UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Tight track hounds
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
david.e.penley
UKC Forum Member

Tight track hounds

I'm i wrong to think, someone saying that a hound is tight mouth on the track is a nice way of saying that the hound is medium to hot nose track hound ?

DAVID PENLEY (828)- 635-6881

GRCH GRNITECH HONEY CREEK SPiDER R.I.P.
THE #1 REPRODUCER OUT OF GRNITECH 'PR' HONEY CREEK HARRY !

CHKC SUPER STUD, PKC CH, GRNITECH 'PR' HONEY CREEK SPIDER (SEMEN)

PKC CH. GRNITECH "PR"
LONE PINE T-REX (SEMEN)

PKC CH GRCH NITECH LEGEND'S LONE PINE TAR HTX (SEMEN)

THE TRUTH DOESN'T HURT ANYONE, IT JUST
PISSES THEM OFF !

BLACKOAK KENNEL
HOME OF:

PKC CH GRNITECH GRCH' PR ' WHITE'S LITTLE QUEENIE
( GRNITECH ' PR ' TURPIN'S INSANE CAIN x
CH GRNITECH 'PR' FROST BITE ) OUT OF TRACKMAN.
5 GENERATION ALL GRAND !
5th PLACE FINALIST 2017 WORLD HUNT

PKC CH GRCH NITECH "PR" LONE PINE TAR HTX
( Grnitech Lone Pine Legend and Grniech Stylish Daisy ) Triple Coma and Lone pine as close as your going to get it.
Tar is being hunted and being showed in UKC. Being hunted in pkc also.

"PR" Madcap's Insane Sue
( Grch Grnitech "PR" Insane Madcap and
Insane Gypsy ) " a natural"

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-23-2019 04:36 PM
david.e.penley is offline Click Here to See the Profile for david.e.penley Click here to Send david.e.penley a Private Message Click Here to Email david.e.penley Visit david.e.penley's homepage! Find more posts by david.e.penley Add david.e.penley to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

I always took the term tight mouth on track dog to mean the dog did not bark much. It was tight with his mouth. Never thought that term spoke about a dogs nose. But it would stand to reason if a dog isn't barking then it could slip on coon and have a lot of hot tracks to handle.

Old Post 07-23-2019 05:22 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

I had a silent dog and a open cold trailing dog and kept a little Bell on the silent dog and I could tell when he struck by the sound of that Bell. He struck several cooler tracks that ended up with a coon treed. But if he opened on track it would be a deer....go figure...lol

Old Post 07-23-2019 05:46 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Doesn't bark alot on the ground but not silent (still mouth).

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 07-23-2019 05:48 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
micooner
UKC Forum Member

To me tight mouth means either dang near silent or gives out like 3 or 4 trailing barks and the next you hear is tree fred.

Old Post 07-23-2019 10:07 PM
micooner is online now Click Here to See the Profile for micooner Click here to Send micooner a Private Message Click Here to Email micooner Find more posts by micooner Add micooner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CONRAD FRYAR
UKC Forum Member

Yadkin River Buck is a tight mouthed hound and can run any type of track, he does not say anything till he really starts pushing it and you will hear him grunting in the distance and maybe a short bawl hear and there but not many, then he will come treed with a double locate.

"Life is short boys, Hunt an intelligent hound"

Born in sin, convicted by the Word, saved by Grace.

Old Post 07-23-2019 10:43 PM
CONRAD FRYAR is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CONRAD FRYAR Click here to Send CONRAD FRYAR a Private Message Click Here to Email CONRAD FRYAR Find more posts by CONRAD FRYAR Add CONRAD FRYAR to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nathan Harder
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by CONRAD FRYAR
Yadkin River Buck is a tight mouthed hound and can run any type of track, he does not say anything till he really starts pushing it and you will hear him grunting in the distance and maybe a short bawl hear and there but not many, then he will come treed with a double locate.

My young hound is like that. Sometimes he opens, majority of the time he doesn't. But I have yet to determine that he is a hot nosed dog or a cold nosed because some tracks he opens only a few times before falling tree, sometimes its a couple hundred yards before falling treed. One thing is for sure tho is that he is **** accurate.

Iraq War Vet 03-04, 05-06
RECON
618-410-3034

Old Post 07-23-2019 11:41 PM
Nathan Harder is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nathan Harder Click here to Send Nathan Harder a Private Message Click Here to Email Nathan Harder Find more posts by Nathan Harder Add Nathan Harder to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Roy Grant
UKC Forum Member

David SHHHHH lol Queens brothers are tight on track. I would say they have good noses and accurate. Good lick with the new cross. Should be awesome.

Old Post 07-24-2019 02:26 AM
Roy Grant is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Roy Grant Click here to Send Roy Grant a Private Message Click Here to Email Roy Grant Find more posts by Roy Grant Add Roy Grant to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
david.e.penley
UKC Forum Member

Tight mouth hounds

Thank you Roy, i have my fingers crossed on this new cross.

No what i mine by tight mouth is a silent dog or one that will open two or three barks on the track then tree, wondering if they have a hot nose.

PKC CH. GRNITECH "PR"
LONE PINE T-REX (SEMEN)

PISSES THEM OFF !

BLACKOAK KENNEL
HOME OF:

5 GENERATION ALL GRAND !

( Grnitech Lone Pine Legend and Grniech Stylish Daisy ) Triple Coma and Lone pine as close as your going to get it.

"PR" Madcap's Insane Sue

Old Post 07-24-2019 04:55 AM
david.e.penley is offline Click Here to See the Profile for david.e.penley Click here to Send david.e.penley a Private Message Click Here to Email david.e.penley Visit david.e.penley's homepage! Find more posts by david.e.penley Add david.e.penley to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
skeets
UKC Forum Member

just because a dog dont open a lot on track dont mean there hot nosed and just because a dog opens on track dont mean there a cold nosed dog.

Old Post 07-24-2019 10:54 AM
skeets is offline Click Here to See the Profile for skeets Click here to Send skeets a Private Message Click Here to Email skeets Find more posts by skeets Add skeets to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
david.e.penley
UKC Forum Member

Tight mouth hounds

I was just wondering about this because i never had a silent or a tight mouth hound before and thought she just had a hot nose. Thank you all for your comments, you all have helped alot.

PKC CH. GRNITECH "PR"
LONE PINE T-REX (SEMEN)

PISSES THEM OFF !

BLACKOAK KENNEL
HOME OF:

5 GENERATION ALL GRAND !

"PR" Madcap's Insane Sue

Old Post 07-24-2019 03:05 PM
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

I hunt a female for a buddy pretty regularly that is stone silent on the ground unless she can about see the coon on the ground. She isn't a hot nosed dog, but she can locate coons better than most can. She can tree any type of coon, runners, layups, cold feeder tracks. Makes no difference to her. She wins a lot hunts by treeing more coons than the other dogs. Not by out striking them.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 07-24-2019 06:39 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

Live trap a coon take it off to an unfamiliar place to the coon and let it go about an hour before dark. Wait 2-3 hours and go back and turn your hound loose where you released the coon. If you've got a cod nosed coon hound it should open up on that track and trail it under normal conditions and tree it.

What coon hunters call a cold nosed coon hound would in many cases make a lion or bear hunter laugh. The majority of the hounds I've seen that only open a few times before they tree on a regular basis don't classify as cold nosed in my opinion.

Old Post 07-25-2019 03:44 AM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by novicane65
I hunt a female for a buddy pretty regularly that is stone silent on the ground unless she can about see the coon on the ground. She isn't a hot nosed dog, but she can locate coons better than most can. She can tree any type of coon, runners, layups, cold feeder tracks. Makes no difference to her. She wins a lot hunts by treeing more coons than the other dogs. Not by out striking them.

What registry sponsors coon hunts that will allow a known "stone silent" dog to compete in the hunts? That dog ought to be scratched pure and simple. That's a large part of why it's really hard to find a true cold nosed track dog that can move a track using its mouth according to the condition of the track. A good cold nosed hound isn't a slow dog. It's patient when it needs to be and can get up and roll with the best of hounds when there's heads up running.

Old Post 07-25-2019 03:58 AM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ghost14
UKC Forum Member

Dan, I agree with most everything you said. But there are cold nosed dogs that give little mouth while cold trailing. Usually, they will give more as the track gets better but I’ve watched them hit places scent was holding in frost and open good only to move it into the sunny side of a holler and never make a peep as they unraveled it across a long stretch of ground that the other dogs couldn’t trail across. Hit a shady place shielded from thaw under a laurel or something and open like it’s a lot warmer but it’s not, it just hasn’t went through as much change. Those same dogs can leave head down trailing and go a long way before ever opening more than here and there if they are truly good track dogs they are progressing forward and covering distance while that track is still far from good. My experience has been the few really good cold trailing dogs didn’t say a whole awful lot until they had a track moving where they were jumped or almost jumped. Let them take a track at 9 or 10am that they opened on at daylight that was froze in and nothing else could even smell. Walk into a place to check for sign and come back and let him take that track some will open a lot and some will not. I’ve hunted with only 4 or 5 that could trail that tuff of a track and none of them would say much on a track that old until it was jumped out of its bed somewhere. That’s bear. I know nothing about a lion.
Lots of people think they have cold nosed dogs. And lots of people have poor trailing medium to hot nosed hounds that make tracks appear older than they are. How many people have dogs that can trail themselves out 15 hours from now? Very few, most hounds today can’t even trail themselves out if they drop out of a race after a couple hours. I watch them on the Garmin, they can’t hold the line after 2 hours has gone by they will eventually just give up and fall out in a road after they went back and forth 20 times and still couldn’t sort there own track out.

Old Post 07-25-2019 05:01 AM
Ghost14 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ghost14 Click here to Send Ghost14 a Private Message Click Here to Email Ghost14 Find more posts by Ghost14 Add Ghost14 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

Ghost

Excellent post! I don't want a dog giving a lot of voice on a cold track but enough to let me know it's still on the job. I want the whole story which in essence is the dog telling me the conditions of the track by the way it is opening and the amount of ground it's covering.

Old Post 07-25-2019 11:45 AM
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by DL NH
What registry sponsors coon hunts that will allow a known "stone silent" dog to compete in the hunts? That dog ought to be scratched pure and simple. That's a large part of why it's really hard to find a true cold nosed track dog that can move a track using its mouth according to the condition of the track. A good cold nosed hound isn't a slow dog. It's patient when it needs to be and can get up and roll with the best of hounds when there's heads up running.

Pkc is what the kennel club is that you can run what you brung style hunts. And not many coonhounds can trail 15 hour old coon tracks. You're logic is apples to potatoes. Still food, still good for you but definitely not the same. If you compared bondage to coyote maybe. And it has to do with how much scent the critter leaves behind. I'd say the avg hound can smell a coon track under ideal conditions 2 or 3 hours at best. But switch that coon with a bear and there's 10 times more scent to start with.

I get what you're saying on track mouth. And you can change how much a dog opens. The dog I'm referring to is prime example of it. She was born a still mouth dog. If I was able to hunt her for a month at a time, she'd open on track more like she did as a young dog. The guy that owns her prefers a still mouth dog. And there's the flip side of things too. Where you have guys that want their dogs to never stop barking. So mouth has little to do with how a dog can smell or move a track hot or cold.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 07-25-2019 08:34 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sawyer Hortin
UKC Forum Member

It's what's between the ears that determines everything.

Old Post 07-26-2019 12:27 AM
Sawyer Hortin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sawyer Hortin Click here to Send Sawyer Hortin a Private Message Find more posts by Sawyer Hortin Add Sawyer Hortin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Sawyer Hortin
It's what's between the ears that determines everything.

Nah part of it is who's holding the leash.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 07-26-2019 12:38 AM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

The one holding the leash needs something between his ears as well.

Old Post 07-26-2019 12:56 AM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Redneck Mafia
Nah part of it is who's holding the leash.

I often wonder how many of my dogs problems/failure to live up to his potential are my fault. I tend to interfere too much. Gonna try to let this next pup figure out all he can own his own.

Old Post 07-26-2019 01:22 AM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
trsizemore
UKC Forum Member

silent hounds

will not own one this is the best part of the race

Old Post 07-26-2019 02:05 AM
trsizemore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for trsizemore Click here to Send trsizemore a Private Message Click Here to Email trsizemore Find more posts by trsizemore Add trsizemore to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
trsizemore
UKC Forum Member

silent hounds

will not own one this is the best part of the race

Old Post 07-26-2019 02:05 AM
trsizemore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for trsizemore Click here to Send trsizemore a Private Message Click Here to Email trsizemore Find more posts by trsizemore Add trsizemore to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CHEWBACH
UKC Forum Member

Bruce said it! love a tight mouth dog Not silent tho. open when it smeals track drift it out and open .not some raddle headed dog . call it using there brain if they have one. not so much mouth. has nothing to do with how much nose they have. off here got pups to hunt.

Old Post 07-26-2019 02:19 AM
CHEWBACH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CHEWBACH Click here to Send CHEWBACH a Private Message Find more posts by CHEWBACH Add CHEWBACH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc
The one holding the leash needs something between his ears as well.

Absolutely!

And Tom there is nothing wrong with tweaking one your way. The ones that over do it try working on 17 different things at the same time and shocking and toning till the dog has no idea what is expected of it.
All of ours have been shocked only a few times in there lives and don't wear a collar capable of shocking unless they are being set up for a specific purpose the 2 main reasons would be when it's time they may need broke off specific off game or they need their ears cleaned out to come when called. They know what is expected of them, hunt for coons without letting grass grow under their feet from the time they are turned loose completely indifferent to anything going on around them until they are either leashed under a tree or called in, that's it. They aren't perfect, none are but those are his conditions.

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Last edited by Redneck Mafia on 07-26-2019 at 02:25 AM

Old Post 07-26-2019 02:20 AM