UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Breeding Observations.......
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

Unfortunately balanced hounds are not what is winning the bigger hunts. They are extreme in most cases.
Extreme deep hunters
Extreme babblers or extreme silent
Extreme fast
Extreme loud
Extreme independent
Extreme tree
Extreme accurate
Even Extreme attitude all to often
Most competition hunters breed there hounds for a box of chocolates. The reason is because they want Extreme traits not balance.
I do feel a breeding program should strive for balance. Natural ability being at the top of list.
Out crosses should be introduced improve traits that get to stagnant.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-02-2023 12:39 AM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by CONRAD FRYAR
I won’t talk about a particular sire on the board, but years ago, I bred to some of the sires in that category, and I did not recognize the pups that I was raising, changed the whole dynamics of the dogs, you could throw a grease rag on the truck and they would tree.
I learned a lot about balance from that ordeal.
For me it is accuracy and track that I must keep, you can get tree about anywhere…..lol
Sires are like tools in a tool box, need the right socket for the right bolt.
Most need to go back to track, tree has been focused on for too long.

This last paragraph hits the nail squarely on the head!! Good post and full of truth!

Old Post 06-03-2023 04:03 AM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ron Ashbaugh
UKC Forum Member

At a majority turn out rate surely Mr. Conrad should be able to point anyone interested in the direction of at least one top notch balanced male hound. You would think those would be a universal type socket....

Ron Ashbaugh
CROOKED FOOT KENNELS

Old Post 06-03-2023 09:19 PM
Ron Ashbaugh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Ashbaugh Click here to Send Ron Ashbaugh a Private Message Find more posts by Ron Ashbaugh Add Ron Ashbaugh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CONRAD FRYAR
UKC Forum Member

NTCH Yadkin River Buck
NTCh Hardwood Saul
Fryar’s Treeing Walkers on Facebook 😊👍🏼

"Life is short boys, Hunt an intelligent hound"

Born in sin, convicted by the Word, saved by Grace.

Old Post 06-04-2023 03:18 AM
CONRAD FRYAR is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CONRAD FRYAR Click here to Send CONRAD FRYAR a Private Message Click Here to Email CONRAD FRYAR Find more posts by CONRAD FRYAR Add CONRAD FRYAR to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by mike fleming
I Agree 100% I got a pup here in my pup pen super smart super loud will go hunting like a grown dog want be a year old till august put him in there when he was 4 months old he is gonna be a natural finally found out what he was out of yesterday been very curious.His daddy is Smoking Joe off your Redneck Mafia and Rats Hi Country Ann

That's awesome! I'm glad Joe is carry that trait in his pups too!
Joe is Shack's brother, he's a nice dog. Seems like yesterday they were running around here as pups and are now 10 years old. The cross on Ann was an exceptional one we made 2x.
Aside from certain abilities hunting and early starting I notice other little tendencies that carry through generations. Their mouth is one thing that recognize so much of the time. Countless times I've been sitting at the truck during a cast and Chey comes back and I ask him what dog was that he had drawn that goes back to our stuff. When I hear those big screaming mouths and locate and I know. A quirk most would never notice but we do is most hate bugs. Another, so many will be on top of their dog house rather than in it unless it's cold.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 06-04-2023 04:28 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ron Ashbaugh
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by CONRAD FRYAR
NTCH Yadkin River Buck
NTCh Hardwood Saul
Fryar’s Treeing Walkers on Facebook 😊👍🏼

Very nice site and it for sure looks like you are doing the work putting pups on the ground. Very nice setups you have also. Nice to see someone who knows what they want and is willing to make it happen good for you!

Ron Ashbaugh
CROOKED FOOT KENNELS

Old Post 06-04-2023 07:40 PM
Ron Ashbaugh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Ashbaugh Click here to Send Ron Ashbaugh a Private Message Find more posts by Ron Ashbaugh Add Ron Ashbaugh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CONRAD FRYAR
UKC Forum Member

Ron I appreciate it, been a long road and a lot of work.
These 2 lines of dogs are a pleasure to hunt.

"Life is short boys, Hunt an intelligent hound"

Born in sin, convicted by the Word, saved by Grace.

Old Post 06-05-2023 12:50 PM
CONRAD FRYAR is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CONRAD FRYAR Click here to Send CONRAD FRYAR a Private Message Click Here to Email CONRAD FRYAR Find more posts by CONRAD FRYAR Add CONRAD FRYAR to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote