UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > How would you score?
Pages (4): « 1 [2] 3 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

They haven't babbled all night. 40 seconds after being cut loose they are struck, 1 minute and 20 seconds later they open again and get minused? And it's unsportsmanlike to strike a dog before the minute. I dont get it

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-11-2018 07:50 PM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Mine go 200 yrds looking for a good place to take a dookie just sayen.

Tar

Old Post 07-11-2018 07:51 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hoosier Man1
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by sleepy head
They haven't babbled all night. 40 seconds after being cut loose they are struck, 1 minute and 20 seconds later they open again and get minused? And it's unsportsmanlike to strike a dog before the minute. I dont get it

40 seconds they were struck both on 2 barks. Then a minute went by I stated they needed to show a track or be minused. Another minute went by( totalling 2 minutes after struck in) they opened up with mine who was legit struck and I got 50.

That is a babble. No track was evident and if there was they sure did a poor job proving otherwise. A guy made a statement on another post saying how can I smell a coon track and prove there isn't one? Well let me tell you it's not my job to prove there is a track that's what the dog is supposed to do.

Grand Nite Ch HOF PKC Silver Ch Heatseaker Unleash the Kraken(Grand at 15 months old) BBOA Overall 1st place X2, Tournament of Champions Finalist, National Bluetic Days overall winner, Autumn Oaks Grand 16x2 PKC SS Semi Finalist PKC State Hunt Final 4 UKC World Top 20
GRNT CH BLUES AMAZING GRACE
Trevor Hack
567-231-7413

Old Post 07-11-2018 07:58 PM
Hoosier Man1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hoosier Man1 Click here to Send Hoosier Man1 a Private Message Find more posts by Hoosier Man1 Add Hoosier Man1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Well if they only used two they had six minutes to spare jmo. Here is the deal when I said I would sneak into a tree to catch an aggressive dog ukc made it plain to me as a hunting judge you get to write down scores listen to your dog and everybody else's and you get a vote if you are out voted tuff you have no recourse on something the moh can't see jmo.

Tar

Last edited by yadkintar on 07-11-2018 at 08:18 PM

Old Post 07-11-2018 08:03 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hoosier Man1
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
Well if they only used two they had six minutes to spare jmo. Here is the deal when I said I would sneak into a tree to catch an aggressive dog ukc made it plain to me as a hunting judge you get to write down scores listen to your dog and everybody else's and you get a vote if you are out voted tuff you have no recourse on something the moh can't see jmo.

Tar

Grand Nite Ch HOF PKC Silver Ch Heatseaker Unleash the Kraken(Grand at 15 months old) BBOA Overall 1st place X2, Tournament of Champions Finalist, National Bluetic Days overall winner, Autumn Oaks Grand 16x2 PKC SS Semi Finalist PKC State Hunt Final 4 UKC World Top 20
Trevor Hack
567-231-7413

Old Post 07-11-2018 09:47 PM
Hoosier Man1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hoosier Man1 Click here to Send Hoosier Man1 a Private Message Find more posts by Hoosier Man1 Add Hoosier Man1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Hoosier Man1

I know I don't like it !! Guess we gonna have to start carrying sweet n low in our pocket lol !!

Tar

Old Post 07-11-2018 10:06 PM
Pat Bizich
Banned

The babbling rule needs to be eliminated.
Other rules are cut and dry.
Whether a dog is babbling is too much an opinionated call.
It is too prone to every individual judges interpretation of what they believe to be babbling that carries the score card from weekend to weekend.
I don't care how many years experience you have or believe yourself to be qualified to be able to think you absolutely know the difference.
IT IS AN IMPOSSIBLE TO CALL CERTAINTY 100 % .
It is not based on any ones qualified ability to factually determine if a dog is indeed babbling or whether the dog in question is just plain out nosing the other dogs. Or is an outstanding winding dog that the other dogs won't open. YES, not even when you see one running with their nose up opening every breath.
I personally witnessed over the years …

dogs with the ability that run with their noses in the air that were absolutely running air current scent not track scent.

dogs that open immediately upon getting scent ,shut up and reopen once they get the track lined out.

dogs that had way better noses then the average and would run the track a few hundred yards or so with the other hotter nosed dogs tagging along until there was enough scent for them to open.

I currently have a dog that has been accused time after time that she babbles.I have been made to turn loose in barren fields more than once to prove otherwise.
She will run tracks 200 yards or more at times before other dogs open with her or never do and at times gets treed with seasoned dogs at the base of a tree acting like stupid green pups.SHE WILL MAKE YOU A BELIEVER on nights you don't think a coon is stirring by getting treed with a coon.

I ask ,how can anyone that has never hunted with a dog know on the first turn out or subsequent ones unless it has indeed exhibited behavior relevant to possible babbling that any dog is absolutely babbling?You don't know my dog.

There are certain give away like a dog that barks all the way to the woods, the whole time they are being unloaded and released,etc.
Beyond that like the above question posed by Trevor. It was stated they never did it on any prior turn outs. I never would have even considered them babbling based on the info provided.

Why is every one so preoccupied about a babbling dog?Are you afraid of them beating you? The rules favor the tree dogs.
We hunt hounds not curs. I want my dog to have a good nose and open quickly.I don't want a lot of the hot nosed stuff being produced. And because guys are hunting dogs that can't smell or keep up to the dogs with good noses they get labeled babblers.
I ask is it okay to minus the innocent as long as we catch a few that are guilty.I think conversely it best be said " better a few guilty go free than to minus the innocent."

Gone but never forgotten:
NtChGrCh Dryfork Punkin
NtChGrCh Dryfork Little Blue Baby Doll
2009 Pa Show Dog Of The Year
GrCh Dryfork Little Black Book
Gr.Ch. Make My Day Sunny
Gone too soon RIP my baby girl
Gr.Ch. Black Dog Black Cherry
GrCh Dryfork Black Dog Raine
One of kind and would make a believer out of you when you thought there were no coon left
Home of:
2009,2013,2018 Pa. State
Show Handler Of The Year
CH. Power Pack Pepper
2018 Pa. Show Dog Of Year
Gr.Ch. Batman's Poison Ivy
2011&2013 WTDA Pa State Champion
2011&2013 Overall Hunt For The Cure
Ch. Jay's Greenridge Heidi
In memory of my best friend "Jay"

Last edited by Pat Bizich on 07-11-2018 at 11:15 PM

Old Post 07-11-2018 10:59 PM
Pat Bizich is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Pat Bizich Click here to Send Pat Bizich a Private Message Find more posts by Pat Bizich Add Pat Bizich to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

Pat, they do not favor the tree dog over a babbler. 100+75 beats 25+125 all day.

You are right, there are a few dogs that will do what you mentioned and can be accused of babbling, but there are more of them that are actually babbling and their owners think they have a cold nose. We do not have to be 100% to minus a dog. That's why the cast gets to vote on it. As a judge they are asking for my judgment of what a dog is doing. I could be wrong and if I am then call for a vote

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 07-11-2018 11:33 PM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Doug Terrell
UKC Forum Member

You say it was towards the end of the hunt
Let me ask what was the scores at that time of each dog ?
Just curious.

Phone # 937-213-1779

Old Post 07-11-2018 11:36 PM
Doug Terrell is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Doug Terrell Click here to Send Doug Terrell a Private Message Click Here to Email Doug Terrell Find more posts by Doug Terrell Add Doug Terrell to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Vic Stoll
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Doug Terrell
Just curious.

Gone but not forgotten:
Nt Ch Fanny's Midnite Blue Annie - aka Sodie Pop R.I.P. - I will miss you old girl

Nt Ch Becky’s Midnite Blue Hank - R.I.P. Old Boy, thank you for the memories

Gr Nt Ch S&E's Midnite Lite Blue Snow (Co-Owned with my good friend Harry Eidenier) - We had a blast following you ole girl!

Old Post 07-12-2018 01:12 AM
Vic Stoll is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Vic Stoll Click here to Send Vic Stoll a Private Message Find more posts by Vic Stoll Add Vic Stoll to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Doug Terrell
Just curious.

X2

Old Post 07-12-2018 01:45 AM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rip
UKC Forum Member

If you wouldn't have minused after the minute in the exact same situation then you shouldn't minus in the minute. The minute has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Were they babbling or were they drifting a track? Can't tell without being there.

I can tell you as a judge I have minused dogs for babbling way after the minute was up.

If at any time I feel they are babbling I am minusing them.

But if I don't think they are babbling then they won't get minused in the first second either.

I agree it's a tough call, but it is a call that needs to be made.

I for one have always felt it would be much easier without the minute. We didn't have near the babblers with the old rule that we do now. The minute just makes it harder to get the babblers.

Old Post 07-12-2018 01:45 AM
Rip is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rip Click here to Send Rip a Private Message Click Here to Email Rip Visit Rip's homepage! Find more posts by Rip Add Rip to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Pat Bizich
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by joey
Pat, they do not favor the tree dog over a babbler. 100+75 beats 25+125 all day.

You are right, there are a few dogs that will do what you mentioned and can be accused of babbling, but there are more of them that are actually babbling and their owners think they have a cold nose. We do not have to be 100% to minus a dog. That's why the cast gets to vote on it. As a judge they are asking for my judgment of what a dog is doing. I could be wrong and if I am then call for a vote

Joey,You know what I mean.125 for first tree dog .Money hunts are 100/100 but got the count down.If I am not getting first strike all night you will beat me with the first tree dog.
Also if you are not 100% sure my dog is babbling why for heavens sake would you want to minus my dog .You just proved my argument.You are guessing.
Few years ago there was a guy posted about how he had a consistent cast winner,Could not get the elusive 1st place.Could not figure it out.
I replied he needed to be getting in on more strikes . I like first and second type dogs on strikes and trees. And Mentioned this.On another cast I would beat the last strike first tree dog cast winner.

Man did I get slammed. How most guys replying would take an all night first tree dog over one that gets their share of both 1st,2nd strike/1st,2nd tree all night long .
What ever floats your boat. Dogs of this type I have had over years done their share of winning in hunts. I like what I got and hunt . Did I say I can't stand hot nosed dogs!!Like they say. Only one they got to please is me.

NtChGrCh Dryfork Punkin
Gr.Ch. Make My Day Sunny
One of kind and would make a believer out of you when you thought there were no coon left
Home of:
2009,2013,2018 Pa. State
Show Handler Of The Year
CH. Power Pack Pepper

Last edited by Pat Bizich on 07-12-2018 at 11:57 AM

Old Post 07-12-2018 02:56 AM
Pat Bizich is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Pat Bizich Click here to Send Pat Bizich a Private Message Find more posts by Pat Bizich Add Pat Bizich to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

Thet should E.

They shoulf adopt AKcs srike rule. Far and away the best. It promotes honesty and. fairness. Its the best.

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Old Post 07-12-2018 03:13 AM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

Thet should E.

They shoulf adopt AKcs srike rule. Far and away the best. It promotes honesty and. fairness. Its the best.

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Old Post 07-12-2018 03:13 AM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MOX
UKC Forum Member

Based on what I've experienced in UKC hunts over the years these dogs shouldn't have gotten minus and no matter weather it makes you mad or not sounds really convenient for you to make this call. Now other KC's would have probably minus theses dogs.

Old Post 07-12-2018 03:48 AM
MOX is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MOX Click here to Send MOX a Private Message Find more posts by MOX Add MOX to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
honalieh
UKC Forum Member

Babbling???

I would hardly consider this to be babbling. Barking once or twice when they hit a track, then drifting out is not babbling. I've seen babblers. They will strike when cut loose, and keep on opening until they hit a track.

The dog I'm hunting now will bark once or twice when she hits a track. Then she drifts out. Next bark may be 200-300 yards away, or it may be a tree bark. I consider her semi-silent, certainly not a babbler.

Several years ago (1993-2007) I had a female that would open once, and only once, on track. She would open one bark when she hit the track. Her second bark would be treed. I considered her to be silent. It seems that you'd call her a babbler.

What your score is, and what another dogs score is, is not a determining factor in whether or not a dog is babbling. The babbling dogs I've seen don't cover that much distance between barks. Most of the more accurate hounds I've seen DO cover distance between barks!

Old Post 07-12-2018 05:02 AM
honalieh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for honalieh Click here to Send honalieh a Private Message Click Here to Email honalieh Find more posts by honalieh Add honalieh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MOX
UKC Forum Member

honalieh (I would hardly consider this to be babbling. Barking once or twice when they hit a track, then drifting out is not babbling. I've seen babblers. They will strike when cut loose, and keep on opening until they hit a track.)

Could not agree more! If anything the babbling rule in many organizations has had a negative affect on our competition hounds. I see more counterfeit strike dogs that open there mouth when you turn them loose and keep it open till they or another dog actually does strike a real track or tree than I do good honest strike dogs.

Old Post 07-12-2018 09:54 AM
MOX is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MOX Click here to Send MOX a Private Message Find more posts by MOX Add MOX to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
T Felderman
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by JiM
Thet should E.

Old Post 07-12-2018 02:20 PM
T Felderman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for T Felderman Click here to Send T Felderman a Private Message Find more posts by T Felderman Add T Felderman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
damon shivers
UKC Forum Member

Dogs

One of mine doesn't babble but only barks maybe 5-10 time on a whole track and that's a long one. That being said if he bark I'm striking him because might be my only chance.

Nitech Ch PR Shivers Magic Lead-MagicXHooker
Breeder and handler and half owner of Nitech Grch Grwch Grfch PR Rock Acres Brutus HTX sire MagicXShelly
Cali- Ch Wch Grnite Shivers Magic Buckeye x Dual Grand Tuff

Old Post 07-12-2018 02:27 PM
damon shivers is offline Click Here to See the Profile for damon shivers Click here to Send damon shivers a Private Message Find more posts by damon shivers Add damon shivers to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hoosier Man1
UKC Forum Member

Re: Dogs

quote:
Originally posted by damon shivers
One of mine doesn't babble but only barks maybe 5-10 time on a whole track and that's a long one. That being said if he bark I'm striking him because might be my only chance.

And you are entitled to do that Damon. But I wouldn't suggest doing it right off the bat knowing your hound may not open again for a good ways.

Trevor Hack
567-231-7413

Old Post 07-12-2018 03:53 PM
Hoosier Man1
UKC Forum Member

Re: Babbling???

quote:
Originally posted by honalieh
I would hardly consider this to be babbling. Barking once or twice when they hit a track, then drifting out is not babbling.

If they are struck in right off they better not be drifting out to far without proving that initial track or they will be minused by just about any knowledgeable judge.

Trevor Hack
567-231-7413

Old Post 07-12-2018 03:59 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

I guess that I am not a very knowledgeable judge. Babbling to me is "loose barking". One or 2 barks when a dog smells something is not babbling. The rule doesn't say anything about "carrying a track out" or how many times they have to bark on a track or how much distance they can cover between barks. It also doesn't say that they can't open on a track, quit that track and go deeper and start another track.
Handlers/judges with 4th strike dogs are making all of that up to minus a dog that opens as soon as it smells something.

Last edited by Richard Lambert on 07-12-2018 at 04:21 PM

Old Post 07-12-2018 04:11 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I just don't sweat the small stuff babbling dogs are high strung most of the time high strung dogs make mistakes let um babble I will get them later for something else lol. If you watch the play by plays of the big hunts you will see how my theory plays out they get minus that cost them hunts jmo.

Tar

Old Post 07-12-2018 04:26 PM
Pat Bizich
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Pat Bizich
The babbling rule needs to be eliminated.
Other rules are cut and dry.
Whether a dog is babbling is too much an opinionated call.
It is too prone to every individual judges interpretation of what they believe to be babbling that carries the score card from weekend to weekend.
I don't care how many years experience you have or believe yourself to be qualified to be able to think you absolutely know the difference.
I ask is it okay to minus the innocent as long as we catch a few that are guilty.I think conversely it best be said " better a few guilty go free than to minus the innocent."

Just read all the varying "OPINIONS " that they feel constitute babbling .I rest my case.

NtChGrCh Dryfork Punkin
Gr.Ch. Make My Day Sunny
Home of:
2009,2013,2018 Pa. State
Show Handler Of The Year
CH. Power Pack Pepper

Old Post 07-12-2018 04:43 PM