UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Thyroid medicine doses
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
LSO1103
UKC Forum Member

Thyroid medicine doses

I know this topic has been beaten like the proverbial rented mule so I’m not looking for debates on the legitimacy of tyroid problem. What I’m interested in is the dosage your dogs are on. I’d like to know what dosages you’ve tried and what dose you have found to work best for your dog.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-23-2019 05:29 PM
LSO1103 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for LSO1103 Click here to Send LSO1103 a Private Message Click Here to Email LSO1103 Find more posts by LSO1103 Add LSO1103 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
4play
UKC Forum Member

BOTH MY HOUNDS

Ended up on 1.0 to keep them around 3.0

**I give them with food.Better results if given at least 15 min before food**

Nitech Stylish Clover Shark Jill - RIP 'Ole Girl
{Great White Shark x Brush Creek Patch}

Old Post 01-23-2019 06:18 PM
4play is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 4play Click here to Send 4play a Private Message Click Here to Email 4play Find more posts by 4play Add 4play to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2nd Mac
UKC Forum Member

My female’s T4 was 1.0 which is the bottom of normal. Started giving her .4mg twice a day. Haven’t checked her since but am fixing to stop giving her medication. She has gotten insanely hyper.

Old Post 01-23-2019 09:24 PM
2nd Mac is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2nd Mac Click here to Send 2nd Mac a Private Message Find more posts by 2nd Mac Add 2nd Mac to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cleo
UKC Forum Member

Thyroid levels should ideally be checked monthly and meds adjusted until the dogs has "leveled out".
Once they are at a good point, blood should stay relatively stable.

~A man is only as good as his word~

Proud home to;

'PR' Kentucky River Fly Again (Kentucky River Rowdy frozen semen)
ACHA CHT x3 Broken Roads Little Texas (Kentucky River Rowdy x Houses Lipper's Hope)
CH Broken Roads Southern Stylish Boom (Kentucky River Rowdy x Houses Lipper's Hope)
Broken Road's Rowdy Lil Miss (Kentucky River Rowdy x Houses Lipper's Hope)
Broken Road's Meabie I will (Lipper's Rooster x Missy)
Broken Roads IMA Boomer2 (UKC NATL GRCH GRNTCH Honest Abe x Broken Roads Southern Stylish Boom
~~~~~Watch out!~~~~~
They just might make an IMPACT!

and the girls...Punkin and Tater!

Gone by never forgotten ~ Fly high my beautiful angels
~ GRCH GNTCH PKC SC Toucan Sam
~CH Toucan's Ugly Betty
~ CCH CH Southforks September Rain
~ Martin's Daisy JJ (what a beautiful litter you left behind)
~ Luke, the lab who brought us so many doves and ducks over the years
~ UKC GRCH,ACHA CH 2014 LWCH 2014 2 x's ACHA YOUTH WCH AKC CH AKC CH 'PR' Kentucky River Mundar ~ (Kentucky River Rowdy frozen semen) DNA Profiled ~ Fly high, old friend.

"The WILL of God will never take you where the GRACE of God can not protect you!"

Old Post 01-23-2019 09:35 PM
Cleo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cleo Click here to Send Cleo a Private Message Find more posts by Cleo Add Cleo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by 2nd Mac
My female’s T4 was 1.0 which is the bottom of normal. Started giving her .4mg twice a day. Haven’t checked her since but am fixing to stop giving her medication. She has gotten insanely hyper.

Delray been trying to tell them what happens when you give them thyroid pills when they don't need them. That's why them boys give it to them running those big hunts it amps them up !! You take a dog to the vet when it is sick its thyroid will check low get it over being sick before you get them checked as long as they are in normal range leave them alone. The thyroid rage is man made.

Simple as that !!

Tar

Old Post 01-23-2019 10:10 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wjoey
Banned

zero!!!

UKC PREFORMANCE SIRE Nt ch pkc ch BAM BAM The only one out of WORLD CH BIG D X GRNT SKIPPERS UMFORGIVEN SAIGE she has 21 pups 4nt ch 5 grnt ch thats 42.85%
He is a coon dog!
Nt ch ch Insane Minnie MouseInsane cain x Malden Branch Mouse

HOME OF 2 TIME AQHA HORSE OF THE YEAR
World champion working cow horse snaffle bit
SMART LITTLE LEGEND
ETCHA CHAMPION
HCHA CHAMPION
Top 16 NCHA WORLD Champion
Home of GHSRA All Around Cowboy Champion Chris wilbanks

Jerico Rebel our Movie star horse hes been in three films now 35 years old
Just passed away February 4th 2016

MY OLD DOGS GONE BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN
The one I will allways miss now deceased 01/09/2013
GR CH GRAND NT CH Handosme Trudy
SIRE PKC WLD CH GR NT WHATS UP DOC
DAM GR NT HUTCHINS SUGAR

GRCH GR NT CH COBBLER CREEK WENDY
GR NT STYLISH TUFF - WENDY X STYLISH LIPPER
GR NT STYLISH TACK - WENDY X STYLISH LIPPER

NT CH SOUTHERN STYLE - JP'S HIGH STYLE X HOUSES LADY

Old Post 01-24-2019 03:32 PM
wjoey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wjoey Click here to Send wjoey a Private Message Find more posts by wjoey Add wjoey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nitehunter2004
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
Delray been trying to tell them what happens when you give them thyroid pills when they don't need them. That's why them boys give it to them running those big hunts it amps them up !! You take a dog to the vet when it is sick its thyroid will check low get it over being sick before you get them checked as long as they are in normal range leave them alone. The thyroid rage is man made.

Simple as that !!

Tar

Now tar when a dogs levels are low Dr gives meds, when a dogs levels are high Dr gives them meds because a dog can’t function to his best ability with levels low or high, given a dog meds to make his levels high Makes no sense!
But hay it’s your story you tell it anyway you want but coming from someone that say they have Never owned or will own a dog that needs medical help don’t hold water.

GrNtCh Big Money
GrNtCh North Mt Mort
T&R’s Homemade Trouble

GrNtChGrCh Homemade Josie.
Homemade Tank.
GrNtCh Hardwood Bean (SEMEN)
GrNtCh Abbotts Bawling Rebel (SEMEN)
GrNtChGrCh Tj's Stylish Lipper (SEMEN)
GrNtCh Nite Life Pay Dirt (SEMEN)
GrNtCh PKC Ch Poison Smoke (SEMEN)

HomeMade Kennels
Newton N.C

2010 SETWA BREEDER OF THE YEAR!!
(828) 302-5480

Old Post 01-24-2019 03:41 PM
nitehunter2004 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nitehunter2004 Click here to Send nitehunter2004 a Private Message Find more posts by nitehunter2004 Add nitehunter2004 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tim Osborne

I can guarantee anyone that has a thyroid problem [ high or low levels ] will be more than happy to receive treatment to correct the problem. Google thyroid issues and review the medical evidence, DO NOT be misled by a uninformed person that has no medical knowledge. High levels of thyroid hormone WILL KILL if untreated, low levels WILL KILL if untreated, it's that serious. Dave

Old Post 01-24-2019 04:03 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnny reb
UKC Forum Member

2nd Mac whybin the world would you stop giving your dog the meds? How long has she been on the medication? As far as medicating a dog with thyroid medication to gain an edge it doesn’t quite work that way. Thyroid medication doesn’t work overnight either. After 4-6 weeks they should be checked again and every dog just like people are different on what is the exact level to be at for them to perform there best. You may even have a summer and winter level for them to be at there best.

Old Post 01-24-2019 04:13 PM
johnny reb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnny reb Click here to Send johnny reb a Private Message Click Here to Email johnny reb Find more posts by johnny reb Add johnny reb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2nd Mac
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by johnny reb
2nd Mac whybin the world would you stop giving your dog the meds? How long has she been on the medication? As far as medicating a dog with thyroid medication to gain an edge it doesn’t quite work that way. Thyroid medication doesn’t work overnight either. After 4-6 weeks they should be checked again and every dog just like people are different on what is the exact level to be at for them to perform there best. You may even have a summer and winter level for them to be at there best.
The only reason we put her on meds to st with was because of some short heat cycles an a minor skin problem occasionally. She cycled normal right before she started meds. She was still in the normal range just at the bottomsend. Kept her on them 7 weeks.

Old Post 01-24-2019 05:54 PM
2nd Mac is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2nd Mac Click here to Send 2nd Mac a Private Message Find more posts by 2nd Mac Add 2nd Mac to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2nd Mac
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by johnny reb
The only reason we put her on meds to st with was because of some short heat cycles an a minor skin problem occasionally. She cycled normal right before she started meds. She was still in the normal range just at the bottomsend. Kept her on them 7 weeks.

Old Post 01-24-2019 05:54 PM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Thyroid

Years ago there was a medical problem with people getting sick, some died. They traced the problem to a meat packing plant that was using the thyroid glands of the animals in their meat products. Cooking did not affect the thyroid levels and people with normal thyroid levels were getting too much thyroid hormones, some were fatal doses. New regulations forbid using the thyroid glands in any meats for human consumption. Our dogs may be getting meat that contains the thyroid glands as pet foods are not as regulated as human foods. Over dosing can be fatal to humans think what it would do to our dogs. Anyone dosing normal dogs with unneeded thyroid hormones is just a sick person, likewise not treating a dog that needs thyroid hormones is just stupid. Dave

Last edited by Dave Richards on 01-24-2019 at 06:26 PM

Old Post 01-24-2019 06:23 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by nitehunter2004
Now tar when a dogs levels are low Dr gives meds, when a dogs levels are high Dr gives them meds because a dog can’t function to his best ability with levels low or high, given a dog meds to make his levels high Makes no sense!
But hay it’s your story you tell it anyway you want but coming from someone that say they have Never owned or will own a dog that needs medical help don’t hold water.

They don't meet up to my expectations I correct them I keep my dogs healthy. After I correct them if that don't work I cull them and I sure don't give them a chance to reproduce offspring. That's my methods maybe why I ain't got to poke pills down their throat every day. We tied them on chains and shocked them for years so that don't hold water either. And I don't need money bad enough to sell anybody a thyroid or sick pup.

Let your conscience be your guide humans being treated I understand dogs are just dogs simple as that.

Tar

Old Post 01-24-2019 06:37 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
LSO1103
UKC Forum Member

Re: Thyroid

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
Years ago there was a medical problem with people getting sick, some died. They traced the problem to a meat packing plant that was using the thyroid glands of the animals in their meat products. Cooking did not affect the thyroid levels and people with normal thyroid levels were getting too much thyroid hormones, some were fatal doses. New regulations forbid using the thyroid glands in any meats for human consumption. Our dogs may be getting meat that contains the thyroid glands as pet foods are not as regulated as human foods. Over dosing can be fatal to humans think what it would do to our dogs. Anyone dosing normal dogs with unneeded thyroid hormones is just a sick person, likewise not treating a dog that needs thyroid hormones is just stupid. Dave

I agree with you Dave. I don’t understand why anyone would want to give a dog thyroid meds if they don’t need them. It a pain in the butt having to give a dog a pill twice a day everyday for the rest of its life. I wish my dog didn’t need them. And anyone that says this thyroid deal isn’t real has never had a dog with a thyroid problem and treated it properly. My dog is on 1.0 mg twice a day and he is doing a lot better but not completely back to what he was and I’m wondering if he needs to be on a higher dose. I personally only knew of 1 other dog that was on a higher dose than mine until I posted this thread. I have since learned that there are some dogs that are on a much higher dose than mine.

Old Post 01-24-2019 06:37 PM
LSO1103 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for LSO1103 Click here to Send LSO1103 a Private Message Click Here to Email LSO1103 Find more posts by LSO1103 Add LSO1103 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nathan Phenix
UKC Forum Member

quote:
They don't meet up to my expectations I correct them I keep my dogs healthy. After I correct them if that don't work I cull them and I sure don't give them a chance to reproduce offspring. That's my methods maybe why I ain't got to poke pills down their throat every day. We tied them on chains and shocked them for years so that don't hold water either. And I don't need money bad enough to sell anybody a thyroid or sick pup.

Let your conscience be your guide humans being treated I understand dogs are just dogs simple as that.

Tar

If thyroid problems are heraditary Tar just came up with cure if everyone else do the same.

Bayou Creek Black and Tan’s

Nathan Phenix
417-255-5697

Old Post 01-24-2019 07:04 PM
Nathan Phenix is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nathan Phenix Click here to Send Nathan Phenix a Private Message Find more posts by Nathan Phenix Add Nathan Phenix to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Nathan

Problem is it's never as simple as some would lead you to think, I agree that one should not breed and sell pups that are affected by genetics issues. Thyroid can happen outside of genetic traits. I know many people who have thyroid problems with none of their family having these problems. I don't blame anyone who will not own a thyroid dog, I myself don't want to deal with dogs with thyroid problems. However, if the dog was good enough, I would not hesitate to own and treat. Genetics is way more complicated and above most people's comprehension levels. Why are the redbone breeding still getting an occasional black and tan pup? Any combination of genes can affect what happens, some of these recessive genes show up many generations later, when the right combination exists. Experts can not predict with a degree of certainty when, or if they will show up. Now, we have all these so called experts telling us how to solve our problems. Advise is worth what it costs in most cases. Nuff said! Dave

Old Post 01-24-2019 08:37 PM
nitehunter2004
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Nathan Phenix
If thyroid problems are heraditary Tar just came up with cure if everyone else do the same.

The only way that would work is to cull the whole liter the good ones and the bad ones, the good ones will reproduce it on down the line, but we will never know because tar just culled and never had one checked!

GrNtCh Big Money
GrNtCh North Mt Mort
T&R’s Homemade Trouble

Homemade Tank.

HomeMade Kennels
Newton N.C

(828) 302-5480

Old Post 01-24-2019 09:11 PM
nitehunter2004 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nitehunter2004 Click here to Send nitehunter2004 a Private Message Find more posts by nitehunter2004 Add nitehunter2004 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nitehunter2004
UKC Forum Member

quote:

Tar

Tar I’m not saying you are worng or you are rite, but the fact is You don’t know because You never checked! Some of us has checked, some of us have done our homework, me taking advice or arguing with someone that has done neither is dumm on my part!

GrNtCh Big Money
GrNtCh North Mt Mort
T&R’s Homemade Trouble

Homemade Tank.

HomeMade Kennels
Newton N.C

(828) 302-5480

Old Post 01-24-2019 09:16 PM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Thyroid

I am not going to argue with anyone about Thyroid issues, to each his own. I do know that the Thyroid is a powerful little gland that we can not live without if not on meds. I take 0.137 pill every day and I am fine every time I get checked my levels are within the normal range. I am hypothyroid due to an autoimmune disease, my own body attacks my Thyroid and it does not produce enough hormones on it's own. When it first started on me around 10/12 years ago, I lost energy and would be freezing when my buddies were actually warm [ when hunting ]. I started having chest pains and went to a Cardiologist, he told me later that upon his first look he knew that I had thyroid problems. He sent me straight to get blood work and my THS levels were off the chart. It took months to get mine regulated, but it's fine now at the 0.137 dosage. My honest advise to everyone is to research and get the proper medical knowledge. Medical claims of several million Americans with thyroid problems and do not realize it. You CAN NOT detect from normal bloodwork, they have to do a THS screening. I had yearly checkups and bloodwork that did not find anything due to not checking the THS levels. I highly recommend everyone ask for a THS screening at their checkups. Dave

Old Post 01-24-2019 10:18 PM
Toad Hill
UKC Forum Member

Tar ,
Thyroid pill to amp em up ? naw ,,,,, wrong pill.

Old Post 01-24-2019 10:25 PM
Toad Hill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Toad Hill Click here to Send Toad Hill a Private Message Find more posts by Toad Hill Add Toad Hill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by nitehunter2004
Tar I’m not saying you are worng or you are rite, but the fact is You don’t know because You never checked! Some of us has checked, some of us have done our homework, me taking advice or arguing with someone that has done neither is dumm on my part!

I know we're it is genetically passed down from so I avoid it I base my culling on their performance in the woods !! I raise very few dogs so I don't have that big of a problem. What problem I do have is people giving their dogs pills for thyroid problems and breeding them selling them to the public without informing of it.

Tar

Old Post 01-24-2019 10:27 PM
Cyoung
UKC Forum Member

I hate to be the breaker of bad news but low thyroid levels is not hereditary IV got a really good friend that's has won at high levels in ever thing I will not mention his name or dog but he was in top twenty of world hunt this year and cought a bad break and this dog has a really bad thyroid problem worst IV seen this dog has two litter mates that's just as good as him one does some really big time winning also the other don't get comp hunted neather have thyroid problems .this dog has sired three litters of coon treeing machines and none of them has a thyroid problem .another good friend of mine had a female dog with bad thyroid problem he spent big time money on lab results at University of Michigan results came back 100 percent dog food causing her problem

Piney Creek Kennel
Pkc ch Grnitch Pr Hardtime Sue
(2018 St Jude 2nd over all hunt winner
High scoring grand nite Friday night
2018 Tennessee state hunt 2nd over all opposite sex winner high scoring grand night Friday night)
2020 Winter Classic overall winner.2nd Friday night 5th Saturday night.

Old Post 01-25-2019 02:31 AM
Cyoung is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cyoung Click here to Send Cyoung a Private Message Click Here to Email Cyoung Find more posts by Cyoung Add Cyoung to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

We all know walker dogs win high percentages of competition hunts. Now we need to find out why the super bad thyroid ticks bite mostly walker dogs.

Tar

Old Post 01-25-2019 03:14 AM
Toad Hill
UKC Forum Member

quote:
We all know walker dogs win high percentages of competition hunts. Now we need to find out why the super bad thyroid ticks bite mostly walker dogs.

Tar

Cause their the breed that lives closest to deer ? Never hit me till u brought it up

Old Post 01-25-2019 01:41 PM
Toad Hill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Toad Hill Click here to Send Toad Hill a Private Message Find more posts by Toad Hill Add Toad Hill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Toad Hill
Cause their the breed that lives closest to deer ? Never hit me till u brought it up

Your a genious!! And the walker dogs get shocked the most and pull on their chains the most to chase deer !!

Now we got to figure out why the high thyroid dog food only effects the walker dogs the most ?

Tarbaby

Old Post 01-25-2019 01:49 PM