UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > White River Refuge
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Cole Adams
UKC Forum Member

White River Refuge

A few friends and I are planning a first time trip to the White River Refuge to hunt the south unit in December. Was looking for some advice on when to avoid the crowds or areas to avoid, ect. Appreciate any help, thanks!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-05-2017 10:55 PM
Cole Adams is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cole Adams Click here to Send Cole Adams a Private Message Find more posts by Cole Adams Add Cole Adams to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ky split tree
UKC Forum Member

I have been looking into it myself and looking for information on it looks like a good time!

Old Post 07-06-2017 01:57 AM
Ky split tree is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ky split tree Click here to Send Ky split tree a Private Message Click Here to Email Ky split tree Find more posts by Ky split tree Add Ky split tree to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Doug Bowers
UKC Forum Member

Friend and I are thinking of going. Would like imfo on someone that's been allso

PKC SCH UKC DUAL GRAND TOUCAN SAM SEMEN

Also home to;ACHA LWSCH 'PR' Kentucky River Mundar ~ Sire is Kentucky River Rowdy (frozen Semen) BMOB 2013 Winter Classic
House's Lipper Hope x Kentucky River Rowdy
Broken Road's LITTLE TEXAS
LIPPERS STYLISH ROOSTER AT STUD
LIPPERS LITTLE TEXAS AT STUD.

"The WILL of God will never take you where the GRACE of God can not protect you

Old Post 07-07-2017 03:05 AM
Doug Bowers is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Doug Bowers Click here to Send Doug Bowers a Private Message Click Here to Email Doug Bowers Find more posts by Doug Bowers Add Doug Bowers to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

I look forward to it every year. Its a place that takes a long time to learn, you need to do a lot of scouting through the day. If you find a spot you like get there before dark to claim it. I think the coon population has been hurt by flooding the last several springs when they are having kittens. It did it this year again, The water just got out of there. Spend some time before you go looking at satellite imaging of where the lakes and creeks are and the best places to get around. Expect to run into other people and dogs, if a dog comes to you just leave it, the owner is somewhere around there. Lots of things to learn about it but I love it.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 07-07-2017 08:10 AM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BCotton
UKC Forum Member

Mike is right on. Been there the last five years. Between the logging on the refuge and the water just not the coons people tell me there used to be. However for a fella from central Texas it is lots of fun. Not too easy to just go there and start hunting. I started there with a fella been hunting it for 30 years and still learning my way around. Good luck.

Old Post 07-07-2017 02:57 PM
BCotton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BCotton Click here to Send BCotton a Private Message Click Here to Email BCotton Find more posts by BCotton Add BCotton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nathan Phenix
UKC Forum Member

Last year was my first time but went with buddy that's been several years. The walking is easy lots slew and creek that's hard cross even with hip waders. Several hunters but not impossible to get away but you stay long you will have dogs come in on you. Not as many coon as I was told or expecting. The flooding in spring had hurt kitten population but the water had also hurt the acorn crop. The coon I treed was small and thin.

Old Post 07-07-2017 04:14 PM
Nathan Phenix is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nathan Phenix Click here to Send Nathan Phenix a Private Message Find more posts by Nathan Phenix Add Nathan Phenix to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Daniel Donahue
UKC Forum Member

What

Is this event?

Old Post 07-07-2017 04:52 PM
Daniel Donahue is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Daniel Donahue Click here to Send Daniel Donahue a Private Message Find more posts by Daniel Donahue Add Daniel Donahue to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

I don't think the logging has hurt the coon population. If anything it will help it with more of a berry crop. What hurt them is the flooding in the spring after the kittens were born. I'm not talking a little water in the woods. It was 12 to 15 feet in the timber. Another problem is it used to flood and we couldn't hunt it every couple of years in the fall. For a long time it didn't do that and the coon were over harvested.

The roads are limited so the hunters are concentrated to certain areas. Its 160,756 acres, 251 square miles and only about 25% or less gets hunted. If you really want to get to where they are, get a boat that can go on white river.

Home Of:

Old Post 07-07-2017 05:29 PM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
H.W. Moore
UKC Forum Member

Primitive camping on the refuge, but cabins and electricity are available on the boarders. Atvs & side×sides are allowed and you'll differently want one & make sure you have a winch or come along. Very little cell phone service if any. Its good hunting but the population isn't near what it used to be and overcrowding is an issue at times.

Old Post 07-07-2017 05:55 PM
H.W. Moore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for H.W. Moore Click here to Send H.W. Moore a Private Message Click Here to Email H.W. Moore Find more posts by H.W. Moore Add H.W. Moore to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
H.W. Moore
UKC Forum Member

Best advice I can give-
1. If you're dog will me to or run any junk make sure it has a shocking collar cause at any given time you'll hear 1-12 dogs treed in different directions and deer, bear, & bobcat are plentiful.
2. If planning a short trip you'll wanna hunt/camp Tue-Thur.
3. Never enter without a GPS or compass and map it's very easy to get lost..

Old Post 07-07-2017 06:08 PM
H.W. Moore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for H.W. Moore Click here to Send H.W. Moore a Private Message Click Here to Email H.W. Moore Find more posts by H.W. Moore Add H.W. Moore to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

And make sure your dog is also broke off armidillos. If your dog isn't straight, you can be in for an awful lot of walking. If there hasn't been a lot of rain then the walking is easy. If there has then it can be pretty bad. And if your dogs get after a bear then you are in for a long night. There didn't use to be many bear but now there are quite a few.
If you are from an area with thin coons and have a straight dog that doesn't go to other dogs and don't mind crowds then it can be fun. But if you are from flat land and thick coons, then you might as well stay home.

Old Post 07-07-2017 06:28 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BCotton
UKC Forum Member

Nobody mentioned hogs. First time I went I kept smelling them and seeing sign. Fella with me from up there said they didn't have hogs on the refuge. Later that night saw a pack of em😄. Think they are getting pretty populated now.

Old Post 07-07-2017 07:19 PM
BCotton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BCotton Click here to Send BCotton a Private Message Click Here to Email BCotton Find more posts by BCotton Add BCotton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by BCotton
Nobody mentioned hogs. First time I went I kept smelling them and seeing sign. Fella with me from up there said they didn't have hogs on the refuge. Later that night saw a pack of em😄. Think they are getting pretty populated now.

Where you on the north or south unit, I seen a little sign around H lake on the south but it wasn't much and it was deep in the country.

Home Of:

Old Post 07-07-2017 10:27 PM
BCotton
UKC Forum Member

South unit. Saw a pack of 20+ 5 years ago. Been seeing and smelling them every year. Have a hog trap by one of the spots we go in to. This was right off the levy. Have even seen them on the levy.

Old Post 07-08-2017 02:21 AM
Ky split tree
UKC Forum Member

Any of you guys ever run into any cottonmouths??

Old Post 07-08-2017 03:07 AM
Ky split tree is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ky split tree Click here to Send Ky split tree a Private Message Click Here to Email Ky split tree Find more posts by Ky split tree Add Ky split tree to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

quote:
South unit. Saw a pack of 20+ 5 years ago. Been seeing and smelling them every year. Have a hog trap by one of the spots we go in to. This was right off the levy. Have even seen them on the levy.

You hunting snow lake or jacksbay? Only places I know with a levy?

Home Of:

Old Post 07-08-2017 03:37 AM
joey
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Ky split tree
Any of you guys ever run into any cottonmouths??

Normally to cold that time of year.

Home Of:

Old Post 07-08-2017 03:40 AM
high ridge
UKC Forum Member

The last two years that I have been there I have had 1 dog come into a tree. We hunt the smokehouse hill area. Hunt same spots every night. Just pull up along the road turn loose tree a coon and repeat till daylight.

I tell everyone that place is Gods gift to a coonhunter

It's a must go to place.

Some may have had problems in past I may have some this year but don't get bent out of shape worrying about anything.

Go down there, tree Coons, fellowship around campground during day with other hunters.

I can't wait till December

Old Post 07-08-2017 03:56 AM
high ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for high ridge Click here to Send high ridge a Private Message Click Here to Email high ridge Find more posts by high ridge Add high ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
H.W. Moore
UKC Forum Member

With below average coon population the last few years and the kittens decimated by flooding this year along with a Friday night opener I expect a full blown Circus😀 It'll be entertaining for sure.

Old Post 07-08-2017 03:41 PM
BCotton
UKC Forum Member

Gotta love the fellas driving round cutting in behind you or the ones come up on you on the trails, go 300 yards ahead and cut loose. Thankfully it hasn't happened too awful much but it does happen. Still have a good time.

Old Post 07-08-2017 10:57 PM
joey
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Gotta love the fellas driving round cutting in behind you or the ones come up on you on the trails, go 300 yards ahead and cut loose. Thankfully it hasn't happened too awful much but it does happen. Still have a good time.

Last year we got to a trail head waiting on dark, another guy comes up and we decide that the trail splits so I would go left and he would go right. He cut as soon as he got to the split. His went to mine, the next drop some guys came from 3 miles to us. After that I never seen anyone else till a few nights later. I dont care if one comes into me or not but my buddy was keeping hides. The 2 blue dogs that came into us would not get off the coon and ripped it to pieces. 90% of them are heading in after 10.

Home Of:

Old Post 07-09-2017 01:34 AM
Ky split tree
UKC Forum Member

It sounds like for the first time it would be good to find somebody to go with that has been before to learn the ends and outs

Old Post 07-09-2017 03:43 PM
joey
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Ky split tree
It sounds like for the first time it would be good to find somebody to go with that has been before to learn the ends and outs

That would be best but it not a must.

Home Of:

Old Post 07-10-2017 02:04 AM
joey
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by marpal
Anyone know why they outlawed, riding mules on the refuge?

It wasn't just white river they stopped them on all our refuges. Don't know why for sure.

Home Of:

Old Post 07-10-2017 06:38 AM
H.W. Moore
UKC Forum Member

I found a mule in 95 or 96 while looking for a dog one morning. Tied it up to a tree in the trail and it was gone a few hours later. Don't know if it came untied or there was a rodeo in the woods..

Old Post 07-10-2017 05:32 PM