UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > 10 Night Tryout
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
5thgearwide
UKC Forum Member

10 Night Tryout

I’ve always kept journals on my hounds for personal use, and I’ve seen a few people do a training thread on here so I thought I’d give it a go for any interested viewers. I recently picked up a prospect that I have decided to give 10 nights out to prove to me if she’s worth keeping or not. She’s a 12 month old hound that’s built well in my opinion, smaller built but tight, slick haired, marked up pretty, good head and ears and an easy to get along with temperament. She was a little on the shy side at first but a couple weeks in she started really warming up to me. She likes women a lot better than men, and was deathly afraid of a lead when I got her but she has came to trust me in a short amount of time despite of whatever has happened in the past. She has seen 2 caged coons to date and did as much as I expected from a hound that “had barely been fooled with” and I also walked her into one tree in bear season (my game of choice with hounds) and once she saw the bear she was a jam up, every breath tree dog. I picked her up because I have a solid bear pack that will also tree coon, but I would like to have one dog dedicated to coon hunting. If she turns out the idea of some competition hunts have crossed my mind (as I am a pleasure hunter but she is a competition bred hound). Now that Yal have a background and you kinda know where we’re at I’m gonna give her 10 nights solo in the woods to see if she can make my team, so stay tuned.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-20-2020 04:37 AM
5thgearwide is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 5thgearwide Click here to Send 5thgearwide a Private Message Find more posts by 5thgearwide Add 5thgearwide to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bearhunter747
UKC Forum Member

You've got your audience riveted now, we'll be waiting for next post

Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid! (John Wayne)

Old Post 01-20-2020 01:46 PM
bearhunter747 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bearhunter747 Click here to Send bearhunter747 a Private Message Find more posts by bearhunter747 Add bearhunter747 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
5thgearwide
UKC Forum Member

Night 1-

Didn’t get in the woods till about 2 1/2 hours after dark, I would have preferred to get in the woods right at dark or a little before because that’s when the coon have been stirring here. It was a clear crisp night around 45 degrees and no precipitation. We walked 4.21 miles according to the garmin and spent the first half hour walking out an oak and hickory ridge that still hast some mast on the ground, then the rest of the time on the riverbank and then followed a feeder creek all the way back to the spring source. Cindy (the prospect) spent a lot of time at my feet tonight so I just repetitively put her on the lead anytime she came back then led her 50-100 yards till she showed interest in going again. Probably played this game 20 times but I believe she is getting the idea that I want her to go find something when she gets unsnapped. The deepest she went was about 200 yards but she did strike and work a coon track, so all in all I’ll chalk her first night out as a success. She seems to have gotten over her fear of the lead, she didn’t run any trash, she struck a coon although I believe she’s just hot nosed and can’t handle a 3 hour track, and she had no problem venturing in the dark. Yal stay tuned for night number 2.

Old Post 01-20-2020 01:55 PM
5thgearwide is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 5thgearwide Click here to Send 5thgearwide a Private Message Find more posts by 5thgearwide Add 5thgearwide to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lance Laymon
UKC Forum Member

From my personal experience if you are expecting to make a fair assessment of what you have for that age, I would make it 30 nights

Old Post 01-20-2020 03:57 PM
Lance Laymon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lance Laymon Click here to Send Lance Laymon a Private Message Find more posts by Lance Laymon Add Lance Laymon to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
5thgearwide
UKC Forum Member

I appreciate the feedback and respect your opinion, and I plan on giving her all the time she needs if she can show me the heart and drive I’d like to see in 10. I already feed 5 bear hounds that earn their feed and have 3 younger pups coming on that are already showing me what I want to see. I picked this gyp up somewhat as a challenge to myself and so far she has received free room and board. I already have 3 that will tree bear in the daytime and coon after dark but I would like for this gyp to develop into a straight coon hound that’s fun to hunt year round. She will get 30 nights 10 fold, and then some if she’s willing to meet me halfway in the first 10.

Old Post 01-20-2020 05:05 PM
5thgearwide
UKC Forum Member

Night 2

Tonight I quit work a little early to get the prospect in the woods right at dark. It was a big temperature difference in night 1 and tonight. 18 degrees with 5-10 mph winds. We walked the same ground as night 1 but we walked it in the opposite direction. Cindy improved in the fact that after I unsnapped her the first time she left hard and only came back 4 times tonight vs the 15-20 times from night 1. The deepest I saw her go on the garmin was around 250 yards, but at the same time I was constantly moving also. She showed interest in several different tracks but never opened tonight. At one point she climbed about 15 feet up a leaning tree trying to figure a track out. Another positive was on our way out we bumped a deer and I turned her loose on it, she ran all the way to the last place I saw the deer and came back. That could be a good sign or a bad one, personally I like to see a young dog run a deer if I’m goin to make a bear dog out of it. But maybe it means she’s gonna be a straight, or she has no nose. Time will tell. In short she left better tonight, hunted more, and refused to run a deer. Hopefully warmer weather in the forecast will help us out in the nights to come, stay tuned. She has 8 nights left to prove to me she’s worth feeding.

Old Post 01-21-2020 03:07 AM
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

10 nights for a green pup to show anything this time of year is difficult. Imo. It would take 30 nights to get a good read on the pup. And 15 of that is what it has for abilities. I wish you and her good luck in your adventure though.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 01-21-2020 09:28 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CX3
UKC Forum Member

This is my kind of post. I'm with ya pal. 12 month old dog being walked over 4 miles a night had better be getting after something in 10 nights.

John 3:16
You'd better believe it!

Old Post 01-22-2020 02:28 AM
CX3 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CX3 Click here to Send CX3 a Private Message Click Here to Email CX3 Find more posts by CX3 Add CX3 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
5thgearwide
UKC Forum Member

I had a few things come up after work this evening so I didn’t get in the woods tonight but I would like to try and clear a few things up. I picked Cindy up from a friend of mine that paid a pretty penny for her as a pup and due to circumstances he lost interest and patience in her. He is a dog man and has trained several nice coonhounds before her. He had showed her one caged coon and said she did well with it around 7 months so he had taken her to the woods a handful of times with little success before he lost faith all together along with getting slammed at work. I primarily bear hunt, but season is only so long and I love hounds so I coon hunt the rest of the year. I have 3 solid dogs that I can coon or bear hunt with and have fun doing it. I wasn’t necessarily in need of a prospect but when he asked me if I wanted her I figured what’s one more mouth to feed and another pair of boots to wear out? I picked Cindy up somewhat as a challenge to myself to try and make a solid coondog out of, but I realize not all dogs make it. I have yet to reveal her breed or bloodline for a few reasons but mainly because she’s not my breed of choice, but I try to hunt hounds, not colors. I have 5 hounds on the chain right now that are my breed of choice. They were striking their own tracks trailing and treeing between 6-10 months so I’m spoiled if you will, on how early I feel a hound should start. I’ve had Cindy almost 4 months now and I have basically just built a bond with her thus far, worked on leading, loading, coming when called, and recently showed her a caged coon and was satisfied with how she handled it and decided it’s time for her to earn her keep. My rule of thumb with young dogs has always been that I won’t quit on them as long as they show improvement every time out, I’ve labeled this thread a 10 night tryout to kind of hold myself accountable as well as Cindy. As long as she shows me a little more every time out she’ll get as much time as it takes to make her. In all honesty I don’t think 30 nights is enough to truly know a dog. I’ve been hunting my male dog for almost 6 years straight now and he still fools me every now and then. I appreciate all the feedback and I hope nobody takes this response the wrong way I’m just trying to give the viewers a little more background so we can understand each other a little better. Once again I appreciate the feedback, Yal stay tuned!

Old Post 01-22-2020 03:16 AM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

5thgearwide

I understand exactly what you are saying and how you feel about training. It seems like she was given some work by her previous owner but did not start quick, maybe her personality played a big part in her slower start. I agree that she should show some improvement every time you go hunting, if o only in how she hunts or the interest she shows while out hunting. I hate training dogs, so I buy only trained dogs mostly. However, I do get a kick out of a well started dig that is running and treeing that I can put the finishing touches on myself, but I want the dog to be smart enough to learn something every time I take them hunting. Learning what I want them to do and what I do not want them to do means everything to me, I hate a stupid dog that takes repeated lessons to learn what should be learned in a couple of lessons. Why waste time on something that is not going to satisfy you in the long run, especially when you have digs that do satisfy you at home. Hope she improves and you make a coon dog out if her, I can tell by your post that you know what it takes and will not just waste your time if the results are not that promising. Dave p.s. chubby fingers keep getting digs instead of dogs and I am to lazy to retype.

Last edited by Dave Richards on 01-22-2020 at 03:43 AM

Old Post 01-22-2020 03:40 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Imho and no offense meant by but this you cheated her out of 4 mo if she was never in the woods except for being lead to the bear tree so everything there is a new experience for her. Beginning training is usually not only the basics leading, loading and basic obedience coming when called, ect but exploring the woods learning to navigate them, fences and water being off the lead and out of the pen. I'm not sure exactly what your expectations are but I wish you well in your 10 nights. The first battle you've won at least she isn't just standing at your feet.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Last edited by Redneck Mafia on 01-22-2020 at 04:23 AM

Old Post 01-22-2020 03:51 AM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
5thgearwide
UKC Forum Member

None taken, my friend that I got her off of let her run loose from about 3 months to 6 months. She gets through the woods well, has no problems crossing creeks, rivers, getting through thick brush and fences. That’s another reason he kind of expected her to be farther along than she was. I’ve never tried to start with a dog somebody else has fooled with first so this is all a little different to me. I normally start with a pup or two or three... they run loose here on the farm till they start earning me phone calls from the neighbors, they have the leading, loading, coming when called, and shut up commands figured out by 3-4 months and most of them are running their own tracks at 6-8 months. But like say I’ve never started with one before that wasn’t raised here on the farm so she’s an experiment/project if you will. But I agree with you totally that she has been cheated out of some time. Thanks for the feedback! I enjoy hearing what everybody thinks and learning about others methods! Yal stay tuned.

Old Post 01-22-2020 12:04 PM
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

I love this thread... I wish there was a whole section on the message boards for journals.... but quite frankly I wish people would not comment on them... let the guy post his 10 posts about how the 10 nights go. Would be fun to read.

Old Post 01-22-2020 02:54 PM
houndsound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for houndsound Click here to Send houndsound a Private Message Click Here to Email houndsound Find more posts by houndsound Add houndsound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
5thgearwide
UKC Forum Member

Night 3

Got in the woods about 1/2 an hour after dark this evening and hunted Cindy with a seasoned hound and a well started pup younger than her. The patch of woods we walked tonight was new ground from nights 1 & 2 and didn’t seem to phase Cindy at all. After the initial cut Cindy went about 150 yards then came back so I leashed her back up walked about 100 yards and cut her again. From that point she went somewhere between 800-1000 yards pushing a track on her own, she opened several times on the track and was getting excited about it. I’m not sure what she was trailing and honestly don’t care I’m just happy to see her putting some pieces of the puzzle together. After awhile it seemed like she either lost interest or was just lacking confidence and she backtracked herself to the truck where she stayed until we got done hunting. The other dogs got struck, pushed a tough track and came treed in a big leaner that was resting in a pine, couldn’t see the coon but feel sure it was in the top. The weather this evening was the warmest of the week so far and it was a clear crisp night. I was pleased to see her go on her own, strike, and trail some. I was also impressed to see her backtrack herself all the way back to the truck, to me that’s an important trait for a dog to possess and I feel that it shows a decent amount of intelligence. Although she is not at the level I am used to seeing a hound of her age, she is making improvements every night, if she continues to do so I haven’t found a reason yet to give up on her, Yal stay tuned.

Old Post 01-23-2020 03:07 AM
5thgearwide
UKC Forum Member

Night 4

Suckered the wife into walking with me tonight, she rarely wants to go so that in itself was worth it. Twas a good night in the woods. 50 yards after we cut, we were treed, I wasn’t sure if somebody had pulled the old switcharoo on me or what was goin on. She has a hard chop on the tree and is a little rambunctious at the tree also, she wanted to run it and was almost flipping off the tree. Besides the fact that it was a farmers barn cat, I was quite impressed. Tonight seemed as if somebody had plugged in last years Christmas lights.... there are still quite a few bulbs that aren’t working, but for the most part they’re lit up. As long as they stay plugged in, we should be able to get some replacement bulbs for her. After the initial cut I only put her on the lead twice all night. Once was to pull her off the feline tree and the other was when we got near a house and the porch dog wanted to visit. The weather was the best she’s had so far, there is a front moving in that is supposed to bring some precipitation in the morning and I believe it had critters of all walks on their feet tonight. After I led Cindy off the cat tree about 100 yards I cut her again and off she went. The rest of my 1.5 mile walk she covered 4.6 miles according to the garmin. She hunted on the run the entire time, the second strike we got resulted in a nice 350 yard track on the garmin ended with a familiar “beep buzz Cindy Treed” but she wasn’t talking at all. I walked in to find her staring at a fat white fluffy slick tail clinging to a sapling for dear life about 6 feet off the ground. She gave me a look of confusion as I shined my light back and forth for a second then she went about her way again. I’m not sure what the difference was why she treed on the cat and stared at the possum but I’m just glad to see her doing something. At this phase I’m not worried about WHAT she’s trailing and treeing just as long as she IS trailing and treeing. It’s a lot easier to break a dog off trash than it is to make one go in my opinion. After the possum she went about 300 yards and struck a track red hot, that I’m assuming was a fox she took it about 400 yards one direction looped back went close to the same distance the other way and repeated a few times. On the garmin it looked like a big figure 8. After bolding the number in a few times I called her back and we made it to the truck. All in all it was a very productive night and I am pleased with how she’s starting to get the idea of things. She left good tonight, hunted the entire time, hunted on the run, struck a few tracks, managed to put a couple trees on the end, and ran a hot race of some sort to top it all off. With time and experience will come wisdom and confidence and as of now I’m looking forward too seeing her develop further so Yal stay tuned!

Old Post 01-24-2020 03:54 AM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Dog

I say you are making progress, good to hear, looking forward to the next hunt. Dave

Old Post 01-24-2020 04:46 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Trueblood85
UKC Forum Member

Looking forward to hearing how night 5 went

Old Post 01-26-2020 02:30 AM
Trueblood85 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Trueblood85 Click here to Send Trueblood85 a Private Message Find more posts by Trueblood85 Add Trueblood85 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
5thgearwide
UKC Forum Member

Friday night was nothing but rain rain and more rain. Saturday night weather wasn’t bad but I spent the majority of my day in the crawl space of an old farm house I’m remodeling, leveling floors and it wore me out. Call me lazy... but bed sounded better than a few mile walk in the woods dark, after crawling around on the ground for 8 hours. But the weather looks promising this upcoming week and I’m planning on getting Cindy out every night, Yal stay tuned!

Old Post 01-26-2020 01:25 PM
rick brocious
UKC Forum Member

Seems like it's starting to click for her . Can't wait to hear more .

Old Post 01-26-2020 01:48 PM
rick brocious is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rick brocious Click here to Send rick brocious a Private Message Find more posts by rick brocious Add rick brocious to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
5thgearwide
UKC Forum Member

