UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > 50 cent hound
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
croatankid
UKC Forum Member

50 cent hound

I rescued a walker/beagle cross from a neighbor because he wasn't taking care of the dog. The dog kept getting loose and running around the neighborhood. This is a hard luck dog. He had gotten loose from someone and got hit by a car. Someone else found the dog on the side of the road and paid $1800.00 to have his rear leg put back together with two braces. I had his last brace removed and he was doing well. I hoped to find a home for him but so far haven't. So I started taking him to the woods with a couple of my dogs. He ran in front of my truck like a pro and started going with the other dogs. He doesn't like to come back though. So I put a shock collar on him. Last night he went out and didn't want to come back even though I made him squall several times but just ran away. So I left him and went to find my other crazy dog who was wondering along a fast two lane road waiting for the right car to commit suicide with. Today I went to find the 50 cent dog. I found him under a camper where he was hiding form a pack of pit bulls. The pit bulls had chewed him up. So now he's sleeping by my chair. His leg is swollen with a couple of small holes in it and his hind leg is bad too. I'll probably have to take him to the vet on Monday. Then my 50 cent dog will be $300.00 dog. I was hoping he was a world champion in the rough. Now I think he's just rough.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-23-2017 03:05 AM
croatankid is offline Click Here to See the Profile for croatankid Click here to Send croatankid a Private Message Click Here to Email croatankid Find more posts by croatankid Add croatankid to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
swamp1
Banned

Sounds to me like,he likes to hunt
Must be pretty smart too since he only got bit in one leg,once. I would go to tractor supply today and get bottle of antibiotic, about $8 and give it 1 cc and skip vet if it was me. I'd also give it half a aspirin for pain and inflammation with food. I bet it'll be better in couple days.could be a good one, never know. Found one years ago at tree with my hounds,treeing.no collar on him,he was a pretty sucker,all musled up,Average mouth. He was rough,named him cugo.kept him few yrs,he could flat tree a coon and was a treedog..was asked why I never hunted him in hunts,I just reply' d : I couldn't, he would try and kill a dog. Only seen one he couldn't whip,he was direct out of lipper,hunted pups with him. But,he could stand his ground,very well.Lol.

Last edited by swamp1 on 07-23-2017 at 06:20 PM

Old Post 07-23-2017 06:12 PM
swamp1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for swamp1 Click here to Send swamp1 a Private Message Find more posts by swamp1 Add swamp1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
croatankid
UKC Forum Member

I have 4 females, none of them are much count for anything but they do ok. I was planning to get a better black & tan or plot for my last dog. Now I have this spoiler. He is a very nice dog, and gets along well with all my females. I'm not one to cull a dog because I don't like it. I'm trying to make up for all the crap I did as a younger man. So far I haven't found a home for it. He just might be my last dog.

Old Post 07-24-2017 02:04 AM
croatankid is offline Click Here to See the Profile for croatankid Click here to Send croatankid a Private Message Click Here to Email croatankid Find more posts by croatankid Add croatankid to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
croatankid
UKC Forum Member

He's doing much better now. He can get up and move around, the swelling is going down. I think he's determined to remain my 50 cent dog.

Old Post 07-24-2017 04:49 PM
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

Glad he's doing better. We said 5 yrs ago after we lost our beagle/terrier cross that our rat terrier was our last dog. But we have her and 3 more. I think we'll always have a dog or 2 or 3 here.

Old Post 07-24-2017 08:58 PM
Rex Ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rex Ridge Click here to Send Rex Ridge a Private Message Find more posts by Rex Ridge Add Rex Ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

Glad he's better. Now if you will TRAIN him to come to you( instead of shocking and hoping he comes back) , you might not have this problem again.

Old Post 07-24-2017 09:29 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
croatankid
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Rex Ridge
Glad he's doing better. We said 5 yrs ago after we lost our beagle/terrier cross that our rat terrier was our last dog. But we have her and 3 more. I think we'll always have a dog or 2 or 3 here.

I'm 69 and if I live to be 89 and the last 5 years I'm out of it, that's only 15 years. I don't want to leave a dog for a stranger to care for.

Old Post 07-25-2017 12:03 AM
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

We're in our 60's, too. Hope to make it to our 90's like our parents. But we've both tested our guardian angels a few times and probably still do everytime we get on our Harley. I told my son what animals we have to find them good homes or put them down (especially my old horse and bury her in the back yd with her sister).

Old Post 07-25-2017 03:25 AM
Rex Ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rex Ridge Click here to Send Rex Ridge a Private Message Find more posts by Rex Ridge Add Rex Ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
croatankid
UKC Forum Member

If animals are high performers and not too old, finding a home isn't too big of a problem. But sorry, old dogs will find no place to go. While they will be golden to me, they would be worthless to anyone else. So it's up to me to out live them.

Old Post 07-25-2017 05:29 AM
swamp1
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by croatankid
I'm 69 and if I live to be 89 and the last 5 years I'm out of it, that's only 15 years. I don't want to leave a dog for a stranger to care for.
awe man,you got a good 14 more hunting yrs in ya, or more. Glad 50 cent is better,he be ready to roll again shortly. And may make a nice hound yet,you never know. Myself,I like them culls. Got a few now, all of a sudden,Bam,treed with the grease. Lol. Happy hunting.

Old Post 07-25-2017 05:44 AM
swamp1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for swamp1 Click here to Send swamp1 a Private Message Find more posts by swamp1 Add swamp1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote