UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Is it weird to favor a certain breed of hound
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
kybufford
UKC Forum Member

Is it weird to favor a certain breed of hound

I dont know what it is but im a huge Black and Tan guy. I've had some great walker dogs and hunted with good blue tick and English dogs. But something about a black and tan i just love. You guys have a favorite breed?

God only knows who we'd be without soldiers and Jesus.

Rack'em Up Willy pup
--County Line's Rammy(Rambo)

Black and Tans
TREE BANGIN White Boy
*UKC win Friday night Red Bone days 2021
BnT TREE BANGIN BUFFORD the start of it all

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-14-2019 04:35 PM
kybufford is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kybufford Click here to Send kybufford a Private Message Click Here to Email kybufford Find more posts by kybufford Add kybufford to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Huntnharris
UKC Forum Member

Nope, no different than anything else-trucks, sport teams, lights etc... everyone has there preferences, myself I’m a walker guy, mainly because that was the first Hound I had. Doesn’t mean I won’t hunt a different breed or acknowledge a good Hound because it’s not a walker.

www.harrishoundsupply.net

Old Post 01-14-2019 04:48 PM
Huntnharris is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Huntnharris Click here to Send Huntnharris a Private Message Click Here to Email Huntnharris Visit Huntnharris's homepage! Find more posts by Huntnharris Add Huntnharris to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ItsOlMander
UKC Forum Member

not weird at all!

i like black dogs and blue dogs. all of my current dogs are black dogs though

a good dog is a good dog, but i will always favor black/blue dogs!

- In Loving Memory of -
DEEP SPRINGS BLACK MAX
&
LEVIS SOUTHERN BLUE DOC

Old Post 01-14-2019 06:18 PM
ItsOlMander is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ItsOlMander Click here to Send ItsOlMander a Private Message Find more posts by ItsOlMander Add ItsOlMander to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

I was thinking about this a little while ago. I saw a picture of an English dog on face book that reminded me of one my Buddy had several years ago. One of the nicest hounds a man would want to hunt. Me, for some reason I just like a walker dog. But if I didn't like a the Walkers. I guarantee I could find one in whatever breed my choice was to compete. After all a good one only has to tree coon and that is not to much to ask from a Coon Hound.

Old Post 01-14-2019 07:14 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

For me my once in a lifetime dog was a walker and I have kept his descendants ever since trying to reproduce anouther like him. Came close but not anouther him. Had he been anouther breed that's what I would have.

Tar

Old Post 01-14-2019 07:23 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Apparently it is only weird if your breed of choice is a Redbone. I have been told many times that I am weird because I only hunt Redbones.
Everyone thinks that you are fine if you only hunt walkers, english, blk n tns etc.

Old Post 01-14-2019 10:32 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

Relax Mr. Lambert. We think you're weird for a lot more reasons other than redbones.

Old Post 01-14-2019 11:02 PM
yadkinriver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Doug Robinson
UKC Forum Member

Shane

Not weird and you should not care what other peoples negative opinions are of the individual breeds. Most people stick with dogs that they have had experience with in their area or as most of us the exposure to a breed of dogs growing up that we liked and hunted with our local friends or family.

A lot of people own several breeds.

I started with a Buck Creek bred Cur dog from Tenessee in the late 60's then went to Redbones. The best all round dog I ever owned (and I didn't know it at the time) was a little Redbone female I bought as a pup in 1973. Big bawl mouth, naturally straight, and the only dog I ever owned that treed with a dying bawl - very easy to hear the difference at tree like she was continually locating, absolutely beautiful tree dog and SMART. Richard she went back to a dog named Jungle Jim 17 times on a 7 generation pedigree. Oh to have that dog today!

I always liked the looks of a ticked up pup and got my first English dog in 1986 and had some nice ones. I have never bought a started or finished dog, I start all mine as pups.
Richard I would love to have a good Redbone today. If all these knotheads on here keep mocking the red dogs I just may get one and post all kinds of hunt pictures!!

Past Home of:
GRNITECH FCH GRCH ROBINSON'S SILVERTONE BLUSPECK HTX DNA-P
GRNITECH GRCH PKC CH ROBINSON'S RED LINDSAY
NITECH GRFCH GRWCH GRCH ROBINSON'S CROOKTAIL KATE
GRNITECH GRCH ROBINSON'S CIDERHOUSE LULU
NITECH GRCH GRFCH GRWCH RED RIDGE'S SUPER SHOCK Z HTX2
NITECH GRCH ROBINSON'S OATKA VALLEY ANNIE (BLUSPECK DAUGHTER)
NITECH GRCH ROBINSON'S JJ THUNDER SUE

Current
CH PR ROBINSON'S OATKA VALLEY JUNEBUG - (GRNITECH PKC CH RIVER BOTTOM'S CRACKER JACK X NITECH GRCH ROBINSON'S OATKA VALLEY ANNIE)

Last edited by Doug Robinson on 01-15-2019 at 02:02 AM

Old Post 01-15-2019 01:52 AM
Doug Robinson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Doug Robinson Click here to Send Doug Robinson a Private Message Click Here to Email Doug Robinson Find more posts by Doug Robinson Add Doug Robinson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Doug explained it pretty well with these words.
"Not weird and you should not care what other peoples negative opinions are of the individual breeds. Most people stick with dogs that they have had experience with in their area or as most of us the exposure to a breed of dogs growing up that we liked and hunted with our local friends or family.
A lot of people own several breeds."

But Doug threw in a bonus with his answer. He brought to the table the negativity many show towards different breeds.

Don't let the negativity towards any breed be mistaken as a dog problem. Is's a man thing. Men pick at Friends about different things they own or do. Just with Dogs it seems to dig a little deeper and stick a little longer. I can make fun of my buddies Dodge truck and he lets that roll off like water on a ducks back. Now mention his hound and he remembers your comments. Why? Dogs are a living thing and become part of a Man's Family. Many men put the love of their hound in its looks, how it sounds and what Doug mentioned. That breed is part of the Family Tradition. Most cases it runs deep in their lives. You doh't talk about a mans family.

Now the facts of the different breeds. If a man has standards no matter what color the dog is. He will have a good one in the color of his choice.

Last edited by Bruce m. Conkey on 01-15-2019 at 11:34 AM

Old Post 01-15-2019 11:31 AM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Would you say something bad about a man's wife? Then why would you tell a man that his dog was a babbler? Is it weird to think that the breeds other than your own are not that good?

Old Post 01-15-2019 01:46 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Good dogs in all breeds I don't know why but the blue dogs used to be the ones got picked on I don't know why because when I started in the hunts there were a lot of good blue dogs. Maybe they just like picking on the person not the dog.

Tar

Old Post 01-15-2019 02:00 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rocketman55
UKC Forum Member

I AM Partial And Im Not Weird

I am 63 years old, I have hunted registered English hounds since I was 22 years old. When I was 12 a school buddy of mine gave me a grade English, that I hunted with my Dad's Black & Tan while I was still in school. After graduating High School I got away from the hounds and chased the girls from 18-22 yrs of age. After turning 22 My Dad gave me my first registered English pup, which was related to the Grade dog my buddy gave me, and from that day forward I have NEVER in my whole career of hunting coon hounds EVER owned anything BUT an English hound. So Yes I Am Partial.

And Guess what, the one dog I own today goes all the way back to that 1st registered dog I was given in 1977 by my Dad, and as stated above shares ancestry with that first coondog I ever owned at 12 years of age.

Call me CRAZY, but if it AINT BROKE don't fix it.

One of the dogs in this pedigree was the 2002 ?KC world Champion English Male and then returned in 2003 to be that same ?KC World Champion High Scoring English.

None Other than UKC Grand Night Champion Hooper Ridge Rocket. Man I hope I get one more like him!!

Glouster, Ohio 45732
Home To:
Gr.Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Hang'em High Holly
Gr.Nt.Ch. Hooper Ridge Rockets Top Gun.
Gr.Nt.Ch.Hooper Ridge Rocket
Gr.Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Dolly
Nt.Ch Hooper Ridge Queen
Nt.Ch Raw Dawg Rowdy
PR Tree Banging Buddy
HOOPER RIDGE ENGLISH-POUND FOR POUND THEY ARE ONE TOUGH HOUND!!!!

Last edited by Rocketman55 on 01-15-2019 at 05:06 PM

Old Post 01-15-2019 05:03 PM
Rocketman55 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rocketman55 Click here to Send Rocketman55 a Private Message Click Here to Email Rocketman55 Find more posts by Rocketman55 Add Rocketman55 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rdmedders
UKC Forum Member

Re: Is it weird to favor a certain breed of hound

quote:
Originally posted by kybufford
I dont know what it is but im a huge Black and Tan guy. I've had some great walker dogs and hunted with good blue tick and English dogs. But something about a black and tan i just love. You guys have a favorite breed?

Do you pull for more then one collage football team?
Coonhounds are a lot like football teams for me!
Your team might loose from time to time but your always faithful!

Last edited by rdmedders on 01-16-2019 at 03:46 PM

Old Post 01-16-2019 03:48 AM
rdmedders is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rdmedders Click here to Send rdmedders a Private Message Click Here to Email rdmedders Find more posts by rdmedders Add rdmedders to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SHORN
UKC Forum Member

pride

Nothing wrong with having pride in your breed of choice.
I run mostly big game. I run mostly walkers but have feed pretty much everything, except a Plott. I have seen some pretty good Plott dogs over the years and would have liked to own them. One of, if not the best cold trailer I have seen was a Plott. But pride gets in the way every time. You see I have a hunting buddy that runs Plotts. We have givin each other so much crap over the other guys breed of choice that I couldn't keep face and hunt a Plott now even if it was a world champion. Be loyal to your breed but don't let pride keep you from hunting a good one.

Old Post 01-16-2019 02:16 PM
SHORN is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SHORN Click here to Send SHORN a Private Message Find more posts by SHORN Add SHORN to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kybufford
UKC Forum Member

I kinda like pulling up to go hunting and bringing out a black and tan. Them guys always wanna know what you gonna do with that thing. I havent had a black and tan for few years but im always look for one.

God only knows who we'd be without soldiers and Jesus.

Rack'em Up Willy pup
--County Line's Rammy(Rambo)

Black and Tans
TREE BANGIN White Boy
*UKC win Friday night Red Bone days 2021
BnT TREE BANGIN BUFFORD the start of it all

Old Post 01-16-2019 02:42 PM
kybufford is offline Click Here to See the Profile for kybufford Click here to Send kybufford a Private Message Click Here to Email kybufford Find more posts by kybufford Add kybufford to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MUSKY
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by kybufford
I kinda like pulling up to go hunting and bringing out a black and tan. Them guys always wanna know what you gonna do with that thing. I havent had a black and tan for few years but im always look for one.

You think you get some comments about pulling out a Black and Tan.... get you a leopard hound you will really get the comments then... but if you beat them it really leaves a sour taste in there mouths!😂😂

Home of:
A couple old plugs

Old Post 01-16-2019 04:13 PM
MUSKY is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MUSKY Click here to Send MUSKY a Private Message Click Here to Email MUSKY Find more posts by MUSKY Add MUSKY to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jakecumberledge
UKC Forum Member

I prefer having a blue dog and always have but a coon dog is a coon dog it dosnt matter the breed and right now I'm hunting a black and tan me and my dad own in the hunts and have a walker pup on the way

“PR”Woodland Country Side
“PR”Dukes Tree Bustin Duchess
“PR”Country Roads Ranger Jim

Beagles
CH GRHBCH Shenango Shylo
HBCH"PR"Shenango White River Bella
Woodland Drew Brees
Woodlands Blazin MJ
HBCH Woodland K Hello Dolly
“PR”Woodland Danger Ranger
State Line Gypsy

Old Post 01-16-2019 06:13 PM
jakecumberledge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jakecumberledge Click here to Send jakecumberledge a Private Message Find more posts by jakecumberledge Add jakecumberledge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DMW
UKC Forum Member

As all of you, I love tree hounds. All of the breeds. I respect all of them. I hunt walkers because that's what the people I started hunting with "successfully" had. I found a line of walkers I like, so I hunt them and love it. But I have always loved Redbones, even as a kid before I ever had an opportunity to go coon hunting, I liked Redbones. Maybe one day I'll switch over, who knows... LOL

...."Wilkes' Zoom".... (Straight off Dohoney's Tom Horn)
...."Wilkes' Brooke".... (Sackett Jr., Slow Talking Buzz bred)
morganwilkes1.wixsite.com/wilkeswalkers

Old Post 01-21-2019 12:10 PM
DMW is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DMW Click here to Send DMW a Private Message Visit DMW's homepage! Find more posts by DMW Add DMW to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ron Moore
UKC Forum Member

I believe that A lot of it may depend on what breed you start out with. Example, my first good coon hound was a Bluetick. I have owned several other breeds throughout the years but have always stuck with Blueticks. Not because I believe that they are the best but because I like the coloration, actions, mannerism etc...... plus I know the blood lines of most blue dogs in the country which helps when choosing the next hound. I am absolutely in no way saying that the blue dog is the best, heaven knows I've had my butt whipped by many of the other breeds but I've also handed a few out, LOL! I've never been a fan of bashing the other breeds cause I've seen top hounds in every breed and if most people are informed and are honest with themselves, they will admit the same. So many stereotypes have been put out over the years of certain breeds, ie... Walkers are slick treers and trashy, Blueticks are all track straddlers, Plotts are mean, etc. People who think this just haven't hunted with enough coonhounds of other breeds or are just going on old wives tails and hearsay. Hunt what you like and be open minded about the other breeds cause there's good in them all.

Old Post 01-21-2019 02:25 PM
Ron Moore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Moore Click here to Send Ron Moore a Private Message Click Here to Email Ron Moore Find more posts by Ron Moore Add Ron Moore to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Ron Moore

I too have hunted with every breed out there hounds and curs. I have either owned or hunted with top dogs in most breeds. I would own a top dog regardless of breed, when I am looking at coons eyes, I don't pay much attention to the dogs color. Lol. Dave

Old Post 01-21-2019 09:50 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
daniel urffer
UKC Forum Member

Can of worms.

I was raised with black dogs, still to this day they are my true favorite. With that said I have noticed over and over time and time again when you look at the casts and see different colored power houses draw one another the walker dog 9 times out 10 comes out on top. I have a buddy that says well that's because there's more then 1 walker in a cast and usually only 1 of the other's, but that's not true at all. Just recently at the world hunt there was 2 English, 1 B&T, and 1 Walker, I made the bet that the walker would win. The walker dog Throttled that cast. Just something I've noticed, I think most of your true competitors, the guys who are not color blind, the men who are out there solely to win will be leading a winner (usually a walker).

Old Post 01-21-2019 11:59 PM
daniel urffer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for daniel urffer Click here to Send daniel urffer a Private Message Click Here to Email daniel urffer Find more posts by daniel urffer Add daniel urffer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

I favor Redbones because they are the best.

Old Post 01-22-2019 12:06 AM
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

Re: Can of worms.

quote:
Originally posted by daniel urffer
I was raised with black dogs, still to this day they are my true favorite. With that said I have noticed over and over time and time again when you look at the casts and see different colored power houses draw one another the walker dog 9 times out 10 comes out on top. I have a buddy that says well that's because there's more then 1 walker in a cast and usually only 1 of the other's, but that's not true at all. Just recently at the world hunt there was 2 English, 1 B&T, and 1 Walker, I made the bet that the walker would win. The walker dog Throttled that cast. Just something I've noticed, I think most of your true competitors, the guys who are not color blind, the men who are out there solely to win will be leading a winner (usually a walker).
last year you would have lost that bet.

Old Post 01-22-2019 12:30 AM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chris Snyder
UKC Forum Member

Richard

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
I favor Redbones because they are the best.

The rest of this sentance goes, “at standing perfectly still on a piece of plywood with fake grass carpet nailed to it”. 🤣

Old Post 01-22-2019 12:51 AM
Chris Snyder is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chris Snyder Click here to Send Chris Snyder a Private Message Find more posts by Chris Snyder Add Chris Snyder to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Oh my goodness, no fake carpet.

Old Post 01-22-2019 01:49 AM