Night 5

Well tonight I met up with Arnell, Burnell, Raynell, W.L., Lynell, Odell, Udell, Marcell, Claude, Newgene, and Clovis. We hunted along till we found John Eubanks and... well let me start from the beginning. Me, my cousin and my houndsman friend hit the woods this evening as the sun was fading into the western sky. We brought Cindy, a seasoned dog, her well started pup, and a green pup tonight. The weather was right for chasing ringtails, partly cloudy with a slight breeze pushing around the high 30 degree air. It was a good night. The first cut was a little sluggish as the dogs were checking each other out trying to decide if they should be in play mode, or hunt mode. Shortly thereafter they got down to business. The seasoned dog and her pup got in a holler to the right, Cindy chose the holler on the left. I’m starting to see an independent streak which could be a good thing, or not so good. But it’s too soon to tell. Cindy got about 800-850 yards deep, struck, opened a few times on a track, then seemed to have lost interest. About the time she was finishing up her big loop the seasoned dog and her pup fell treed with the meat so I walked Cindy into their tree. She wasn’t as excited as I had hoped she would be but she showed some interest so we harvested this coon. I gunshot confirmed my suspicion of her being gun shy, but it only lasted until the thud of the fur on the ground. We used the coon to get the pups excited before we cast them again. The second cast she didn’t want to leave my feet for awhile, possibly due to the gunshot? I’m not sure but it is something I will be working on with her. After I threatened to put her back on the lead she decided to go hunt. The seasoned dog struck a track and to my surprise Cindy was with her, and stayed with her all the way to the tree. She wasn’t treeing when we got there but she was checking trees, the seasoned dog was on a tree her pup was split 20 yards off and the rookies were smelling all around and checking trees trying to figure out why everybody else was screaming. To our surprise we had more than a normal split tree we actually had 3 coons sitting up, this is where John showed up and helped us pick out the lucky coon that we “gave a sportin chance” John got him out for us and gave him “the option of whuppin all them dogs” and what a show it was. The young dogs were excited, Cindy was chopping every breath, pulling fur, baying, bouncing, and just showed an absolute hate for a coon. I like that. After this we drug the coon to a tree and let the 2 green pups tree on it for a few minutes and they looked really good. When all the lights get fixed here I think Cindy is gonna make a nice little hound. We led the dogs 100 yards or so and turned the pups loose again, Cindy went back to the tree for more, which I kind of like, and came right back when called, which I also like. The well started pup got off on her own and had another coon. This was a prime example to me on how every dog starts differently, matures differently, develops differently, and require different attention. This pup is younger than Cindy and can already get it done on her own, but at this point I think Cindy May be able to do it alone in a couple months. They’re similar to humans in the aspect of development, some just require a little extra attention to get the same result and that’s fine. On the way back to the truck the two young pups showed real interest in a track and then were reassured it was the right track by the seasoned dog on the lead. Although they couldn’t straighten the track out it still makes ya feel better knowing they’re getting the idea. Tonight Cindy got deep in her own, struck her own track, ran it, came when called, fought a coon well, treed well on a dead coon, and recognized the right track after the fact. As of right now I think she’s going to develop into a nice little hound. She still has 5 more nights of tryouts before she makes the roster, and then she’s got to earn her playing time... but time will tell, so Yal stay tuned.

Last edited by 5thgearwide on 01-28-2020 at 06:15 PM

Old Post 01-28-2020 04:59 AM
yrphunter
UKC Forum Member

Sounding good! Really enjoy reading your posts.

PR Dry Branch's Thunder Braley
PR Dry Branch's foggy mtn daisy

Never forgotten-
PR Dutch Hollars Mtn Cry Diamond

Old Post 01-28-2020 12:47 PM
yrphunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yrphunter Click here to Send yrphunter a Private Message Click Here to Email yrphunter Find more posts by yrphunter Add yrphunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
critter
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yrphunter
x2

Old Post 01-28-2020 05:35 PM
critter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for critter Click here to Send critter a Private Message Click Here to Email critter Find more posts by critter Add critter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
critter
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yrphunter
x2

Old Post 01-28-2020 05:35 PM
critter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for critter Click here to Send critter a Private Message Click Here to Email critter Find more posts by critter Add critter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

X3 I enjoy the posts myself, got me pulling for her to make the grade. I love the way you describe the nights hunt, it's almost like I was there tagging along. Lol. Dave

Old Post 01-28-2020 06:37 PM
bearhunter747
UKC Forum Member

Like I said he has me riveted! Wake up every morning to see what he's posted

DAVE RICHARDS is it possible we could be kin???? I dunno

Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid! (John Wayne)

Last edited by bearhunter747 on 01-28-2020 at 07:04 PM

Old Post 01-28-2020 07:02 PM
bearhunter747 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bearhunter747 Click here to Send bearhunter747 a Private Message Find more posts by bearhunter747 Add bearhunter747 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote