I prefer feeding every day. And rats and mice can be a problem.

Last edited by shadinc on 06-24-2022 at 02:52 PM

Old Post 06-24-2022 02:49 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joseph robinson
UKC Forum Member

self feeders

I try to always raise pups of a self feeder. I want a pup to always be able to eat and get it's full growth. I prefer to feed adult dogs daily.

Old Post 06-24-2022 06:51 PM
joseph robinson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joseph robinson Click here to Send joseph robinson a Private Message Find more posts by joseph robinson Add joseph robinson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2nd Mac
UKC Forum Member

I use self feeders all the time. Most dogs regulate themselves after a while. I’m around my dogs several times a day but still had rather have feed out whenever they want it.

Old Post 06-24-2022 09:52 PM
2nd Mac is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2nd Mac Click here to Send 2nd Mac a Private Message Find more posts by 2nd Mac Add 2nd Mac to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
redfeather
UKC Forum Member

i have used them for years,real good for pup,for more than one dog in pen one may get to guarding it but in all i like them,fill them up and dont have to worry about feed for a week or two. ps diamond small ferm droppings ,easy cleanup

Old Post 07-13-2022 02:27 AM
redfeather is offline Click Here to See the Profile for redfeather Click here to Send redfeather a Private Message Click Here to Email redfeather Find more posts by redfeather Add redfeather to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

I am a fan of self feeders but also with pups feed them from a bowl once a day. I can correct any aggression problems and also see if one doesn't want to eat which is a sign of a possible health problems. I recently had a few guys mention they lost a pup and it was verified to be worms by the vet but they said they wormed them. Good place to remind people to swap back and forth on wormers with pups. The worms can build a resistance to just one wormer.

Old Post 07-13-2022 03:03 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote