UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Experienced coonhunters???
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
scott spivey
UKC Forum Member

Experienced coonhunters???

I’m thinking about posting a dog for sale on this site and just wanted honest feedback from some of the more experienced coonhunters on here. I’ve had a bad experience in the past shipping a dog on trial.After you’ve read my add it would be very helpful if you would answer the questions based on the info in my add. I welcome any helpful suggestions that you may have.
Top 4yr old Walker Male
Big hunter alone
Big mouth,super loud
Locate that is unreal
85% accurate
Needs any win to be a Nt.ch.
Has money won.
Real coondog and dogs like this are seldom ever for sale.
3500.00 Will not ship on trial.
1. How many yrs experience do you have?
2. How many times would you expect to turn a dog like this loose and get him off a tree with a coon in it?
3. Would you expect him to be straight??
4. What would be your expectation of Big Hunter Alone?

Last edited by scott spivey on 12-03-2018 at 04:48 AM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-02-2018 04:22 AM
scott spivey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for scott spivey Click here to Send scott spivey a Private Message Click Here to Email scott spivey Find more posts by scott spivey Add scott spivey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

45 years experience
3 different drops
Absolutely straight
No less than 800 yards
And absolutely not I'll in any way!

Old Post 12-02-2018 03:19 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nathan Harder
UKC Forum Member

Re: Experienced coonhunters???

quote:
Originally posted by scott spivey

3. Do you expect him to be straight??
[/B]

What does the term "straight" mean? What is the opposite in describing the dog? I never heard this.

Iraq War Vet 03-04, 05-06
RECON
618-410-3034

Old Post 12-02-2018 03:50 PM
Nathan Harder is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nathan Harder Click here to Send Nathan Harder a Private Message Click Here to Email Nathan Harder Find more posts by Nathan Harder Add Nathan Harder to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

I assumed he meant coon only no off game.

Old Post 12-02-2018 04:08 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wart
UKC Forum Member

On trail

I would not let one out on trial ever again the train button and tone button on the tracking system s can mess one up in a hurry many hunters don't know how or when to use it properly and could really mess up a dog on trail as long as your dog is as advertised you have no problem showing it to anybody and any serious buyer has no problem coming and hunting with it but it's might take a couple of nights of hunting

Old Post 12-02-2018 04:22 PM
wart is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wart Click here to Send wart a Private Message Find more posts by wart Add wart to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
scott spivey
UKC Forum Member

You are correct 2ol2hunt. Would you expect him to be broke?? Just to clarify ! How many times would you turn oohim loose and expect him to go until he gets treed and have a coon when he parks in good hunting territory. 1-3, 2-3, 3-4, 4-5, 5-5. Just wondering what a potential buyers expectations would be base on the add that I posted. I’d appreciate you posting your yrs. of experience. Thanks for the responses.

Old Post 12-02-2018 04:25 PM
scott spivey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for scott spivey Click here to Send scott spivey a Private Message Click Here to Email scott spivey Find more posts by scott spivey Add scott spivey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
scott spivey
UKC Forum Member

Amen to that Wart. I’m with ya, but what would your expectations be if you drove to my house to hunt with him??? Just curious.

Old Post 12-02-2018 05:03 PM
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

I guess the key words here are good hunting territory, if coons are plentiful 4 out of 5 is not unreasonable.But keep in mind this is just my opinion but someone else may see it totally different.

Old Post 12-02-2018 05:31 PM
scott spivey
UKC Forum Member

2ol2hunt your name suggests that you’ve been doing this coonhunting thing for a while. How long???

Old Post 12-02-2018 05:37 PM
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

Started bird hunting in 1965 then switched to coon hunting in 1972 been coon hunting ever since.

Old Post 12-02-2018 05:54 PM
swamp1
Banned

Trial

I would not let one leave me on trial, period! The steal button will mess one up, quick.

Old Post 12-02-2018 08:21 PM
swamp1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for swamp1 Click here to Send swamp1 a Private Message Find more posts by swamp1 Add swamp1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
scott spivey
UKC Forum Member

You got that right swamp1. How long have you been in the coonhuntin business.??

Old Post 12-02-2018 08:32 PM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Scott Spivey

The better question is, what would you expect from a dog that was priced at $3500.00? Put yourself in the buyers position and you should get some insight as to what a buyer would expect at that price. Dave

Old Post 12-02-2018 08:51 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

Your add describes a pretty nice hound that's what I'd expect to see. I wouldn't send a dog out on trial nor would I expect to get one on trial, unless it was local and I knew the guy real well and how he hunts his dogs.

1. 35 years

2. Three drops would be enough for me as long as he wasn't gettin struck under our feet.

3.Id expect him to be straight if you told me he was straight.

4. If you're d describing the dog as a big hunter I'd be more concerned about your definition of big hunter then mine.

I'd want to know your opinion of what his holes or weaknesses were. They all have them. I'd sooner be told of holes I didn't see that night then see holes
II wasn't told about.

Old Post 12-02-2018 09:35 PM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
scott spivey
UKC Forum Member

Thanks for your input Dave but I kind of answered the questions myself before I wrote the ad. Was just curious on how the more experienced coonhunters on here would respond and see how it lined up with my Thoughts on the same ad. Thanks again.

Last edited by scott spivey on 12-05-2018 at 07:42 PM

Old Post 12-02-2018 09:35 PM
scott spivey
UKC Forum Member

Hey Donnie. That’s exactly the response I’m looking for.almost. On question number 2 How many coons would you expect to look at on those 3 drops???As for my defintiion of a big hunter alone. That joker goes until he strikes a coon. If it’s 5 Step’s or 5 miles. If I were giving a prize for the best answer so far you have the blue ribbon my friend.

Old Post 12-02-2018 09:52 PM
scott spivey
UKC Forum Member

2ol2hunt just saw your post up top. It’s pretty dang good as well.

Old Post 12-02-2018 09:54 PM
Greg Coots
UKC Forum Member

If you really got one as good as that ad sounds you better keep him or atleast price him for $10 grand.

Old Post 12-03-2018 03:45 AM
Greg Coots is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Greg Coots Click here to Send Greg Coots a Private Message Click Here to Email Greg Coots Find more posts by Greg Coots Add Greg Coots to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
scott spivey
UKC Forum Member

Now that’s funny right there. Thanks Greg.

Old Post 12-03-2018 04:14 AM
Triple K Kennel
UKC Forum Member

$3500 Hound......

For $3500 a Man should be able to get a Pretty Good Hound.
But you cant take that for Granted....
I have seen a $4000 Price Tag on a Hound one time that I wouldn't have it if it was Given to me....LOL
Seen a $700 Dog once that was a Coon Treeing Machine.

I have been at this for almost 39 years.
Would want to Hunt the Dog as many Turnouts as I need to in One Night.
Better be pretty darn accurate ( 6 out of 8 )
When you Unsnap it....Pull off Tree Somewhere
No Trash or Deer
Hard Going---1000 yrds + ( if needed )

Tim

Quality, Dependable Coon Lights--Built by a Coonhunter for Coonhunters
==================================
** Superior Lights

** Sunspot Hunting Lights

** Zepp's--Quality Products

** Boss Lights

**Brighteyes Lights

** They Twist it until they start believing it themselves**

Purina Dog Food
** Proven Results **

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Competition Coonhunters and Politicians
** Win anyway you have to & tell everyone what they want to hear **

Old Post 12-03-2018 01:16 PM
Triple K Kennel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Triple K Kennel Click here to Send Triple K Kennel a Private Message Find more posts by Triple K Kennel Add Triple K Kennel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
scott spivey
UKC Forum Member

Thanks for the response Tim. Very helpful.

Last edited by scott spivey on 12-03-2018 at 03:07 PM

Old Post 12-03-2018 03:04 PM
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Kinda in response to what Tim said: Had a sure enough coon hunter ask me once what the difference in a $2500 dog and a $500 dog was. I said I wasn't sure. He said $2000 and most of the time that was the only difference. I know that is not absolutely true but there is some truth in it. By the way I've been hunting 60 years.

Old Post 12-03-2018 04:25 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
scott spivey
UKC Forum Member

I agree Mr. Wood. I think the biggest difference would be the expectations you’d have for each. Your answer is one of the reasons I wanted to get experienced feedback. I’d certainly welcome your answers to the 4 questions in my post . It would offer a lot of insight with the 60yrs of experience that you have. Thanks

Last edited by scott spivey on 12-03-2018 at 10:59 PM

Old Post 12-03-2018 05:36 PM
pigsit
UKC Forum Member

50 years

A good hunter can tell in three drops if he wants to take the dog home or not.

Depends, he should be able to tree a coon under your feet, if he's there, if not he should reach. Personally, I like a dog to hunt a mile, that's hunting a mile, not going a mile before he puts his nose on the ground.

Ive bought and sold as many good dogs as most, as a rule, you won't have any problems with a good hunter, they know what a good hound is and what to expect out of one, and they don't mind driving to see him operate, and they expect to pay a reasonable price for a good hound.

Advertise your dog, and you'll probably get a hundred phone calls, out of that, three might actually be interested, if you can get them to come see your dog operate, you probably have him sold.

Good Luck.

Dual GRNTCH Wendy
GRNTCH Cola
GrNtCH Honky Tonk Rock and Roll
Dual GRCH Bumper
Dual CH June
Dual CH Jill

Old Post 12-03-2018 06:09 PM
pigsit is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pigsit Click here to Send pigsit a Private Message Click Here to Email pigsit Find more posts by pigsit Add pigsit to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
scott spivey
UKC Forum Member

Thanks Pigsit. Good stuff.

Old Post 12-03-2018 06:52 PM