UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Changing the length of the Hunt Time.
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hot and fast

quote:
Originally posted by Donnie Stevens
I'm curious how long does a dog have to roll in for 2nd tree before it's considered a backpacking covering puke ? 2 mins...30 seconds. ...10 seconds?

imo, anything after 3 min should not be on that tree. And I'm not big on a dog that can't think for itself. If they struck the same track but at different locations that's different. I like mine to be first tree, but if it gets beat on the track it needs to finish it. But I bet it won't be after 3 minutes before mine are at the tree.

And I agree Tar.......a mean dog is a mean dog. I like 1 that will stay treed with anything. And how my old hitch does that is by backing up away from the tree and giving that dog some room.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-24-2019 09:57 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Re: Changing the length of the Hunt Time.

quote:
[i]

I have always been of the belief that our hunt rules dictate the type of hounds we will end up with. The winners that fit the rules will be bred. A few years of breeding those winners and offspring will mold a different style of hound.

. [/B]

I believe the same thing...

Seems to me there needs to be checks and balances...
Example; a dog should pass a minimum required test before it becomes eligible for competition hunts...this way if a dog has this certificate then it is known that that dog has the qualities it takes to make a decent hunting dog...just an idea that makes sense to me...

Deep and alone probably wouldn’t pass...a dog that won’t hunt won’t pass the test...a pleasure type hound would pass the test but might not win the big hunts...but the overall quality of coon dogs will improve over the next generations...

Old Post 07-27-2019 03:14 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Bruce...my logic on certification prior to competition... I will try to keep short and not go off deep in detail as I really want to do...

Tweak a certification standard for the traits on what makes a pleasure hunting dog that can do it all and keeping it logical and simple...

And do not allow folks to build the standard that favors the flavor of the month dog...this way the handlers that only care about winning and not caring about what happens to the hunting dog breed in general is kept to a minimum...

So when competition dogs are certified then it is a known fact that he met a standard that is known to certify solid dogs...

The competition winners are winning because they exceed the standard...smarter dogs, better noses , faster and more accurate hunting dogs and maybe better handling...etc

There must be checks and balances...the certification standard would do that...while it won’t be perfect as anything else but would probably buy a 4th generation pup from dogs of this type...

Old Post 07-27-2019 10:34 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote