UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > PUP TRAINING...What are the Negatives/Positives?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

PUP TRAINING...What are the Negatives/Positives?

What I have learned...
calling the pups to give them a vaccine...calling the pups to force a pill down their throat...calling the pups to catch them and put them back in the pen...

all of the above are negatives and the pups will loose trust in us...and that could be a minor setback or it could become a major setback...
so how do we fix it? don't feed the pups until it is time to put them back up...let the pups run until they are tired and have quieted down some...fix the bowl of feed and then call them to kennel and give a hand signal as they come, might as well teach them voice commands as they are running to kennel...feed them and pet them up good...feed in a big dish and give extra and the pups will learn to eat side by side without fighting because the bowl has plenty of food and no need to fight over it...let them live in the same dog house for a good while so they can learn to socialize in tight places and it is conditioning the pups to ride in the dog box with other dogs when older...feeding late in the evening and load them up so they can eat during the night...this also eliminates the black grackles and starlings from eating their food, and, this way I only feed once instead of twice a day...

wormer...no pills down the throat...I mix a little food with the broken up pill and the pups want more...for a vaccine...I do not call them to give them one...I have one ready and when they come by to get petted I ease them up on the picnic table and they get the vaccine and the pup never really paid any attention...keeping it easy and keeping a good relationship with the pups...we can call this building the foundation...

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-07-2018 03:50 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Reuben

Sound advise, I like positive reinforcement training. Dave

Old Post 03-07-2018 04:24 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

One of the most successful breeders and breed promoters of all time use to publish a full page ad on how to be successful with your new pup and oddly enough, many of the points he made were directly opposite of Ruebens.

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Old Post 03-07-2018 04:34 PM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nitehunter2004
UKC Forum Member

Guess we should give them all a trophy for eating the food they haven’t even earned yet.

Old Post 03-07-2018 05:09 PM
nitehunter2004 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nitehunter2004 Click here to Send nitehunter2004 a Private Message Find more posts by nitehunter2004 Add nitehunter2004 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

That is a great idea. If they don't tree a coon then don't feed them. Eventually you will only have pups that can tree a coon. The ones that can't/don't will starve.

Old Post 03-07-2018 05:29 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nitehunter2004
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
That is a great idea. If they don't tree a coon then don't feed them. Eventually you will only have pups that can tree a coon. The ones that can't/don't will starve.

I was thinking maybe we should give the trophy to the ones that earned it, they all got to eat!

Old Post 03-07-2018 05:46 PM
nitehunter2004 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nitehunter2004 Click here to Send nitehunter2004 a Private Message Find more posts by nitehunter2004 Add nitehunter2004 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BGathright
UKC Forum Member

Reuben

Your advice sounds too much like common sense. It can't be right.

Just kidding. Thanks for the reply.

Old Post 03-07-2018 07:20 PM
BGathright is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BGathright Click here to Send BGathright a Private Message Click Here to Email BGathright Find more posts by BGathright Add BGathright to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Re: Reuben

quote:
Originally posted by BGathright
Your advice sounds too much like common sense. It can't be right.

Just kidding. Thanks for the reply.

BGarthright...it’s all common sense but way back the litters of pups would be frustrating me...while 6 -8 weeks I could catch them and put them up and after a few more weeks they could out run me and then I would lose my cool and then I would get a little too harsh on them...thus a setback with them not trusting in me...

Thinking through the problem I realized what was happening...
But first I’ll explain why I was doing what I did...I fed them first and let them out immediately after they ate so they could empty out some in the yard before putting them up...this way the pen would keep a little cleaner...

The light bulb clicks on...if the pups are not hungry and they are having fun in the yard why should they want back in the kennel...I know I wouldn’t if I were a pup...

So I learned to let them out of the kennel and I let them play and learn while I cleaned the kennel...when playing they are working up an appetite...come time to put them up I call loudly as if I were calling them out of the woods and change the call now and then as they get older...as they come running I tell them to kennel as I give a hand signal...training and conditioning is very simple once we learn a few tricks of the trade...over the years I have learned to get by with the minimum training needed to get the most out of the pups...I still get on them as needed...but I keep it to where they trust me...

Last edited by Reuben on 03-08-2018 at 01:10 PM

Old Post 03-08-2018 01:52 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BGathright
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Reuben

quote:
Originally posted by Reuben
BGarthright...it’s all common sense but way back the litters of pups would be frustrating me...while 6 -8 weeks I could catch them and put them up and after a few more weeks they could out run me and then I would lose my cool and then I would get a little too harsh on them...thus a setback with them not trusting in me...

Thinking through the problem I realized what was happening...
But first I’ll explain why I was doing what I did...I fed them first and let them out immediately after they ate so they could empty out some in the yard before putting them up...this way the pen would keep a little cleaner...

The light bulb clicks on...if the pups are not hungry and they are having fun in the yard why should they want back in the kennel...I know I wouldn’t if I were a pup...

So I learned to let them out of the kennel and I let them play and learn while I cleaned the kennel...when playing they are working up an appetite...come time to put them up I call loudly as if I were calling them out of the woods and change the call now and then as they get older...as they come running I tell them to kennel as I give a hand signal...training and conditioning is very simple once we learn a few tricks of the trade...over the years I have learned to get by with the minimum training needed to get the most out of the pups...I still get on them as needed...but I keep it to where they trust me...

I like the way you think my friend.

Old Post 03-08-2018 06:19 PM
BGathright is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BGathright Click here to Send BGathright a Private Message Click Here to Email BGathright Find more posts by BGathright Add BGathright to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote