UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Curs and Feists > BMC in my future?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
LazyKB
New UKC Forum Member

BMC in my future?

Hello folks, I'm new to the forum. I came here to learn about BMCs. I am 66, presently live in WV. I hunt primarily deer, turkey and occasionally squirrel. I live in town and have no business owning a dog. But I love em. I raised and trained English setters for several years, also had a golden retriever I used on doves and ducks. The wife and I are planning a move to VA to be closer to the kids/grand kids. If we make this move I intend to buy a place with some acreage close to the mountains. I would like for it to be "out" and private. When I find it I want a dog. Not looking for world beating hunting dog, just one that will want to pal around the farm, live indoors, keep an eye on the place, help the wife feel safe, pay attention to what I tell him/her, and just be a buddy. I wouldn't mind if he treed a squirrel now and then, and learned to blood trail. He would have to be good with kids and other dogs, and stay on the place.

Does this sound like a BMC? Is this too much to expect? Would it be fair to a dog of this kind? Male or female. One strain better than another for what I want. (I know that will start a conversation.)

Thanks for your input, Interesting reading about your dogs.

KB

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-13-2017 02:36 PM
LazyKB is offline Click Here to See the Profile for LazyKB Click here to Send LazyKB a Private Message Find more posts by LazyKB Add LazyKB to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BradB41
UKC Forum Member

I don't know about using one to blood trail, but I suppose you could. Generally, you don't want your squirrel/coon dogs running anything but squirrels and coons, but if you could live with one chasing deer while you're squirrel hunting, go for it. I have one from Mr. Hutson that I love. He's obedient, a great hunter, and a good buddy. They might leave the property if you have woods around you as they will want to hunt, but they will come back. I have a buddy here in IL that has gotten a couple of dogs from Curt Ladner, and they've both been real good. That's my 2 cents...

Old Post 06-18-2017 04:01 PM
BradB41 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BradB41 Click here to Send BradB41 a Private Message Click Here to Email BradB41 Find more posts by BradB41 Add BradB41 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
knockemstiffeng
UKC Forum Member

ELK HOUND

We have owned an Elk Hound for the last forty years. Pet,guard dog,tree dog,blood tracker. They learn fast and seem to understand what you want. Do a little research on this breed I think one would work out well for what you want. Good luck, Kenny

Old Post 06-18-2017 05:48 PM
knockemstiffeng is offline Click Here to See the Profile for knockemstiffeng Click here to Send knockemstiffeng a Private Message Click Here to Email knockemstiffeng Find more posts by knockemstiffeng Add knockemstiffeng to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
danf
UKC Forum Member

do you raise hunting elkhound Kenny

Old Post 06-22-2017 11:30 PM
danf is offline Click Here to See the Profile for danf Click here to Send danf a Private Message Click Here to Email danf Find more posts by danf Add danf to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote