UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Best dog food?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Wlaeger
New UKC Forum Member

Best dog food?

What are everyone's opinion on best food for young dogs, price and quality in mind.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-13-2022 09:46 PM
Wlaeger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Wlaeger Click here to Send Wlaeger a Private Message Click Here to Email Wlaeger Find more posts by Wlaeger Add Wlaeger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dogwood Ridge
UKC Forum Member

IMO you can't go wrong with either Victor or Purina ProPlan.
Order online from Chewy.com

Old Post 02-15-2022 04:05 AM
Dogwood Ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dogwood Ridge Click here to Send Dogwood Ridge a Private Message Click Here to Email Dogwood Ridge Find more posts by Dogwood Ridge Add Dogwood Ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Wlaeger
New UKC Forum Member

Thanks will check it out

Old Post 02-15-2022 05:45 AM
Wlaeger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Wlaeger Click here to Send Wlaeger a Private Message Click Here to Email Wlaeger Find more posts by Wlaeger Add Wlaeger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ehill
UKC Forum Member

Tried Victor

Tried Victor after reading some reviews. My dogs wouldn't eat it. 3 cups would sit in dog dish for 2 days before they would eat it. Swapped back to Pro Plan. Cant go wrong with it

Old Post 02-15-2022 04:38 PM
Ehill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ehill Click here to Send Ehill a Private Message Click Here to Email Ehill Find more posts by Ehill Add Ehill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jd6400
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Dogwood Ridge
IMO you can't go wrong with either Victor or Purina ProPlan.
Order online from Chewy.com

Man I been feeding this for years but the recent price hike got me thinkin.

Old Post 02-15-2022 06:22 PM
Jd6400 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jd6400 Click here to Send Jd6400 a Private Message Find more posts by Jd6400 Add Jd6400 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Henry
UKC Forum Member

Imo

Pro plan.

NITECH 'PR' River Has Rizen
GRNITECH 'PR' Nowhere Hardware

Old Post 02-15-2022 06:27 PM
Josh Henry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Henry Click here to Send Josh Henry a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Henry Find more posts by Josh Henry Add Josh Henry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MUSKY
UKC Forum Member

I am using Joy 24//20 with great results and it’s about half the price of proplan and has more calories per cup. I have also had good results with Pride pro series too in the past.

Home of:
A couple old plugs

Old Post 02-16-2022 11:35 AM
MUSKY is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MUSKY Click here to Send MUSKY a Private Message Click Here to Email MUSKY Find more posts by MUSKY Add MUSKY to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JMiller
UKC Forum Member

Feed

I have tried the Joy, my dog like it seem to have plenty of energy but they just don't look very fat. I don't like to see the hip bones sticking up on my dogs. I was feeding Purina Dog Chow and they was doing good, but I was trying Joy. Guess I will change back.

Old Post 02-16-2022 09:56 PM
JMiller is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JMiller Click here to Send JMiller a Private Message Click Here to Email JMiller Find more posts by JMiller Add JMiller to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Outback1
UKC Forum Member

Black Gold or Value- Pak

Old Post 02-17-2022 11:05 AM
Outback1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Outback1 Click here to Send Outback1 a Private Message Find more posts by Outback1 Add Outback1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Triple K Kennel
UKC Forum Member

Food

I have fed EVERY dog food that is mentioned on here and NOTHING compares to Purina.....!!!
Even Dog Chow is Outstanding & better than most others mentioned.
If you are feeding anything besides Purina....then you are not feeding the BEST.

Tim

Quality, Dependable Coon Lights--Built by a Coonhunter for Coonhunters
==================================
** Superior Lights

** Sunspot Hunting Lights

** Zepp's--Quality Products

** Boss Lights

**Brighteyes Lights

** They Twist it until they start believing it themselves**

Purina Dog Food
** Proven Results **

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Competition Coonhunters and Politicians
** Win anyway you have to & tell everyone what they want to hear **

Old Post 02-17-2022 12:32 PM
Triple K Kennel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Triple K Kennel Click here to Send Triple K Kennel a Private Message Find more posts by Triple K Kennel Add Triple K Kennel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Robert Johnson
UKC Forum Member

Re: Food

quote:
Originally posted by Triple K Kennel
I have fed EVERY dog food that is mentioned on here and NOTHING compares to Purina.....!!!
Even Dog Chow is Outstanding & better than most others mentioned.
If you are feeding anything besides Purina....then you are not feeding the BEST.

Tim

This is getting scary. We agree on yet another point.

Johnson Creek Kennels
home of:
UKC Grand Nite Champion "PR" Yadkin River Addkis. Deceased 12/11/2016 RIP

2009/2010/2011/2012 AKC GA. State Leader and Supreme Grand Nite Champion Yadkin River Addkis

2010 ACHA Georgia State Champion Grand Nite Champion Yadkin River Addkis

PKC Champion Yadkin River Addkis

Bright Eye Lights

Treeing Walkers

912-663-5287 cell (perfered)

Old Post 02-17-2022 12:43 PM
Robert Johnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Robert Johnson Click here to Send Robert Johnson a Private Message Click Here to Email Robert Johnson Find more posts by Robert Johnson Add Robert Johnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tylergduncan
UKC Forum Member

Extreme Dog Fuel

Check out Extreme Dog Fuel. They are a small company but they make a outstanding product at a great price.

Their 30/20 is one of the few dog feed formulas on Dog Food Adviser that has 5 Stars.

I swapped from Victors which i liked but i love EDF. I know guys who went from feeding 6-7 cups a day of Value Pack to 2-3 cups of EDF with way better results.

you can find a retailer at Extremedogfuel.com

Old Post 02-17-2022 01:14 PM
tylergduncan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tylergduncan Click here to Send tylergduncan a Private Message Click Here to Email tylergduncan Find more posts by tylergduncan Add tylergduncan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
temcka01
UKC Forum Member

I ordered Extreme Dog Fuel just yesterday after listening to your podcast with them on. Looked into the reviews and dog food advisor. I'm looking forward to trying it. Very affordable and the owner Keith spent 20 minutes on the phone with me making sure I ordered the right formula and why it was the right formula.

For a new hunter like myself I hold a value in him sharing his knowledge and passion. Thanks Tyler

Old Post 02-17-2022 05:25 PM
temcka01 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for temcka01 Click here to Send temcka01 a Private Message Click Here to Email temcka01 Find more posts by temcka01 Add temcka01 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tylergduncan
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by temcka01
I ordered Extreme Dog Fuel just yesterday after listening to your podcast with them on. Looked into the reviews and dog food advisor. I'm looking forward to trying it. Very affordable and the owner Keith spent 20 minutes on the phone with me making sure I ordered the right formula and why it was the right formula.

For a new hunter like myself I hold a value in him sharing his knowledge and passion. Thanks Tyler

yes sir, you will not regret it i promise. Keith is a great guy and as been in the dog food business along time.

How many other dog food companies can you call the CEO and he will have 20 min conversation with you about dog feed?

Old Post 02-17-2022 05:30 PM
tylergduncan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tylergduncan Click here to Send tylergduncan a Private Message Click Here to Email tylergduncan Find more posts by tylergduncan Add tylergduncan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Triple K Kennel
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Food

quote:
Originally posted by Robert Johnson
This is getting scary. We agree on yet another point.

😁😁😁😁
We agree on a couple other things too....
* Brighteyes Lights
* Treeing Walkers

Tim

** Superior Lights

** Boss Lights

**Brighteyes Lights

Purina Dog Food
** Proven Results **

Old Post 02-17-2022 10:44 PM
Triple K Kennel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Triple K Kennel Click here to Send Triple K Kennel a Private Message Find more posts by Triple K Kennel Add Triple K Kennel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bluff1978
UKC Forum Member

k-9 rage dog food is affordable and very good

Old Post 10-05-2022 02:52 AM
bluff1978 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bluff1978 Click here to Send bluff1978 a Private Message Click Here to Email bluff1978 Find more posts by bluff1978 Add bluff1978 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BluetickHound22
UKC Forum Member

Pride Pro series 27/20 orange bag if that’s available around you. 50lb for $32 dollars around here.
Less clean up than dog chow.
Dogs are fat and slick and will keep the weight on a dog if hunting hard.
You can feed 3 cups of pride compared to 5 cups of Dog chow.
I used to feed Dog chow
Dog chow here is now 46lb for $27.

I feed several dogs and for the couple extra bucks it’s way more worth it to me. Feed less amount and easier cleanup.
I wouldn’t feed the Black bag Pride 24/20.
I’d stay with the Pro Series Lime green bag 21/17
Pro series Orange 27/20
Pro Series Red 31/22
Just my opinion.

Old Post 10-05-2022 05:08 AM
BluetickHound22 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BluetickHound22 Click here to Send BluetickHound22 a Private Message Click Here to Email BluetickHound22 Find more posts by BluetickHound22 Add BluetickHound22 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
coonhunter00
UKC Forum Member

I feed Pride Pro Series 27/20 (orange) during the Fall , Winter, and Early Spring when we hunt the most. Then I feed the Pro Series 21/17 (bright green) during the summer months when we don’t hunt as much. It’s a great feed. It’s in the top 3 dog feed I have tried over the past 15-16 years. Usually always have good solid stool, slick and shiny coats, and plenty of energy. But, the top reason is the price and availability in my area which is a huge factor for me. I get mine 2 1/2 miles up the road from me. Any other feeds I would have to drive 45 minutes to a hour or order online and have to depend on shipping.

Last edited by coonhunter00 on 10-05-2022 at 12:41 PM

Old Post 10-05-2022 12:38 PM
coonhunter00 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for coonhunter00 Click here to Send coonhunter00 a Private Message Click Here to Email coonhunter00 Find more posts by coonhunter00 Add coonhunter00 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Triple K Kennel
UKC Forum Member

Re: Best dog food?

quote:
Originally posted by Wlaeger
What are everyone's opinion on best food for young dogs, price and quality in mind.

It depends where you live as to if you can get some of these other Feeds mentioned.....such as Joy & The Pride.....But one thing about it, you will find Purina where you live.....it's everywhere from Farm Stores, Walmart, Dollar General Stores, etc. etc.
They have been around when other Feed Manufacturers are being Sold Out to someone else. They have stood the Test of Time.
Now to the Best part......their Feeds are EXCELLENT...!!!
Sure you will hear negative stuff.....that stuff never stops.
I don't have a Grown Dog other than my Wife's Chihuahua & she gets Purina One & does Outstanding on it. My OMCBA Pup gets Purina Puppy Chow & is slick & shiny on it. When I find me a Plott Dog then it will get Dog Chow.
Different Feeds are out there for sure....Feed what you can afford & what your dog's do good off. When I did try The Pride I used Different Formulas they had all the way up to their Pro Series & my Dogs did better on the Black Bag 24/20 or the 26/18 Blend.
It's Purina for my dogs though.
Tim

** Superior Lights

** Boss Lights

**Brighteyes Lights

Purina Dog Food
** Proven Results **

Old Post 10-05-2022 01:19 PM
bluff1978
UKC Forum Member

k-9 rage dog food is made in mexico Missouri and my dogs do great on the 24/20. slick looking plenty of go and less stools in the kennel. no grain in this food. its as good if not better then sportmix.

Old Post 10-06-2022 12:06 AM
bluff1978 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bluff1978 Click here to Send bluff1978 a Private Message Click Here to Email bluff1978 Find more posts by bluff1978 Add bluff1978 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BAS
UKC Forum Member

Dog Food

I have used Pro-plan, Victor and Joy. These are all great feed.
I am now feeding Extreme dog Fuel. From everything I am seeing it is a superior food to the other three I mentioned.
It is less expensive that others as well. If you can find it in your area it maybe worth trying. All I can tell you is what I am seeing.
Hope this helped

From my experience I would rank these four dog foods as followed:
1 - Extreme Dog Fuel
2 - Pro Plan
3 - Victor
4 - Joy

Thanks

Last edited by BAS on 10-07-2022 at 12:48 AM

Old Post 10-06-2022 09:31 PM
BAS is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BAS Click here to Send BAS a Private Message Click Here to Email BAS Find more posts by BAS Add BAS to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bowling
UKC Forum Member

Pro plan absolutely best on market for money I will never switch again. Finally learned my lesson.

Old Post 10-06-2022 10:55 PM
bowling is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bowling Click here to Send bowling a Private Message Click Here to Email bowling Visit bowling's homepage! Find more posts by bowling Add bowling to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote